Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Different Versions of Dreamcast

speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 03:05 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 02:05 PM #1 of 4
Different Versions of Dreamcast

I am seriously looking at getting another Dreamcast, and was just wondering about the different versions.

I originally had a Generation 1 white DC and it was rock-solid. I've heard that the GD-ROM unit goes out on them frequently however, so I want to get another solid one. Would I have to get one manufactured before September 2000 therefore? Also, the box I had was white with a picture of the Dreamcast on it. Are these the "good" ones? Are the ones with the picture of the controller on the front also "good" and solid, and will they play back-ups?

I would really like to get a new one, since I take care of my things better than anyone else would it would probably last longer than a used one. However, the only new ones I see are the ones with the picture of the controller on the front, and I suspect these are 2nd-gen.

I would like to be able to play back-ups as well as run EMU's. I don't normally do this, but since the Dreamcast is "dead" I see no problem. What would you suggest as far as which version to pick up?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 03:46 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 02:46 PM #2 of 4
Found this: apparently all DC's can run back-ups, but pre-September 2000 need 1 format, and post-September 2000 need a different format. Also, you can convert between the two formats.

How ya doing, buddy?
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 06:27 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2006, 12:27 PM #3 of 4
I have a HKT-3030 PAL Dreamcast, and it'll run all foreign (american/japanese) titles with a boot disc. It's irrelevant which version you end up buying since like you've found out, they're all capable of running foreign and burned titles.

I've heard that DC-X (which is downloadable, or purchasable) will work with any Dreamcast model. If you have a legit japanese Dreamcast game, unless you modchip the Dreamcast (surprisingly easy to do), there's no way you'll be able to have it boot automatically. This is where DC-X comes in handy.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
BIGWORM
"You're falling behind, mercenary."

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 06:10 AM #4 of 4
I think if the Dreamcast you buy after a manufactured date of October 2000, you'd be hardpressed to install a mod chip, as supposedly they don't play burned games "out of the box"

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
[ SCHWARZE-5 - Helger Collins ]

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Different Versions of Dreamcast