Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   'Popcorn' Discontinued in My Area!? (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25441)

DeLorean Sep 27, 2007 10:19 PM

'Popcorn' Discontinued in My Area!?

I'm not sure if this is a thing that is just in my area, or a country wide service. But here, if I dialed P-O-P-C-O-R-N (actually just P-O-P and any four numbers) there was recording that would tell you exactly what time it was. I depended on it when setting my clocks. What I'm after is an internet alternative to this. Is there a site that provides the exact time for my specific time zone?

Gechmir Sep 27, 2007 10:28 PM

Thought this was gonna be about Orville's boys going on a strike, and movie theaters cutting back on those tasty snacks =(

DeLorean Sep 27, 2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gechmir (Post 509021)
Thought this was gonna be about Orville's boys going on a strike, and movie theaters cutting back on those tasty snacks =(

Fooled. ;)

RacinReaver Sep 28, 2007 03:06 PM

You could use the National Institutes of Standards and Technology website: NIST: Time and Frequency Division - Division 847

They give lots of servers to synchronize your computer lock with. Alternatively, if you have a shortwave radio they offer a number of stations for which you can listen for the time.

PiccoloNamek Sep 28, 2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeLorean (Post 509018)
I'm not sure if this is a thing that is just in my area, or a country wide service. But here, if I dialed P-O-P-C-O-R-N (actually just P-O-P and any four numbers) there was recording that would tell you exactly what time it was. I depended on it when setting my clocks. What I'm after is an internet alternative to this. Is there a site that provides the exact time for my specific time zone?

I guess it's just your area, because I've never heard of such a thing. My area has its own time and temperature number that has nothing to do with popcorn.

I poked it and it made a sad sound Sep 28, 2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacinReaver (Post 509208)
Alternatively, if you have a shortwave radio they offer a number of stations for which you can listen for the time.

I love that idea. A shortwave station that just informs you of the immediate time.

"The time is now 8:45:01, 8:45:02, 8:45:03...."

I want to listen to this station.

Musharraf Sep 28, 2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassafrass (Post 509228)

Yeah wow this must be extremely interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeLorean (Post 509018)

The official US time

??? ?

Little Shithead Sep 28, 2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassafrass (Post 509228)
I love that idea. A shortwave station that just informs you of the immediate time.

"The time is now 8:45:01, 8:45:02, 8:45:03...."

Oh, they've been around for years. All you have to have is a radio that can pick up 2.5, 5, 10 15 and 20 MHz (basically, any shortwave radio.)

However, it's kind of annoying to listen to for a long time, since it's essentially nothing but a bunch of tones to represent each second, until a few seconds before the minute, when they have a voice that will tell you what time it will (exactly,) be at the next tone, in Coordinated Universal Time.

Dopefish Sep 28, 2007 06:28 PM

Here's an article confirming what the OP was talking about: News - No more dialing 'POPCORN' to get time after Sept. 19 - sacbee.com

Sakabadger Sep 28, 2007 07:18 PM

Haha, I remember calling POPCORN all the time when I was in elementary school to figure out if I was gonna be late or not. I'll sure miss it.

AT THE TONE PACIFIC STANDARD TIME WILL BE...

SuperNova Sep 28, 2007 11:52 PM

The official US time - It's the national standard for time.

The Wise Vivi Oct 1, 2007 12:25 AM

I had no idea about this shortwave radio time counter or the POPCORN thing. Do (or Did) they have that in Canada too?

Anyone know?

RacinReaver Oct 1, 2007 02:33 AM

I imagine the radio waves don't stop once they hit Canadian airspace.

The Wise Vivi Oct 1, 2007 10:56 AM

I meant through the phone.

Matt Oct 1, 2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacinReaver (Post 510181)
I imagine the radio waves don't stop once they hit Canadian airspace.

I thought all the maple syrup and bacon gristle blocked their signal? :psyduck: