Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Video Gaming (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   [PC] Crysis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25352)

Skexis Sep 23, 2007 09:47 PM

Crysis

So I was able to play the beta recently courtesy of a friend's Fileplanet account. (spoiler'd for TLDR reasons)

Spoiler:

It's a multiplayer only beta, so I can't say anything for the campaign, but the multiplayer feels similar to UT2004's onslaught, but combined with Battlefield 2 in some ways. Instead of kits, though, you get buying menus and the supersuit.

They took most of their cue from Onslaught, as you go from point to point and capture flags in order to unlock new weapon buying options and new vehicles.

Really, it's closest to BF2 in the initial learning curve and the frustration that comes with it. You'll die a lot in this game, unless you play it religiously and become one of the elites on the server. The problem I have is that because each player can become a walking apocalypse, and because there's so much chaos on screen at any given moment, the outcome feels like it's random.

The gameplay is really trying to be too many things at once. It wants Counterstrike's arcade action, but expansive levels. It wants supersuit abilities, but it also wants vehicles that negate the use of the suit. And while everybody is shooting rockets, capturing flags, defending points, sniping each other, or just running to somewhere to try to do one of these things, the whole "team" environment just breaks down entirely.

See, if we compare it to Battlefield 2 again, that's where BF2 definitely got it right. There's a definite chain of command. There's squads, who are capable of doing different things or taking different objectives. And they have their own communication channels so that no one gets confused about the person speaking.

Not so with Crysis. There is simply too much shit happening at any given time for the average person to be able to absorb. For a guy like myself, who is definitely more interested in taking objectives or winning the rounds, it's just fanservice taken to the extreme.

But this is also only one mode of play. The final version will probably have a few more modes with more of a straightforward idea to satisfy me and the other three guys that care about what they're blowing up and why.

One thing to note is that even though I have a beefy system (8800 GTS, 2 gigs of DDR2 ram, Athlon X2 5200+) I'm having real trouble running this without chop unless I put the resolution on 1024x768, and all the settings on medium. It's possible the game hasn't been optimized very well so far, seeing as it is just in beta, but if I'm running near top of the line equipment and can't manage "high" settings, there's trouble brewing ahead when people figure out that it's this game that fried their motherboards.

For people who just love shooting things and having it look pretty, or more importantly, for people who love having a smorgasbord of options in front of them, you might want to check it out. Personally I'll probably be sticking to the deathmatch and the campaign once the game comes out.

So, anyone excited about this game for reasons beyond the graphics? (I can't wait to superpunch a few soldiers into the stratosphere.)

Slayer X Sep 23, 2007 10:01 PM

I can't wait for the single player. Looks like FarCry but with weapon modding and plasmids. Which is a good thing might I add. I can't comment on my multiplayer views due to lack of contentual knowledge, unfortunately ^^;

Tagonist Sep 24, 2007 12:05 AM

Looks solid enough, but sadly it appears to collide with the release of Mass Effect. :(
I'll wait for the reviews and player reactions.
I've heard people saying it looks totally unimpressive gameplay wise, complaining about the employed "run and gun" tactics shown in some of the gameplay trailers, but I've never really understood why. O_ô

Besides from that, I really, really want this game. I've loved Far Cry to pieces, and here we are, having a "spiritual succsessor" that actually builds upon its predecessor.
That suit stuff looks really neat. And, well, the engine too, but hey, it's Crytek, so that's kinda to be expected.
Far Cry's engine mopped the floor with id's DooM3 thing...

Lukage Sep 24, 2007 10:54 PM

I ran it today on my 8800GTX and it ran fine, but I was lagging for some reason, so I had some issues. Load times were a piece of cake. Not all that excited about the multiplayer as it tries to be BF2 and Counter-Strike at the same time. I'm pleased to know that my machine can handle it and this is really the peak of the strain. The level is pretty damn big and there's a lot going on, so its a good measure of testing machines.

Reminds me too much of the demo for BF2 as this is basically Wake Island. Oh well.

Free.User Sep 25, 2007 12:07 AM

Where are you guys getting the demo? Is it a subscription only at Fileplanet?

Lukage Sep 25, 2007 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Free.User (Post 507746)
Where are you guys getting the demo? Is it a subscription only at Fileplanet?

Yep, a pretty retarded way of doing it, but that's what happens when EA gets involved with anything.

Lukage Sep 26, 2007 08:45 PM

Anyone else wanna add me in-game to their Crysis Counterfield 2 buddy list?

Otherwise, 'sup Xfire.

evilboris Sep 27, 2007 12:47 PM

I'd love to check Crysis out but I don't have the necessary Dual Crossfire 3gb model of the Geforce x1950HDXGT Ultra.

Kimchi Sep 27, 2007 03:27 PM

Def getting this game.

Now let's see.. I only need to upgrade pc now X_x

Lukage Sep 27, 2007 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilboris (Post 508762)
I'd love to check Crysis out but I don't have the necessary Dual Crossfire 3gb model of the Geforce x1950HDXGT Ultra.

Then turn down the settings. The game's meant to be sold, so most people are just intimidated by its potential rather than the fact that it caters to a larger audience than perceived.

Free.User Sep 27, 2007 05:34 PM

Here's an interesting GFW Radio interview with Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli. It has lots of info about PC requirements. Yerli states that an SLI/crossfire system is required to run the game at max settings, but a single 8800 will run the game at med-high just fine.

Slayer X Sep 27, 2007 06:13 PM

SLI should not be required to run this game. Sure it looks pretty. But I'm sure if they spent more time on the technology they could get it to run perfectly fine on a single 8800. Seriously. Let's see how pratical this is.

Probably 20% of the gaming market plays "state of the art" PC games today. Perhaps 70% of them have an 8800. And maybe 50% of them have SLI. So that's about 7.5% of the total gaming market. Yeah... this is gonna be great. I could be totally off, this is just how I feel about the issue, it's not fact.

However I suppose the initial sales will be high until the average person realizes what it takes to get the graphics to look as good as the back of the box. Then expect sales to plumed.

Free.User Sep 27, 2007 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slayer X (Post 508891)
Probably 20% of the gaming market plays "state of the art" PC games today. Perhaps 70% of them have an 8800. And maybe 50% of them have SLI. So that's about 7.5% of the total gaming market. Yeah... this is gonna be great. I could be totally off, this is just how I feel about the issue, it's not fact.

You're probably being to generous to the 8800s. Let's consult Steam's stats;
4.56 % of the steam userbase is running an 8800.

Also, a message for the people who are pissed at Crytek for making such a power-hungry game: Nobody is making you buy it.

Slayer X Sep 27, 2007 07:45 PM

I'm not so much mad about it as I find it a funny thought that they would think that making a game with such high demands would be profitable.

evilboris Sep 27, 2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukage (Post 508863)
Then turn down the settings. The game's meant to be sold, so most people are just intimidated by its potential rather than the fact that it caters to a larger audience than perceived.

Then the game would look like shit, and the main reason I'll ever check out Crysis is for the graphics. Other then the glorious techdemos, it's really just generic PC FPS #9817. But I admit that the graphics look better then any "nextgen" game I've saw so far, which is why I want to check it out.

Besides, last time I ran a "modern" game (Lost Planet), it was running at 5-10 fps on the absolute lowest settings in 800x600. So even at low settings, Crysis probably wouldn't budge on my rig.

I'm getting a new card this week but it wont really help much (Radeon x1950 512mb - I'm still on AGP mind you).

Lukage Sep 27, 2007 10:40 PM

Why spend money on something that "won't really help much?"

So basically I've got an 8800GTX and I've got it all maxed (1680x1050) without AA on yet. I'm going to run some FPS checks, but the multiplayer seems to get me more and more hungry for some action in the campaign. Counterfield 2 here is getting boring already.

evilboris Sep 28, 2007 05:08 AM

It'll still double performance on anything else, it just wont really help much as far as Crysis goes (it'll run at 4 fps instead of 2 - whoop dee doo).

Tehlamah Sep 28, 2007 09:17 AM

you should be able to run the game at around 20-30fps atleast with decent resolution and medium settings with a x1950 but also depends on the rest of your hardware :p

Free.User Oct 1, 2007 06:08 PM

Well a Public Beta was released today, so hurry and get your keys!

I will enjoy this graphical orgasm in a few hours.

RacinReaver Oct 1, 2007 07:59 PM

I wonder if I should download this and try it on my midrange system from three years ago for lols. As a yardstick, Oblivion looked like Wolfenstein 3D when I ran it at 640x480.

thekillingbean Oct 2, 2007 01:30 PM

Hmm to bad, the keys are all gone again. Hope they give keys soon again.

Lukage Oct 2, 2007 01:33 PM

I'm sorry that people will be disappointed, especially if they've played Battlefield 2. Also, yes, we're all aware of the audio bugs with a machine gun permanently firing in the background. Just be enthused about the SP demo.

Tagonist Oct 2, 2007 01:49 PM

That audio bug already was in Far Cry... O_ô
At least... On my old rig it was...

RacinReaver Oct 2, 2007 01:52 PM

I had a bug like that in Counterstrike way back in the day, actually. Same with now and then in Call of Duty. I think it even happened once or twice in Battlefield 2.

Is there some reason this bug keeps popping up?

Lukage Oct 2, 2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacinReaver (Post 510701)
I had a bug like that in Counterstrike way back in the day, actually. Same with now and then in Call of Duty. I think it even happened once or twice in Battlefield 2.

Is there some reason this bug keeps popping up?

Because the multiplayer IS Battlefield 2 with the same bugs. Really, when you play it, you'll be haunted once again by the terrors that came with BF2. It still looks great and plays well, so don't let that scare you. I'm just saying the multiplayer isn't its selling point.