Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Question] DS or PSP for ME?

Tsunade
Clinically Insane!!

Member 153

Level 23.12

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2008, 03:24 PM #1 of 72
DS or PSP for ME?

Okay - see title for ME

So this is NOT a battle b/w the two of them and please don't trash my topic and start arguing on that

Let's start of by saying I have a PC, PS, PS2... I play most commonly on the PS2- BUT don't let that automatically direct you to the PSP.

I'm a 24 year old female gamer and I'm an RPG lover. Now I need some advice on which of the two to choose. I know you can say "well just go look at the gaming library". I have to be honest with you I have NOT followed any news on either systems, am illiterate when it comes to their features (if you wanna give me a brief bullet point on what their features or direct me somewhere that'll be awesome) and GAMES - yes I only know of a few games on each system.

So that's where you guys come.... what I'm looking for is the system that has the better RPGs + more mature games on it. Dun get me wrong I do enjoy younger audience games like KH... Dissidia: Final Fantasy looks awesome but I can't let that one game get to my head.

So given my preferences what do you think I would prefer? Also can you recommend games that I can look into for whatever choice you have for me...?

Appreciate all the help/feedback I can get

Again this isn't a system war... I honestly just want to buy a handheld system.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

^By Auro from the FFXII board... Thanks ^^
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2008, 03:29 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2008, 02:29 PM #2 of 72
Despite the rarity of mature games on the DS, for YOU, I think DS is the best choice. You have a lot of great RPG's to play on it, not to mention all the Final Fantasys that are on the Gameboy Advance. Disgaea DS just came out about a month ago, and I believe Chrono Trigger is being released for the DS as well... that alone should make you choose DS. Another game that got raving reviews from critics and fellow gamers is "The World Ends With You"... that sounds up your alley as well.

P.S. - Zelda... ez choice.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:09 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2008, 05:09 AM #3 of 72
If you're a big RPG lover, around 240 lbs., I would recommend getting a DSlite. That's what I did (though I have both, well my brother owns the PSP but I still play it). Though the DS does lack "mature" games, if mature you mean blood gore and violence, it's complimented by the wide range of games you can play (especially RPGs). Bottomline, get a DS if you want to play a lot of good games, get a PSP if you want a multipurpose handheld with a small number of good games (especially RPGs).

I recommend a DSlite. Or you can wait for the DSi next year.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:09 PM #4 of 72
It depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Out of the box, the NDS has way more RPGs. Zelda, Mario RPG, Final Fantasy, it has them all. Also, the ability to play GBA games is also nice.
The system goes for 129.99, although that may drop as the NDSi comes out. NDSi has a camera, downloadable content and a few other things. So you MIGHT want to wait for that although I think that will be more expensive (170ish I heard in japan?).

The PSP has few RPGs and many are remakes from the PS1. However, if you are willing to play with the firmware, you can download NES, SNES, GBA, and PS1 RPGs. Emulation for PS1, and GBA is decent. SNES is OK...has some issues but that may be all but taken care of now. NES is decent.

With all that being said, from how you introduced the matter in your post, I would lean towards the NDS. The PSP has SOME RPGs but not many and there aren't many coming out in the near horizon.

Most amazing jew boots
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:20 PM #5 of 72
You're better off with the DS seeing as how a large chunk of the PSPs gaming library are PS2/PS1 ports last time I checked. With the DS you have access to a large selection of RPGs especially if you include the GBA games. PSP doesn't have a previous system to expand your game library from.

The only real reason I could see to choose a PSP as an RPG gamer is if you wanted to get the remake of Valkyrie Profile 1, which is an excellent game.

I was speaking idiomatically.

"Out thought and out fought."
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2008, 07:28 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2008, 05:28 PM #6 of 72
Get a DS. Lots of 'em (RPG) in there as well as action-RPGs (which I think you don't like, at all).

The only real reason I could see to choose a PSP as an RPG gamer is if you wanted to get the remake of Valkyrie Profile 1, which is an excellent game.
Except that it's the port of the Japanese version, which means Lenneth can't change her abilities and skills when she gets the sword in the final boss of the A ending, hooray!

Doesn't make it less awesome though.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2008, 07:30 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2008, 08:30 AM #7 of 72
I'm going to buy me a DS for Christmas. For one reason: Chrono Trigger

FELIPE NO
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Oct 11, 2008, 08:03 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2008, 11:03 AM #8 of 72
Sounds like you might want to just get both eventually. DS slaughters the PSP along with the current shit fest of consoles when it comes to RPGs, but PSP definitely has more post-apocalyptic angry men shooting sperm guns everywhere.

For every dark matoooore title on the DS there's about 80 Imagine Cringing games.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2008, 01:29 AM Local time: Oct 12, 2008, 12:29 AM #9 of 72
Does anyone EVER follow the advice people give them in these threads, because every time I see one, people end up making up their own minds in the end. These tend not to help with indecision.

Cheezeman3000
Master of Music

Member 1037

Level 13.58

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:14 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2008, 10:14 AM #10 of 72
DS RPGs Worth Buying -

Already released:
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Final Fantasy III
Lunar Knights
Pokemon Pearl/Diamond
Heroes of Mana
Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
The World Ends With You
Summon Night: Twin Age
Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard
Final Fantasy IV
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen.

Coming soon:
Dragon Quest IX: Protectors of the Sky
Chrono Trigger DS
Mario & Luigi RPG 3
Xenosaga I & II
Tales of Hearts
Valkyrie Profile: The Accused One
etc.

And it's not an RPG by any means, but ELITE BEAT AGENTS.

'nuff said.

How ya doing, buddy?
Ghodbane
Chocobo

Member 2867

Level 9.70

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:49 PM #11 of 72
Xenosaga wasn't announced for a US release though. Or is there a translation in the works I'm not aware of? Oh, don't miss out on Soma Bringer either. There's a translation done by DarthNemesis for it that's 97% as of today. It's diablo-esque rpg that's made by Monolith Soft (Xenosaga people), with awesome Mitsuda music. If you have a CycloDS/R4DS you can patch the game and play it. I think it's the best rpg on the DS by some margin. Here's a link to the translation patch.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=78947

Last edited by Ghodbane; Oct 12, 2008 at 12:52 PM.
Tsunade
Clinically Insane!!

Member 153

Level 23.12

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2008, 01:27 PM #12 of 72
@Leprenigger
Just making a quick note here - I will have further questions later on. But I DO listen to advice given here simply because I don't know a thing about handheld consoles. I'm not responding as I would because happens to be that I got 3 final exams next week and since I didn't look into everything I didn't want to sound stupid. *sigh*

Big majority there - like that since it obviously tells me the DS has more to offer for me.

One thing that bothers me is FFVII Crisis Core and Dissidia <....< However, I'm thinking Chrono Trigger is coming on the DS and I loved Chrono Cross. Also I always wanted to try out a Zelda games since I've never had the pleasure of playing them ^^

I got a suggestion for DS Lite or to wait for DSI and since this isn't a "spec" forum I also wanna look into those later.

In terms of "mature-ish/more serious" action/adventure games how does the DS rank?

PS. Thanks to all those who responded with suggestions ^^

How ya doing, buddy?

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 12, 2008, 01:41 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2008, 09:41 PM #13 of 72
Well, you won't find grimdark stuff on the DS (only Dementium and Resident Evil Deadly Silence come to mind), but its best games are hardly immature or childish if that's what you're worried about.

Also, Dissidia hasn't much in terms of RPG content. With your description, it's not a very good reason to be interested in the PSP.

And what Skills meant was that we've had a fair share of "which one should I buy?" threads, whether it's consoles or games and each time regardless of the posts, the thread maker already had pretty much made up their minds about which one they picked.

So perhaps you really are looking for advice instead.

I own both machines and I too would recommend getting DS Lite. It is a lovely piece of equipment and the better gaming machine. It's not a very good 3D machine, but the developers are making better and better visuals on it and as a 2D machine it's wonderful. Even if you are an RPG fan, I recommend playing the non-RPG ones as well (Advance Wars Dual Strike, Phoenix Wright games, Another Code, Hotel Dusk, Contra 4, Bangai-O Spirits) as they're all quite fantastic. And there's the GBA backlog as well, especially Link to the Past and Minish Cap if you're looking for good entry titles to the wonderful, wonderful Zelda series.

PSP has a bunch of excellent games (Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins, Wipeout Pure, LocoRoco, Patapon, Lumines, Exit), but people mostly buy it to hack it and put emulators on it, which is a bit silly since a softmodded Xbox1 runs emulation better and costs less. It plays music (which I use it for a lot), but you'll need a decent sized memory stick.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Oct 12, 2008 at 01:45 PM.
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2008, 01:47 PM #14 of 72
The XBox1 plays PSP games? That's a new one to me.

However, it should be noted that you can't even buy a new XBox anymore...

Tsunade
Clinically Insane!!

Member 153

Level 23.12

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2008, 01:59 PM #15 of 72
@Qwarky appreciate your other non-RPG recommendations too

K I pretty much think the DS it is... any clues on when the DSi comes out? *considering waiting for it since this semester = 4311 on earth and doubt I'd get much time to play* - I found "late 2009" - hope not >......< (but then again I'm not fully up to date with the TGS)

FELIPE NO

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2008, 02:03 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2008, 01:03 PM #16 of 72
Not any time soon over here. If you wait, I don't doubt that you'll again become indecisive and either bump or remake the thread, though. If you're gonna buy the Lite, just pick it up. It's not that pricey, and it can sit there for a bit if you end up being busy.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 12, 2008, 02:11 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2008, 10:11 PM #17 of 72
So far I don't see anything in the DSi to really interest me. A camera is something I won't need in my portable console, I don't even need it in my cell phone. The downloadable content sounded nice, but then I heard it's region locked so there goes that one since I live in Europe.

Most of all, it does away with the GBA slot, so think carefully if you want to try out many of the great GBA titles and RPGs. I say you're getting more gaming value with a Lite.

Old Oct 12, 2008, 02:17 PM 1 #18 of 72
One thing I want you to keep in mind in waiting for the DSi is that it will not be able to play GBA games if you are interested in that. On the other hand it might have good downloadable software that is exclusive to it but I wouldn't bet the farm that they aren't gimmicky Brain Age touch generation garbage. So keep in mind that you'll be losing the ability to play GBA games if you wait for a DSi. Speaking of waiting you'll have to keep your eyes on the horizon as Reggie (Nintendo of America president) doesn't plan on bringing it over well into 2009 as opposed to Japan who is getting it this November. Oh don't think about importing one from Japan either because its DSi is region-locked for its interface and exclusive software.

Right, so you can wait forever and a half for the DSi expected to cost near 200 bucks or get a DS lite for cheap right now and perhaps nab a CycloDS to further your savings by not having to buy into a game library that honestly doesn't require further support for its stagnating efforts.

Additional Spam:
Skills er... leprenigger also brings up a good point that the DSi has crap battery life compared to the DS lite.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by FatsDomino; Oct 12, 2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2008, 02:22 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2008, 01:22 PM #19 of 72
Is that a justification for piracy outside of "I'm a cheap shit"? Because seriously Acer.

I don't have a problem with it, but let's not sugar coat what it actually is, dude.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 12, 2008, 02:24 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2008, 10:24 PM #20 of 72
And the notion that games like Contra 4 and Bangai-O Spirits don't "require further support" makes me see Acer in an even worse light

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Old Oct 12, 2008, 02:51 PM 1 2 #21 of 72
Is that a justification for piracy outside of "I'm a cheap shit"? Because seriously Acer.

I don't have a problem with it, but let's not sugar coat what it actually is, dude.
Oh let's not. I like being cheap. However, it's true that the majority of games on both platforms are complete garbage.

And anyway I see a girl who largely doesn't pay attention to gaming as it were. Any of these games that we suggest will probably be in a bargain bin, used, or in whatever form that won't be any benefit to whoever made the game. She's obviously a student and could use any money she can hold on to so I made a suggestion that would be in keeping of that.

And the notion that games like Contra 4 and Bangai-O Spirits don't "require further support" makes me see Acer in an even worse light
Hey, if you like or want to support a particular game and want to see more games like it then feel free to buy it. For the couple games that I do enjoy a lot I buy a copy. But just to spit in your face I'm not buying Contra 4 or Bangai-O Spirits because I simply don't give a shit about those games.

How ya doing, buddy?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2008, 03:01 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2008, 02:01 PM 2 #22 of 72
The fact that she's well known to be an idiot doesn't change the fact that your massive generalization of don't-support-the-thing-at-all as a solution to fix the shovelware issue is both retarded and a convenient excuse to make yourself look like you're taking a stance against the issue instead of just trying to save yourself a few bucks.

Old Oct 12, 2008, 03:34 PM 1 #23 of 72
I don't see why it's so hard to see it as being both. But sure go ahead. I'll be your cowboy up to no good if you like.

How ya doing, buddy?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2008, 12:28 AM Local time: Oct 12, 2008, 11:28 PM #24 of 72
Just tell me how punishing the developers of the quality titles sends the message that you want more of that and less of the crap, because I don't see it.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Oct 13, 2008 at 12:37 AM. Reason: grammar
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:43 AM #25 of 72
Buying used games = developers have already gotten the money from someone else, you can't show the developers direct support because when you buy used games your money goes directly to the retailer (usually GameStop) and never further than that.

If a game is still new and available and you know you want to support that game then that is a different story. You can buy that game and commit a sale that actually goes into the tally that publishers get to see and that usually determines if developers get the support to make another good game and possibly a good game like the one you supported.

For instance even if I did care about Contra 4 the likelihood that I'd find a copy unused is pretty fucking low. How the fuck am I punishing a developer by not buying it? For one I don't care about that game but assuming you convinced me that I must have that game it's already too late to show support for the developer. Any copies I'll find to buy will be unheard by their publisher.

So should I play Contra 4 on my CycloDS or go to GameStop and buy a used copy for 20 bucks it's about the same in supporting developers in that it doesn't support developers at all. Just in one situation I'm not giving GameStop money.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Question] DS or PSP for ME?