Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Media Centre (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   .Hack roots, and .hack GU relation? (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19618)

tlrunions Mar 4, 2007 05:49 PM

.Hack roots, and .hack GU relation?

Hello,
I was just curious to know how the new .hack anime related to the .hack GU games. Do they take place before after or during the anime I just need to know so I do them in order. Thanks for the info.
Teresa,

The Plane Is A Tiger Mar 4, 2007 06:12 PM

The short answer is that Roots takes place directly before GU, but that's not exactly true. GU begins with Haseo starting out in The World and going on his first quest with two players who end up killing him. Ovan shows up, revives him, and then it skips several months into the future. Roots begins with Ovan reviving him and covers those several months, plus a little bit into the beginning of the first game.

However, a lot of stuff in Roots, especially towards the end when it goes beyond that skipped period, contradicts what happens in the game. The only one that's a real problem is the identities of Pi and Yatta. The show and game don't mesh nearly as well as Sign and the original games did.

Honestly, even as a huge .Hack fan I thought Roots sucked. There were a few good episodes around the middle, but overall it was one big time filler and aside from what happens around ep. 13-14 it only serves to confuse things in GU.

goldenknuckles Mar 11, 2007 08:17 PM

I haven't played .hack Gu or seen roots. I did truly love sign and the games that went with it. I heard that the music in GU was really good. Is that true?

Cirno Mar 12, 2007 02:20 AM

The soundtrack for .hack//GU Vol. 1 is decent, but most of the tracks aren't very memorable. The Final Boss battle theme is the same that you hear in one of the trailers and the cutscene with Tri-Edge at the beginning of the game.

I found .hack//Roots to be very, very boring. Honestly, just skip the anime series and head right into the games. You'll figure everything you need to know from there and, if necessary, through message boards online (try dothackers.net).

eriol33 Apr 7, 2008 08:43 PM

sorry for the bump, but I'm always wondering, is it necessary watching roots to understand what happens in G.U.? I'm on my way to playing the vol.3 and honestly I kinda lost my interest to continue more. Also, I'm impressed by the english dub quality.

The Plane Is A Tiger Apr 7, 2008 08:51 PM

As I said a year ago, no. Most of Roots feels like little more than filler, and even contradicts GU on several points. I said before that the middle of Roots was semi-important at least, but even that's a little different from how the games say things happened. Unless you want to watch the Twilight Brigade frolick/be emo then you can skip it.

eriol33 Apr 7, 2008 09:02 PM

seeing your comments, I think I got the picture, seems like I will skip the series till I finish G.U. oh well.