Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Video Gaming (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   [DS] The Dark Spire- Thought Etrian Odyssey was for pussies? Then this is probably for you (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37204)

Final Fantasy Phoneteen Apr 23, 2009 01:29 PM

The Dark Spire- Thought Etrian Odyssey was for pussies? Then this is probably for you

Please release your grip on my balls, game.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...e_us_cover.jpg

The Dark Spire was released this past week, and it makes me want to cry. Similar to Etrian Odyssey, you take the role of a blank-slate protagonist and his fellow guildmates as you try to explore a massive labyrinth located just beyond a hub-town.

Unlike Etrian Odyssey though, the game follows more traditional Dungeons & Dragons rule sets rather than the usual JRPG norms. Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic natures are determined by the spells you use and what church you pray at (as well as govern various abilities), Armor Class influences your defensive/evasive reliability, etcetera. You pick a race and class initially, but you can level other classes even after you pick your initial one.

Another really neat feature is the ability to shift between Classic and Modern visuals:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...engel/vd-c.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...engel/vd-m.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...n_565_10-1.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/Lebenengel/1.jpg

So far I'm still in the first floor of the tower, trying to grind but failing miserably. Every chest is trapped after battle, and my thief usually gets the trap order and disarming right, but sometimes fails and gets poisoned/dies.

In this case, it's often better to simply make a new character than spend the 200 gold to revive them.

So, anyone else playing? Great game, just hard. I'll expand on this thread and post when I better understand the mechanics.

Freelance Apr 23, 2009 09:24 PM

I mentioned this game in an old journal entry and didn't get many responses so hopefully this will garner more attention.

I wish I could play this game, but for some bizarro reason it has not yet been released in Canada. It keeps getting pushed back, and now it's stated it will not come out until May. It's really frustrating.

I cancelled my pre-order at EB today and ordered it through Amazon instead. Apparently they have it in stock and it was shipped out today. I should be getting it by tomorrow or early next week. Can't wait to play it. I've been anxiously waiting for this since March, the original release date >_> I reallly dig the art style in modern mode. It's very similiar to Shadowgate, and I love the gothic-y (if that's the right word to describe it) touch. While EO is good, it's refreshing to play something that isn't anime-y.

P.S. Would a warrior, warrior, thief, and priest work? What is the difference between a priest and a mage? Can priests cast black magic?

Final Fantasy Phoneteen Apr 23, 2009 09:32 PM

Mage is attack and support, Priests are mostly healing. They can cast Holy magic, but it can't really replace a Mage for dealing magic damage. You could level both Mage and Priest classes on a single character, but I doubt it's very efficient.

Freelance Apr 23, 2009 09:35 PM

Oh, I'll go with the standard Warrior, Mage, Thief, Priest then. I presume Mages would be awesome once they're at higher levels. You can save at any time, right? So I guess you should save every so often in case you get raped so you don't need to pay for reviving.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen Apr 23, 2009 09:51 PM

Yeah, you can save anywhere (and I do so often), which is really convenient. I wish Etrian Odyssey let you do that.

For now, I'm just trying to unlock Dark Elves and High Elves to see how good they are before I really start leveling my guys.

Omnislash124 Apr 24, 2009 07:25 AM

This actually looks pretty good. I'm not going to lie, I prefer the "anime-y" feel of EO over this, but anything along the lines of EO, I'm sold for.

I might pick this up whenever it drops a bit in price because I have too many games to play right now anyway.

Definitely looks interesting.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen Apr 24, 2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omnislash124 (Post 698532)
I'm not going to lie, I prefer the "anime-y" feel of EO over this, but anything along the lines of EO, I'm sold for.

Well, although the game shares some visual and basic gameplay similarities to Etrian Odyssey, it's better to think of it like Wizardry. Or maybe at the most an extremely westernized Etrian Odyssey.

Freelance Apr 24, 2009 07:54 PM

Odd...when I checked my tracking number just now, it says 'Out for Delivery' but the timestamp is in the evening...I've never ever known them to deliver anything in the evening. I'm guessing it's a typo, but anyway I didn't get the game today. I'll definitely get it Monday though.

I find it kinda funny that Dark Spire looks really westernized yet it's a Japanese game.

Update: OMG my sister had the postal slip right in her bedroom. I can pick it up tomorrow! Whoo!

Omnislash124 Apr 25, 2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB (Post 698555)
Well, although the game shares some visual and basic gameplay similarities to Etrian Odyssey, it's better to think of it like Wizardry. Or maybe at the most an extremely westernized Etrian Odyssey.

See, the issue with that is that I was told to think of Etrian Odyssey as a throwback to Wizardry back when Etrian Odyssey debuted, so all three are the same, in my eyes, right now. Granted, I've never played Wizardry, so this is a rather indirect link between the Etrian Odyssey and The Dark Spire.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen Apr 25, 2009 10:29 AM

Yeah, I remember people said Etrian Odyssey was a Wizardry clone with more JRPG influence, but that was at a time when there was Wizardry, Etrian Odyssey, and nothing else.

But now that there is more or less an established sub-genre, it's better to compare it to the original rather than a fellow off-shoot. If you get to playing the Dark Spire, you'll see there's few strong similarities between it and EO. Better to compare the latter to 7th Dragon, which takes Etrian Odyssey and easternizes it further (makes sense since it's the same guys).

Freelance Apr 25, 2009 10:30 PM

Oh oh, this game is awesome. I've played it for over four hours now. Here's my party:

Warrior dwarf level 9
ST 16 IN 12 VT 16 DX 9 CH 13
Shoten, Metal Shield, Steel Helm, Fine Platemail, Parrot Doll
Priest lvl 1

Priest human level 9
ST 14 IN 14 VT 14 DX 14 CH 11
Quarterstaff, Wooden Shield, Chainmail

Mage dark elf level 8
ST 13 IN 16 VT 12 DX 14 CH 12
Quarterstaff, Robe

Thief human level 8
ST 14 IN 14 VT 13 DX 13 CH 9
Longbow, Fine Leather. Golden Bracelet

Is it possible to reset spell points while inside the dungeon with some sort of spell?

P.S. It looks like GFF really isn't into this game.

Update: Need help with my secondary class setup? I'm planning on having a Samurai, Wizard and Druid later, but I can't decide whether to get a Ninja or a Ranger. As far as I can make out, a Ranger is like Survivalist in EO (able to run away better, lower encounter rate) while the Ninja is more of a damage dealer. Any suggestions? Can you have Ninjas in the back row or are they strictly front-line fighters?

Not that it's anything important, but I decided to make a Chaotic party with a neutral thief.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen Apr 26, 2009 11:55 PM

Ninjas I believe are front-row fighters only, but are a bit better at absorbing damage than Thieves. And personally, I wouldn't put in anyone who lowers the encounter rate further. It's pretty forgivable already.

I got some time in today, was able to deck out my Warrior pretty completely (AC of 1). Still exploring the first floor. Hard stuff.

Freelance Apr 27, 2009 08:14 PM

My warrior and priest are level 6 now and my thief and mage are now level 4. I've pretty much mapped out the entire first floor and a fair amount of the second floor. 1st floor is pretty easy now for my party to breeze through, although sometimes those human enemies can give me a hard time. I haven't even found the stairs to the third floor yet, and I'm already clocking 19 hours with the game.

I am having trouble finishing the
Spoiler:
gambling
quest on the 2nd floor. It boils down to extreme luck. Bah, and the skill doesn't really help much too. I finished two quests already.

My warrior is awesome, having an AC of -3, so he rarely gets hit.

Thanks for your suggestion, GB. I'll turn my thief into a Ninja.

I wish more people are playing this game. Looks like it's just you and me.

Omnislash124 Apr 27, 2009 09:39 PM

I'd love to play this game, but as of right now, I've got WAY too many DS games active right now. Since one of those is Disgaea DS and the queue for DS games is ridiculously long, it'll be a long time before I get started (not to mention I haven't even played EO2 yet. I did finish EO1 though.)

Freelance Apr 29, 2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omnislash124 (Post 699079)
I'd love to play this game, but as of right now, I've got WAY too many DS games active right now.)

That's why you alternate between games :D Right now I an concentrating on Dark Spire and Star Ocean II, but DS keeps 'calling' me to play it, while SOII is getting neglected. I feel bad...

So how are you doing with your adventures, GB? I mapped more of floor 2 today, and a bit of the basement (the copper coins there are killing me), and I finally finished that
Spoiler:
gambling
quest and some other little NPC quests, but I still haven't found a way to get to the third floor yet. If you've found it, can you give me a general idea where it is, ie NE, NW, etc? I don't want to know the exact coordinates.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen Apr 29, 2009 10:47 PM

The game actually got me back into Etrian Odyssey II, which I never finished, haha.

I finished up the first floor, moved on to the basement. Still debating whether or not I want to keep my Thief in the front row or just switch to the Heroic formation and let the enemies suffer the whiff-fest that is my Warrior.

I believe the entrance to the third floor is in the northeast. Can't recall exactly though, so don't hold me to it.

Freelance Apr 30, 2009 05:35 AM

I started off with Tatical formation (warrior and priest in front, mage and thief in back) but am now using Heroic formation. Wow you found the stairs to the third floor already? It must be somewhere I keep constantly missing. I'll stick with the basement for now. I haven't fully explored it yet. I still have to do that quest with the ghosts and that one where I have to find a moonlight jewel.

Y'know, I never finished EOII as wel. I can't get past a boss, and I understand it's easier if I have a hexer (I think that's what they're called), but I never bothered levelling one up >_>

My DS is most likely gonna run out of juice today so I'll be able to get some work done with SOII. Whoo hehe...

Additional Spam:
This new post will probably be merged with my last one, but IGN gave Dark Spire "Game of the Month" for April. This is awesome news, so
WHY ISN'T ANYONE PLAYING IT!

I have a nice update today. I explored more of the basement. I found a secret door but didn't explore further yet. I went back to town to save as the light was red. My entire party is set to level up soon. I finally found the way to the third floor, and it was nowhere near the NE, haha.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen May 1, 2009 10:03 AM

Haha, my bad. Like I said, I couldn't remember. I was dicking around on the second floor and almost got wiped out, so I was a little too panicked to make note of the staircase to the third when I stumbled upon it.

Surprised IGN gave it an 8 and game of the month. Didn't some good stuff come out in April? Maybe it was March.

Freelance May 1, 2009 09:00 PM

Oooh actually you were right. Last night I was on a forum and came across a post telling how to get to the third floor, and it wasn't in the NE. So I went to that place and I was 'led' to the NE where the stairs were. Haha, sorry sorry. I didn't check it out til today and didn't have access to a PC to correct my post.

I dunno about good DS games in April as this is the only I got in April XD I too am surprised about IGN's score and award.

25 hours now and I'm mapped quite a bit of the third floor. There's loads of doors there. I'm fiddling around with the generator now, and rechecking all the areas with blank spaces to see if there's secret doors I missed on. Turns out I found lots of them. I can't figure out where to complete Garland's second quest. : / I'm looking everywhere and didn't find anything yet.

Since you're obviously farther than me, mind if I ask some questions?

Okay, in the generator room...

Spoiler:

Do you put sunflower seeds in the cage? I don't want to stick them in and find out later it's supposed to be something else.

Also, my mage is now at level 8 and my priest is now at level 9 but none of them have any 'exit tower' spell yet. I know there is one, and I thought I'd get one at level 6...is it a Lawful only spell? My party except the thief is Chaotic.

Update: I accidently stumbled onto Garland's quest location and I won. Whooo! Now I must find some gold coins. Bet they're in the Basement...

Celisasu May 2, 2009 09:13 PM

I have it too. And yeah, it's hard. I enter the dungeon. Get ambushed. Watch half my party die before my first turn. At the lower levels you pretty much have to save after every fight. Goblins are easy. So are mushrooms. Humans on the other hand? Nasty. Very nasty. They seem to ambush me more often than not, score multiple hits, and are quite capable of one shotting any of my characters.

Party right now is:

Lawful Dwarf Warrior Level 2. Has high Str and Vit
Neutral Halfling Thief Level 2. Has high Dex and Cha with decent Int
Lawful Human Priest Level 2. Has high Int plus decent other stats.
Neutral Elf Wizard Level 2. Has high Int and Dex.

I'm wondering if it might be worth giving the elf a priest level as time goes on. I mean since he can't equip heavy armor for his wizard spells anyways, having some extra healing on hand for when needed might be useful.

Freelance May 3, 2009 12:53 AM

If you're having trouble, Celisasu, spam that sleep spell that mages get. It's a definite lifesaver in the early part of the game. Undead and mushrooms cannot be put to sleep though.

Also use heroic formation, maaning your warrior should be up front with everyone else in the rear. Give your warrior the best weapons, armour and accessories to lower his AC. Early enemies cannot hit anyone in the rear and it will help a lot. If you still want to give your mage a priest level though, go right ahead. I didn't, but I did give one priest level on my warrior. Another option is to have your Warrior and Priest up front while the thief and mage are in the rear. Unlike mages, priests do good up front. Give him/her armour and a flail.

Glad to see someone else playing.

Freelance May 7, 2009 10:50 PM

Well since nobody's updating their gaming session, I guess I can bump this. I'm currently on floor 4 and explored lots of it. One of the attractions there is funny.

Is there anything important I'm supposed to get in the
Spoiler:
Labyrinth
That place was hell to get through and I didn't see anything to do in there other than to get my way out.

I accidently ran right into the
Spoiler:
mid-boss
and got totally raped. My team was already low on health when I found out it wasn't a typical fight.

Everyone's now at level 10 and I'm currently preparing them for the advanced classes. Still haven't fixed the elevator yet. I need to get one more item and I have no idea where it is.

Haven't found the stairs to floor 5 yet...

Final Fantasy Phoneteen May 8, 2009 12:02 AM

Depends on what the item is. What're you missing? My hint is that everything is on the fourth floor and below.

Currently 12-13 with everyone, fiddling around on Floor 4. Elevator fixed, so I went and got the Druid class unlocked and turned my Mage into one. Still have all the others to get, ha!

Freelance May 8, 2009 05:47 AM

All I'm missing is the
Spoiler:
squirrel
I know it's on the 4th floor, and I
Spoiler:
'
freed' it from the hat
, but I don't know where it went. I explored most of the floor already so I'm running out of places to look.

I was also told to
Spoiler:
]rescue the Shrine Maiden
but I don't see how to. I can't interact with those people.

Ceft May 8, 2009 07:58 AM

I just found this game yesterday and all I could think of is EO2. I don't know if I'll actually bother to play it though, cause the style seems a little to dark for me. XD