Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Board Support (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Ability to post anonymously (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41450)

Shorty Aug 13, 2010 12:21 PM

Ability to post anonymously

Requesting this feature for TQP.

I believe a lot of helpful and sound advise can come out of TQP, however, I also believe some details are "need not be known." More specifically, I think we all have those problems that we don't want to admit openly to others who know us well, but would still like to talk about it.

Thoughts? :)

Philia Aug 13, 2010 01:09 PM

Interesting but no. If you cannot take advice, why would they bother? What that forum needs is that every april's fools joke implemented. Including the one most recently. Albeit no one there would post much lol but definitely would make things interesting. :D

nuttyturnip Aug 13, 2010 01:15 PM

We've talked about this before. For those of us with siblings/relatives/friends IRL who also post here, the desire for anonymous posting is understandable. That said, I don't think we've had many serious posts in the Quiet Place recently. GFF is not the place to come for advice on that sort of thing.

The unmovable stubborn Aug 13, 2010 01:48 PM

Beside all that, anonymity would depend on the staff (and their ability to IP-check every post) being mature and responsible folks who would never divulge sensitive information for the sake of a cheap laugh.

So.

Sarag Aug 13, 2010 01:57 PM

If I had family that came here I would ask Styphon to ban them before they were even done writing their first post.

No. Hard Pass. Aug 13, 2010 03:08 PM

TQP is notorious for being mean to people, but that's because they ask idiotic questions. If someone has a real problem, the advice is usually fairly sound.

The issue is the people who use it tend to be named CloudSquall183 and wonder why girls don't just like nice guys.

Shorty Aug 13, 2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_lurker (Post 766144)
If I had family that came here I would ask Styphon to ban them before they were even done writing their first post.

How would you know they made an account? :???:

Anyhow, if I had issues about family I know my sister would know what crap I'm talking about even if my name wasn't here, so that I wouldn't be concerned about.

:shrugs: oh well. :rolleyes:

Wall Feces Aug 13, 2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denicalis (Post 766146)
why girls don't just like nice guys.

Yeah what's up with that anyway?

Angel of Light Aug 13, 2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denicalis (Post 766146)
TQP is notorious for being mean to people, but that's because they ask idiotic questions. If someone has a real problem, the advice is usually fairly sound.

I'll agree with that sentiment. The Quiet Place is only mean to people if you act like an idiot, but I've posted two problems in TQP and got pretty good advice out of it.

Look somebody on GFF, a long time ago said a great quote. If you act like an idiot you get treated like an idiot. I personally think the people in TQP that act like idiots are people that want to hear the answers they want to hear or have things sugar coated for them.

You know in all honesty, if I want advice I want honest advice. I don't want things sugar coated, and if your willing to accept a bit of constructive criticism you can actually get some good answers out of some of the people here. Just don't expect sympathy because people are going to tell you the hard truth about things whether you like it or not.

In terms of anonymous posting, in all depends on what the situation and what information do you like sharing. For the most part we all get along because we are a community and a lot of times one of us is more than welcome to offer somebody a helping hand.

Shorty Aug 13, 2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel Of Light (Post 766151)
You know in all honesty, if I want advice I want honest advice. I don't want things sugar coated, and if your willing to accept a bit of constructive criticism you can actually get some good answers out of some of the people here. Just don't expect sympathy because people are going to tell you the hard truth about things whether you like it or not.

In terms of anonymous posting, in all depends on what the situation and what information do you like sharing. For the most part we all get along because we are a community and a lot of times one of us is more than welcome to offer somebody a helping hand.

Exactly, I agree with you there. I trust the community of GFF that for the most part, the people I trust for advice always have very good advice.

But as you say, some private things that I'd like to hash out and get some opinions on, I may not be comfortable sharing. Or maybe some facts that I don't want associated with my name/face, that sort of thing.

Zergrinch Aug 13, 2010 06:21 PM

Enabling anonymous posting on TQP would, in most probability, turn it into an even crueler place.

Philia Aug 13, 2010 06:47 PM

Alright.

There's another reason why there shouldn't be any anonymity. Without using stereotypes but tradition/religions play a huge factor into what's a good advice given. So without giving the proper history (like always, we always ask for confirmation/clarification/follow-up from the poster), it'd be pointless to give a baseless opinion/advice on something so little to go on. :\

And secondly, I had seen another forum using another neat workaround on this. There was an email address for everyone to be able to email to and a prominent poster would read these emails outloud. And even paraphrased upon request if it was too obvious.

But these emails and their contents are very dubious at best though. This is worth a shot for any old poster, however, you'd make yourself known if you appear yourself and be obviously reading the thread (and not giving advice for an example) and suddenly giving follow-up sooner than later lol.

However, this prominent poster could just email back the replies to secure the identity of the sender. So really, that's a lot of work for this one trusting poster to do for the forum if you ask me. Not even counting the fact he/she may have to deal with impatient idiots who couldn't accept those replies as an end all answer and wanted to retort instead lmao. That'd just opening him/her up to the fire for that silly sender's requests and accusations.

But yeah, that's an idea right now.

wvlfpvp Aug 13, 2010 06:49 PM

So you're essentially asking to turn TQP into 4chan?

I don't see a problem with this.

Little Brenty Brent Brent Aug 13, 2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philia (Post 766162)
Let's have Dramatic Readings of Advice Emails Thread

SOUNDS GOOD.

Philia Aug 13, 2010 06:58 PM

LMAO you're serious.

Well, let me make an gmail account or something. But I suppose I'm asking if should I be the one to do this?

Shorty Aug 13, 2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philia (Post 766162)
Alright.

There's another reason why there shouldn't be any anonymity. Without using stereotypes but tradition/religions play a huge factor into what's a good advice given. So without giving the proper history (like always, we always ask for confirmation/clarification/follow-up from the poster), it'd be pointless to give a baseless opinion/advice on something so little to go on. :\

And secondly, I had seen another forum using another neat workaround on this. There was an email address

You lost me right about there. It's alright, I'm not gonna push it. I know there's more harm than good in doing so. :tpg:

Philia Aug 13, 2010 07:06 PM

The email was a way for lets say me to NOT know who the poster/sender was. PMs lol no.

Anyway, I wasn't that serious about implementing it because honestly, I thought the journals were already doing this.

Little Brenty Brent Brent Aug 13, 2010 07:22 PM

I will totally read people's angsty emails and record mp3s for the forums. I'm not sure I can do it without laughing though so you may want to find someone else.

Shorty Aug 13, 2010 07:29 PM

it's cool, Philia. No worries~. Though the email thing is hilarious. :p

nuttyturnip Aug 13, 2010 07:29 PM

I'll set them to Lincoln Park and play them on the radio.

value tart Aug 30, 2010 08:10 PM

It's spelled Linkin