Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Political Palace (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Use of the word 'retard' wrong in general, for some... (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39839)

Bradylama Feb 7, 2010 01:46 PM

Use of the word 'retard' wrong in general, for some...

Palin's campaign against the "R-word" hits snag with Limbaugh - Yahoo! News
Quote:

Sarah Palin's campaign against the derogatory usage of the word "retard" collided with her campaign to maintain her popularity with conservatives today, with confusing results.

A Palin spokeswoman seemed to back away from earlier criticism of conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh. Yesterday, when asked for comment on Limbaugh's use of the "r" word in a recent broadcast, Palin spokeswoman told Greg Sargent of the Washington Post, "Governor Palin believes crude and demeaning name-calling at the expense of others is disrespectful." Today, Stapleton claims the statement was meant generally and she was not specifically referring to Limbaugh. Still, she declined to say that Palin believes Limbaugh's statements were acceptable. Sargent reprinted the email he sent Stapleton in which he specifically asked about Limbaugh's statement.

Palin's non-rebuke rebuke of Limbaugh comes after she called on President Obama, earlier in the week, to fire his chief of staff after using the word. According to the Wall Street Journal, Rahm Emanuel called liberal activists who wanted to run ads against conservative Democrats "f------ retarded" in a closed-door meeting at the White House. On her Facebook page, Palin likened Emanuel's "slur on all God's children with cognitive and developmental disabilities" to using the "N-word," something she deemed "unacceptable" and "heartbreaking." Emanuel later issued an apology to Special Olympics chairman and CEO Tim Shriver.

However, Palin's conservative cohort Rush Limbaugh took offense to people, presumably including Palin, protesting Emanuel's remark. On his radio show, Limbaugh lamented that "our political correct society is acting like some giant insult's taken place by calling a bunch of people who are retards, retards." That comment caused Greg Sargent to request a reaction from Palin's spokeswoman. It also caused confusion over whether Palin believes Limbaugh's public statements - like Emanuel's private ones - crossed the line.

One person who is not letting Limbaugh off the hook is Special Olympics CEO Tim Shriver. Shriver's campaign against the "r" word is the reason Emanuel issued an apology when the controversy initially broke out...
While use of the word "retard" won't fade out of use as a pejorative in the common vernacular anytime soon, it's important for public figures to be an example and avoid its usage. Rahm Emanuel's apology is an acknowledgment of that fact.

It's no surprise that Palin and her staff are willing to play politics with Limbaugh after constantly using Trig as a political prop.

Bradylama Feb 7, 2010 02:32 PM

She will be our president.

Dopefish Feb 7, 2010 04:40 PM

If Sarah Palin aligns herself with the Tea Party (that is, if they actually become organized enough to become a legitimate third party) she will NEVER become President. That whole 270 electoral vote thing, you know. Hard to split 538 votes among three candidates (Republican, Democrat and Tea Party).

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss Feb 7, 2010 04:47 PM

You know Dope, there are literally hundreds of countries in the world that can reasonably be said to have more than two major political parties.

Worm Feb 7, 2010 04:52 PM

But how many of them have an electoral system like the United States'?

Bradylama Feb 7, 2010 04:55 PM

The point is I made a joke and Dope was being typically banal.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon Feb 7, 2010 05:02 PM

The word retard bothers me, as it's rather meaningless until we define the verb "to tard" and then establish that it can be a repeatable action. What exactly is a retard that it's been done at least twice over?

I have a similar problem with the word "remarkable."

Worm Feb 7, 2010 05:07 PM

You're a wordsmithy kind of guy, so if you're making a joke, it's a bad one.

(etymology)

Re- does not always mean "again."

Sarag Feb 7, 2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shin (Post 743789)
You know Dope, there are literally hundreds of countries in the world that can reasonably be said to have more than two major political parties.

The most successful third party this country ever had in terms of presidential elections was the Bull-Moose Party, which came in second place in 1916 with their nominee Teddy Roosevelt, who while popular was also the incumbent president.

The only thing dumber than catering to anti-tax retards is being afraid of them.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss Feb 7, 2010 05:48 PM

I know you guys have basically always had two parties but that doesn't mean you always will. You've only had your own government for a couple of hundred years, it takes every country a while to come up with a sensible system, you'll get there eventually.

Sarag Feb 7, 2010 05:54 PM

Not sure which is sadder here, equating developing a long-lasting political party to an aging person's need to settle down, or suggesting that Palin is the impetus to do just that.

Bradylama Feb 7, 2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a lurker (Post 743798)
The most successful third party this country ever had in terms of presidential elections was the Bull-Moose Party, which came in second place in 1916 with their nominee Teddy Roosevelt, who while popular was also the incumbent president.

You have to be holding the office to be an incumbent.

Additional Spam:
great posters say dumb things, thread lives up to its namesake

Gechmir Feb 7, 2010 06:29 PM

Bull Moose WILL RETURN :argh:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...bull-moose.jpg

Sarag Feb 7, 2010 06:29 PM

lol I saw the wrong dates in wikipedia sorry

guess I got caught out as being stupid :( t shin 2012 is coming.......

Max POWER Feb 7, 2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a lurker (Post 743814)
lol I saw the wrong dates in wikipedia sorry

guess I got caught out as being stupid :(

You need to get your think on :tpg:

It's pretty entertaining to watch the fringe right jump through hoops just to make sure they don't divide their followers. As this happened a few days ago, I'm not sure if Palin herself has addressed Limbaugh's comments, but I'd be surprised if she did. Come on, stick to your guns; prominent progressives argue and disagree all the time.

Tails Feb 7, 2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Biggs (Post 743818)
You need to get your think on :tpg:

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2528/tommylee.png

RacinReaver Feb 8, 2010 01:04 PM

Maybe tard can become the new nigga.

nuttyturnip Feb 8, 2010 01:29 PM

That's doubly bad for retarded niggas.

Zephyrin Feb 11, 2010 07:12 PM

And here I thought niggas were inherently retarded.