Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Peter Pan Peanut Butter Salmonella Recall (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18821)

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon Feb 15, 2007 06:56 PM

Peter Pan Peanut Butter Salmonella Recall

I figured I'd post this here since peanut butter is a very common household staple and I imagine many forumgoers in North America and Canada eat "Peter Pan" brand.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252127,00.html

If the serial number on your jar begins with 2111, then your batch could be tainted with hazardous salmonella bacteria. Unfortunately, I happen to possess one of these jars. I purchased it Monday afternoon, one day before the recall announcement. Luckily, it's still unopened.

Most stores are offering complete refunds or free exchanges for another brand of equal size.

So if you eat Peter Pan peanut butter, you may wish to check the lid.

The Plane Is A Tiger Feb 15, 2007 07:10 PM

That's why choosy moms choose Jif.

I haven't bought a jar of peanut butter in many, many years, but the last one I did was Peter Pan brand. It's a little surprising that these infected jars have been around since August, yet a warning has just now been issued. 288 people across 38 states in 6.5 months isn't as bad as this could have been though.

acid Feb 15, 2007 07:50 PM

Having a potentially fatal peanut allergy you cannot begin to imagine the hilarity I'm finding in the idea that other people could die because of peanut butter.

I TOLD YOU IT WAS GOING TO KILL US ALL

nuttyturnip Feb 15, 2007 07:56 PM

It's the terrorists. First they go after the peanut butter, then the jelly. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Bigblah Feb 15, 2007 08:38 PM

I knew there's something fishy about Peter Pan.

Krelian Feb 15, 2007 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acid (Post 391250)
Having a potentially fatal peanut allergy you cannot begin to imagine the hilarity I'm finding in the idea that other people could die because of peanut butter.

I TOLD YOU IT WAS GOING TO KILL US ALL

I'm in the same boat right here. Why can't these side-splittingly hilarious food contaminations crop up in the UK every now and then? People need to feel MY misery for once.

I still love peanut butter, but now it's like a forbidden fruit.

rocketdog Feb 15, 2007 08:51 PM

SKIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPY (CHUNKY)

starslight Feb 15, 2007 08:51 PM

I've been eating out of one of the recalled jars all month. :psyduck:

Fleshy Fun-Bridge Feb 15, 2007 10:07 PM

Well, if you have a healthy immune system, the worst you'll experience is diarrhea, cramps, headache, and fever.

Or, your face might melt off :gonkmelt:

Shonos Feb 15, 2007 10:21 PM

Well, I shop at Albertsons so we always get the 'Great Value' brand Peanut butter. So yes, we have the one with 2111. Going to return it tomorrow. Worried though because someone in this house has already eatin out of it.

Rockgamer Feb 15, 2007 10:35 PM

We actually had two jars of this stuff, one practically empty, and one unopened. The store still gave us a full refund for both jars, though.

I've probably been the main one eating out of it, and luckily I never got sick. It's still bad to hear that I could have been, though.

Render Feb 15, 2007 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starslight (Post 391292)

owned like hell.

J-Man Feb 15, 2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketdog (Post 391291)
SKIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPY (CHUNKY)

Clearly Kraft is the best chunky on the market. There are little teddy bears on the cans.

tastes pretty good too

knkwzrd Feb 15, 2007 10:58 PM

I've never even heard of this brand of peanut butter. Is it fairly popular in the U.S.?

nuttyturnip Feb 15, 2007 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knkwzrd (Post 391389)
I've never even heard of this brand of peanut butter. Is it fairly popular in the U.S.?

Peter Pan? Yeah, it's what we used to buy when I was a kid. Too bad I don't eat peanut butter now, or maybe I'd have a lawsuit on my hands.

ArchesFan Feb 15, 2007 11:36 PM

I heard this on the local news this morning so I just put a post-it on our peanut-butter because it has that 2111 number and put, "Don't eat....has salmonella......End." I havn't eaten from it, but the rest of my family has eaten like half of it.

Parn Feb 15, 2007 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starslight (Post 391292)

Likewise. I've already eaten half the jar over the past week. Heh.

Guess I'll be picking up a jar of JIF on my run through Walmart tomorrow.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE Feb 16, 2007 01:12 AM

That name is a mouthful.

Vestin Feb 16, 2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krelian (Post 391280)
I still love peanut butter, but now it's like a forbidden fruit.

Same here with milk. I'm lactose intolerant, but I still fucking love milk.

Btw, love the sig. Arsis is amazing.

Celes Chere Feb 16, 2007 10:06 PM

I haven't really had peanut butter in quite some time, and I think the last jar my mom bought was generic brand so I think I'm safe. :)

Still good to know about though.

Parn Feb 16, 2007 10:11 PM

So, on my cruise through Walmart buying various things, I picked up a jar of crunchy JIF as planned. It happened to be one of about ten jars left on the shelf. There was no other peanut butter in sight.

Dullenplain Feb 17, 2007 03:39 AM

Ha, looks like my brand loyalty to JIF has paid off . . .

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon Feb 17, 2007 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parn (Post 392217)
So, on my cruise through Walmart buying various things, I picked up a jar of crunchy JIF as planned. It happened to be one of about ten jars left on the shelf. There was no other peanut butter in sight.

Well, yeah.

Everyone who had Peter Pan was encouraged to either return or dispose of their product. Seeing as stores were made to remove the tainted supply from shelves, customers seeking replacement jars had to buy another brand. Normally sales are steady, but a recall like this creates a surge in demand. So naturally the shelves will be bare, as most stores don't carry excesses of peanut butter in case of salmonella scares.

Supply. Demand. Basic economics here.

Incidentally, this was a very good time to own stock in J.M. Smucker, the company that makes Jif and several lesser-known peanut butter brands. The swell in demand created an unexpected profit surge for Smucker's and the stock has risen significantly in the short-term. First quarter earnings should be above projections due to this event. Still, I'd sell the stock at this point, since it's not likely to remain so high once Peter Pan gets back on track.

Just saying.

Parn Feb 17, 2007 11:16 AM

Uh, thanks? I merely posted an observation on my trip through Walmart. I don't see why the "basic economics here" feedback was necessary, as if it was important to drive the point home.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE Feb 17, 2007 11:33 AM

WHAT UP PARNS YO SAMBERG WHATS CRACKIN