Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] Videogamer.com's Street Fighter 2 browser edition Retrospective

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:13 AM Local time: Dec 4, 2008, 09:13 AM #1 of 4
Videogamer.com's Street Fighter 2 browser edition Retrospective

Street Fighter 2 HD designer speaks out on 'struggle' - Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix for Xbox 360 News - VideoGamer.com

Quote:
"I struggled almost every day with that whole project trying to get something done. A real critical hurdle for me was having the rebalanced mode at all. Backbone, they just didn't want to do it at all because it sounded like too much work. Who's going to pay for all this, it's hard enough to ship this game in the first place and, were they going to assign programmers to help me? They didn't want to do that. So they said, 'no, we're not going to do it'. Just flat out no. I pretty much ignored that. I started reading the source code myself, and I'm not a programmer, and I'm certainly not an assembly programmer, so it's complete gibberish to me."
This article is the first in a series covering a retrospective interview with David Sirlin and the creation of Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (aka: Thread Title before it's mutated and/or thread deleted/merged). What I found most interesting was that above. The whole project would have lead me to believe that Backbone entertainment had supported Sirlin 100% throughout the project, but the real surprise is seeing that pessimism had to lead way to "fuck you, I'm doing it anyway."

The whole reason HD Remix is even worth the glitches and bugs is because Rebalanced Mode justifies the product's existence. I'm not entirely surprised the bottom line tried to win the day here, but I definitely want to know more and I'm sure a lot of folks here would as well.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:48 AM Local time: Dec 4, 2008, 04:48 PM #2 of 4
Yeah, it's fairly obvious that a shit-ton of passion and thought has gone into this on Sirlin's part (especially if you read his write ups of what they did to rebalance the game and each character), but like you I was under the impression that Backbone also shared that passion. I guess this goes someway towards explaining why Sirlin and Backbone have split now.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2008, 03:35 AM #3 of 4
Yep, really looking forward to the interview. I'm definitely glad Sirlin persevered, as he added at least another decade and a half of longevity to a classic game. It would have been cool to play without the rebalancing, but the rebalancing absolutely added much more depth to it. I'm very confident Sirlin will be back on his feet.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Dec 5, 2008, 02:07 PM Local time: Dec 5, 2008, 12:07 PM #4 of 4
EXCLUSIVE: Rebalancing Street Fighter 2 HD Remix - VideoGamer.com

Part one of the interview.

I'm not surprised that Capcom wanted to do Alpha 3 online instead of Alpha 2. Alpha 3 is a very popular title as far as pubic opinion is concerned just for the features it offers. Alpha 2 is considered to be the better game to play competitively though, which was why Sirlin wanted it instead of Alpha 3.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Rotorblade; Dec 5, 2008 at 02:13 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [News] Videogamer.com's Street Fighter 2 browser edition Retrospective