Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo

Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2007, 09:03 PM #1 of 10
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo

Genres: Adventure, Drama, Romance, Science Fiction, Slice of Life

Quote:
Plot Summary: When 17-year-old Makoto Konno gains the ability to, quite literally, "leap" backwards through time, she immediately sets about improving her grades and preventing personal mishaps. However, she soon realises that changing the past isn't as simple as it seems, and eventually, will have to rely on her new powers to shape the future of her and her friends.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=6733

Download:

This is one of the best anime movies I've seen in a while. It's really touching, and it's surprisingly not that cheesy. But I highly recommend it. Download it now! =D

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]

Last edited by Sepharite; Jul 1, 2007 at 12:21 PM.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2007, 09:31 PM Local time: Jun 29, 2007, 04:31 AM #2 of 10
My friend pointed this out to me a while ago, and a lot of people around me really loved this. The film is based on a book of the same name but is sort of a sequel to it, taking place some twenty years later, instead of being a movie-version of the same story. There is also a live action movie of it made in 1983, which is the depiction of the book.

I found the movie well-acted and produced, and the concept very interesting and well worked out, but I had a hard time deciding if I really liked the movie. The story sort of veers between a comedy and a serious show, and somehow neither of these really grabbed me, even though the characters were really nicely developed and believable. The comedy aspect was good but not laugh-out-loud funny, while the serious aspect made me feel dissatisfied in a way because I knew it would work out (since it's not a serious show). On the other hand there's definitely a lot to talk about, and the whole thing is pieced together quite nicely, so that's a really good thing about it.

WARNING: the following is discussion about the actual events of the movie: don't read if you want to see it, cause it might ruin it! I warned you!
Spoiler:
My favourite thing about it is that every time Konno timeleaps, she literally falls into the past, and then the people that witness this are like "what are you doing?" I also really loved the "paused world" segment when Chiaki stops time and explains what's going on. On the other hand, I thought the explanatory stuff was a little over the top. I never liked that in Vanilla Sky either, I always prefer if there is some mystery that the viewer has to solve, like in David Lynch films... But that's definitely not my main complaint with the film.

I don't know if I can recommend it based on my own experience, but it's definitely something worth watching.

How ya doing, buddy?
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:01 AM Local time: Jun 29, 2007, 01:01 PM #3 of 10
Oh, I definitely can recommend this. I went to the cinema showing for this film a few days ago (it's airing in Singapore right now) and everyone loved it to bits.

It's not as technically polished as, say, Satoshi Kon's Paprika (incidentally that film was also animated by Madhouse), but it certainly has a lot of heart. You'd be hard pressed to find another protagonist who's as... alive as Makoto. Definitely the feel-good anime film of the year, and I can see why it pipped Paprika for major industry awards.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jun 29, 2007, 01:23 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2007, 11:23 PM #4 of 10
Torrent Link (for those who would rather not download the thing through rapidshare)

Awesome movie. I sometimes find it hard to actually sit down and watch a feature length presentation, but this one gripped me right from the start. It's a stunning movie with a good flow and excellent acting. Makoto has to be one of the most realistically portrayed characters presented.

Not much more to say than that, really. Well worth a viewing (if you're lucky enough to be in an area that will play it in theaters).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2007, 02:13 AM #5 of 10
Did anyone initially think Makoto was a boy? Must have been the lack of (.)(.) .__.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jun 29, 2007, 02:44 AM Local time: Jun 29, 2007, 12:44 AM #6 of 10
Maybe, if it weren't for the outfit, the voice, the posture, the Yoshiyuki-Sadamoto-design-that-looks-almost-sort-of-like-Rei.

This is an accurate representation of the movie:

How ya doing, buddy?
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jun 29, 2007, 02:49 AM Local time: Jun 29, 2007, 10:49 AM #7 of 10
A completely wonderful film, one of my recent favorites. I watched it last month not knowing anything about the story (other than deducing from the name), and it was one of those great pleasant surprises that really stay with you and always make you smile when you remember them.

The mood is wonderful, the musical score beautiful and absolutely loved the dialogue, it was terrifically written. I've been urging people to watch this film since then, it's one of those films that make me happy I watch anime. Maybe a thread will bring to even bigger attention.

Screens you could put in the first post:

I also watched the old live-action movie of the book and while delightfully old, it was also very dodgy. A wooden female lead, terrible campy special effects and I was rooting for the other guy. It was mostly interesting to watch since you realize it explains what happened to Makoto's aunt.

The whole thing was handled wonderfully subtly in the anime, since they only hint at her past, instead of underlining it. I definitely recommend watching the anime at least first, then possibly the LA.

FELIPE NO

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2007, 05:46 AM Local time: Jun 29, 2007, 12:46 PM #8 of 10
I've been thinking about reading the book actually, since it's a different story. And I tend to like books better than movies! :\/ I wonder if there's a translation of it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:34 AM Local time: Jun 29, 2007, 11:34 PM #9 of 10
I gave a review on this anime movie back in my choco-journal some time ago...

Personally loved the film, even got the limited edition of the DVD

Originally Posted by surasshu
I've been thinking about reading the book actually, since it's a different story. And I tend to like books better than movies! :\/ I wonder if there's a translation of it.
The novel is still ranked #1 in my TokiKake franchise collection. Not only its touching, but it also explain the whole theory and more character involvement. I recommend it if you can read Japanese! As far as the translation concern, I haven't heard any official announcements regarding the novel-translation. However there has been talks about fans doing wiki translation, but that has never gone underway... so not sure about the progress.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Dec 10, 2007, 08:30 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2007, 06:30 PM #10 of 10
Originally Posted by ANN
The anime distributor Bandai Entertainment has announced that it will be bringing out the DVD of Mamoru Hosoda's The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. The 2006 film, which has won awards at the Sitges and Annecy film festivals, will also receive a limited theatrical run in theaters in Los Angeles, New York, and, possibly, several other cities. The company's president, Ken Iyadomi, and director of sales and marketing, Robert Napton, made the announcement at their New York Anime Festival panel Sunday.
In before Q explodes and moves to America.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo