Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Help Desk (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   New hard drive? (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30740)

The_Griffin Apr 2, 2008 02:36 AM

New hard drive?

So yeah, the hard drive on my comp's dying. It crashes after around 15 minutes, and won't finishe chkdsk (tried twice).

I need suggestions on a new hard drive. I want something that'll last for more than a year (the piece of shit I'm replacing was brand new last summer). It has to be around 300 GB, minimum. I do a LOT of computer games, so SATA and at least 7200 RPM is a must.

Any suggestions?

THIS JUST HAD TO FUCKING HAPPEN THE NIGHT I DOWNLOADED CALL OF DUTY 4.

BlindMonk Apr 2, 2008 01:23 PM

I'd recommend the the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 drives (with perpendicular recording) at the 500GB and up level. Five year warranty, fast access, and those see some sales as well so if you wait for 'em you'll certainly find a good price.

Note:
I'm in the midst of HDD woes as well so you might find this of interest. Two HDD's were clunking along, would alternately show up as corrupt and working or just fail to boot to Windows at all. I took them out of the case, popped 'em both in an enclosure and tested them on another machine and they both run fine and quiet and chkdsk passed both. Could mean a few things, but at least they aren't trashed and remain usable.

^-^ Apr 2, 2008 04:21 PM

BlindMonk, were you using SATA or IDE?

The_Griffin Apr 2, 2008 06:52 PM

While we're at it, how is Windows Vista? I'm going to be buying a new OS with my hard drive (fucking TIRED of dealing with installing SP2 on an ancient pirated disk) and I've been hearing that Vista isn't 100% terrible anymore.

Megalith Apr 7, 2008 08:39 PM

Stick with XP.

The next Windows OS will be out by the time Vista is optimized.

BlindMonk Apr 8, 2008 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ^-^ (Post 590860)
BlindMonk, were you using SATA or IDE?

Still using IDE. Both drives are currently running fine with a new cable, though performance feels a little slower than I remember.

xiaowei Apr 9, 2008 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Griffin (Post 590932)
While we're at it, how is Windows Vista? I'm going to be buying a new OS with my hard drive (fucking TIRED of dealing with installing SP2 on an ancient pirated disk) and I've been hearing that Vista isn't 100% terrible anymore.

I like Vista. I won't go out of my way to install it on older hardware, but I won't uninstall from current hardware.

Seagate has a 5 year warranty, which makes it a bit marginally more expensive than other manufactures at the same hard drive size. That warranty may be useful for gaming, due to all the disk thrashing you'll be doing.

I personally prefer Western Digital, because 3 year warranty is decent enough for me. I prefer having more space than a longer warranty.

Spinpoints are known for being pretty quiet, if you're into that.

Best Buy is currently selling a 1 TB Seagate for 190. Not a bad deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindMonk (Post 593028)
Still using IDE. Both drives are currently running fine with a new cable, though performance feels a little slower than I remember.

Are your drivers okay? My hard drive controller drivers got fucked once and I had to reinstall them.

Megalith Apr 9, 2008 07:05 AM

You could always get a Raptor.

::nomeaning::

dj_kronic May 10, 2008 07:49 PM

I just like to buy whatever's cheapest and throw them into a RAID 1 array... redundancy = peace of mind.

Denied Oct 9, 2008 12:03 PM

Stick with Seagate thomas :D

Inhert Oct 12, 2008 03:54 AM

on the subject I'm looking to replace my ps3 HDD and I know I need a 2.5hardrive.

but what i really want to know is if there's a good website to buy HDD that ship to Canada?

RacinReaver Oct 12, 2008 04:47 AM

I think most Canadians use futureshop.com

BlindMonk Oct 12, 2008 08:48 AM

Check out the recently established Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

MuppeTFuckeR Oct 12, 2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhert (Post 651395)
on the subject I'm looking to replace my ps3 HDD and I know I need a 2.5hardrive.

but what i really want to new is if there's a good website to buy HDD that ship to Canada?

buy local, it's cheaper
try here - MICROBYTES, Montreal's Computer Warehouse, Computer Montreal Quebec
or here - Informatique Sigmawave Inc

Inhert Oct 12, 2008 01:08 PM

hey thanks Muppet those seem to have the best prices!