Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] Advance Wars: Dual Strike 2

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 06:08 PM #1 of 55
Advance Wars: Dual Strike 2

Well it looks like some shots of the game in action have popped up over at Jeux-France. It's sporting a new look that's got some divided, but I think it's a nice change. Can't wait to see what the other COs look like.

Here's the mangled up Babelfish translation and the images they've got up:

Originally Posted by Jeux-France
Vaguely announced at the time of Electronic Entertainment Expo by the means of a planning diffused by Nintendo, Advance Wars: Dual Strike 2 is currently proposed on Nintendo DS, for the first time in playable version, at the time of Micromania Games Show. It does not remain to you now that a few hours to return Porte of Versailles to you in order to discover Advance Wars: Dual Strike 2 of world exclusiveness.
Spoiler tagged for your browsing pleasure:

Jam it back in, in the dark.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Sep 30, 2007 at 06:11 PM.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 06:54 PM Local time: Sep 30, 2007, 04:54 PM #2 of 55
Oh wow, I thought Nintendo had forgotten about Advanced Wars, but there they go and prove me wrong. I will definitely be picking this up when it comes out.

In otherwords: FUCK YEAH!

Most amazing jew boots
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 07:50 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2007, 03:50 AM #3 of 55
I like the character designs, but I'm not fond of the battle graphics choice at all.

One of the big draws of the series has always been the juxtaposition of the hardcore, but beautifully simple chess-with-tanks mechanics against the cute and cheerful visuals.

Having Advance Wars go grey on us and ditching the spritey awesome will be a big set back on the appeal. It'll probably be just as compulsive to play, but much like you loved playing Yoshi's Island because it played and looked so great, the same applies with Advance Wars.

How ya doing, buddy?

Trance Machina
Do these clothes become me?

Member 3819

Level 10.53

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:15 PM Local time: Sep 30, 2007, 07:15 PM #4 of 55
I am so gay for tactic* games and Advance Wars is definitely one of them. =)

Loved the series since the first game came for the GBA and the previous game just made me love the series even more. Can't wait for a release date. =)

* A term I coined after the release of FFT. Any game that you move across a grid and battle other people, in my book, is a tactic game.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Currently Playing:Persona 3, .hack//G.U. vol 3, Wild ARMs 3, and Phantasy Star Universe (360).
I will beat a rod until a tank empties~
Chocojournal

Last edited by Trance Machina; Oct 1, 2007 at 06:03 PM.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:46 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2007, 01:46 PM 2 #5 of 55
Ed? No no. Yuki, is that you?

ADVANCE BATTLE COLISEUM WARS? Haha, Japan.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:41 PM Local time: Sep 30, 2007, 09:41 PM #6 of 55
I'm actually liking this look, even if it means all the COs from the previous games will be gone.

Godspeed, Colin. Your money-based power utterly ruined my opponents and brought me great joy.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:07 AM #7 of 55
Godspeed, Colin. Your money-based power utterly ruined my opponents and brought me great joy.
If it's any consolation, it was probably that (coupled with all the other COs) that probably left the world looking like it does in those screens, heh.

FELIPE NO

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2007, 01:10 AM #8 of 55
Ooh, excellent. I picked up Dual Strike again over the summer to come a bit closer to finishing Campaign mode, and it made me wonder if we'd ever see another Advance Wars title. It's been far too long.

As for the new look, I can dig it. It's a little sad to see that the cartoony battle graphics have been changed, but the map looks the same so that isn't a big deal. While I'll miss a few of the old COs (Grimm, Sami, Grit and Sensei mostly) a whole new set is probably long overdue by now. With any luck there will be cameos, but I'm happy as long as none of the new COs try to rap like Jake.

Here's to hoping they expand Combat mode!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Oct 1, 2007, 02:48 AM Local time: Oct 1, 2007, 12:48 AM #9 of 55
Well, no accusing Nintendo of rehash... visually, I guess. Until I play it is another story. I do like the new look, though I did always find the odd mix of "War" and "Cheery" as being extremely disturbing but pleasing all the same. Especially when I actually went to war. I do recall liberties taken with the dialogue in Advance Wars, as Jake (like others) had a different name and an entirely different disposition when making a comparison to the Japanese and English versions. Perhaps Japan has decided on a set demographic this time around?

Considering I've been finishing up things in my copy of Advance Wars: Dual Strike, this is good news. My curiosity is indeed piqued.

Edit:

Fuck Colin and Sasha. Just gonna save time and throw her in there. That team really did defeat the purpose of playing as most other COs. I'm actually hoping they implement a time limit on individual turns as an option in versus based multiplayer, If it's supposedly like "Chess with Tanks", I'd appreciate a Blitz version of the game. I've literally had opponents just SIT and take forever on fucking turns, and it is one of the things I've hated dearly about taking on human opponents.

Last edited by Rotorblade; Oct 1, 2007 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Ga-rammah-da
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2007, 09:15 AM Local time: Oct 1, 2007, 10:15 PM #10 of 55
Colin? Don't make me laugh. Hachi was where it was at. Deploy units at bargain prices from cities, can you say hax?

I am so gay for tactic games and Advance Wars is definitely one of them. =)
Advance Wars: Definately a Tactic Game.

I think it's good they've ended the Black Hole saga. The new visual style is compelling and although it's hard to tell, the map screen looks downright apocalyptic.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Oct 1, 2007, 09:33 AM Local time: Oct 1, 2007, 07:33 AM #11 of 55
Their team can wreck Hachi, unless you play a map with a shit load of cities and huge distance between the opponents. That CO power is nice, just a pity he doesn't get any firepower bonuses like team broken.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:21 AM Local time: Oct 1, 2007, 10:21 AM #12 of 55
Loving the new look, and so excited for this game. Man, i'm really getting into DS gaming now.

I'm gonna have to finish DS 1 now though, and i'm stuck on that impossible mission. You know, the one with the volcanoes.

RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2007, 01:00 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2007, 02:00 AM #13 of 55
That one's not too hard, not the first time through the campaign at least.
Take control of both screens, the AI is useless.
On the bottom screen concentrate soley on taking the bases in the corner. Sami is a great choice for her speedy troops and her mech's being able to hold their own against the onslaught of units. Send your other units to teh top screen and just hold out, damage as many of the enemy as possible, taht way they'll waste offensive turns joininging weak units togethor. Bait them into getting in range of your missiles.

I was speaking idiomatically.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2007, 01:55 PM #14 of 55
Yeah, the volcano mission was actually one of the easier battles towards the end. I managed to do it on my first try, though it's also the only dual-screen mission where I've lost the top screen. Just had to memorize where the lava fell and slowly wipe out the bottom screen enemies.

I'm on the (first?) Andy Clone mission with the four super missiles.

Most amazing jew boots
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2007, 01:43 PM #15 of 55
This may be coming just a little late, but here's some videos of the game in action.

A bit more info.

So far I see:
- Wolf emblem
- Dragon emblem
- Cavalry emblem

And a CO with shades. Oh, and the units look kind of different on the overworld.
Spoiler:

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 10, 2007 at 03:59 PM.
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2007, 08:19 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2007, 05:19 PM #16 of 55
Hmmm... I'm really digging the new style, love the new way the unit combat graphics look now (better than in AWDS1 where it was just AW2's graphics stretched/compressed out to varying degrees, but I will miss the cartoony elements). But I wonder what kinds of gameplay changes they've made. Can I still park my bombers in a way to block foot soldiers? Though, from the screens it doesn't look like they've changed that.

Also, why hasn't there been an official announcement for this yet?

Most amazing jew boots
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:44 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2007, 01:44 PM #17 of 55
Awesome news; I'm a sucker for any Advance Wars game. The new art style really piques my interest, particularly the new battle map graphics. Adds more realism.

I hope this game has a really long campaign mode, 'cause they can get pretty intense.

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:50 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2007, 10:50 PM #18 of 55
The game still fails massively if they once again don't include Wi-Fi battles.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:10 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2007, 09:10 PM #19 of 55
The game still fails massively if they once again don't include Wi-Fi battles.
Pokemon alone has shown Nintendo that Wi-Fi works, so I agree, if it doesn't have WiFi Battle, then...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2007, 01:12 PM #20 of 55
A few more screens, this time it looks like we get to see what happened to hand War World its ass. Some folks were joking around saying Sturm's folks got pissed and just pummeled the planet, heh. There's also that Ling lady we saw in the older screens from Micromania, and some other girl.

Edit: If anyone wants to have a shot at translating these, go ahead. One last thing: The girl reminds me of Eureka, but I don't want things to go down that way (her being an alien or whatever).

Spoiler:

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 11, 2007 at 02:26 PM.
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2007, 05:53 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2007, 02:53 PM #21 of 55
The girl reminds me of Eureka, but I don't want things to go down that way (her being an alien or whatever).
No kidding about that, but I wouldn't mind the alien thing (I for one thought where they took Eureka in the show was pretty interesting). But in any case it is good to see that even after what appeared to be a worldwide disaster with meteors falling from space the world is still ready to wage war.

Most amazing jew boots
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2007, 06:04 PM #22 of 55
Oh wow, I thought Nintendo had forgotten about Advanced Wars, but there they go and prove me wrong. I will definitely be picking this up when it comes out.

In otherwords: FUCK YEAH!
Agreed wholeheartedly. Advance Wars is one of the series' they have only found ways to make better and better over time.

Also Wolf emblem whaaat. Furry mode engaged.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

#654: Braixen
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2007, 06:14 PM #23 of 55
No kidding about that, but I wouldn't mind the alien thing (I for one thought where they took Eureka in the show was pretty interesting). But in any case it is good to see that even after what appeared to be a worldwide disaster with meteors falling from space the world is still ready to wage war.
Oh, I didn't mind the direction they went with it in the show... I just don't want something like that in Advance Wars, that's all. The asteroid thing brings back memories of that Ulysses thing that fell in the Ace Combat world (should also be called War World too, heh).

FELIPE NO

Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2007, 06:19 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2007, 03:19 PM #24 of 55
Don't know if anyone pointed this out or not yet but according to Kotaku the game name is Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and it comes out Janurary 21st. (Use ctrl+f to find the advance wars listing)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 11, 2007, 06:23 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2007, 02:23 AM #25 of 55
The only gameplay change they'd need to implement is to allow true indirect fire. That's something I've been hoping since AW1. If we saw a tank in a square of woods that is "hidden", but within range, let us bombard it to make sure. That's what indirect fire is often about.

Of course, you'd need to apply the Halo effect on the AI so that it can only react to you if it sees you, so you wouldn't end up with just tons of cheating and cheap psychic shots. But it's felt ridiculous to need to ram a unit into an enemy just to be able to pummel it with cannon shells from afar.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] Advance Wars: Dual Strike 2