Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [:plant:] I'm trying a silly new motivational tool (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45328)

Sarag Mar 27, 2014 09:50 PM

I'm trying a silly new motivational tool

Like the rest of the internet, I have trouble getting various tasks done, so I decided to make a to-do list every day. Each list contains one item, and it's taped over the power button on my computer. The idea is that I can't internet until the task is done.

What sort of motivational tools do you guys use? Is it working out?

THIEF Mar 27, 2014 09:51 PM

I don't let myself play video games until I get all my work done.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor Mar 28, 2014 12:44 AM

...you turn your computer off?

Tails Mar 28, 2014 04:06 AM

It's all about self-discipline and willpower, yo.

I keep a whiteboard in my room that I use to spread the shit I need done out over the course of the week (It's basically just a big weekly planner), then I just knock it out whenever I've got free time before moving on to games and shit.

coeccias Mar 28, 2014 11:38 PM

Most often whether or not I perform an action is not based on how much I do or do not want to perform the action but rather how the performance of the action and the desired outcome will lend itself to creating a better self or better life.

When I think along those lines and take into consideration multiple time scales, inaction is generally more detrimental than the difficulties I could face while performing the action.

Sarag Mar 29, 2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coeccias (Post 819822)
Most often whether or not I perform an action is not based on how much I do or do not want to perform the action but rather how the performance of the action and the desired outcome will lend itself to creating a better self or better life.

When I think along those lines and take into consideration multiple time scales, inaction is generally more detrimental than the difficulties I could face while performing the action.

How successful has this been for you? I'm pretty sure everybody agrees that procrastinating doesn't do shit for you, but it still happens; do you still find yourself dragging your ass along in order to make your life better, or is it sort of an automatic thing?

coeccias Mar 29, 2014 09:54 PM

I think it has been successful as part of a strategy where I think in a manner that benefits my overall life. I choose to reinforce good habits. I make decisions that are not counterproductive to the goals I set for myself.

I don't drag my ass when it comes to making a better life. I don't always move at the pace that I would like, but I think that has more to do with my ability to make the changes that I believe are necessary to obtain a better life rather than my eagerness to move in an alternative direction.

heofian Oct 31, 2014 10:09 PM

Daily logs work better for me.

I have tried schedules and to-do lists but have never had much success with them. I find that for schedules I tend to get overwhelmed, and if I miss one task on the list I tend to just blow the rest of the schedule off. The same happens with strict to-do lists to some extent as well.

The best method I've found is to make a list with all kinds of productive (and not so productive) tasks I could potentially do throughout the day then keep more of a log of what I actually do rather than try to adhere to a strict schedule or to-do list.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2cyqur4.jpg
Multiple tasks with half hour increments I can check off
when I complete a task over the course of a week.

I tend not to get overwhelmed and feel trapped by this method and provides me motivation of what to work on more the next day. I actually print these off each week on 3x5 index cards and keep them close at hand for motivation.

Bernard Black Nov 1, 2014 06:33 AM

I recently started using the HabitRPG app. Only had it for a week or so and it's upped my productivity a bit.

heofian Nov 1, 2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Black (Post 824614)
I recently started using the HabitRPG app. Only had it for a week or so and it's upped my productivity a bit.

That is sort of neat; I like how your character can lose HP and die on you. I will have to check that app out.