Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Media Centre (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   [Movie] "The Walking Dead" -- Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Series on AMC (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41499)

Gechmir Aug 26, 2010 04:40 AM

"The Walking Dead" -- Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Series on AMC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denicalis
MAKE A FUCKING THREAD.

So yeah, AMC is getting tons of fucking awesome shows. As if Breaking Bad & Mad Men weren't enough, they're now getting The Walking Dead (trailer included in link).

Based on a comic book series, the series is about a police officer who gets wounded in the line of duty. He apparently ends up in a coma, and wakes up once the world has been torn apart by some sort of zombie apocalypse (rumored on the trailer to be caused by a virus). Some folks may get a 28 Days Later vibe from this opening, but 28 Days Later actually borrowed this from the Walking Dead's comic itself. You might say "uh a zombie series on TV? Going to suck being low on violence and all". Well, AMC apparently told the awesome creators that they don't care about how much gore there is, just as long as cursing is kept under control. o FCC u.

I could ramble on, but the trailer in the link will do it more justice than I could ever put in to words :V 90 minute premiere on Halloween, so set up your DVR or something if you plan on heading out.
YouTube Video
Quote:

MAKE A FUCKING THREAD.

No. Hard Pass. Aug 26, 2010 04:59 AM

Thank you, Gech. Welcome to the boards. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

I, for one, am looking forward to this, albeit with a little hesitation. The comic is really on and off for me, but as you said, AMC has had some good stuff lately. Here's hoping this turns out well.

Gechmir Aug 26, 2010 05:07 AM

actually I'm just here for an FFVII soundtrack can you help me out

No. Hard Pass. Aug 26, 2010 05:28 AM

y is ur img a dick?

Ramenbetsu Aug 26, 2010 04:38 PM

Everyone I've tried to get into the comic hates it because it's too violent. Iwata bitched about it when I made him read it a couple years ago too.

No. Hard Pass. Aug 26, 2010 06:03 PM

My issue is how far off rails it goes from time to time. Suddenly African ninja girl. Suddenly completely unnecessary rape sequence. Suddenly etc.

I think ideas run out, he panics, and just throws cliches on paper. But then other times, really solid writing.

NewNick Aug 26, 2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denicalis (Post 767319)
My issue is how far off rails it goes from time to time. Suddenly African ninja girl. Suddenly completely unnecessary rape sequence. Suddenly etc.

I think ideas run out, he panics, and just throws cliches on paper. But then other times, really solid writing.

I really like Michonne as a character and from where I left off (Volume 6, I believe) it seemed like she was written in far before hand to eventually play a very important role that she's finally slipping into. She hardly seems off-track (if this is what you meant by off-rails) from the main story. The rape scene felt like an important exposition for her character. Which would make sense, if she's to be poised as an key supporting character, no?

Randi Aug 26, 2010 08:18 PM

I've never read the comic so I can't comment on the story, but I can't say that I'm particularly convinced that this is going to be even a decent show. I'm guessing it's going to suck and get cancelled within the first 10 episodes, or after the first season because of the lack of content they're going to be able to actually show due to the FCC.

Sure they say they don't care about gore right now, but I guarantee they're going to care and it's going to hold back a show like this. I can't imagine 28 days later being PG-13.

No. Hard Pass. Aug 26, 2010 08:43 PM

NewJack, I don't mean that it's forced within the confines of the narrative, more of it seems that the narrative itself is pretty forced. The problem isn't that she's built up adequately or not, it's whether the whole concept of her arc seems forced.

NewNick Aug 26, 2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randi (Post 767329)
I've never read the comic so I can't comment on the story, but I can't say that I'm particularly convinced that this is going to be even a decent show. I'm guessing it's going to suck and get cancelled within the first 10 episodes, or after the first season because of the lack of content they're going to be able to actually show due to the FCC.

Sure they say they don't care about gore right now, but I guarantee they're going to care and it's going to hold back a show like this. I can't imagine 28 days later being PG-13.

Actually, I have a hard time seeing this series remaining brutally gory for very long either. What's nice though is beyond the first season, gradually pulling back on the violence shouldn't be very detrimental, as the story itself should do it's job just nicely to keep viewers' attention.

Probably it'll be toned down for a while and they'll have a major scene once or twice a season where they'll highlight the gore of a character's death.

Quote:

NewJack, I don't mean that it's forced within the confines of the narrative, more of it seems that the narrative itself is pretty forced. The problem isn't that she's built up adequately or not, it's whether the whole concept of her arc seems forced.

Oh. Well, agree to disagree, then?

Additional Spam:
And would you prefer it if my name were NewJack? What's with that?

The Plane Is A Tiger Aug 26, 2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randi (Post 767329)

I'm willing to give AMC the benefit of the doubt on gore. Breaking Bad had that pretty nasty part in season 1 with a bathtub full of melting human remains falling through the ceiling, and you don't need much more than that to make a good zombie apocalypse.

No. Hard Pass. Aug 26, 2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewNick (Post 767335)
And would you prefer it if my name were NewJack? What's with that?

New Jack is archaic slang for anyone new and unknown.

Kyndig Sep 3, 2010 09:06 PM

I think that with some good writing it will be possible to maintain the same level of emotional tension without the same level of graphicness(notaword). Not that it really matters since I probably won't watch it. The comics are good enough for me.