Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Video Gaming (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   [Question] Concerning Wii and Monitors (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15168)

Smoodle Nov 26, 2006 04:46 AM

Concerning Wii and Monitors

Forgive my ignorance on this subject. I read somewhere that the Wii can hook up to your computer monitor somehow. Is this correct? If so, how is it done?

Sousuke Nov 26, 2006 12:21 PM

I'd also love to know--I have a nice flat panel and I'd much rather play on this than my crappy TV, even if it is smaller.

Malmer Nov 26, 2006 01:00 PM

I believe the statement that Wii could work on any kind of display was just misunderstood, as they meant there would be no compatibility issues on any displays due to the use of the sensor bar that works independent of the screen, unlike a lightgun.

You will still need a vga-box, or a take the signal through your computer with a TV-card.
Vga-boxes that support progressive scan (though a lot more expensive), are the best by far, but it still isn't an optimum solution.

ramoth Nov 26, 2006 01:44 PM

Some flat panel LCDs support composite in, some even S-Video in. I don't really know of any that support component in.

speculative Nov 26, 2006 02:10 PM

You could also try running it through the video-in of your video card, although that probably wouldn't look too great.

Cobalt Katze Nov 26, 2006 02:17 PM

As people have said, your best bet is if your monitor has: Composite in or S-Video in. (All of Dell's widescreen flats do). Composite would look rather blurry though, I'd imagine.

If the Wii had HDMI out, you could do an HDMI->DVI, but unfortunately that's not the case.

ramoth Nov 26, 2006 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
As people have said, your best bet is if your monitor has: Composite in or S-Video in. (All of Dell's widescreen flats do). Composite would look rather blurry though, I'd imagine.

If the Wii had HDMI out, you could do an HDMI->DVI, but unfortunately that's not the case.

One of those composites should be a component. I'm assuming the first one.

I didn't know Dell flat panels had component in. Interesting.

Free.User Nov 26, 2006 02:22 PM

There are tons of LCDs with component in, and (unrelated to Wii) the BenQ fp241w even has an HDMI input.

Your best choices are:
1: Get a Wii component cable (There are some third party ones for $7, but I'm not sure how good they are) and plug the Wii right into the monitor
2: Get a component to VGA adapter

ramoth Nov 26, 2006 02:25 PM

Well, shows how much I know about flat panel monitors (not a whole lot).

The Wii looks alright on my TV using composite input. I would be interested to se e the difference firsthand.

Sousuke Nov 26, 2006 03:40 PM

I've got a Dell 17" [1707FP, if that matters], and it seems the only ports are a VGA and a DVI...

Other than a passthrough on a video card [and my card doesn't have A/V input/output], is there any way to connect to a monitor? Cable adapters or something? I'd love to pick up an HDTV of sorts, but at this point the price tag is a little too much. :/

Free.User Nov 26, 2006 03:51 PM

Grab something like this. If you buy a VGA to Component adapter though, check to see if the component ends are male or female. If they are male, you'll need to get three RCA female to female gender changers. (You may also need a VGA gender changer, but the cable should have a female VGA end by default.)

Cobalt Katze Nov 26, 2006 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramoth
One of those composites should be a component. I'm assuming the first one.

I didn't know Dell flat panels had component in. Interesting.

Nah, I meant composite for both, hence the disclaimer on composite looking funky. My monitor doesn't have component in, it has composite, s-video, DVI and VGA. Can switch between the four inputs with a button on the front, so I have my Computer, PS2, Gamecube and PS3 all hooked up to it. (GCN and PS2 are both in S-video due to a all-in-one cable)

Lukage Nov 27, 2006 01:55 AM

You can alternatively do some soldering and turn the ends of a component cable into a 15-pin DSUB adapter. *can't find the link ATM*

Amayirot Akago Nov 27, 2006 03:08 AM

I was planning on hooking up the Wii through composite cable to my Tuner card.