Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Video Gaming (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   [Question] Game Collection Databases (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38256)

Yushiro Jul 28, 2009 07:33 PM

Game Collection Databases

So, does anyone know of a good game collection site? IGN's used to be excellent over 5 years ago, but then they pretty much ruined it. I'm looking for something really easy to use like DVD Aficionado, where you can just search one string and end up with multiple results and the ability to add multiple games to your collection all at once, just like DVD Aficionado does. The problem with every current Collections site I've seen these days is you can pretty much only add 1 game at a time, which, if you're like me and have nearly 1000 games, is pretty much just a huge pain in the ass (sorry Backloggery).

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor Jul 28, 2009 09:53 PM

Collection Database Software for Windows and Mac OS X: catalog your inventory of CDs, DVDs, books, games, etc..

BlindMonk Jul 28, 2009 09:58 PM

I used an older version of a few of those Collectorz apps and I was very pleased with internet integration and ease of use.

Yushiro Jul 29, 2009 02:26 AM

I probably should've thrown "free" into the description as well. =p

I had read about that Collectorz scanner software before, and similar programs, but I'm really not willing to shell out $70+ for it.

Ugh, why did IGN have to screw up their database so bad, it used to be absolutely perfect.

map car man words telling me to do things Jul 29, 2009 02:41 AM

The "new" IGN layout was a disaster when it came out and it still is. I can't believe they haven't fixed it. Takes ages to load, is cumbersome and unreliable to use. Because the pages, both the main collection and the searches, take so long to load, you're bound to click the next available button as soon as possible (especially because adding a game is such an arduous process), often leading your browser to literally fall between pages with a blank screen and nothing to do but to go back and start the whole thing over.

The old layout, with a game search at the top and the bottom was a lot more friendly (not to mention the old site was so much faster to load). Sure, it's "only" two or three additional clicks, but when you need to add multiple games, and every extra click means an extra minute or so of page loading, it can quickly get infuriating.

I still use IGN when I have the patience because I already have most my games listed there, it allows me to grade them, and it'll give me a value and breakdown by console if needed. I just noticed I'm often behind on updating it because it's such a chore.

Yushiro Jul 29, 2009 10:11 AM

My sentiments exactly, Qwarky. I also liked the streamlined look to the old format. It was organized, easy to browse, and had all useful information presented conveniently. It didn't have the game Covers, but those just space the table out too much anyway.

MalkHead Jul 30, 2009 01:05 PM

I think raptr.com is what you need.

Yushiro Jul 30, 2009 03:04 PM

Excellent find, sir. This is probably the best I'm gonna do. Thanks.