Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Video Gaming (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   [PS3] Plan on owning a PS3? (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17836)

Jarllax Jan 23, 2007 07:47 PM

Plan on owning a PS3?

I've noticed there are very few PS3 threads here and even in the Official PS3 thread it seems like the same 5 people are the only ones posting.

So I thought I'd make this poll to see where people stand on the PS3 issue. Do you already own one, do you plan to own one soon, or do you have no intention of buying one.

There are plenty of very good looking games coming out in the next few months and through the end of the year so perhaps most of you are just waiting to jump on the bandwagon 'till then. But that is what I'd like to know. I'd like to see more discussion about actual PS3 games rather that just the console in the only active PS3 thread we currently have.

PiccoloNamek Jan 23, 2007 08:42 PM

Whenever Silent Hill 5 comes out, that is when I am purchasing a PS3.

Metal Sphere Jan 23, 2007 08:48 PM

I'm definitely getting one, just that the price and current library of games (and the poor BC image quality, this is a major thing for me) really aren't all that appealing to me. I've heard nothing but horror stories about how PS2 games look on the PS3, with some notables like Okami hurting real bad.

Skexis Jan 23, 2007 09:07 PM

I'd like one, for new games as well as to upgrade from my current PS2 that's having trouble reading certain DVDs and games. Of course, that puts me on the spot if it turns out HD DVD wins in the format war.

I've also heard bad things about the backwards compatibility not using any kind of filtering, so everything comes out looking jaggy. This was the link someone at cheapassgamer referred me to, but there's no real way to know if it's a true representation. Based on some screenshots I've seen, though, things aren't looking good, at least for the PS2 gen games.

If some of you are considering one right now, gamestop is running a promo to trade in your PS2 with a controller and memory card to get $100 off the PS3. You can use a coupon they have running right now as well as an edge card to get an extra $20 in trade-in value. I considered it, but I'll probably wuss out until I see a price drop.

Soluzar Jan 23, 2007 09:13 PM

I'm not even sure anymore. It costs a lot, and the number of announced exclusives isn't that great. I'm not going to buy into any console without a few decent exclusives, and there just haven't been enough confirmed yet.

Backwards compatibility is nice, since I have a good collection of PS2 and PS1 games. On the other hand, I see that it won't be region-free, and I have games from all three regions in my collection. I doubt my Swap Magic will work, and as for HDLoader... not likely.

I was intrigued by the homebrew capabilities inherent in the PS3, because it can have various OS including several distributions of Linux instaled, but then I found out that access to the GPU is crippled in Linux mode, so no chance of a decent HDTV media player.

I'm also still pissed that there won't be a rumble feature in the controllers. I know that isn't Sony's fault, but I can't be happy about it. That's another kick in the teeth for backwards compatibility. I'm not exactly ecstatic about the motion tracking capabilities. Not like it's a bad thing, but... meh. We have the Wii for that, ya know. I'm also not a fan of wireless controllers in general. At least they can be used with a wired connnection...

value tart Jan 24, 2007 03:32 AM

Whenever the PS3 doesn't cost the equivalent of a month's paycheck, that's when I'll get one. I'm sure there will be enough Final Fantasy and other games that come out taht at some point I'll get the PS3, but $600 is just FAR too much for a game console. SEriously.

Muzza Jan 24, 2007 03:44 AM

Some of my favourite series of video games are having their sequel(s) released on the PS3 (and if they aren't as of now, I'm sure they will eventually). But, the price. It's ridiculous. When they drop the price, I'll buy it; I just don't want to give them the $1000AUD satisfaction.

Cetra Jan 24, 2007 12:58 PM

I plan on waiting until some decent RPGs are available. I've learned my lesson with the PS2: there isn't a point in owning a console until it has some games which are of interest to you.

Karasu Jan 24, 2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skexis (Post 371853)
I'd like one, for new games as well as to upgrade from my current PS2 that's having trouble reading certain DVDs and games. Of course, that puts me on the spot if it turns out HD DVD wins in the format war.

I've also heard bad things about the backwards compatibility not using any kind of filtering, so everything comes out looking jaggy. This was the link someone at cheapassgamer referred me to, but there's no real way to know if it's a true representation. Based on some screenshots I've seen, though, things aren't looking good, at least for the PS2 gen games.

If some of you are considering one right now, gamestop is running a promo to trade in your PS2 with a controller and memory card to get $100 off the PS3. You can use a coupon they have running right now as well as an edge card to get an extra $20 in trade-in value. I considered it, but I'll probably wuss out until I see a price drop.

I was just watching that vid, and I must say its disappointing to see that. However, someone commented in the video saying the firmware update took that jagged edge thing away, so now they look normal. That's good then :).

As for me...I would love a ps3. I love the fact my PSP will connect with it, and some of the games I played on my ps2 will be on the ps3 most likely [Ace Combat :D!] I guess like everyone else...the price is really killing me. On the other hand though, the ps3 is able to play Blu Ray, and looking at some Blu Ray players...they're 999.99, so in that perspective, you're getting a better deal with the ps3. For me, I think there are more positives than negatives with the ps3, the only negatives for me is as I said the price, and the game library right now. I'm sure when Christmas '07 hits...it will have much better games.

K_ Takahashi Jan 24, 2007 01:18 PM

Ill start saving for one when I find MGS4's release date, by that time I should be well finacially off than I am now.

Unforgiven Jan 24, 2007 08:29 PM

I'll be buying one once the price drops and the library of games interest me enough. FFXIII maybe?

eprox1 Jan 24, 2007 08:54 PM

Yeah, when the library grows and some of the exclusives start hitting, I expect more people to be singing a different tune than they are right now. It might also help if Sony keeps improving the system via updates, like how they just fixed the whole Backwards Compatibility issue ([cough]and if they added an adapter for guitar hero[/cough]). Who knows, though :/.

I purposefully left my PS3 at home so it didn't distract me at school. And so I didn't get drunk and throw a beer at it. I am thoroughly addicted to online Resistance right now.

Summonmaster Jan 24, 2007 09:21 PM

Solely for FF XIII in all it's incarnations, and nothing else. I can't even think of a single title that would be released on the PS3 that I was actually hyped or knowledgeable of. I saw a movie for the city of "Metronome" long time ago or something but I think someone said that was a hoax and not really a PS3 game. When the price drops below $300 or something, then is the only time I'll even consider. That or when and if PS2 section is phased out by the PS3 collection of games.

Skexis Jan 24, 2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karasu (Post 372263)
I was just watching that vid, and I must say its disappointing to see that. However, someone commented in the video saying the firmware update took that jagged edge thing away, so now they look normal. That's good then :).

Looks like you're exactly right. IGN reported on it, and has a video available for people to see the differences between original PS2, 1.1 firmware PS3, and 1.5 firmware PS3.

Encouraging, to say the least, but still distressing that it went to store shelves the way it was. It could just be a matter of people who were working on the problem in the meantime, but it certainly didn't help their corporate image, either.

ZealPath Jan 24, 2007 10:38 PM

I know I'll have one eventually, but hell, at the moment I don't even see a PS3 section in my local EBs, certainly not in any rush to spend money on something that won't see much use (yet... and that's probably a big yet).

The release date of FFXIII is probably the biggest determining factor on when I get one. It will of course, be handy as a blu-ray player at some point as well (another thing that at this point, seems completely unecessary).

One reason why I do kinda want one now is because of the controller... so similar, but the sticks seem to move a little nicer, and of course, they're wireless. I realize I could get any number of 3rd party wireless PS2 controllers but most of them are a little strange, while the PS3's just has that natural feel from the ones I've held in stores.

Fafner Jan 27, 2007 11:21 AM

Like others have mentioned, I'll get a PS3 when Final Fantasy XIII is released, even if, theoretically, no price drop has ocurred by that time. I just hope Sony keeps those 20GB models in production.:forscience:

Aardark Jan 27, 2007 12:12 PM

I think 600$ is an okay price for a console that powerful, and a lot of the people that complain about its being too expensive would spend twice that amount to ''upgrade'' a PC without batting an eye. I think I might get one when a reliable method of playing pirated games off the hard drive is developed. If I lived in the US, maybe I would consider actually buying the games, but the markup here is so ridiculous that it's like throwing money away.

garthvadr3 Jan 27, 2007 05:05 PM

I plan on owning a PS3 eventually, that is if Sony does not go bankrupt first. Its just that, as most people have stated, there are few reasons why I could EVER find a reason to spend $600 on a game console.

Maybe I will get one after a few price drops but 600 is way too much. Also, there really are no games that interest me right now, and it seems like all the exclusives are moving to the 360 except for a few.

I figure I will get a Wii in March and then wait a year to see which of the 360 or the PS3 comes out with more games that I like.

sabbey Jan 27, 2007 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unforgiven (Post 372554)
I'll be buying one once the price drops and the library of games interest me enough. FFXIII maybe?

There are other games I might be interested in, but won't care to find out until the system is $300 or less... ;)

:cow:

Quote:

Originally Posted by garthvadr3 (Post 374345)
I figure I will get a Wii in March and then wait a year to see which of the 360 or the PS3 comes out with more games that I like.

Yeah, while I already own a X360 I'll be buying a Wii way sooner than I'd ever want the PS3. Not at all interested in Blu-Ray as a medium and I can't think of a single game out now that I would want for it, but the Wii has more than a few I plan on purchasing and the console is not overpriced...

Overall, the only PS3 game I'd like to play I am aware of, FFXIII, is one I can wait quite awhile since I still haven't played either FFXI or FFXII. Probably will never play the online game, but am planning on playing XII soon enough. Until then, the PS3 can wait.

Conan-the-3rd Jan 27, 2007 05:27 PM

Between the cripled price point, the Cripled EU release and generaly Cripled attatude of Sony.

Nah.

Edit: And don't let the theme fool you, I have a ps2 sitting under my tv too.

speculative Jan 27, 2007 06:19 PM

Looking at the poll #'s I don't see that as a good sign for Sony. I guess they can only win console launches when they launch against Sega consoles. :tombstone:

I bought a Wii, and I have a PS2 also. They are still releasing big PS2 titles (FFXII, Rogue Galaxy) so there is no need for me to upgrade there. I will be spending $ in '07 on major Wii games (Metriod, Mario, etc.) and also doing a PC upgrade. When I finish my PC upgrade I will be able to play PC games with much better graphics than the PS3 can provide, so I will have no need for an Xbox 360 or PS3 for graphics. The Wii will provide fun console-type games while the PC will provide shooters etc. That should keep me busy throughout '07 & '08. Maybe I would think of a PS3 in '09, if it was about $200...

Aardark Jan 27, 2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speculative (Post 374407)
Looking at the poll #'s I don't see that as a good sign for Sony. I guess they can only win console launches when they launch against Sega consoles. :tombstone:

Umm I wouldn't say that 75% of people saying they already own a PS3 or plan to buy one eventually is a bad sign for Sony. Not that these poll figures mean much, but anyway.

Infernal Monkey Jan 27, 2007 08:36 PM

The only game that honestly appeals to me on PlayStation 3 at the moment is Motorstorm, and sorry, but no console is worth nine hundred and ninety nine AU dollars (Panasonic 3D0 launched at the same price and that certainly went well), and no game is worth $120! I wouldn't even pay that for KLAX. A NEW VERSION OF KLAX, DRIPPING IN AWESOME CELL RENDERED KLAX WAVES. Oh wai-

I'll get one in a few years when the system and games drop to a sensible price. Maybe by then there'll be a Gregory Horror Show 2, at least seventy D3 games and a SOS The REALLY Final Escape (this one will be about trying to escape an episode of King of Queens while riding an exercise bike "GAME OVER")!

Slayer X Jan 27, 2007 08:38 PM

Speculative: No PC technology exists on the market that can rival the Cell Processor or the dual Nvidia 6800Ultra GPU (RSX), so it doesn't matter what you upgrade to, there's no way it'll be able to play games that look as good or better then the PS3. And only Super Computers have equal or more processing power then the PS3. http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...s/article.html

I'm not trying to shoot you down, that's just the way it is. Heck, a PC can do more things then any console can, so if you need a new PC, you need a new PC.

Domino Jan 27, 2007 09:54 PM

At the current moment in time I don't have any intention of owning a PS3 as there are some quality games out for PS2 that I have yet to play, and I don't want to ditch the PS2 just yet. My PC is my main gaming station though, and I can see it staying that way for some time. I have gone away from console gaming and more into PC based games.

If some game comes out for the PS3 that demands that I buy it, then I may do so, but until that time arrives I am happy with my PC and my PS2. Besides the PS3 won't be here until March, and it'll probably cost £1000, and that's a lot more money than I am willing to pay out for something at one time.