Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Creators' Cafe (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How to make your own font? (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15211)

eriol33 Nov 27, 2006 03:39 AM

How to make your own font?

I dont know where to put this question, either at creator cafe or at the OS/Software forums, so feel free to move it at proper place if I posted this in wrong place.

Just recently I'm being obsessed with typography and Tolkien's alphabets. I wonder if there is a program to create font for yourself? I'm currently planning to make a constructed language for the sake of my novel and I think, creating a font even for nonsensical language could support the fantasy realm of my novel.

Any help would be appreciated ^__^.

Roph Nov 27, 2006 04:05 AM

I started working on a font myself, based off Kairyu's awesome handwriting, though I couldn't get the hang of it :(

I used macromedia fontographer, I forget which version. I don't have it any more, I've formatted twice since then ><

Paco Nov 27, 2006 04:58 AM

I spent the better part of my graphics classes in college making fonts using Illustrator and Fontographer. I wish I could tell you that I had a copy of it for Windows, but I do not.

It was simple enough to do since it was just creating each individual letter in Illustrator and exporting the compound (or completely closed and non-overlapping) paths as EPS files then importing and arranging them as needed in Fontographer to prepare a font file of whatever format you chose. (.suit for Mac or .ttf for Windows)

I really REALLY wish I still had this tutorial I wrote on the subject back in college but I had a hard drive crash in 2003 and I lost EVERYTHING that I had in my computers back then. :(

eriol33 Nov 27, 2006 11:09 AM

Sorry to hear about the tragedy, both of you. But it seems clear now, Macromedia fontographer and adobe illustrator are the essential progams I'm looking for. Dont worry, I will try to find a copy as soon as possible. ^__^

Also, does anyone else have experience on creating beautiful ortography for made-up language? I wonder if someone could possibly share tutorial how they made their own font for their constructed language. :)

Hydra Nov 27, 2006 10:24 PM

I made a font called dinrai which was based on a clay+stylus style of writing I'd invented as a teenager. It was fun to do, I used a free program called FontCreator. Sadly it has dissapeared into the abyss of un-indexed backup cds.

The language itself I'm still working on, (the grammar is mostly done but I have a few glitches to work out to make it truly agglutinative ... and the vocabulary is fairly small too.) It seemed appropriate to finish a script first so that I could *see* how a word would look.

Since then I've changed the script from a very angular one meant to be impressed with a wedge to a handwritten one, but havn't made a font for it yet.