Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Behind the Music (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Put All Audio Questions Here (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=840)

Lady Miyomi Mar 13, 2006 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowHead
Use foobar2000 and replaygain the files before diskwriting/encoding to WAV/MP3.

How do I do this?

Double Post:
Nevermind, figured it out.

Kaiten Mar 13, 2006 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Miyomi
How do I do this?

Double Post:
Nevermind, figured it out.

Also most good plugins have a pre-amp for volume amplification, set that to a desireable volume if you still use Winamp.

Lady Miyomi Mar 13, 2006 11:12 PM

So, turning the volume up in Winamp would make it sound louder before I convert it?

Kaiten Mar 13, 2006 11:14 PM

Quote:

So, turning the volume up in Winamp would make it sound louder before I convert it?

Not exactly what I'm talking about. If your plugins don't support a preamp in the plugins, just move all the sliders on your equalizer up evenly until you achive your desired loudness.

ArrowHead Mar 14, 2006 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
Not exactly what I'm talking about. If your plugins don't support a preamp in the plugins, just move all the sliders on your equalizer up evenly until you achive your desired loudness.

Not necessarily a good idea, as it can introduce clipping if you're not very careful about it.

Double Post:
To "replaygain" files in foobar2000, just select them from its window, right-click and go ReplayGain > Scan selection as…

Kaiten Mar 14, 2006 11:53 AM

Quote:

Not necessarily a good idea, as it can introduce clipping if you're not very careful about it.

Double Post:
To "replaygain" files in foobar2000, just select them from its window, right-click and go ReplayGain > Scan selection as…

Yeah, but Lady Miyomi's GSF files are only natively playable in Winamp (you can play them in foobar2000 0.8.3, but it requires a Winamp plugin wrapper). You could then edit the spit out wav files and apply Replaygain to them to delete the clipping.

Lady Miyomi Mar 14, 2006 10:26 PM

Quote:

Yeah, but Lady Miyomi's GSF files are only natively playable in Winamp (you can play them in foobar2000 0.8.3, but it requires a Winamp plugin wrapper). You could then edit the spit out wav files and apply Replaygain to them to delete the clipping.

This is exactly what I've been doing and it works perfect! Thank you both!

ArrowHead Mar 14, 2006 11:36 PM

Quote:

Nope. Clipping in WAV files is unrepairable.

Double Post:
Quote:

This is exactly what I've been doing and it works perfect! Thank you both!

If only it worked.

It doesn't - as I just posted above, replaygain won't fix clipped WAV files.

Lady Miyomi Mar 15, 2006 12:21 AM

I've been using Winamp to convert them to WAV and then some other program to convert them to MP3. Winamp's MP3 plugin freezes after a few conversions and won't work anymore. I use replaygain on the MP3s. It works for me that way. That's what I was talking about.

Kaiten Mar 15, 2006 01:39 AM

Quote:

Nope. Clipping in WAV files is unrepairable.

Double Post:
If only it worked.

It doesn't - as I just posted above, replaygain won't fix clipped WAV files.

It's a convoluted path but here goes:
1. Convert your files in Winamp to wav (or some other lossless format)
2. Go into foobar2000 v0.8.3
3. Scan the files for Replaygain (don't worry if they can't have Replaygan applied to them, the database will save the RG values
4. Open up the preferences
5. Go to the Playback options and make sure the following option is checked:
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/5...83120894ll.png
6. Go to the diskwriter preferences and make sure the following option is checked:
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/2...83120897mt.png
7. Then covert the file to any format you please, the files will have the clipping cut off and Replaygain applied.

ArrowHead Mar 15, 2006 12:01 PM

That'll work.

Lady Miyomi Mar 17, 2006 01:35 AM

Splitting different file formats...

I'm specifically asking about NSF and GBS files. Is there any way to split them into individual NSF or GBS tracks? If so, how do I do it?

Kaleb.G Mar 17, 2006 03:24 AM

Quote:

I'm specifically asking about NSF and GBS files. Is there any way to split them into individual NSF or GBS tracks? If so, how do I do it?

I don't know if you'll like this method or if you can even use it, but what I do is use NotSoFatso with Winamp. I convert an NSF to an NSFE through NotSoFatso. Then, I make one copy of the NSFE file for each track I wish to have. I open up each NSFE in NotSoFatso and edit the playlist so it only plays a single track. When you're done, you should have a bunch of NSFE files, each with a different, singular track. You may have to tweak some other playback settings (such as hiding the track selection window, as it will be useless), but I think that's about it.

Not sure what to do with GBS...

Basil Mar 17, 2006 09:14 AM

I've heard tips that if you open up an NSF or GBS file in Sony Sound Forge, that you can edit them from there. Just highlight a part of the track, use CTRL+X, and then open a new window and paste it there. You should have two files - one being the original NSF without one of the tracks, and the other file being what you cut and pasted.

Of course, you'd have to do this for every track in the NSF or GBS. However, I haven't tried this out myself yet, but I got this information from Kairyu.

Kairyu Mar 17, 2006 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_Kirby2
I've heard tips that if you open up an NSF or GBS file in Sony Sound Forge, that you can edit them from there. Just highlight a part of the track, use CTRL+X, and then open a new window and paste it there. You should have two files - one being the original NSF without one of the tracks, and the other file being what you cut and pasted.

Of course, you'd have to do this for every track in the NSF or GBS. However, I haven't tried this out myself yet, but I got this information from Kairyu.

You forgot the first part of the instruction; which is to first convert the NSF or GBS file into a wav file. Most of the time I use winamp to accomplish this. After that you should be able to open the file in Sony Sound Forge.

Lady Miyomi Mar 17, 2006 01:52 PM

So, does it make one big wav file or does it know to separate the files?

Kairyu Mar 17, 2006 02:26 PM

Quote:

So, does it make one big wav file or does it know to separate the files?

Running it through winamp's diskwriter will make the NSF/GBS file into one big wav file. So I've been spliting the tracks the way Blue_Kirby2 mentioned. I suppose there is a faster way of doing this but my way does work =).

Lady Miyomi Mar 17, 2006 05:22 PM

Someone just mentioned to me that maybe I should record it from my soundcard as it's playing. I'm not even sure how to do that, but I'll try your method first to see if I can handle all the steps correctly. Thanks!

ArrowHead Mar 17, 2006 05:41 PM

From the soundcard, with cables? That can be done, but I guess that will give you an digital->analog->digital recording instead of a pure digital recording. It could sound pretty grisly. Worth a try though especially if you don't plan on sharing the recording.

Lady Miyomi Mar 17, 2006 06:08 PM

I have no idea because this person didn't explain the concept clearly. They just told me to look into it. I'll just use Kairyu's method. Thanks.

orion_mk3 Mar 20, 2006 01:07 PM

Does anyone know anything about .srf files? I'm interested in decompressing some of the .srf files from the "You Don't Know Jack" trivia series to get some funny quotes without having to record directly from the game.

I don't really think anyone will know anything--my gut tells me it's a proprietary format--but hope springeth eternal.

EDIT: Included a sample file. I renamed it to .rar, but it's actually a .srf

Lady Miyomi Mar 20, 2006 11:30 PM

Does anyone know how to do XA to WAV conversions? I used to remember this about seven years ago, but I forgot. I have an XA file that I want to convert.

lion Mar 21, 2006 01:39 AM

Does anyone know the difference between 'joint stereo' and 'stereo' in a mp3 file? I tend to think 'stereo' sounds better than 'joint stereo' but joint stereo is used when I rip using EAC (from that thread by Moguta)

Kaiten Mar 21, 2006 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lion
Does anyone know the difference between 'joint stereo' and 'stereo' in a mp3 file? I tend to think 'stereo' sounds better than 'joint stereo' but joint stereo is used when I rip using EAC (from that thread by Moguta)

Joint Stereo analyzes the audio for similarities between the left and right channel and will result in better quality for a lower bitrate if the two channels have little or no separation. LAME determines which is best for each frame in an MP3 and so do most other lossy encoders. You get better quality for lower bitrates with joint stereo, so it's best to use joint stereo with mp3s (though non-LAME mp3 encoders make bad choices on what to use joint stereo on).

ArrowHead Mar 23, 2006 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lion
I tend to think 'stereo' sounds better than 'joint stereo' but joint stereo is used when I rip using EAC (from that thread by Moguta)

You think, but can you tell? Have you tried blind testing J-Stereo vs Stereo vs the original?