Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Arkhangelsk's Journal

Arkhangelsk's Journal Statistics
View Arkhangelsk's profile
Entries 207 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 13 entries are private (6.28% of total)
Views 93549
Replies Arkhangelsk has made 1181 comments [view stats]
Comments 1403 comments (6.78 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 73 props given to Arkhangelsk [who be proppin?]
Buddies 42 buddies
Relation You are not Arkhangelsk's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries
Jul 25, 2008 - 09:02 PM
On riding trains in Germany (EUROTRIP: Part I)
It kind of sucks when you speak little to no German.

I was on the trains today for about 11 hours to get from Slovenia to my cousins' place in Wiesbaden, Germany. I was kicked out of seats once because I didn't make reservations. Thought I was going the wrong way on the train a few times. Had quite a few Germans try to talk to me, only to be greeted by my blank, ashamed look and, "Ich sprache keine deutsche ". German is next year for me -- a year too late. But now I'm here, I'm up way too late, and tomorrow I'm going to jam on viola with my cousin and his band. Probably go around the little German town, take MOAR PICTURES (I'm up to 568 so far, and I've only been to Boston and Slovenia).

Slovenia was amazing...only the best pictures will make it to the requisite pic entry. My friend, her mother, her brother, her boyfriend and her friends are all wonderful/super/fantastic/amazing people!!!! Also, I had Slovenian "mexican" food not once, but twice...and Slovenian Chinese food. Know what they give you instead of fortune cookies? PLUM WINE. One to drink there, one to take home. My friend's mom also gave me three bottles of alcohol as a souvenir, since they're known for their blueberry and honey schnapps .

And then...on Sunday...........

KAIZERS ORCHESTRA.

Currently Playing: Kaizers Orchestra - Evig Pint

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (1 bottles)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #174]

Jul 17, 2008 - 10:45 AM
ITE: Posting from Boston.
*_*
Response to: ITE: Posting from Vancouver by Basil

So I'm here.

Good call on the trains, Sass . Damn, I wish we had public transport like this in Austin (or California). I'm being a history tourist and following the "Freedom Trail" thing, taking lots of pictures. I'm pretty sure I couldn't look more touristy if I tried XD.

I can't get over the accents.
You have to understand, I've never met anyone from the Boston area in person, therefore, I've only heard Bostonian accents on TV or via some sort of sound-replicating device. I don't know how that's possible, but it is. Then again, I'm kind of nerdy about accents....

Anyway, good times. I leave for Barcelona at 6:20pm

Currently Playing: Street sounds

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (3 bottles)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #173]

Jul 15, 2008 - 02:25 PM
So I'm going to be in Boston by Thursday morning...
...any suggestions on what to do?

I'm going to be flying into the airport by 7am, but I don't leave for Spain until 6pm. That's a bit of time... one of my friends who used to live in Boston told me to take the Blue Line to the North End (little Italy?). I dunno. I've definitely never been in Boston, and I definitely have to use public transportation. What would be within easy traveling distance from the airport?

Currently Playing: The Offspring - Pretty Fly for a White Guy (no idea why)

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (8 bottles)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #172]

Jul 14, 2008 - 04:50 PM
I'M GOING TO SEE KAIZERS ORCHESTRA
Words can't describe how excited I am.

My cousin (who lives in Germany) is going with me. At first, I was just tossing around the idea. Then I discovered that my cousins live a ~3-hour train ride from Karlsruhe, where the Zeltival is happening. And they're playing.

OMGOMGOMGOMG!

Currently Playing: !!!!!!!

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [3] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 bottles)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #171]

Jun 30, 2008 - 05:40 AM
Dear GOD that was expensive and time-consuming.
I should go to bed, but I'm just excited that I finally solidified my travel plans (that happen in 2.5 weeks! ).

So I'm going to all these places in Europe (see previous entry).
I have a railpass for most of the major countries, but getting from California --> Boston --> Barcelona --> Slovenia was one giant headache.

Why Boston? Because the best fare I could find to Europe was $1,075 RT, and it was out of Boston. Getting there from CA is not an issue, since I'm using my Frequent Flyer Miles. But getting from Barcelona to Slovenia? Arghhh...discount airlines won't let me take my viola on-board, so I have to go through regular carriers. $200 to Slovenia, but my friend is taking care of everything (ie: food, transportation, room, etc) for a week once I get there, so I suppose it's about even.

But once I make my way across Europe to Portugal, I have to get from Porto back to Barcelona. Silly me, thinking a train could get me there overnight ...riiiiight. So I had to get another plane ticket, this time at the nicer amount of $175, to get back to Barcelona. I'm going to have to spend the night, but unfortunately I won't have much time to actually do anything there, since my flight gets in at 8pm and my flight leaves at 10am .

My grandma gave me $1000 at the beginning of summer. She's basically paying for my travel within Europe, but that leaves me with about $250 spending money, since I lost one of the gigs I planned to have before I left. Maybe I can dig around my bank account and find some extra money...but that sounds unlikely.

Photo souvenirs!!!!!!

Currently Playing: infomercials -- that depresses me even more.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (0 bottles)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #170]

Jun 24, 2008 - 03:53 PM
Why does it cost so damn much to visit Europe?
Wait -- I know the answer to that.

Anyway, in about three weeks I'm gonna take off on a little mini-tour of Europe! It's going to cost a helluva lot, but the good news is, it could have been more. Here's the schedule:

1 - Slovenia
One of my best friends from UT is from there, and all I have to do is get myself over there. She's going to basically drive me around the entire country. She lives 3 hours from Vienna, so the next stop is...

2 - Vienna, Austria
Road trip with my friend, her fiancee and some of her friends. From Vienna I'm taking a train to Germany.

>> Potential detour to see Kaizers Orchestra...if I can orchestrate it...<<

3 - Wiesbaden, Germany
My cousins are currently living there, and their mom told me to get myself there and they would take me to...

4 - Paris, France
Apparently it's a 3 hour train ride from Wiesbaden to Paris. My cousins go there all the time, and I already will have a train ticket. One of my friends might also be there (home, for him), so if our itineraries coincide, then I'll meet up with him.

5 - Viana do Castelo, Portugal
This is the actual reason I'm going to be in Europe (lol)...a 2-week chamber music festival in this old sailing village. Apparently I'll be playing a couple of new compositions by a composer friend of the man who got me a scholarship to the festival, who is the teacher of my Slovenian friend. Hm. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be hideously overworked there, considering I'm one of three violas and there's about 30 violinists . And I'm also the music librarian. Oy.

So.

Anybody have any helpful hints about traveling in Europe? The whole train thing sounds really easy to do, but since I've never done any travel by myself in Europe (I've always been with music tour groups), suggestions are more than welcome.

Sooooo excited!!!!!!!!!

Currently Playing: XM radio - BPM

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (10 bottles)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #169]

Jun 15, 2008 - 09:30 PM
Computer problems.... (advice welcome)
I guess I should also put this in the Hardware and Networking Zone...

My parents' computer has decided to not boot up, and I was kind of at a loss for the cause. From what I could tell (and via phone, my uncle as well, who is a computer God) it seemed like it was from a corrupted Windows file. However, when I finally got CHKDSK to run, it instantly started listing off lots of corrupted sectors on the harddrive.

I'm not exactly a computer wizard. I do pretty well for myself and fixing 'everyday' computer fuckery with my own computers and my friends' computers, but this has me rather stumped. I pulled out the harddrive in question and slapped it in an enclosure to see if I could get anything off of it through my laptop, but alas -- nothing. It appears that my laptop tries to mount the drive (ie: it makes the sound when a USB device is connected), but then makes the disconnect sound without ever registering that a disk was ever there. The drive goes on, it spins... but that's about all it does.

I don't know if that's enough information to go on, but I'd like to know if their hard drive is completely toast -- and if it is, I still need to either take it to my uncle or a data recovery place, because there's an awful lot of stuff on it that I would kind of like to have .

In other news, I bought a HD backup for my laptop and am promptly backing up *everything* I have on here .

Currently Playing: Vox XM

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 bottles)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #168]

May 26, 2008 - 07:28 PM
Yay for Summer vacation (-_-).
-______-
So I came back to California, and ever since I've been here I've had to take care of my grandma; she had a surgery on a tumor (that she let get to the size of a fucking volleyball) because she was having really bad pain. They took it out, and she's still almost unable to walk. Now that I'm here, I'm basically being her live-in nurse. Which would be fine, if I could come and go if need be instead of stuck in the house all day, and if my grandma didn't hassle me daily about the fact that I:

- Shouldn't be driving, despite having a driver's license (and I'm 22. She got her license at 15.5)
- Need to lose weight/Obviously gained weight since last semester (buying the same size clothes/wearing the same clothes for the last 5 years )
- Have to get my hair cut ("because it just looks terrible! why can't I brush it?")
- Don't know how to pay bills
- Shouldn't be cooking. ("It makes me gain weight, and I'll make a mess")

It does give me time to practice the loads of music in anticipation of next semester, though.

However, my roommate is coming to visit in less than a week, and we're going on a tour of Central California! It should be exciting. Later in the summer I'm going on a mini European tour of sorts... starting in Slovenia, making my way to Portugal via Austria/Germany/France/Spain. More on that when I have details down.

Also -- I HAVE SKYPE. One of my closest friends is going back to Slovenia, and not coming back, so she convinced me. I found my old microphone and dusted it off, hooked it up. Call me if you would like... I might be on that more often than any form of chat .

Currently Playing: Mama Cass - 'Dream a Little Dream'

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (3 bottles)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #167]

May 16, 2008 - 01:01 AM
Advice on buying a used car.
-_-
Okay, so I'm utterly clueless as to how one goes about buying a used car.
Here's the situation: my parents were supposed to get me a one-way ticket back to California, because I was supposed to drive my isuzu back to school at the end of August. For whatever reason (my mom cites plane ticket costs, but I know better), she got me a round-trip ticket, so guess who won't have a car next semester?
I've already stressed to them multiple times how important it is for me to have a car here in Texas. Yes, even with the cost of gas going through the roof; in order to do the maximum amount of gigs, you need transportation to get to said gigs. I only have one more year here, and in that year I'll need more money than ever (the government has seen fit to give me nothing for my last year of college).

So I'm thinking of just getting myself a car here in Texas. But how to do that?

- What should I be wary of (I would rather not get a lemon...)?
- What questions should I ask to make sure that I don't get taken, or what should I be on the lookout for?
- Any particular cars that hold up better over time? I'm thinking to be pretty cheap here...anywhere from $1300-2000 max, so I doubt I'll be getting anything remotely new.
- Is there any place online that is reliable? (I thought about eBay motors, but everything gets out of my "price range" pretty quick)
- Does anybody have experience with Auto Auctions and the kind of cars they deal in?

This thing just has to be able to get me around for about a year, and if it's not too shabby, then I'll think about driving it to wherever I'm headed for grad school -- which probably will be midwest/east coastish.

Currently Playing: DDR Konamix

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (8 bottles)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #166]

May 13, 2008 - 05:55 PM
Back to my [nerd] roots...briefly.
I went to one of the best comic book shops in Austin today with the one friend I have here that is willing to go with me . It's been about 7 months since I've been in contact with any comics whatsoever, and so I didn't know about this:

and

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I understand that this may be old news for some (or most) of you, but it's new to me and I'm fucking excited! I don't usually find reasons to spend what little extra money I have on normal forms of entertainment, but this qualifies.
Of course, I have a birthday coming up (in like, 5 months)...I could probably wait that long.

Other things whose existence I wasn't aware of:

, ,

I want them too.

Currently Playing: The Servant - Orchestra

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [2] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 bottles)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #165]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Arkhangelsk's Journal