Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Video Gaming (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   [Help] Loading Games From The PS2 HDD... (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20583)

eprox1 Apr 10, 2007 12:44 AM

Loading Games From The PS2 HDD...

Ok. I am so confused by these HD programs.

According to the wiki, HD Loader has been discontinued, and a new and improved method called HD Advance is out. It basically acts as a pressed PS2 disc that will load up the interface to select games that are loaded onto your hard drive, right?

I have a modded PS2, so this may all seem kind of unnecessary for me, but I’ve been reading that using this program will still be of benefit as you wont put as much wear on your laser as well as the drastically improved loading times on games. From what I understand, because of the fact that I have a mod chip, I won’t necessarily need the actual retail pressed disc, but just a burned image of the latest version, right?

Here’s my question though. What the hell is the best thing to be using. I’ve been reading about all of these different versions like HD Loader, HD Advance, USBeXtreme, and all of this other whatnot. Out of experience for the people who use it, what should I get? Should I just search for a torrent of the latest HD Advance? Is it pretty easy to install and use? I am confused.

Soluzar Apr 10, 2007 01:06 AM

The whole situation regarding HDLoader is pretty bizarre, but I'll do my best to explain. The original application is simply called HDLoader, and it used to be available as a pressed disc. That product has indeed since been discontinued.

There is now a new product called HDAdvance, but it is certainly not an improvement on HDLoader. Instead it is just the original HDLoader with the latest patches applied. These patches are also available on the internet, as is the original HDLoader, so there's no advantage to buying HDAdvance.

USB Extreme is, as the name suggests, for users of slimline PS2s who require an external USB hard drive. It isn't compatible with as many games as the patched HDLoader, but if you've got a slimline, you don't have the option to use HDLoader.

The best application to use is the original HDLoader with the latest compatibility patches applied. The way HDLoader patches work is a bit unusual. All the various patches are applied to the original application using a GUI patch program with which you can select the various options to suit your taste, and install an appropriate skin. The patched HDLoader's version number is the version number of the patch program which was used to create it.

The current version is 0.8b and you can find a patched HDLoader at SKSApps. You should also be able to get the original version as well as the patcher application there. It might be worth your while to learn how to patch the HDLoader, so that you can customise the options.

Even thought you could just download an ISO version of the HDLoader and burn it to disc, I don't necessarily recommend that. Some modchips support booting an ELF file directly from the memory card, which is by far the better way to execute HDLoader.

Assuming that HDLoader is properly configured, the CDVD drive should stop spinning as soon as HDLoader has been executed in any case, so you will still be saving wear and tear on your laser.

eprox1 Apr 10, 2007 11:52 AM

Oh. Wow. You are awesome.

So let me get this straight. HD Loader is still the best, with 0.8B being the latest version so far.

I remember you trying to explain to me about these ELF files in an earlier thread regarding saves from a flash drive, and I was confused as all hell. It looks like I should buckle down and learn it, though. If I do use these elf files from a memory card, do I not have to use my laser at all? I guess I don't really understand what an elf file really is, and why it's the best method to use.

I'm curious to know, because my brothers PS2 is also modded, but his laser just bit the dust. The drive won't spin at all, and if there was a way to get around this then that would be awesome. Hell, I don't even know what kind of modchips we both have installed. Time to do some research on the forum of that site you gave me.

Soluzar Apr 10, 2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBomber (Post 420818)
So let me get this straight. HD Loader is still the best, with 0.8B being the latest version so far.

Exactly. What you get when you buy HDAdvance is just the latest HDLoader.

Quote:

I remember you trying to explain to me about these ELF files in an earlier thread regarding saves from a flash drive, and I was confused as all hell. It looks like I should buckle down and learn it, though. If I do use these elf files from a memory card, do I not have to use my laser at all? I guess I don't really understand what an elf file really is, and why it's the best method to use.
An Executable and Linkable Format file is simply an application for PS2. Think of it as being the equivalent of a .EXE for PS2 consoles. When using a modchip with your PS2, or the Independance Exploit, it is possible to load and execute .ELF files from the PS2 Memory Card or PS2 HDD. The better modchips can boot the PS2 console directly from either of these devices. The facility to boot an .ELF from the PS2 Memory card or from the PS2 HDD is called DEV1 and DEV2 Boot mode respectively.

I'm pretty certain that the Matrix Infinity, DMS and Modbo chips all support these modes, but there are plenty of cheap chips on the market which do not. I would suggest visiting [URL=http://psx-scene.com/forums/]PSX-Scene[/quote] for help determining which type of chip you've got. Once you find out, you can figure out how to set up a DEV1 Boot.

I wouldn't recommend booting directly into HDLoader though, even if that's possible. I'd recommend you boot into uLaunchELF which is a file manager and Swiss Army Knife for PS2 homebrew applications. You can then launch HDLoader (and any other applications you wish) from the uLaunchELF front end. You can download a bootable uLaunchELF CD image from SKSApps, which you can then use to do the rest of the file management. You can transfer files to your PS2 either via FTP or from a USB flash drive.

Quote:

I'm curious to know, because my brothers PS2 is also modded, but his laser just bit the dust. The drive won't spin at all, and if there was a way to get around this then that would be awesome.
Assuming that his modchip supports DEV1 Boot mode, then he should be able to get around this problem. You'd need to use your PS2 to transfer the files onto his memory card, of course. It's important to realise that the PS2 Memory Card is just like any other storage device. Each saved game is simply a folder which is named by the product code of the game in question. There's usually a particular folder on the memory card into which you need to place your files, and a particular button you need to hold while booting. The method varies somewhat from chip to chip.

Sorry if all this sounds complicated. It will soon appear much more simple, after you get some hands-on experience with it all.

eprox1 Apr 10, 2007 09:45 PM

Hmm...this is what I ended up finding out after totally disassembling both of the consoles:

Brother's PS2 - v7 (SCPH-39001)
Modchip: MAGIC2 - v2
http://www.china-magic.com/magic2/di...magic2_v12.jpg

My PS2 - v9 (SCPH-50001 3C)
Modchip: U2 ASIA-CG

I don't think that either of those are considered too good, or support that dev1 boot mode, either. I couldn't literally find anything on my U2 Asia chip either. I guess they were both pretty old :(. Is booting from an .iso my only option, now?

Additional Spam:
oh GOD. I knew I should not have been doing this. I had to dig deeper in my PS2 than I had to in my brothers to figure out what kind of mod chip I had. In the process of putting it back together, I broke the fan plug square off of the motherboard. I am totally and completely fucked now, aren't I. Two completely broken/useless PS2's. Wow.

OK. GOD I'M PISSED BUT WHATEVER. I think I might just straight up get a whole new modded PS2, if this thing is unfixable. Does anybody know of any good deals that come with the chip pre installed?

Soluzar Apr 12, 2007 10:12 AM

I'm so very sorry. Its a terrible shame that this has happened, and I wish there was some way to help you. You should probably check PSX-Scene which I linked to in my previous post for pre-modded systems.

You might still be able to fix your PS, but since I can't see the damage, I don't know if there's any way to fix that up.

Jonathan Ingram Apr 12, 2007 11:02 AM

Yeah man, you have my sympathies. I lost my very first PS2 a couple years ago when I tried to open it to calibrate the laser, so I know how aggravating your situation is.

eprox1 Apr 12, 2007 02:11 PM

Yeah, it sucks. It's my own damn fault though. I just was not being as careful as I should have been. I alays forget how sensitive electrical componnents can be :(. I've calmed down since then, though (man, I was raging yesterday when it happened).

I'm talking to the guys over at that site, and they say that there should be no reason that I couldn't just solder it back on, but considering I have never used a soldering iron before, I guess we'll have to wait and see. It's already broken right? What do I have to lose by trying?

Also, Do I even NEED the fan? If worse came to worse, could I find an alternative way of cooling the console, whether it be an external fan blowing cool air inside, or anything like that?

Elixir Apr 12, 2007 02:17 PM

Yes you need the fan. If you had a modded PS2, or TWO of them for that matter, you should've just downloaded and burned games. No compatibility issues at all.

gbghax Apr 20, 2007 03:34 PM

simple...you could take your brother's fan, since his ps2 is broken already, if they are similar models then you're in luck...but if anything, you can always buy a half-working/ "as is" or "broken" ps2 from ebay and fix it..it'll be a whole lot cheaper than actually buying a new console (just make sure they are similar models, for the same size fan)

eprox1 Apr 20, 2007 07:35 PM

That's what I originally thought, but they are indeed different models. I was going to take my disk drive and place it into his console, but it wouldn't fit and had different sized cords/ribbons/whatever they're called :(. I'm gonna swing it over to my uncles hopefully this weekend to try out this soldering thing. WISH ME LUCK.