Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Jackass Thompson is going to have a field day with this one...

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 05:26 PM Local time: Feb 15, 2008, 03:26 PM #1 of 31
Jackass Thompson is going to have a field day with this one...

As of 24 hours ago, CCN reported a former student of Northern Illinois University returned to his old stomping grounds to do a little house cleaning with a firearm then turned it on himself.

Quote:
DEKALB, Illinois (CNN) -- A gunman dressed in black stepped from behind a curtain at the front of a large lecture hall at Northern Illinois University on Thursday and shot 21 people, five of them fatally, then shot and killed himself, said university president John Peters. Four died at the scene, including the shooter, and two later died at the hospital, he said.

At least 22 people, including a graduate student who was teaching an ocean sciences class, were shot, Peters said. Seventeen victims were taken to Kishwaukee Community Hospital, its Web site said. Of those, six were in critical condition and were flown to other hospitals. One fatality, a male, was confirmed -- but was not the gunman, the hospital said. Two were admitted, and three others were discharged. The other five were not addressed on the Web site. Four of the fatalities were female, said Peters.
Most of the injuries are head and chest gunshot wounds, a hospital spokeswoman told CNN.

The gunman started shooting from a stage in the room shortly after 3 p.m. (4 p.m. ET) in Cole Hall, officials said. Police Chief Donald Grady said authorities do not yet know of a motive. They know the identity of the gunman but have not released his name, Grady added. The shooter was a graduate student at NIU in the spring of 2007. Currently he was not enrolled there but, Grady said, "He may have been a student elsewhere."
Kevin McEnery said he was in the classroom when the gunman, dressed in a black shirt, dark pants and black hat, burst in carrying a shotgun.

"He just kicked the door open, just started shooting," said McEnery, who was in the class at the time. "All I really heard was just people screaming, yelling 'get out.' ... Close to 30 shots were fired."

There are about 162 registered students in the class that met in the large lecture hall. A student described the classroom as having four exits - two at the front and two at the rear. "Witnesses say someone dressed in black came out from behind a screen in the front of the classroom and opened fire with a shotgun," Peters said.
At 3:03 p.m., NIU police responded, and four minutes later, the campus was ordered into "a lockdown situation," Grady said.
At 3:20, an all-campus alert went out via the campus Web site, e-mail, voice mail, the campus crisis hotline, the news media and various alarm systems, he said.

"The message basically was: There's a gunman on campus, stay where you are, make yourself as safe as possible," he said.
Rosie Moroni, a student at the school, told CNN she was outside Cole Hall near the King Commons when she heard shots coming from the classroom she was heading to. The shot was followed by "a lot of people screaming," then people ran out the doors yelling, "He's got a gun, call 9-1-1," she said.
"It was complete chaos. It's very scary here right now." By 4 p.m., DeKalb police had swept the area "and determined there was only one gunman" and that he was dead. Grady said the man used three guns: a shotgun, a Glock handgun and a small-caliber handgun, and was still on the stage when he turned one of the guns on himself. The small-caliber handgun has not been recovered, he said. The shooter started with a shotgun, then switched to a handgun, said Grady.

A spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives told CNN that agents were on the scene, and could help trace the weapon or weapons used. Peters said the FBI is processing the crime scene and ATF was interviewing witnesses Thursday. Events and classes were canceled until further notice, Peters said. Seven counseling areas were set up throughout the campus, and hotlines were established.

Security around campus was increased in December when police found threats scrawled on a campus bathroom wall that included racial slurs and references to last April's Virginia Tech shootings. One of the threats said "things will change most hastily" in the final days of the semester. Peters said there is no evidence that points to a link between the December incident and Thursday's shooting. Grady said it was unlikely authorities could have prevented Thursday's tragedy. "As much as we do, it's unlikely that anyone would ever have the ability to stop an incident like this from beginning," he said.

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich declared a state of emergency, which will open the governor's disaster fund to reimburse local government entities for "extraordinary expenses related to the response in NIU DeKalb" and will allow the state Emergency Management Agency to provide assistance, the governor's office said in a statement. The 113-year-old school is 65 miles west of downtown Chicago and has an enrollment of more than 25,000. The campus covers 755 acres.
Original story

That's some fucked up shit and it's starting to become a little too common these days.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 05:32 PM #2 of 31
Yea, I saw this shit on the news last night before Lost.

It's becoming so common that I don't see the media chewing on it for hours and hours on end anymore.

It's a little disconcerting, but hey.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Diversion
Jellicle Cat

Member 68

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 05:46 PM #3 of 31
Breaking: Jack Thompson Blames NIU Shooting On Video Games

Doesn't take long.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 05:55 PM #4 of 31
Yes YES, because shooting video games always feature killing sprees inside SCHOOLS. Thompson's a dumbass. But we all knew that already.

Honestly, I didnt hear about this until I read it in the Yahoo news section. Its almost sad that something like this is automatically compared to things in the past... and it is becoming all too common. I'm surprised I haven't seen anything that said "Oh well, it wasnt nearly as bad as VT."

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 07:20 PM Local time: Feb 15, 2008, 06:20 PM #5 of 31
It's becoming so common that I don't see the media chewing on it for hours and hours on end anymore.
This is probably a good thing. The less attention things like this attract in the media, the less they will happen. Nutjobs like this want an audience.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 07:28 PM #6 of 31
Jack Thompson is facing disbarring hearings in Florida. His 15 minutes of fame are at about 14 minutes, 45 seconds.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 07:34 PM Local time: Feb 15, 2008, 05:34 PM #7 of 31
His 15 minutes were up 6 years ago. This is like a death rattle by now; and a rather desperate one at that.

How ya doing, buddy?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 08:09 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 11:09 AM #8 of 31
Was the shooter fat? Blame Namco for Pac-Man. Did the shooter jump at any point in time? Blame Epyx for Jumpman. Did the shooter have a mobile phone? Blame Square for Advent Children. C'mon Jack, creativity!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 08:24 PM #9 of 31
I guess the evidence that the guy had a mental disorder that required medication that he had not been taking somehow eluded him.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Feb 15, 2008, 08:29 PM Local time: Feb 15, 2008, 06:29 PM #10 of 31
The more we acknowledge that guy's existence, the more I'm just baffled. Then again, it's fucking Kotaku, so why am I even surprised? Seriously, if you ignore him, he will go away.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:07 PM Local time: Feb 15, 2008, 09:07 PM #11 of 31
No seriously, guys. What the fuck is in the water back east that makes you fuckers go bonkers with firearms in the schools?

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:09 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 02:09 PM #12 of 31
Bullets, I think!

Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:23 PM #13 of 31
knk, I'm not sure he wanted attention. He didn't spew a bunch of bile about how the world made him this way, or how he's punishing the world for some stupid shit nor was he being all whiny emo goth.

It's actually kind of impressive that finally someone did a massacre without trying to give it some sort of retarded context. However, for the same reason, I don't think he was whoring for attention here.

I was speaking idiomatically.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:34 PM Local time: Feb 15, 2008, 10:34 PM #14 of 31
To be honest, I haven't actually been following the details of this at all, but I still think my previous statement is generally true.

Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:19 AM #15 of 31
The fact that he was on Fox News makes it even more hilarious.

Shit lawyer with no credibility on a shit news network with no credibility.

FELIPE NO
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:50 AM Local time: Feb 15, 2008, 09:50 PM #16 of 31
Shooting games can't really have a positive effect on things, though, can they? I'm in no way blaming the games, themselves, nor am I looking at them solely, but the prevalence of violence in all forms of media is a bit disconcerting.

Last edited by YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE; Feb 16, 2008 at 12:53 AM.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 01:04 AM Local time: Feb 15, 2008, 11:04 PM #17 of 31
But can't it be agreed that it's up to the individual to discern what is right and wrong? Why blame an entire media for the completely nonsensical and irrelevant fuckups of a few prats?

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 01:11 AM Local time: Feb 15, 2008, 10:11 PM #18 of 31
Didn't I just say I wasn't really blaming anyone? It's more a general product of our society, our entire line of development up to this point. Maybe it's just a general human trait. Doesn't change the fact that it's disconcerting.

Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 02:38 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 12:38 AM #19 of 31
I guess the evidence that the guy had a mental disorder that required medication that he had not been taking somehow eluded him.
If that's the case, then how the hell did this motherfucker get his guns?

Goddamn, shit like this and Jack Thompson make me furious. I wish these kinds of people would just kill themselves instead of involving people who have nothing to do with their pitiful existence.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 02:57 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 12:57 AM #20 of 31
Didn't I just say I wasn't really blaming anyone? It's more a general product of our society, our entire line of development up to this point. Maybe it's just a general human trait. Doesn't change the fact that it's disconcerting.
Oh... I didn't mean to sound accusatory or anything but yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes I just have to sit back and rationalize that there are some people in the world who are THAT fucked up and yes they WILL snap. It's more disconcerting to me that right away people flock to find tertiary sources to point fingers towards when in reality they should probably be looking into what caused this young man to go bonkers.

Maybe it was in the water... Maybe it wasn't. It's still worth a look.

Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:18 AM #21 of 31
Capo, it's an interesting thought, and I'm inclined to agree. I don't know that we'll have any historical data to test it though. I mean, if you think back, local societies were much more insular back in the day. If someone went psycho, the best they could hope for was a wood axe, and the people immediately around them would all be known to them, so you'd probably get less of this "meaningless" death.

This is assuming they could manage it in the first place. I figure with a melee weapon, you want to kill lots of people without getting taken down, you've got to be pretty good, and pretty strong.

So you think with the widespread availability of guns nowadays, the less intimate nature of our society, a fringe piece of society could be indulging an impulse that was there all along and we could still be surprised at the newness of it.

How ya doing, buddy?
Max POWER
My style is impetuous

Member 7000

Level 17.86

May 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:56 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 10:56 AM #22 of 31
http://www.godhatesfags.com/written/...ty-shooter.pdf

I was a few hundred feet away when this went down. I shouldn't have any right to complain, considering what those in the classroom went through, but I can't help but take this a bit personally. That's really fucked up. I'm usually not the protesting type, but I think I'd have to show my support if these people come to campus to protest the funerals or the vigils. I honestly respect everyone's right to believe what they believe, even those of this church. However, they have to understand that their actions are very hurtful to those affected by this.

As for the violent video game connection, I believe two things. One, violent games do promote violent behavior, as they raise adrenaline and temporarily desensitize those who play. Two, no violent act should ever be blamed on video game exposure. I mean, violent movies do the same things psychologically to an adult as games to to a child, but anyone who has a decent sense of self-control isn't going to go out and do anything. Of course, it's up to the parents (the ones usually BUYING the games) to decide when their kids have that kind of self-control. I think it's usually later than any parent would like to believe. Anyway, I wish Mr. Thompson would find something better to do with his time.

Last edited by Max POWER; Feb 16, 2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: plural verb usage for a single noun
Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:20 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 10:20 AM #23 of 31
Fucking hell, what the fucking shit is wrong with those inbred hillbilly cultists? I wish the shooter had shot the Westboro fuckers instead.

FELIPE NO
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 02:32 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 12:32 PM #24 of 31
While there is nothing wrong with agenda pushing, the way in which some people latch onto events like this in order to do this is rather obscene.

And what the hell is the matter with those westboro (whetever) pricks?

♪♡
Thanks Seris!
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 03:54 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 03:54 PM #25 of 31
Yeah evidently Heath Ledger croaking from suicide deserves more screen time than college kids getting gunned down ;O Nice job, media~

Seriously, this was a top headline on Drudge for, like, a DAY (more like an afternoon). When the Virginia Tech shitstorm hit, that was on the top for over a week.

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Jackass Thompson is going to have a field day with this one...