Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Punch-Out for the Wii!

KCJ506
Fuck you assholes

Member 809

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2008, 07:21 PM #1 of 52
Punch-Out for the Wii!

N-Europe: News: Animal Crossing & Punch-Out!! Wii Detailed

Quote:
News: Animal Crossing & Punch-Out!! Wii Detailed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Nathan Whincup - Jul 11th 2008 12:13

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The latest issue of NGamer reveals information from a secretive source about Animal Crossing Wii and a new installment of Punch-Out!!

Those who purchased last month's issue of NGamer will remember that the British publication teased at the revelation of a new project from Nintendo's internal development teams. We received the latest issue of NGamer this morning, and it offers up some very juicy information indeed. Here's a snippet from their feature about E3 2008...

"And if all goes to plan (and our sources haven't played a mean trick on us), that hands-on coverage will be of Animal Crossing and Punch-Out!! Wii, aka Nintendo's great hopes for 2008."

The article goes on to say that Animal Crossing Wii has been finished for a while, and though it isn't an MMO as suggested by rumours earlier this year, it features heavy use of Wi-Fi sharing (and presumably multiplayer, as in Wild World).

As for Punch-Out!! Wii, NGamer claim that Balance Board implementation is on the cards for dodging and weaving, in addition to Wii Remote and Nunchuk controlled punching (which goes without saying) in the style of Wii Sports Boxing and Rhythm Boxing, which was included as a minigame in Wii Fit.

Stick with N-Europe for E3 next week for quality news and coverage from Nintendo's highly anticipated conference.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2008, 08:30 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2008, 06:30 PM #2 of 52
The problem with a potential Balance Board Punch-Out!! is that it will be hard for me to throw punches while staying on the board and maintaining the stance I want to keep in the game itself. Not to mention I'll have to fight the urge to step off the board and actually move around.

Still, a new Punch-Out!! would be nice to see.

Most amazing jew boots
DJDoeDoe
Carob Nut

Member 6403

Level 4.31

May 2006

Old Jul 12, 2008, 03:59 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2008, 03:59 PM #3 of 52
Woo! It's about time for another Punch Out!! I would spend hours playing Super Punch Out!! What the Wii Punch Out needs, though, other than somewhat cartoony graphics and simple gameplay is the same disregard for political correctness that it had in making PO!! and SPO!! The reason why the game was so fun wasn't only because you get to beat the shit out of stuff but also because you got to see how each character was colorful in his own unique sort of way. They lampooned everyone from the Japanese to the Italians.

I say they need to have stationary controls, like classic gamepad or GC controller and they MUST include a multiplayer function. The only con to the original two Punch Out games was the inability to beat the shit out of your friends too. The downside to playing a multiplayer match would be choosing characters, which would turn the game from a cartoony boxing game to a fighting game because I'm sure no one wants to beat each other using the exact same characters. It'd get old fast.

I hope they don't feel obligated to make the game full 3D. Part of the charm of the original games was the cartoony graphics, and I'm not sure they'll be able to render that in similar style using 3D graphics.

How ya doing, buddy?
"Nine killed her! Nine shall die! Nine eternities in doom!" --Anton Phibes, The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jul 12, 2008, 04:32 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2008, 09:32 PM #4 of 52
I say they need to have stationary controls, like classic gamepad or GC controller and they MUST include a multiplayer function. The only con to the original two Punch Out games was the inability to beat the shit out of your friends too. The downside to playing a multiplayer match would be choosing characters, which would turn the game from a cartoony boxing game to a fighting game because I'm sure no one wants to beat each other using the exact same characters. It'd get old fast.

I hope they don't feel obligated to make the game full 3D. Part of the charm of the original games was the cartoony graphics, and I'm not sure they'll be able to render that in similar style using 3D graphics.
I don't think you understand the point of the Wii

Most amazing jew boots
Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2008, 04:34 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2008, 04:34 PM #5 of 52
So essentially we have to buy Wii Fit or at least the balance board first, and then dick around with it to where we learn how to kill ourselves moving from and dodging punches. Not only this, the boxing game in Wii Sports was already sluggish and somewhat uncontrollable to begin with. But to tie those controls to an actual Punch Out!! game?

I'd like to say I'm excited, I really do. At the same time however, I smell another Power Glove fiasco in the making with all these peripherals involved. I hope to God there's some kind of alternate control method involved. If the peripherals actually made the gameplay smooth enough I wouldn't care, but I don't see it happening.

I was speaking idiomatically.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2008, 06:37 PM #6 of 52
It's going to take some getting used to on the Wii balance board. One of the things you're not supposed to do on the balance board is jump on it, so I hope the dodging and ducking doesn't require you to get off the board in order to dodge. If this is a game where I need to use quick movements to dodge, then that poor board is going to die real quick.

Since this seems to be a Nintendo exclusive, why not have Mario play the role of referee again?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2008, 09:27 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2008, 04:27 AM #7 of 52
The boxing thing in Wii Fit is actually handled extremely well, so I hope (and kinda expect) it's based off that. It works with stepping off the board forward or backward, quite clever stuff really. When I played it I actually thought it would make a pretty decent full game, so if they handle it well, it could very well be something I'll get.

Most amazing jew boots
DJDoeDoe
Carob Nut

Member 6403

Level 4.31

May 2006

Old Jul 12, 2008, 09:29 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2008, 09:29 PM #8 of 52
Quote:
I don't think you understand the point of the Wii
I guess I did totally disregard the idea of the Wii, but come on! Stick all that active Wii jumping around and waving your arms and you have a game that is going to be very difficult to pull off convincingly, especially because the bar of quality has previously been set by two killer (traditional!) games. One flaw in the controls, especially if the only way is to play it with the balance board or wtf, and you've got yourself a bomb. There's already five billion different configurations for the Wii, so have some options! And why does every game for the Wii have to have a stupid gimmick to go along with it?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
"Nine killed her! Nine shall die! Nine eternities in doom!" --Anton Phibes, The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
MrMonkeyMan
MrMonkeyMan?

Member 585

Level 14.23

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2008, 01:27 AM Local time: Oct 1, 2008, 11:27 PM #9 of 52
Hey, there's some conference in Japan and some video with lots of games in it (like 5 seconds of each game).

Video with lots of games in it.

Images taken from video.

-
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Oct 2, 2008, 06:28 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2008, 11:28 AM #10 of 52
Holy shit, lots of games in that clip I want to know more about.

And the animation in Punch-Out is fucking AMAZING.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:26 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2008, 02:26 PM #11 of 52
Who the fuck cares about Punch Out? Was that a sequel to Another Code?!

Anyway, that Punch-out clip looks hilarious and awesome-lookin'. Definitely a game on my must-probably-buy list.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by surasshu; Oct 2, 2008 at 07:28 AM.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2008, 08:00 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2008, 02:00 PM #12 of 52
And why does every game for the Wii have to have a stupid gimmick to go along with it?
Because if the Wii tried to compete with the PS3 and 360 on anything other than silly gimmicks and "Unique" control systems, nobody would ever have bought one. The Wii is the gimmic console, this is news to nobody. It does that very well though, certainly well enough to have created a pretty big userbase. Whether people will be willing to pay full price for a boxing game when you get one in both WiiFit and Wii Sports remains to be seen and I suspect that except for nostalgia fans, the answer will be no. Multiplayer would help but of all the people I know who own a Wii, I can't think of a single one who plays online at present.

I think of more interest from the Nintendo conference so far is the new model DS and the release of SD cards for the Wii.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Oct 2, 2008, 08:24 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2008, 11:24 PM #13 of 52

They've pretty much nailed the look of the characters, but I hope the ring isn't always that dark!

NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:30 AM Local time: Oct 3, 2008, 02:00 AM #14 of 52
My gut churns when I have see Shin has replied to a thread concerning Nintendo. This one wasn't too bad though, there were some positive points, although they're thinly veiled insults, but hey.

Quote:
Whether people will be willing to pay full price for a boxing game when you get one in both WiiFit and Wii Sports remains to be seen and I suspect that except for nostalgia fans, the answer will be no.
There's definitely a discernable difference between Wii Boxing and Punch-Out (assuming, of course, it follows the same ol' Punch-Out structure.). There's ALOT more strategy to Punch-Out, it's not just about flailing your arms about. It's a game as opposed to a mode or side-game. I think there's definitely an appeal for a deeper, more focused, strategised boxing game.

Still it's Punch-Out, whether I'm pushing a button or swinging my arms, it's still a whole lot of fun. Assuming they don't somehow totally break the game, this is a purchase for me.

How ya doing, buddy?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:56 AM Local time: Oct 3, 2008, 01:56 AM 11 #15 of 52

FELIPE NO
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 2, 2008, 02:34 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2008, 10:34 PM #16 of 52
Gametrailers has the debut trailer up, animation looks rad.

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2008, 03:52 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2008, 10:52 PM #17 of 52
Looks good! Awesome saxophone! Does anyone know who is developing this?

Torte
Vampire Killer

Member 4126

Level 15.25

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2008, 08:27 PM Local time: Oct 4, 2008, 01:27 PM #18 of 52
Yeah, hopefully the spectators aren't too cast out

There's nowhere I can't reach.
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2008, 08:36 PM Local time: Oct 4, 2008, 12:06 PM #19 of 52
Looks good! Awesome saxophone! Does anyone know who is developing this?
Next Level Games. The guys who did the Mario Strikers games.

Most amazing jew boots
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2008, 09:22 PM Local time: Oct 4, 2008, 10:22 AM #20 of 52

Is this chap supposed to be Glass Joe?

How ya doing, buddy?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
MuppeTFuckeR
Chocobo

Member 4359

Level 9.00

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2008, 09:56 PM #21 of 52
^^

I think it's Glass Joe, when you give him the K.O. punch he spews out French Croissants and Glass Joe was French. The other dude looks like Von Kaiser.

Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:21 PM Local time: Oct 4, 2008, 11:21 AM #22 of 52
Yeah, Von Kaiser and King Hippo are pretty identifiable. I wonder if they'd keep Mike Tyson in there, or put in whoever's the world heavyweight champion in the game.

I was unsure whether the fellow was Glass Joe or Don Flamenco, really.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Enter User Name
Chocobo

Member 510

Level 11.74

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:34 PM Local time: Oct 3, 2008, 08:34 PM #23 of 52
I have no interest in this. It looks like a remake to me. I've played Punch-Out a hundred times, why do I need to play a remake? I wish they would do something new with it, there is a lot of potential of great new stuff, but it doesn't appear they are going for anything new with this.

How ya doing, buddy?
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:49 PM #24 of 52
You have obviously never played Punch-Out.

The added feature of punching people using the remote is an improvement, because you then look LESS stupid for making the punching motion anyway.

Seriously, it's Punch-Out.

SERIOUSLY.

MuppeTFuckeR
Chocobo

Member 4359

Level 9.00

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2008, 11:19 PM #25 of 52
I wonder if they'd keep Mike Tyson in there, or put in whoever's the world heavyweight champion in the game.
Personally I would love it they brought back Mike but there's no way that's gonna happen.
Spoiler:

HE WANTS TO EAT YOUR CHILDRENS!!
Lennox Lewis was the last champ that people cared about but he's retired and now there's Wladimir Klitschko but he's not as well known. It'd be cool if they had Muhammad Ali in as the final fight, he's the only one who has better quotes then Tyson.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Punch-Out for the Wii!