Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Mac: Consolidating .VOB files

RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:55 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 12:55 AM #1 of 11
Mac: Consolidating .VOB files

Hey guys so I've never really bothered with the whole ripping DVDs thing before but I tried it recently because I saw Battle Royale and wanted to save it before giving it back to my friends. I ripped it with MactheRipper and while that was a painless process I'm now sorta stuck with the main feature streched across 4 .vob files. And I was wondering if theres any application that can jsut combine these into one file, preferably an avi.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:23 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 10:23 AM #2 of 11
So you want a transcoding application. Why not just rip directly to AVI DivX using a piece of software like Handbrake? You can rip straight from the DVD to a DivX file without ever having to rip the VOB files to disk. Or you could use ffmpegX to compress them.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:56 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 01:56 AM #3 of 11
I have been fooled into thinking that macTheRipper was good! Time to get Handbrake!
(And cheers.)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 01:41 PM #4 of 11
MacTheRipper is really for just making copies. Rip, decrypt, strip region encoding, and make copies for all your friends.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 02:13 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 12:13 PM #5 of 11
Yeah, MactheRipper isn't bad, just used for different things, i.e. when you need the VOB files for some particular reason. HandBrake is quite useful though, as a one-step compression utility.

And, why DivX AVI anyway? C'mon now, this is the future! H.264 with AAC audio in an MP4 container!

I was speaking idiomatically.
MagicalVacation
I'm drunk on love... And beer.

Member 1330

Level 11.42

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:08 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 11:08 PM #6 of 11
AMEN!

And: MacTheRipper is great when you have to give in DVD's really quick and have no time to do the encoding straight from the disk. Like when renting new dvd's that have to be returned the day after... Or in your case, when you had to give the movie back immediately. Use it as a middleman.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:40 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 12:40 AM #7 of 11
Originally Posted by Cless
Yeah, MactheRipper isn't bad, just used for different things, i.e. when you need the VOB files for some particular reason. HandBrake is quite useful though, as a one-step compression utility.

And, why DivX AVI anyway? C'mon now, this is the future! H.264 with AAC audio in an MP4 container!
Just wanted to palm it off to a mate and such high technology would scare him.

So Basically MactheRipper creates a copy that's then made for burning back to DVD? I understand now.

FELIPE NO
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 08:15 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 06:15 PM #8 of 11
Originally Posted by RABicle
Just wanted to palm it off to a mate and such high technology would scare him.

So Basically MactheRipper creates a copy that's then made for burning back to DVD? I understand now.
Or anything else. It decrypts the original VOB files (MPEG-2 + audio + subtitles) and sets them on your HD to do with them what you will. Perhaps you want to extract subtitles to a text file. Maybe you want to demux the audio and video and just use one or the other. Maybe you want to convert to some odd format HandBrake doesn't support by using ffmpegX. There could be a lot of reasons to use MacTheRipper.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
MagicalVacation

Member 1330

Level 11.42

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 05:04 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 11:04 AM #9 of 11
Maybe you know how to extract the subtitles from the VOB files so I can then combine them with my H.264 .MP4 file? This way I can choose when I use subs or not. Although I don't really think it's possible to do so using quicktime as your MP4 player...

Right now, when I need subs, I just encode them directly onto the videotrack. It works really well using handbrake, but ofcourse then I no longer have the choice whether or not I want to use subtitles... :-s

Double Post:
Actually, I have another question... Handbrake doesn't want to encode dvd's where only the main .VOB files are available. It says it can't find any title... Only when I do a full dvd rip, it can find the titles to encode... But the .VOB files I have contain the full movie... Any solution for that problem?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by MagicalVacation; Apr 8, 2006 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 02:30 PM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 12:30 PM #10 of 11
Originally Posted by MagicalVacation
Maybe you know how to extract the subtitles from the VOB files so I can then combine them with my H.264 .MP4 file? This way I can choose when I use subs or not. Although I don't really think it's possible to do so using quicktime as your MP4 player...

Right now, when I need subs, I just encode them directly onto the videotrack. It works really well using handbrake, but ofcourse then I no longer have the choice whether or not I want to use subtitles... :-s

Double Post:
Actually, I have another question... Handbrake doesn't want to encode dvd's where only the main .VOB files are available. It says it can't find any title... Only when I do a full dvd rip, it can find the titles to encode... But the .VOB files I have contain the full movie... Any solution for that problem?
I use D-Subtitler to do OCR of DVD subtitles out to a text file. It can save 'em in a couple different formats. As to how to mux 'em into an MP4 file for softsubs in VLC or somesuch... I haven't done that before. I'm sure there's a way, but I'm not familiar with it.

As for your second question, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean you have ripped VOB files that Handbrake won't rip from? Because, no, it won't. You need an actual authored DVD to use Handbrake. For main-title VOB files only use something like ffmpegX.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
MagicalVacation

Member 1330

Level 11.42

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 03:43 PM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 09:43 PM #11 of 11
yeah that's what I mean... Pity :-(

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Mac: Consolidating .VOB files