Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Help Desk (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Looking for easy to use game creating software (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6669)

dancin mad May 29, 2006 07:37 PM

Looking for easy to use game creating software

I was wondering if anyone could help me find a good software for game creating that is EASY to use. (or fairly easy anyways.) I've been looking around on Google for some time, but I'm not really sure which program seems the best. I'd like something with both a 2D and 3D engine that can basically create any genre of game. If anyone has any recommendations, you're advice would be very much appreciated!:biggrin:

BlueMikey May 29, 2006 09:29 PM

About the only software I've ever heard of as being successful at helping people make games is RPG Maker. I don't know of any sort of thing that would allow you to make any genre as it would be incredibly hard, especially in 3D.

Basically, if you want to do a FPS, you just make a mod for the engine you like.

What other types of games are you wishing to make other than FPSs or RPGs?

Lukage May 29, 2006 09:56 PM

I heard they're looking for amatuer computer kiddies to write the next FPS by Atari for the Unreal series.

I think they got their latest engine off download.com through Google. :\

If you don't know what software you're looking for, chances are you don't know WTF you're thinking about doing.

Magic May 29, 2006 10:58 PM

Define "easy to use".

Lukage May 29, 2006 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic
Define "easy to use".

Krazy Taco and I decided you just type in "Make graphics good" and it spurts out a line:

*Putting Oblivion to Shame* -done-

KrazyTaco May 29, 2006 11:41 PM

Your asking the wrong question dancin mad. What you want to know is not how to make a game, but how to NOT create a game and still have it be better than all current games. It's all in the marketing. If you can get people to believe your game will be SUPER AWESOME, then nothing can stop you. Just look at Duke Nukem Forever, never released and yet it is popular, far more popular than any other game out there.

YeOldeButchere May 29, 2006 11:49 PM

All joking aside, there's no such thing as "game creating software", other than RPG maker. Well, there might be, but let's just say it'll be limited. If you want to do 3D stuff, or even 2D stuff beyond what you can do with RPG maker, you'll need to learn to program. And, unfortunately for you, that doesn't merely mean learning the syntax for a programming language, ideally C++ (ok, I'm going to get crucified by a bunch of people if I just leave it at that, so let's say Java is also suitable, as well as a few other languages). Once you're good with whatever language you've chosen, you need to learn how to actually interface with your OS, various libraries such as OpenGL or, if you're making a mod, the engine you've chosen. Then I suppose you can start trying to do whatever it is you want.

Get started now and you might be able to do something nice in a few years.

RacinReaver May 30, 2006 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrazyTaco
Your asking the wrong question dancin mad. What you want to know is not how to make a game, but how to NOT create a game and still have it be better than all current games. It's all in the marketing. If you can get people to believe your game will be SUPER AWESOME, then nothing can stop you. Just look at Duke Nukem Forever, never released and yet it is popular, far more popular than any other game out there.

He could make Daikatana 2. ;_;

Magic May 30, 2006 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YeOldeButchere
All joking aside, there's no such thing as "game creating software", other than RPG maker.

And Game Maker

YeOldeButchere May 30, 2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YeOldeButchere
All joking aside, there's no such thing as "game creating software", other than RPG maker. Well, there might be, but let's just say it'll be limited.

What does the bold part say?

dancin mad May 30, 2006 07:50 PM

I was expecting that anything out there that doesn't need programing knowledge would certainly be limited. I was just wondering what some of the best options would be. As for now, I'll try out RPG Maker and Game Maker, but I won't get my hopes up too much.