Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   I make a bitch sandwich (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Sushi Thread - ARIGATO! (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1911)

evergreen Mar 14, 2006 11:50 PM

Sushi Thread - ARIGATO!

Any sushi afficioinados here? I'm sure there are cause there used to be a thread on this beloved food.

Where to start... does anyone have any sushi specialties at the places they frequent? Mine are all the usual stuff, so there's nothing out of the ordinary.

By the by, has anyone tried fugu?

Spyer Mar 14, 2006 11:58 PM

Well, the only sushi I know of is that California sushi that I buy at the local Sobeys, and I must say, it is quite delicious, especially with that wasabi. Oh man, I've never felt such a sensation in my life!

shadowlink56 Mar 15, 2006 12:42 AM

Pretty tough to find good sushi in Colorado, but boy did we. A place called sushi den had the best Unagi I've ever had. MAN Unagi is good!

Rydia Mar 15, 2006 01:54 AM

I find that some sushi from local supermarkets seem to be as good as the ones I’ve had from real restaurants. Not all were like this though, as some just tasted too artificial. The only place near my area with sushi I enjoy is from a Japanese restaurant called Umeko.

Scottie Wolfe Mar 15, 2006 02:15 AM

I've loved sushi for years now and me and my girlfriend always go out of our way to try different bars in Montreal. We're not close to being done, though, seeing as there are TONS.

On a different note, we starting MAKING our own sushi. Costs half the price of what you'd pay in bars and it tastes just as good! I've got this gigantic book that describes everything from how to gut the fish to what kind of plate arrangements you can use. My advice to all of you is to find a good sushi book and try it at home. You'll impress alot of folks, that's for sure.

Yunnie Mar 15, 2006 02:42 AM

Sushi = something I have to eat at least twice a week for lunch.

Raw salmon and tuna are my fav, then shrimp (not raw) and tamago (egg) are ranked 3rd and 4th for me when comes to eating sushi. ^^

Eleo Mar 15, 2006 02:50 AM

What does this stuff taste like? I actually don't even really like fish that much at all and am allergic to some times. However the sometimes elegant presentation of sushi makes me want to devour it, but I am very apprehensive about eating raw fish.

Yunnie Mar 15, 2006 02:52 AM

If you're allergic to some fish, maybe it wouldn't be a wise idea to just try it randomly... But if you aren't allergic to shrimp, then maybe you can try that first.

Eleo Mar 15, 2006 03:06 AM

I am allergic to shrimp; most of my allergies are shellfish. I have to consume a lot to get really sick, but when I do I will be barfing for the next few days. (I'd think logically that a little shrimp = a little vomiting, but that is not so.)

But raw shrimp is the gray, goopy stuff. Surely it isn't eaten like that?

Fjordor Mar 15, 2006 03:15 AM

Naw, there is a redder type of shrimp they use, although I think they are really called prawns.
Also, are you allergic to tuna? Because that is the stanard for any sushi meal, and that stuff can be pretty good with the right amount of soy sauce.

As for my personal preferences, I have always loved mackerel. It seems to me to have perfect texture and fishy flavor. Also, salmon is good.

Elcee Mar 15, 2006 03:54 AM

I was a sushi chef at my ex's father's restaurant for a while and so I've lost touch with fanaticism, but I do still enjoy it from time to time. I think the party killer was when I had to make Wasabi. Tear Gas has nothing on Wasabi. It's Tear/Choke/Vomit/Rip Your Face Off gas when you're mixing that stuff.

CrimsonSerenade Mar 15, 2006 05:04 AM

Mmm...I love sushi. Probably my favorite food of all time. I'll usually eat sushi at least once a week. I like all types of sushi, and I really haven't run into I sushi that I don't like yet. Unagi (Eel) and Ebi (Shrimp) are probably my favorite.

wakarukaya Mar 15, 2006 05:43 AM

I really like Spider Rolls (soft shell crab with other stuff) after having it at this one Japanese restaurant that I frequent. No other place compares when it comes to that one roll.

Jan Mar 15, 2006 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleo
What does this stuff taste like?

Imagine the worst thing you've ever tasted. Its only slightly better then that especially if you dislike fish as I do.

Sword Familiar Mar 15, 2006 10:11 AM

I love sushi. I used to have sushi all the time when I was in Japan. We used to go to these "kaiten zushi"(回転寿司、literally means "rotating sushi") places where you grab the sushi of your choice off of a belt conveyor. Amusing, cheap(100yen, usually 2 pieces per plate) and tasty. I especially like shrimp, preferably the shrimp tempura(ebi-ten), but I also enjoy egg(tamago yaki) and salmon a lot. I never did go to a REAL sushi joint when I was in Japan though, which I deeply regret. Guess I'll just have to go next time around, whenever that'll be. :9

nuttyturnip Mar 15, 2006 02:40 PM

There's an excellent Japanese restaurant within walking distance of my apartment that has a $10 sushi lunch buffet Monday-Saturday. They've got the usual salmon, unagi, red snapper, tuna, and shrimp, but my favorite is the crabcake (crab roll that's fried). I try to make it up there once a month.

Jiraiya Mar 15, 2006 04:09 PM

I've tasted sushi before and it was not too shabby. Im pretty sure it was tuna, I've filleted/cut up tuna and salmon so I basically know what each looks like. But with a little soy sauce it was alright. Not something I could eat a lot though. Now, whats the difference between sushi and shashimi? If there is any, I could google it but Id rather find out here.

Megalith Mar 16, 2006 12:57 AM

Sushi is raw fish with rice.

Sometimes I even eat it for dinner.

kat Mar 16, 2006 01:27 AM

Northern California has awesome sushi. One of the places I like going is Sushi House in Alameda and Nagano in Richmond District of San Francisco. The Chef's Special Roll at Nagano is awesome, it's a tempura shrimp roll with slices of various sashimi on top.

I love salmon sashimi as well. Unagi is good too.

T0X1Qu3 Mar 16, 2006 04:57 AM

I love sushi

My stepmom raised me since I was 6 and she was asian so we grew up on asian food.

I usually go to Sushi Man or Aloha Sushi for some crab or tuna rolls... maybe some shinko or ume maki. Sometimes, I go for unagi in my sushi but if I dont know whats in there, I can eat anything @_@

nanstey Mar 16, 2006 09:19 AM

I love sushi too, but the nly time I get to eat it is when I go to Springfield MO. Sounds strange, i know, but the thing is, my uncle who lives there is the only relative I have that has any appreciation for the stuff, and he's a pharmacutical rep (as in he can actually afford it.) And there are good sushi bars there, despite it being so far inland. I'd LOVE to go to one on the coasts, though, or even one in JAPAN...

Minion Mar 16, 2006 10:19 AM

I'm not a huge sushi fan, but I'll eat sashimi for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's the only thing I want when I'm sick, besides soup. I'm more of a fish person than most people, though. I actually enjoy eating sardines out of the can.

It's a shame most Americans have absolutely no fish in their diets. There's a ton of nutrition in fish you're not going to get anywhere else. Lack of fish is probably one of the many causes of the health problem in this country.

I poked it and it made a sad sound Mar 16, 2006 10:49 AM

I'm a big fan of sushi, but sadly, I don't think I know too much about it. I can't tell you the name of half of the ones I pop into my mouth. And I absolutely can't stand ginger and wasabi. *SHIVER* Gross.

I have a question, though. Can Americans make sushi at home with some skill, or should it only be left to professionals? (Due to the raw fish involved)

How dangerous IS sushi to make on your own? Can you even do it?

I fucking love the rice, too. I wonder if a person can buy a rice steamer to get rice balls and shit.

Minion Mar 16, 2006 10:56 AM

I don't think it takes all that much effort. You're not eating blowfish.

I poked it and it made a sad sound Mar 16, 2006 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minion
I don't think it takes all that much effort. You're not eating blowfish.

So why don't more Americans do it? I mean, it seems like a LOT of people would enjoy it here, don't you think? I've never heard of anyone "preparing sushi" at home for dinner.

Maybe its because I live in New England? I mean, we have lots of SEAFOOD here. But man. I want to see some people turn sushi into an American art. ;_;