Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Quiet Place (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Religon in Dating (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2119)

jsphweid Mar 18, 2006 02:58 PM

What about dating inside a religion. Specifically Christianity. Do alot of people see it ok to date someone who is Christian but one is Catholic and the other Baptist?

Joseph

Stealth Mar 18, 2006 03:08 PM

I probably would never date muslims or atheists. Atheists mostly because the people that like to make it a point that they are atheists are usually ridiculous and assholes. I would date one if I just sort of found out eventually that they were.

And muslims, well, I doubt the muslim culture would accept me so much. Outside of that, it doesn't matter. Though I probably wouldn't date any extreme fanatics of any religion, be it Christian or some other.

nabhan Mar 18, 2006 03:13 PM

I'm a Muslim, and I would not have any problems marrying or dating someone of another religion. I was, after all, raised here in Canada in a typically lax (religion-wise) environment.

However, I think my mom would kill me if I ever did. For her, my single choice is a Muslim Bengali girl from a nice background. She was telling me about how she wants me to go to Bangladesh when I'm older and find a wife. Uh...

Also, Islam permits men to marry Jewish or Christian women, but I'm pretty sure dating is forbidden unless it's serious courting.

Minion Mar 18, 2006 03:29 PM

It's pretty simple.

If you plan on having kids, you had better agree with your mate on everything that each of you considers important. If someone is religious, chances are, they are going to consider it important. Even if you're both completely open to each other's beliefs, you're going to confuse the hell out of the kid when he can't get a straight answer out of either of you.

If you don't want kids yet, then do whatever you want. I don't think relationships between two people who are culturally different have much of a chance to work out, let alone two people with differing religious beliefs, but as long as you're not bringing a kid into this world so you can fuck him up, go find out for youself.

nabhan Mar 18, 2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devo
And I'm guessing though the women would have to follow your (Muslim) rules, not the other way around?

I don't know about traditionally, but personally I'd be willing to compromise.

Tama8-chan Mar 18, 2006 05:10 PM

I try to keep as much of an open mind about girls and other religious, but the sort of beliefs and ideals I grew up with WOULD affect my thinking when it comes to a serious relationship, or marriage.

The whole thing about your kids and what they'll turn out like is a bit factor as well. So it makes sense to keep as open-minded as possible.

Everyone in my family has married to a catholic vietnamese person.
However, my cousin's husband used to be a buddhist, but he converted to catholicism just so he'd be accepted into the family by her parents. How sweet.
As for my aunt, she married a white aussie guy, who at this point I think is Catholic, but more of an athiest that anything.

There is a certain level of acceptance in my family, but I think in all seriously they would PREFER if I married some nice vietnamese girl, who was also catholic.....
I asked my parents, jokingly, what if i brought home a muslim girl, covered from head to toe in that traditional dress. They said they'd die from shock.
Jokingly, of course. But I'd guess that that IS what they'd actually do.

However, I think that as long as the girl I'm with is catholic, no matter what ethnicity she is, then they're fine with that

Fjordor Mar 19, 2006 03:09 AM

Wow. Surprising that I managed to pass over this thread for so long.

To me, having very a similar religious belief with someone I am dating is very important.
To begin with, I do not like to date, except as a means to an end, which is marriage. Thus, if there is someone who is pretty much not at all marriage material, I not date them.
Building upon that, it is also taught in Chrsitianity that it is not good for 2 people to be unequally yoked in life. Meaning, it is not very healthy for a believer and a non-believer to be married.
Therefore, I will not date anyone who does not hold to Christianity. I will however accept someone who is within the whole realm of Orthodox Christianity, whether Pentacostal or Catholic. In fact, in some ways, I would prefer a gal who has differing ideas of doctrinal nuances than I do (so long as they are well thought out). This will hopefully help keep us balanced in regards to certain perceptions and views.

Minion Mar 19, 2006 09:43 AM

So you wouldn't date a Protestant?

Tek2000 Mar 19, 2006 11:32 AM

dat_kasu Mar 19, 2006 12:27 PM

I would date people with different religious beliefs, but I couldn't date someone who is really radical or tries to force me to believe in his religion.

Arainach Mar 19, 2006 12:45 PM

Being an Atheist, if I shunned people with other religions, my potential dating pool would be crippled. So I don't let it. I've spent nearly 19 years of my life pretending to respect religious beliefs (Catholic in my case), I can spend more of my life pretending to believe crap to keep other people happy.

Normally I'm a stickler for honesty in a relationship, and I make it a point not to lie to someone I'm dating. Religion is the exception here, because most people get SO FUCKING NUTS (tm) over their religion that it's not worth telling them the truth.

Minion Mar 19, 2006 12:52 PM

Maybe you should move to Manhattan or something.

Misogynyst Gynecologist Mar 19, 2006 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach
Being an Atheist, if I shunned people with other religions, my potential dating pool would be crippled. So I don't let it. I've spent nearly 19 years of my life pretending to respect religious beliefs (Catholic in my case), I can spend more of my life pretending to believe crap to keep other people happy.

So not only are you a lying sack of shit that cannot be trusted, but you lack the conviction to tell people you're atheist. Good job.

Fjordor Mar 19, 2006 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minion
So you wouldn't date a Protestant?

Well, Protestants, last I checked, are within the realm of Orthodoxy. Like I said, Pentacostals to Roman Catholic. That almost covers everything.

Also, LOL at Arainach.

bisha Mar 19, 2006 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devo
And I'm guessing though the women would have to follow your (Muslim) rules, not the other way around?

Yeah, the woman would have to convert to Islam and the children would be raised under islamic law. Also, the rule for muslim men being allowed to marry jewish or christian women doesn't lie true for muslim women.

Having been raised as a somewhat lax muslim, my parents insist on me marrying an asian muslim, I think it's supposed to act as some kind of atonement for not having lived the perfect muslim life (praying five times a day, all that jazz.) However, I'm a pretty hard-headed girl - I don't see myself going down that road - I'm agnostic and don't really have a problem dating people of other faiths, so long as nothing is imposed on me.

Minion Mar 19, 2006 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fjordor
Well, Protestants, last I checked, are within the realm of Orthodoxy. Like I said, Pentacostals to Roman Catholic. That almost covers everything.

Also, LOL at Arainach.

Actually Orthodoxy is a separate branch of the church. There is Catholicism, Orothdoxy and Protestantism. What you said sounded like you meant you wouldn't date a Protestant.

mesmeric Mar 19, 2006 02:00 PM

I would and have dated people outside of my religion, however I can’t date a person that wants to change the beliefs that I have worked so hard to gain. I believe that religion is a very powerful and personal decision that should not be looked upon lightly.

So I guess I am on the fence a little even though I voted ‘yes’. The one thing that I have to have though is the willingness to let my children make up their own mind on what they want to believe in.

Fjordor Mar 19, 2006 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minion
Actually Orthodoxy is a separate branch of the church. There is Catholicism, Orothdoxy and Protestantism. What you said sounded like you meant you wouldn't date a Protestant.

Well, not really.
There is orthodoxy, which is essentially the basic, undeniable doctrines. The things which, if you deny, make you not a member of that group. In the case of a Christian: if someone says that they believe in all the basic ideas of Christianity, except that they think Jesus was just a man, then by definition they cannot be considered a Christian. Get my drift?

There are other churches which have, as their title, orthodox church, like the Eastern, Greek, Syrian, etc. But that is not what I am referring to. Context my friend, context.

Zurc Mar 19, 2006 07:24 PM

I still don't get why people in these days still need to believe in some imaginary god or something. I wish everybody would just erase religious stuff from their heads. If I'm worried because of something, praying to an imaginary thing won't make it better, because it's fake and my mind's creation. I mean, if someone would grow up without hearing about religion and such, I think that person would never care about such things. We should worry about being good to each other, and not about being good in order to go to heaven.
But hey, I'd date someone religious, but only if that person would not restrict me, like not eating meat. That's just absurd.

Tek2000 Mar 19, 2006 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zurc
I still don't get why people in these days still need to believe in some imaginary god or something.

Discarding the possibility that a god exists the way you do is a pretty arrogant affirmation, don't you think?. :juggler:

FallDragon Mar 19, 2006 09:33 PM

Morality is more important to me than Religion. As long as you have the same general ideas of right and wrong that I do, it's fine. The only group I'd consciously not date are super-Christians that praise God every 5 seconds. And now a days there's more and more Christians that are pretty liberal as far as Religious preference, so I'm fine dating one of them.

nazpyro Mar 19, 2006 11:31 PM

I would definitely prefer to date someone who is religious, preferably Christian, and as close to Catholic as possible. At the minimum someone I date must be open-minded about such things. I'm somewhat religious myself. I attend mass at least once a week. I've gone to private school all my life except for college. I've been in a youth group forever. So, to answer the poll, I'll date outside of my religion for sure, but I will consider religion.

Zurc Mar 20, 2006 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x86
Discarding the possibility that a god exists the way you do is a pretty arrogant affirmation, don't you think?. :juggler:

Please, don't get me wrong. I respect people who are religious. But I didn't say it doesn't exist. The truth is that no one knows if it does exist. That's why I say it's nothing more than something imaginary. So why praying to something we don't even know? :) People find it easier not to face reality and instead gain hope in "God". That's what I've been realizing with my mother, for example.