Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Video Gaming (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   [DS] Wizard of Oz: Beyond The Yellow Brick Road (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38117)

Hindman Jul 20, 2009 01:34 PM

Wizard of Oz: Beyond The Yellow Brick Road

Teh informationz, screenz, previewz
Coming this fall. Developed by Media.Vision and published by XSeed. Negative on flying monkeys. Repeat: lacks flying monkeys.
http://rpgland.com/content/media/2009/07/wizardbox.jpg

Quote:

Players get four “ratio” points to use in each round of battle. Dorothy and Scarecrow cost one, Cowardly Lion costs two, and the Tin Man costs three. One’s gotta figure out what’s best to do. Only characters acting during that round can be attacked, but everyone gains the same amount of EXP at the end of the battle, even if they don’t do anything in the battle. At first it might seem like the player chooses turn order, but battle participants act in order of agility (the scarecrow will always go first, for example). Worth note is that each character is strong against a certain type of enemy.

Taco Jul 20, 2009 01:58 PM

Awesome, maybe reading comprehension will help me through this game a little bit better. I played the Japanese version up until the flower castle boss and then kept getting worked.

That said, it's one of the best-looking DS games by far, and the Sakimoto soundtrack is awesome.

RacinReaver Jul 20, 2009 02:28 PM

Why does this sound like a bad VH1 special.

Kimchi Jul 20, 2009 05:20 PM

Wizard of Oz + RPG+ Handheld system? Win!

wvlfpvp Jul 20, 2009 07:13 PM

I just like the fact that the game is called "Rizzoad" in Japanese.

It's like they made the game for niggers.

Dark Nation Jul 20, 2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wvlfpvp (Post 714753)
I just like the fact that the game is called "Rizzoad" in Japanese.

It's like they made the game for niggers.

RIZ-ZOAWD man, REPRESENT!
I might just check out this game. Media.Vision are the guys behind the Wild Arms games, but this looks pretty... different.

Taco Sep 23, 2009 06:11 AM

Woah, this game comes out next week. Totally snuck up on me.

I've gotta finish up Mario & Luigi 3 pronto to make room for this.

Hindman Oct 10, 2009 10:09 PM

When I'd played it for the preview (beat the Yellow Brick Road and first witch), I was still going strong and the game was alright.

But after a while, certain things got on my nerves and some sloppy game design choices/oversights became more and more noticeable. It added up to a below average experience.

Kimchi Oct 10, 2009 10:21 PM

Ah, oh well. Despite of that review I am still gonna pick it up. I just can't pass on Wizard of OZ jrpg.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen Oct 10, 2009 10:29 PM

I think it's a solid 7. It does nothing particularly noteworthy, which more or less sums up all the work of Media Vision.

I'd say it's worth a purchase if you like a bright and cheery atmosphere.

Hindman Oct 10, 2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB (Post 729140)
I'd say it's worth a purchase if you like a bright and cheery atmosphere.

I love a bright and cheery atmosphere.

I feel it's better when it can actually be explored, though.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen Oct 11, 2009 11:18 AM

This isn't the first game to eschew non-linearity, and one of my favorite RPGs (Valkyrie Profile) also had dungeons built like stages of an action game or platformer. Certainly it's not the best design choice and it's not going to win any awards, but I found it to be worth the money in the end. It's hard to find heartwarming games, especially in a genre that seems to prize moodiness, swordplay and effeminate men.

You can't tell me you didn't smile fondly when there was that drawing of Dorothy and the Scarecrow skipping toward Oz Castle.

Celisasu Oct 12, 2009 12:36 AM

Reading that review, that trackball thing actually sounds kind of annoying.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen Oct 12, 2009 10:21 AM

If you're pushing the trackball more than once every three or so seconds, you're not doing it right. It wasn't a very bright design choice, as I've been saying about a lot of things, but it's a mild inconvenience at worst. Honestly, I found it kind of enjoyable.

I seem pretty biased, yes, but I did not have any preconceived notions for the import. I just played it and liked the package as a whole.