Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Misogynyst Gynecologist's Journal

Journal Banner
"Remember that you must behave in life as at a dinner party. Is anything brought around to you? Put out your hand and take your share with moderation. Does it pass by you? Don't stop it. Is it not yet come? Don't stretch your desire towards it, but wait till it reaches you. Do this with regard to children, to a wife, to public posts, to riches, and you will eventually be a worthy partner of the feasts of the gods. And if you don't even take the things which are set before you, but are able even to reject them, then you will not only be a partner at the feasts of the gods, but also of their empire." - The Enchiridion, Epictetus

Misogynyst Gynecologist's Journal Statistics
View Misogynyst Gynecologist's profile
Entries 969 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 56 entries are private (5.78% of total)
Views 476144
Replies Misogynyst Gynecologist has made 6926 comments [view stats]
Comments 8922 comments (9.21 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 1601 props given to Misogynyst Gynecologist [who be proppin?]
Buddies 23 buddies
Relation You are not Misogynyst Gynecologist's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries
Sep 8, 2010 - 03:21 PM
Since Sass Keeps Deleting Comments That Contradict Her Delicate Sensibilities
Response to: Lars van Trier's Antichrist by I poked it and it made a sad sound

Originally Posted by knkwzrd
His films say nothing.
I absolutely agree.

Antichrist is one of those movies that are made by people who've seen some really good movies and simply recycled elements without understanding things like character motivation or the points and workings of subtext. Tarintino, etc. The reason why David Lynch makes good movies and van Trier doesn't is that Lynch's imagery has a point to the narrative whole while van Trier simply puts it in the film for atmospheric wallpaper.

Critics who saw the movie as misogynist are just as stupid though. Imagery taken out of context of the plot can be construed as anything but given to the whole is the intention of the director/writer/creator/whomever. If I show you a violent scene, you're going to be "offended" - if I show you a war movie, you're going to understand the violent scene in context - if that movie happens to be "Saving Private Ryan", then you know the context of the scene (and the whole movie) is that "war is hell" and thus the violent scene is seen properly. The same goes for this - the imagery in it is in context to the whole.

However, Antichrist is just brutality for the sake of brutality. Babies hanging out of deer vagina and a dude getting his nads stomped out has no value in context of the scene - or in the context of the film's whole because the narration / story amounts to nothing.

Stupid people - and I mean REALLY stupid people - will find deep meaning in anything they can. They'll find it in things like The Human Centepede and they'll find Hume-like qualities in Juno and all that garbage. Antichrist is a gold standard for this and I think the difference needs to be seen between actual "powerful filmmaking" and simply something "that makes you depressed". (Sorry, Sprout.)

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (26 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #793]

Sep 7, 2010 - 07:28 PM
Memories Of A Visible Composer

(While its a little impersonal in that I never knew nor will claim to know the composer, its an event that really bothers me to this day and I'm hoping that venting my spleen about it will bring me some catharsis. I know I didn't do wrong but ... well, you'll get the idea.)

Like many people, I was introduced to classical music through the magic of John Williams and the movies he made through the 1980s. And for a long time, thats all I really paid attention to since my nose was stuck in pop and grunge. I heard Horner and Bernstein and Goldsmith but it didn't click back then like they do now. Star Wars was it for me (Indiana Jones to a much "lesser" degree) and I didn't go much further. There was plenty of pop music to fill the gap but I'll be damned if I remember much of it.

That changed on September 5, 1992. Little did I know I'd be writing about that day almost twenty years later. But Batman The Animated Series premiered and nothing for me was ever the same again. Admittedly, I was something of a Marvel Comics baby at the time so I was more interested in the Marvel/Saban X-Men cartoon but that only ran at 11 in the morning on Saturdays while Batman was five days a week at 4:30. Guess which one I watched more of?

YouTube Video

I had *no* clue a weekly animated series could have music like BTAS did. Most shows had library music (they'd record maybe a dozen cues and recycle them through the show's run) or just bang out something on MIDI. BTAS was different though - even some episodes I didn't particularly care for had some great music in them and I'm embarrassed to say I air-conducted to it more than once through middle school and into high school.

I watched the show when it got bumped over and revamped on the WB network, then rolled over into the Batman Superman Adventures. It got to the point where I knew most of the guest stars on it just by hearing their voices (this has now become a long-standing hobby of mine), could pick out which artists did what storyboard layouts just by the rhythm or look and could hum a number of the background scores. Lolita Ritmanis and Kristopher Carter did fine work themselves but Shirley Walker's music always stood out a little further; harmonies seemed a little thicker with her.

Fast-forward to 2005. I'm not entirely sure why I decided to email Mrs Walker for an interview - probably just sitting around watching some reruns of the Superman Animated Series - but I shot off a quick email to her representative if she'd be interested in an interview. After a while, you just get to taking chances more often than giving half a damn about the responses you'd get.

A couple days later - I not only get a reply, but a reply from Walker herself...

Putting this into perspective, I wouldn't say she was a childhood hero - but I can't think of a better or apt description either. It was just as good as getting an email from John Williams or basically anyone ever, then or now. It blew my mind. The woman who co-composed Apocalypse Now, The Black Stallion and orchestrated for the likes of Elfman, Zimmer, Poledouris, Goldenthal... and I was ecstatic. I should count myself as lucky that I was at home because I may have otherwise been caught jumping around the room like an imbecile.

I worked quickly, enthusiastically, diligently to get the interview in proper order. In hindsight, all of what I wrote was a little long in the tooth but thats okay. Not everyone has the chance to exchange words with someone who molded their basic understanding of music and I did. I got the chance so enthusiasm was expected.

After checking my wording and questions, I shot her the interview and waited patiently. Time went by, weeks passed... and though she was busy she did reply with this:

Not a problem. I started getting busy with some life stuff of my own and figured a little extra time would only help everyone. I didn't get back in touch with her until April. My email was polite, brief, just a hello and a question if she had some free time yet.

Her reply was crushing. She apologized profusely, saying she'd "dropped the ball on a number of things". That her husband of 39 years had just passed on due to cancer. That she wanted a couple of months to herself, so she could give a more enthusiastic response to my questions and that she still had my old emails saved. She apologized again, thanked me for being interested in her music and gave her regards. It was about half a paragraph, carefully worded and the longest exchange I ever had with her.

Needless to say I didn't know how to respond to it. She wasn't a friend nor was she someone I knew at all. I just knew her music and knew that it would be beyond good taste to offer sympathy - that would just be awkward. I deleted the original email out of some weird form of respect, but recently found a cut and pasted version to the person I was writing the interview for which is where the above quote is sourced from.

YouTube Video

Sadly, that was also the last time I ever had contact with Mrs Walker. She died a couple months later on November 30, 2006 after complications from a stroke. In a weird bit of happenstance, I got an email about her passing from a film score newsletter I've never had contact with or even heard of before or since. It just appeared in my inbox the same day I found out and I have no idea how they/it/whatever got my email address. I don't put much stock in the supernatural or luck but I'd like to think theres something to that.

I wish I had the chance to tell her how I grew up on her music being stuck in my head instead of just trying to squeeze her for an interview. Not that what I had to say was important but I wish I had the chance to say something more important than what I did. I'm thankful that I got to talk to her albeit briefly and that even that much showed I was at least interested in her music, even if four years later, I don't think I'd be able to easily explain my love for it. I could write a very long, very bad essay about it all. And maybe this journal entry is exactly that.

But the story isn't all sadness, doubt and looking-at-your-feet-while-kicking-the-ground.

I've had the good fortune of since talking to other fans of her work and found out a lot of really enjoyable stories. About how open Shirley Walker was with fans and other composers, about how she was a major supporter of composer and musician's rights. About how she once invited a fan over just to talk and play piano and discuss Batman (this hearkens back to the old story of a fan cold-calling Basil Poledouris in the 80s and the composer inviting them over to dinner with his family). Or how I've since talked to several other composers from the DC Animated Universe series and found them to be some really lovely people - Lolita Ritmanis certainly carries Walkers's kindness and lust for life in her. And this time, I made sure to go out of my way to praise them the way I never got to with Shirley Walker. That doesn't "make up for it" - but it is something, I suppose.

The Cue Sheet, the Film Music Society's quarterly newsletter, put out a publication just for Shirley after she died (Vol 22, No 3, July 2007) thats full of remembrances and details and back story that I hadn't been privy to before. It ends with a picture of a plaque they put up on the Eastwood Scoring Stage, near similar acknowledgements for Richard Stone and Michael Kamen. For a person who was so long acknowledged as a forerunner for women in film, was the first woman to score a major Hollywood picture (what does that even *mean*?) and was long considered by other composers to be a secret weapon of sorts, she was so invisible that the Oscars skipped her in the memoriam the following year. But the plaque stands anyway, a memoir to a less-than-invisible woman.

YouTube Video

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [2] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #792]

Aug 31, 2010 - 07:14 AM
Where Are Your Knights, Donn Othna?
Where Are Your Knights, Donn Othna?
By Robert E Howard

Now that the kings have fallen,
Now that the gods have fled,
Now that the cities smolder
In a riot of ghastly red -

Where are your knights, Donn Othna?
Where the sword that was bright?
The skies are choked with ravens -
Where will you ride tonight?

"I left my knights in a valley
"Far and dim in the west;
"They were weary with endless battle,
"And I left them to their rest.

"We fed the hungry vultures
"When we rent the ranks apart,
"And I left my good sword broken
"In a sea-king's cruel heart.

"On a crimson couch and royal
"Each good knight lies asleep;
"They heed not the trumpet's clamor,
"Nor the night-wind's restless sweep.

"The hounds of Death ran howling,
"And red the rune they bade -
"I cannot wake my warriors,
"I cannot mend my blade.

"But there are shields unbroken
"And ravens yet to feed,
"And though deep-notched and crimson
"This axe will serve my need.

"East where the ravens gather,
"Where the death fires glimmer bright,
"Where the sea-kings roar and triumph,
"I ride alone tonight."

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (0 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #791]

Aug 15, 2010 - 02:37 AM
Antilamentation
Regret nothing. Not the cruel novels you read to the end just to find out who killed the cook. Not the insipid movies that made you cry in the dark, in spite of your intelligence, your sophistication. Not the lover you left quivering in a hotel parking lot, the one you beat to the punchline, the door, or the one who left you in your red dress and shoes, the ones that crimped your toes, don't regret those.

Not the nights you called god names and cursed your mother, sunk like a dog in the living room couch, chewing your nails and crushed by loneliness. You were meant to inhale those smoky nights over a bottle of flat beer, to sweep stuck onion rings across the dirty restaurant floor, to wear the frayed coat with its loose buttons, its pockets full of struck matches.

You've walked those streets a thousand times and still you end up here. Regret none of it, not one of the wasted days you wanted to know nothing, when the lights from the carnival rides were the only stars you believed in, loving them for their uselessness, not wanting to be saved.

You've traveled this far on the back of every mistake, ridden in dark-eyed and morose but calm as a house after the TV set has been pitched out the upstairs window. Harmless as a broken ax. Emptied of expectation. Relax. Don't bother remembering any of it. Let's stop here, under the lit sign on the corner, and watch all the people walk by.

(Dorianne Laux)

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [1] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #790]

Aug 12, 2010 - 03:07 PM
Arkham Asylum In Media Res Review
Lets start with my saying I wasn't particularly impressed with Arkham Asylum when I started it. I think its because the gadgets and the leveling up stuff really cripples the playing early on. Theres less to do, there seems less interesting or less clever things to do against your enemies.

I also really don't like the engine they use. Well, actually, maybe its not the engine so much as how they use it. Admittedly, DCAU is my be-all one-stop-shop for Batman. Like the song goes, "No one does it better". And truth be told the "edgy" looks of most of the characters look outright terrible, especially Harley Quinn and Ivy - but I think everyone agrees on that. I also wish they threw in some different looks for the random inmates. Everyone in Arkham is apparently full of jacked, perfectly sane criminals? Also, some of them look like Juggalos? Thankfully Joker and Batman look rather untouched so good on them for that much.

I also think that Arkham Island is a missed chance. Why couldn't they do a free-roaming Batman game? Spider-Man 3 might be a bit too big in scale but you could certainly make something like Crackdown instead of this HEY YOURE STUCK ON AN ISLAND EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE BATMAN and stuff.

Also: The music? There is none. Even the Hans Zimmer stuff would've been viable.

That said though, I'm having a lot more fun with it now. Right around when you start picking the spore samples out of Croc's lair things seemed to pick-up for me and the pace seems a little better instead of "clean out room, walk around empty places, find some stuff, clean out room, etc".

Heres a couple of random things I'd really like to see in the sequel:

1.) Batman should have access to a time machine. No, I'm kidding. What I really meant is that the badass "crash through skylight" takedowns and things like that should have a randomized reaction by other guards if they witness it. It would be too funny to be all SLOW MOTION CRASH and the guy who sees you do this piss himself in fear.

2.) Something a little more impressionistic and less literal? In case you want an idea The Batman Adventures from DC Comics is a perfect example. Not so much that its from DCAU's art design but how they featured Batman. I can't seem to find a picture from the issue but theres one where its four comic frames and all it is is Batman's face slowly fading into a dark corner. The second to last panel is him saying "ILL BE WAITING" and the last panel is just black. The botom of the page is everyone staring into the corner, not knowing where he disappeared to.

I guess thats me though. Thats a "romantic" notion instead of the hard, edgy, overly literal Chris Nolan view.

3.) More detective work, less fighting. Come on, this guy is suppose to be able to solve crimes and stuff. How about some stronger puzzle solving?

4.) VAMPIRE BATMAN

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (6 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #789]

Aug 9, 2010 - 08:12 PM
Died Laughing Forever
YouTube Video

What a fucking DORK

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (0 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #788]

Jul 23, 2010 - 03:36 PM
Inception
Grade: B / B+

Short Version: Inception is Christopher Nolan's dream of wanting to be Orson Welles and Solid Snake.

Nolan's movie is technically and narratively excellent but frustrating because some important elements are stolen from elsewhere..A lot of people seem overly impressed by it in the same fashion as Avatar; it's not some explosion of genius but simply well-managed card shuffling.

Long Version with Spoliers:
Spoiler:
Good acting from everyone but Ellen Page. She continues to be the worst actress working today. Her emotionless wide eyes and open pout would remind a Field And Stream staff writer of salmon spawning season. At least the girl in the Harry Potter movies wiggles her eyebrows when she talks. I wish Nolan would stop hiring pouting .brunette waifs for his movies: Carrie-Ann Moss, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Katie Holmes... Yes, we get it, man.

The story is good. Nothing wrong with it at all. Good structure, good timing and rhythm - but there's no emotional context. Despite barely interesting trickery showing Cobb's unconscious mind (An elevator? Really, Nolan?), you never give a shit about him or his past. DiCaprio fills the role of "faceless protagonist" the same way Keanu Reeves did in The Matrix, sans gnostic Christdom. As casting it's perfect since DiCaprio only goes through the motions and the audience can imprint themselves onto him like you would Master Chief in Halo. As acting, it's Leonardo DiCaprio not in Titanic.

The movie owes a lot to The Matrix. *A LOT*. Nevermind Joesph Gordon-Levitt spinning around or street-side explosions borrowed from a U2 video: the entire opening, the exposition on rules, the firearm use, the "turtles all the way down" structure of real versus unreal versus hyper-real. Nolan really, really must like The Matrix. Is this better? Eh, hard to say - the story is much less daring but built on a better support. There's way more to The Matrix (as in the single movie, not it's sequels) but that had the opportunity to be that way.

I wish Inception was less literal. For a movie about dreams, there's next to no surreal qualities to it aside from the use of time and some digital poster art of a ruined city on the sea. I get that the dream world has to convince the dreamer, but as anyone can tell you, dreams unto themselves aren't suppose to be real either. (I thought this was going to work out when they did an MC Escher trick but that only panned out in one shot.)

Frustrating is that the big moment at the end as the safe is opened is that the last two hours were just Citizen Kane. That was just incredibly lazy and I expected more. (I'm digesting the last shot of the movie. I get it but am not sure if I like it or not since it reminded me so much of the last shot of X-Men 3).

Still, huge improvement over The Dark Knight even if it didn't dare to be a little more. I'd write more but I'm on my phone.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (15 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #787]

Jul 23, 2010 - 06:44 AM
ITE: I Get Into A Twitter Pissing Match With One Of The Hosts Of MST3k
Spoiler:

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (14 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #786]

Jul 19, 2010 - 04:56 PM
Without Having Seen Inception, I Will Say This
Response to: INCEPTION by Wall Feces

In time, we're going to see a split between people who like Christopher Nolan movies and people who like Darren Aronofsky movies. Not to say you can't like (or dislike) both, but that its going to boil down to another Elvis / Beatles situation where you prefer one more than the other.

As it stands at the moment, I'm definitely siding with Darren Aronofsky. While Nolan is good at what he does (very subtle pastiche from superior material), I find him very literal in his result. His staging, his pacing, the motions in which characters go through. Its exceedingly literal and smart - but lacks the passion and intellectualism of Aronofsky.

I'm using the words smart and intellectual for a reason. "Smart" in this case denotes a certain amount of intelligence that makes Nolan's movies very good but very boxed up with a ribbon on it. Both Batman movies and Memento (I have not seen the rest of his material) are basically "turn on, tune in, drop out" without Timothy Leary's express LSD overtones. They're movies which you go in, marvel at what they have to say and how they say it and agree that its smart film making.

But do you feel anything from it?

I can't say I've heard anyone say they "liked" or "enjoyed" a Nolan film. Not because they're idiots but because they tend to be something of word experiments - Memento is basically a writing exercise to see how material can be broken up in a certain way to mean something else (Fight Club was the same thing as it was a writing experiment to use rules - a nonfiction application - in a fictional setting), The Dark Knight is Greek Tragedy played fast and loose (literally - Batman and Joker state their intents and motivations to the audience, the other people like Gordon and Alfred and the like are the Chorus). As good and well staged as the best of his material is, I find it incredible dispassionate and largely dull.

Aronofsky is an intellectual creator. That isn't to say thats better than smart but its a different way of thinking. Smart is about having accrued knowledge and using it and intellectualism is the pursuit of knowledge to no end. Aronofsky seems to be more interested in making the audience feel about something, be it the horrors of drug addiction, the terror of unlocking mathmatical genius or pursuing the love of a woman into eternity without explaining everything.

I guess what it boils down to is the old maxim "Questions Are Smart, Answers Are Stupid." In this case, Aronofsky is the question and Nolan attempts the answers (though I don't mean to denote that Nolan himself is stupid). It comes down to what you like: Do you like everything laid out for you or do you prefer to pursue the material yourself?

All that said, I'm dour about seeing Inception but will gladly hold off thumbing my nose at it since I've been wrong before. I hated The Sixth Sense (I'm literate and anyone who's been in 9th grade English should've gotten the twist in the first 5 minutes) and loved Unbreakable. And I love The Thin Red Line and Badlands... but am on the fence about Days Of Heaven and The New World.

And I do like to be proven wrong. I like to enjoy a movie. But in this case, Nolan is fighting with a stacked deck (Ellen Page, Nature's Cruelest Mistake!) and I still have a bitter taste in my mouth after Dark Knight.

So we'll see. I think I'll go see it on Friday.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [2] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (11 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #785]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Misogynyst Gynecologist's Journal