Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Photoshop Help: Transparent Backgrounds

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 05:06 PM #1 of 15
Photoshop Help: Transparent Backgrounds

This has always been the biggest hurdle for me concerning Photoshop. I don't even know if I'm saying the right term, but I could use your help to improve on it.

I've been doing a decent job of cropping images and changing the height and width to create my avatars and sigs, but I've always wanted to take things further and create images that don't have any background to it (see Elixir's sigs for example).

So to jump on the EVA bandwagon that Qwarky has already beaten me to, I wanted to take the middle image from this page...

And create a sig keeping the same angles. But unfortunately, this is the best I could come up with using my current skills.

As you can see, I have a white background surrounding the top and bottom of the image. So I could use your help in creating images without any kind of background, which will allow me to become more creative with this and future signatures.

Most amazing jew boots
BIGWORM
"You're falling behind, mercenary."

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 05:16 PM #2 of 15
I'll have that for you right now.

How ya doing, buddy?
[ SCHWARZE-5 - Helger Collins ]
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 05:20 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 03:20 PM #3 of 15
There are two different format that would possibly support tranparent backgrounds, GIF and PNG, however, depending on the color and compression, both of those format can easily put your sig over the limit.

Here is one for PNG, which is about 170 kb

and this one is for .gif, 140 kb. Although I think its very possible to compress .gif much further then this.

Note: Certain browser does not support PNG alpha tranparency such as some version of Internet Esplorer

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 05:35 PM #4 of 15
So basically saving the image as a .gif or .png will create a transparent background?

I appreciate fixing the image for me, but I also want to learn how to do it on my own. I want to try and replicate the way Elixir does his sigs.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 05:44 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 03:44 PM #5 of 15
Eh, they don't do it automatically, but some software you only need to delete the pixle where you don't want and expose the background, and as you save, the software will autmatically save it as a tranparent alpha if you happend to save in those formats (like paint dot net) . Althugh it is sometimes easier to make "fake" transparencies, like using color matching the forum's background color.

Most amazing jew boots
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 05:59 PM #6 of 15
Yeah, I've seen that last method used around. I'd like details on how to do that as well. It's probably better to match the color of the forum (or anything else) as the background for my image.

And on the subject, I'd also like to know how Elixir can make random sigs appear whenever someone refreshes the page. I was going to PM him directly on how to do that, but if it's an easy method, do share. Appreciate the help as always.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 06:06 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 04:06 PM #7 of 15
I think that's done via a PHP script, where it refers a request for hot link to one of the image within a set directory.

FELIPE NO
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 06:17 PM #8 of 15
Well, I'll ask him about the details for it later. Right now I should focus on transparency. I'll try messing around with paint.net, but I'd still like to know how to create a background to match this forum's color, if it's easier (and I imagine it is).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 06:17 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 07:17 AM #9 of 15
Byt the way magi, you used the wrong method. This is a .gif and a .png 8 version at maximum quality, without compression. One advice though, for black and white images, just use whichever that has a smaller size, since the color quality doesn't play a role here. Which in this case, is .png 8, while .png 24 is for images with transparency and high number of colors.

Also, for Lix's method, you'll probably need your own site to host those images.

Just get a photoshop Soldier. Everything is made simple there.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Scarletdeath; Sep 10, 2006 at 08:13 AM.
Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 06:18 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 07:18 AM #10 of 15
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Well, I'll ask him about the details for it later. Right now I should focus on transparency. I'll try messing around with paint.net, but I'd still like to know how to create a background to match this forum's color, if it's easier (and I imagine it is).
This is a trick almost everyone knows by now but, quote me. See what I mean?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 06:21 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 04:21 PM #11 of 15
Originally Posted by Scarletdeath
Byt the way magi, you used the wrong method. This is a .gif and a .png 8 version at maximum quality, without compression.
Well, it is PaintDotNet.

<---- bum who still doesn't have photoshop.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 06:39 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 07:39 AM #12 of 15
Originally Posted by Magi
Well, it is PaintDotNet.

<---- bum who still doesn't have photoshop.
I thought you used photoshop for that =o

If you got your hands on PS, you'll dominate TCC

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 07:06 PM #13 of 15
ust get a photoshop Soldier. Everything is made simple there.
Got. I just don't know how to use all the tricks yet. My college campus has a Photoshop course, but I need about 2 or 3 pre-requisites to be able to sign up for it.

This is a trick almost everyone knows by now but, quote me.
Guess I'm in the minority. Please explain to me how to do it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 07:15 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 08:15 AM #14 of 15
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Got. I just don't know how to use all the tricks yet. My college campus has a Photoshop course, but I need about 2 or 3 pre-requisites to be able to sign up for it.
Believe it or not, everything I know on photoshop is self-taught. There is no reason not to try if you haven't taken any course since everyone has to start somewhere. You could look up on some stuff at good-tutorials.com as well.

Quote:
Guess I'm in the minority. Please explain to me how to do it.
The hexcode for the GFF BG color is #14194E. Just type in that code in photoshop to get that color.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 07:34 PM #15 of 15
Thanks. Also Causabon gave me a good tutorial (with visuals, even), so I should be all set.

http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/pr...wpm&pmid=68355

I have tried to figure it out myself. I play around with Photoshop as best as I could, but it's pretty tricky to figure out every little nook and cranny on your own.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > Photoshop Help: Transparent Backgrounds