Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Video Gaming (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   [General Discussion] So you thought Australia were oppressive when it came to vidya violence? (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40158)

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss Mar 20, 2010 08:28 AM

So you thought Australia were oppressive when it came to vidya violence?

In a move that will probably have repercussions for nobody except possibly Germany, Switzerland have moved to put in place legislation that makes the PEGI system mandatory and at the same time bans the sale of anything rated 16+ or 18+. Of course it's not actually law yet but in the country where straying a couple of miles an hour over the hilariously slow speed limit can net you a driving ban and gun ownership is mandatory, the combination of nanny state and easy access to the tools needed for a US-style kid-slaying rampage suggest it'll get passed.

Quote:

The motion allows for a ban on the “manufacture, touting, importation, sale and distribution of game program... in which cruel acts of violence against humans and human-like creatures” occurs.
So if anyone here lives in Switzerland, they'd best stock up on vidya nasties now...

Firefly Mar 20, 2010 12:22 PM

What we have here, as I see it, is a failure of logic. How else do you on the one hand recognize that there are games suitable for a mature audience, then on the other hand tell said audience 'no, you can't buy these'? I imagine that the very premise would come across as insulting to most adults...

No. Hard Pass. Mar 20, 2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefly (Post 748847)
What we have here, as I see it, is a failure of logic. How else do you on the one hand recognize that there are games suitable for a mature audience, then on the other hand tell said audience 'no, you can't buy these'? I imagine that the very premise would come across as insulting to most adults...

Not really a lack of logic, as such. Think of it more as "here's the rating system we're going to use to enforce this ban."

DarkMageOzzie Mar 20, 2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefly (Post 748847)

Seems to me it must stem from the complete unwillingness to believe that video games could ever be intended for anyone but children. I remember seeing idiots on the news who were insisting Mass Effect needed an AO rating because "Grown ups won't be playing game, let's stop kidding ourselves!".

Firefly Mar 22, 2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkMageOzzie (Post 748886)
Seems to me it must stem from the complete unwillingness to believe that video games could ever be intended for anyone but children...

Yes, thank you; that's it exactly. Some folks' ability to ignore the actual composition of the 'gamer demographic' is quite astounding, no?

Kolba Mar 22, 2010 09:08 PM

YouTube Video

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss Mar 23, 2010 06:45 AM

I fucking hate Titchmarsh. That interview was almost frighteningly biased from the start, but then that show goes out in the early afternoon so most people watching would be either retired or the very small amount of stay at home parents who'd not find anything better on than that. I'm surprised by Kelvin Mackenzie's stance though, he's normally first onboard for a bit of villification.

Kolba Mar 23, 2010 08:55 AM

It's like Daily Mail - The Show.