Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Video Gaming (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   [Attention] New Pokemon tournament - gauging interest (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36195)

Final Fantasy Phoneteen Feb 1, 2009 12:47 PM

New Pokemon tournament - gauging interest

Hey, gang.

It's been almost half a year since the last tournament quietly fell into oblivion, and I was curious if anybody had any interest in participating a new one. I figure now's a good time to ask since Platinum is looming on the horizon, and everyone burned out on the debates from the last tournament planning might be ready to go.

Since the first was such a success, we could possibly do the Gym-style Tournament again. I wouldn't mind retrying it with a different team!

Anyone interested?

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon Feb 1, 2009 12:56 PM

I could give it a shot. I don't have a ton occupying my days at the moment.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen Feb 1, 2009 01:04 PM

Yeah, and since it's the beginning of the semester for college students, they aren't really hunkering down or freaking out quite yet.

NinjaguyDan Feb 1, 2009 02:42 PM

I'm up for it

Chaotic Feb 1, 2009 08:08 PM

I'm always up for a tournament.

I could use another type themed team again... Just as long as it isn't Dark again.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon Feb 1, 2009 08:16 PM

If we do the Gym theme again, it'd be nice to see some of the other types represented, ones that weren't seen the last time.

Plus, we now know that Psychic and Dragons are quite strong in the format so perhaps they could be left out for balance's sake.

Chaotic Feb 1, 2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash Landon (Post 678303)
If we do the Gym theme again, it'd be nice to see some of the other types represented, ones that weren't seen the last time.

Plus, we now know that Psychic and Dragons are quite strong in the format so perhaps they could be left out for balance's sake.

Think it's a good idea to leave the Elite 4 types out from the last tournament? Or just those two?

Scent of a Grundle Feb 1, 2009 08:27 PM

I wouldn't mind joining in, but...

a) My pokemon are still only around level 55 or so
b) I can't seem to get WiFi here :(

Chaotic Feb 1, 2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye (Post 678305)
I wouldn't mind joining in, but...

a) My pokemon are still only around level 55 or so
b) I can't seem to get WiFi here :(

a) Online play, you could boost your level up to 100 to even everything out and make it fair and stuff, so no worries there.
b) Have you tried those Wireless Adapters for the DS?

Scent of a Grundle Feb 1, 2009 08:42 PM

a) didn't know that. cool.
b) unfortunately, it's a matter of the firewall here, we can't really do any online gaming

Identity Crisis Feb 1, 2009 08:51 PM

I'd still be down for this sort of thing. If we go forward with this, how would we select our types? Would it be essentially random again?

EDIT: Also, regarding the banning of Dragons and Psychics, are they going to be banned as a type theme or just can't be used regardless? I ask because my Salamence could still be used if I were to be given the Flying type and only the Dragon type theme was banned.

Kairyu Feb 1, 2009 08:55 PM

I haven't played the game since the last tournament but I am up for it. Luckily I'm not THAT busy so I have no excuses to drop out or anything. Just don't expect me to play at 1am.

(I'll go tell Icy the bad news about the possible no-dragon type rule :tpg:.)

edit: The hell, too slow.

Chaotic Feb 1, 2009 08:55 PM

Well, how I'm guessing, no Type-1 Dragons allowed. o__o

I don't mean to derail the thread or anything, but is anyone else getting Platinum upon release?

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon Feb 1, 2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaotic (Post 678304)
Think it's a good idea to leave the Elite 4 types out from the last tournament? Or just those two?

Speaking from the experience learned in the first tournament, we know that I.C. and I were both difficult to beat and that we even had trouble beating each other. I'd say that the two types are fairly matched in this format, and are stronger than the rest, or at least the ones we had represented.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen Feb 1, 2009 10:47 PM

In the end, it really depends. Water is also a very powerful typing, but it just didn't happen to show up. I say we just ban the previous top three's types from the last time. Yes, the skill of the trainer plays a huge role, but it makes things simpler than trying to decide what types are too strong. I'm all for having as little debate as possible, since it really bogged down Tournament 2 a while back.

In any case, if I were to run the show, I'd probably have the types drafted in the same format (the post after yours decides your type) or something similar (each person decides their destiny by picking their own number). If someone ended up with the same type they used in the previous tournament, then they would simply draft again.

EDIT: We have about five or six people here who can play, so that's about enough for the bare minimum. You guys know some people you can convince, right? I'd say it's worth a shot.

EDIT2: Actually, does anyone know who the top three were? Icy, Crash, and Josiah? Not necessarily in that order, but I'm trying to figure out what types would be removed.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon Feb 2, 2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Identity Crisis (Post 678312)
EDIT: Also, regarding the banning of Dragons and Psychics, are they going to be banned as a type theme or just can't be used regardless? I ask because my Salamence could still be used if I were to be given the Flying type and only the Dragon type theme was banned.

In all objectivity, IC, fuck Steven.

In all fairness, I am also aware that my Starmie, Procyon, can go fuck itself, too.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen Feb 2, 2009 07:45 PM

Well, now everyone has a chance to see one of those powerhouses.

I figure this would be a good time to ask... do you guys want to announce who's what type after registration closes (like last time)? I'm assuming most everyone does, but I want to make sure.

NinjaguyDan Feb 2, 2009 07:53 PM

Does it make a difference if no one can really pick? I guess I'd go for the after all the same.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon Feb 2, 2009 07:58 PM

Most people openly announced their types as soon as they learned it last time. After all, once it's determined, it doesn't matter when others find out or how; nothing will change who has what. I'm just as willing to announce it myself as I am to wait for a spoiler.

NinjaGuyDan: There's an official sign-up thread now too, in case you didn't see it. If you sign up, I can find out what type I get and can go about planning sooner. I've got a four hour drive ahead of me tomorrow and need something to think about along the way.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen Feb 2, 2009 07:59 PM

I'm not sure what you're saying, Dan. What I'm asking is related to whether or not people want to be able to know what they're going up against when they play a match against someone.

Crash, I'll ChocoDecide your number tonight if no one joins.