Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Help Desk (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Need help setting up a wireless network (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=274)

Ekon Mar 2, 2006 05:54 PM

Need help setting up a wireless network

Ok so I've been trying to get this wireless network setup for like the past 2 months and I've failed everytime because I frankly just suck when it comes to computers. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router and my other pc has a WMP54G wireless adapter. When I hook up everything this computer here has a fine connection to the internet, but when trying to connect the other pc I either get an error telling me that it can't find an access point or it found an access point but it can't find the internet(wtf?) Anyone tech savy able to help me out here, or point me to a site designed to help idiots with networking?

Metal Sphere Mar 2, 2006 06:03 PM

Well, are they on the same channel? Make sure everything on the computer with the wireless card matches the router, including WPA-PSK, channel, encryption, the works.

If this is all good, and it connects sometimes and not others, then err... I'm stumped. After you double check all this, reset the computer and see if you can connect. Sometimes the connection drops sometimes here too, only to pop back up in a few minutes. Router's fine too, just like yours apparently.

Sir VG Mar 3, 2006 12:19 AM

OK, login to your router on a wired computer and go to the wireless settings.

Basic:
Mode: I leave it at mixed. You can set it at G-only if that card is the only things connecting (I use a NDS, so I leave it at mixed).
SSID: Type anything in but make sure you remember what it is!
Channel: Typically 11, but again, just note what you use.
SSID Broadcast: Leave it on for now, but after you get this fixed, turn it off.

(Save Settings)

Wireless Security
For now, leave it disabled. But later, turn on WEP.
Default: 1
WEP Encryption: 128 bits
Passphrase: Whatever
Remember what your WEP key #1 is.
(Save Settings)

Wireless MAC Filter
For now, leave it disabled. But later, find out what your MAC address is for your card (when it's connected, it'll be listed under Edit MAC Filter List).

Advanced Wireless Settings
Nothing you need to do here.

Start with that and see if it helps. Remember what you need to list for the Wireless NIC side (SSID, WEP).

Ekon Mar 3, 2006 05:28 AM

Hmm well that seems to have helped, got the computers hooked up and both can access the web just fine now, but I'm wondering how long it'll stay like this, first day I somehow managed to do this but both computers would lose net access after an hour or so. Anyways, thanks VG =)

Lukage Mar 3, 2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ekon
but both computers would lose net access after an hour or so.

I've always found that wireless connections are really iffy, especially PCI cards for desktops. When you CAN do hardwire connections, I'd suggest you go that route. You might want to check to see the signal strength if they're losing connection often.

Ekon Mar 3, 2006 12:43 PM

Well the signal strength is "excellent" but it's kind of weird when I don't have net access, I can do things like use irc and aim, but if it's an online game or if I'm just trying to surf the web I can't do it. It acts as if I'm not connected to the net at all.

Lukage Mar 3, 2006 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ekon
Well the signal strength is "excellent" but it's kind of weird when I don't have net access, I can do things like use irc and aim, but if it's an online game or if I'm just trying to surf the web I can't do it. It acts as if I'm not connected to the net at all.

That may be a software firewall. Can you go to the command prompt and ping any web sites?

Oh, by the way: You have no internet. This forum is a figment of your imagination.

Ekon Mar 3, 2006 03:01 PM

Should my Ip address be the same on both computers? Because it is...

GrimReaper Mar 3, 2006 07:04 PM

No, every computer should have a different IP. Maybe one computer is setup to have a static IP and it's conflicting with the other one. Just make sure all your computers are setup with DHCP.

Sir VG Mar 3, 2006 07:36 PM

To the outside world, both computers will be the same IP. To your router, they won't. One computer will be 192.168.1.100 and the other 192.168.1.101. But if you go to www.whatismyip.com both computers will give you the same IP address...something completely different.

Ekon Mar 3, 2006 09:05 PM

Oh I see, yeah I was using whatismyip to check and was confused why both had the same. Everything seems to be working just fine now though, only issue I'm having is just this port forwarding crap, kind of annoying.

Sir VG Mar 3, 2006 09:44 PM

Well, considering that there are some viruses that will waltz right in if your firewall isn't up, better safe than sorry.

Rock Mar 4, 2006 07:48 AM

Firewalls don't stop viruses, nor are they intended to, though.

The_Griffin Mar 4, 2006 12:36 PM

Viruses being used as a general term for "malware," in this case.

Ekon Mar 4, 2006 07:52 PM

Oh one annoying little problem with irc and this router, I seem to disconnect every hour or so, sometimes every 30 minutes when I'm idle. Keep getting an error telling me that software caused connection abort. Is there anything I have to check/uncheck or a certain port I have to forward to solve this?