Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Rockgamer's Journal

Stuff.

Rockgamer's Journal Statistics
View Rockgamer's profile
Entries 386 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 0 entries are private (0% of total)
Views 136802
Replies Rockgamer has made 3260 comments [view stats]
Comments 2827 comments (7.32 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 83 props given to Rockgamer [who be proppin?]
Buddies 40 buddies
Relation You are not Rockgamer's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries
Mar 6, 2010 - 11:55 PM
Dirty Sexy Money is mentioned within this entry
Because I'm sure mentioning that will get everyone to read this entry.

Why is it mentioned? Keep reading to find out!

Parenthood - On the surface this show had all the makings of being something great, but unfortunately it's just not. It's another show about a large family like Modern Family or Brothers & Sisters, except unlike those shows it's just not good. Granted, I'll admit it's probably the most realistic out of these types of shows, but with that it also proves that realism doesn't necessarily make the show good. And despite being described as a comedy-drama, I failed to find a single thing in this show funny, so I have no idea where that tag came from (and I'm not saying the show tried to be funny and wasn't, I'm saying I did not notice at anytime that the show was trying to do anything comedic). The cast, while full of people I've seen before in other stuff, just doesn't work for me. Not even Peter Krause of Dirty Sexy Money fame could make this show good. I might be willing to give it another chance, but between being on at a terrible time (where I'm already watching three other shows) and already being behind on a number of good shows, I don't know when I'll find the time to do it.

And since I usually like to talk about more than one show in these things, I'll discuss a few more shows I've recently seen. They're not exactly new shows (none of the other new shows I plan on watching have started yet), but they definitely deserved to be mentioned.

Saving Grace - I initially never watched this show because it seemed like a knockoff of The Closer (well, they both star female police detectives with Southern accents, close enough), but when I saw that TNT was airing it from the beginning at 1AM a few months back I just randomly decided to give it a shot. To my surprise, it actually wasn't that bad, and eventually it became awesome. As a whole it's not as good as The Closer, but at the same time at least it's not really similar to it. The best thing about the show are the relationships between the different characters, as they all seem really close to one another. Most of the cases they handle aren't bad, but compared to other storylines going on they usually pale in comparison. It sucks that this upcoming season is its last (in a move you don't see very often, the production studio behind the show rather than the network decided to cancel the show), but I have full faith that the show will manage to end in a satisfying way.

Leverage - This show started airing in the same timeslot as Saving Grace was after they finished running through all its episodes, so I gave it a watch. I initially skipped over this show for no particular reason (I knew it was coming on, and even though I hadn't formed an opinion on it either way, I had just decided not to watch it) but that couldn't have been a bigger mistake. I would eventually keep seeing commercials for it and think that the show looked pretty cool, but I didn't want to watch it without having seen it from the beginning. So luckily they did choose to show it from the beginning in this timeslot, so I could see it and confirm that the show is fucking excellent. I've only seen about four episodes of it so far, but even during the first episode I realized how awesome this show was. The chemistry between the main characters (a group of modern day Robin Hoods with different specialties that pull off heists) was amazing from the first moment they all appeared onscreen together, and overall the show has the perfect mix of comedy and drama. I would without a doubt recommend the show to anybody.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (3 agents)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #366]

Feb 28, 2010 - 11:45 PM
Thanks GFF!
Response to: DO NOT TURN YOUR PS3 ON. by Philia

I got like five texts from Skills, a PM from Tritoch, and a message from Philia on my Backloggery page all warning me about the PS3 situation. Needless to say, this community is awesome.

Sony, obviously, is not.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (7 agents)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #365]

Feb 24, 2010 - 11:35 PM
For some unexplainable reason...
...I've been thinking about getting a DSi XL.

Now, I don't actually need this thing. I already have two DSes (an original DS and a Lite), and they both work perfectly fine. While the bigger screens would be nice, they're not really necessary, and it doesn't seem like that big of a difference like it was between the original and the Lite.

As for the DSi specific features, they're not really that great. DSiWare is mostly a load of shit, with a lot of the games just being chopped up versions of games you can already buy the full version of for cheaper. As of now there's only one game I can think of that I actually want (WarioWare: Snapped!), and maybe a few more I'd be willing to try. As for the camera, it seems pretty useless, aside from the few games that actually use it well (once again, WarioWare: Snapped!).

Also, the thing is only $10 less than a Wii, which is a system I don't own and could probably get more enjoyment out of than a new iteration of a system I already own. So in other words, there really is no real reason to get this thing, at least as of now. And yet, I'm still considering it.

So...

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 agents)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #364]

Feb 20, 2010 - 12:24 AM
Heavy Chocolate Rain
So I saw Heavy Rain on sale at Wal-Mart today, despite the game not being released until the 23rd. I thought about getting it just so I could act like one of those people who gets excited by getting a game before the street date (I'll never understand why people care about that shit), but then I remembered that I don't care about the game that much.

I did enjoy the demo more than I thought I would, but I'm still not convinced the game is nothing more than a series of QTEs like Indigo Prophecy was. Granted, it played a lot better than IP did (despite having an even more inticate control scheme), but when it comes down to it the gameplay was almost exactly the same. I was intrigued by the story though, so I can see myself picking it up on the cheap eventually.

Even if I did care enough to get the game, who knows if they would have actually sold it to me (though, since there was only one copy left, I'm assuming other people must have bought copies). Yeah, it is the same Wal-Mart where the old guy who can't count money works in the electronic department (and yes he still works there, so you all can quell your fears of me putting a grandpa out of work), so I probably could have got away with it, but it just wasn't worth the bother for this game. If it happens again for a game I actually care about I might give it a try.

Response entries:
It really is that easy... by Rockgamer

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (1 agents)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #363]

Feb 7, 2010 - 12:23 AM
ITE, I actually give praise to a show on The CW
Your eyes do not deceive you! I will actually say good things about a show that currently airs on The CW. Not only that, but I will also give praise to a Canadian show! Today I am full of surprises. But first, I have to talk about a crappy show, just because.

Blue Mountain State - There really are no redeeming qualities about this show. Thought I'd get that out of the way beforehand, so you can just skip over the rest of this paragraph. If you are still here for some reason, then I guess I'll go a little more in-depth. This is a comedy that airs on Spike TV about college football. Those things don't even sound good on paper, so needless to say the show is terrible in execution. This show is just fucking generic on every level, full of jokes you've already heard before and charcters that are clichéd to no end. Hell, the only person on this show that I've ever seen in anything else is the black dude from the early seasons of Smallville. I really can't think of any reason to recommend this show to anyone.

Republic of Doyle - This is the first time I've actually watched a new show on the recommendation of another GFF member, so first off I have to give thanks once again to Angel of Light. Admittedly Canadian shows aren't really on my radar (the only one I'm currently watching is Flashpoint), so there's probably little chance I would have actually watched this without him recommending it to me. But I'm glad he did, because this show is pretty damn awesome. The show is about a pair of father and son private investigators...in Canada! There's not really much to the basic premise, and admittedly the cases they take on can be hit or miss, but this show is worth watching just for all the characters in it. They all have some quirky, likable attributes that makes this show just plain damn fun to watch.

Life Unexpected - Here it is, the CW show I'm about to say good things about! But yes, despite how much I hate this fucking network, I will give them credit for managing to air one show that's not utter shit. It's really kinda hard to put this show in a nutshell, but I'll give it a shot. It's about a teenager who has spent her whole life in the foster care system reuniting with her birth parents who somehow (against her will) end up getting custody of her. That description may sound hokey, but if I get any more detailed I'll just be summarizing the entire first episode, so just trust me when I say it isn't. The pilot was definitely one of the most engaging episodes of any show I've watched all this season, which is a pretty big compliment considering not only how good some other shows have been this season, but also because it is just the first episode. If it manages to keep up this level of quality for the rest of the season, it could even surpass Glee as my favorite new show of this season, and if you know how much I love Glee then you know that's saying something.

It's just amazing how the show can switch from comedy to drama in such a believable fashion. The show had me on the verge of tears from both laughter and sadness. The characters are pretty good for the most part, and the main character Lux (okay, that is a pretty fucking stupid name after watching the second episode and knowing why she's named that it makes more sense now) in particular is a mature enough teenager to hold her own with the adults but still come off as a regular teenager (i.e. not some smarmy bitch like Juno). I have to give warning that the show is a feel good, slice of life family drama, so it probably won't be a show for everyone, but I'd say it's worth a watch to at least try to see if you like it.

So there you go. Enjoy it while you can CW, because it'll more than likely never happen again, and you'll have to endure my wrath stronger than ever if you do cancel this show.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (9 agents)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #362]

Jan 25, 2010 - 03:30 PM
So there were some midseason shows I watched...
It's that time of year when new shows start airing, either to replace ones that have already been cancelled or because something happened to them to make them missed their intended fall premiere. Here's my thoughts on the ones I've managed to watch so far.

Archer - FX is really hit or miss with their comedies, so while the commercials looked funny enough, I didn't go in to it too excited for it. If you don't know what this show is, it's an animated spy show parody from the same guy who made the Adult Swim show Frisky Dingo (a show I've never watched myself). Overall I didn't think the show was bad, but it wasn't really spectacular either. It was interesting enough to keep me watching though, and it has a pretty good cast for what it is. I'm not watching anything else at the time it airs, so I'll probably stick with it for the forseeable future.

The Deep End - Cue yet another generic legal show with a fun-loving group of young people fresh out of law school. I have to admit this show looked pretty terrible from the commercials (mainly because ABC kept showing commercials every five minutes and I had just gotten sick of it), but it wasn't that bad. Though honestly, the only real reason to keep watching this show is Tina Majorino, because she is awesome. I'm still kinda undecided if I want to keep watching it or not, but given that it premiered to pretty terrible ratings (it took over FlashForward's timeslot, which was getting way better ratings than the premiere for this show got) I may not even have to make that decision.

Human Target - Definitely the best show of this bunch. The show (based on a comic series I've never even heard of) is about Chistopher Chance, a bodyguard/detective type who helps his clients find out who's trying to kill them by putting his own life on the line. He's accompanied by his business partner/tech guy Winston and a mercenary type named Guerrero (by far the best character on the show, played expertly by Jackie Earle Haley). While the characters are likeable and there's lots of flashy action, there really isn't much substance there. Any attempts to give the main character any kind of worthwhile backstory fell flat in the pilot, and by its very nature the show is very episodic. That's not to say what's there isn't good, but don't expect anything more that the TV version of a popcorn movie.

In other TV happenings, shit is my TV schedule busy. There didn't seem to be a lot of shows cancelled from the first part of the season, so I'm still watching most of those along with these new shows and some returing shows that just came back this month (namely Chuck and 24). There are are quite a few days that have multiple shows airing at the same time that I have to deal with, which means it's hard to keep up to date on all of them. Certainly a good problem to be having (at least I'll probably always have something to watch), but still a problem.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (1 agents)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #361]

Dec 29, 2009 - 07:31 PM
Second Chance Avenue
Two shows that were effectively cancelled earlier this year are now making a comeback in 2010. NBC's Southland is now getting a second chance from the cable network TNT, and The Goode Family is now getting a second chance from Comedy Central. Neither of these second chances come with the guarantee of new episodes (though in the case of Southland, there will be new episodes airing, which I'll go into more detail about below), but just the fact that they were given another shot was probably already more than they could hope for.

The Goode Family aired on ABC earlier this Summer. That alone was already enough to get the show low ratings, but combined with changing days and timeslots it's no surprise that the ratings were pretty abysmal by the time all of the original episodes had finished airing. Of course, you could also blame the fact that the show was terrible (I thought so, anyway), but ABC is still at least partially to blame here. The show definitely seems like it'll be a better fit for Comedy Central (ABC is not exactly known for their animated sitcoms), but even with the proper programming and marketing from them I still can't see this show becoming that big of a hit (even by Comedy Central standards). I don't know exactly how high the ratings need to be for Comedy Central to actually order new episodes of the series, but I honestly just can't see it happening (even if it's ratings were on par with what it was getting on ABC, Comedy Central would still have much bigger hit shows that are probably way cheaper to produce than this one would be).

Southland, on the other hand, seems like it has a much better chance to be a hit by TNT standards. It actually started off with pretty good ratings when it first premiered on NBC, and though they had dipped by the end of the season, they were still good enough for NBC to renew the show for a second season. However, NBC ended up cancelling the show before any of those second season episodes ever aired, citing the show as being too dark for the 9:00pm EST timeslot (which I call bullshit on, since they re-aired some of the first season episodes over the summer at 8:00pm EST, which was two hours earlier than when they aired during their original broadcast). But luckily, TNT stepped in and announced that they acquired the rights to air both the first season episodes and the unaired second season episodes.

Just like The Goode Family on Comedy Central though, no new (TNT-produced) episodes will be made unless the show manages to get good ratings when it airs on TNT. But unlike The Goode Family, I think this is actually attainable, because if it matched the ratings it got on NBC then it would be doing pretty damn good by TNT standards, and also because the show is actually good (I never got around to properly talking about it in my journal, but trust me, you shouldn't be disappointed if you decide to give it a chance). Also in its favor is the fact that the show was basically made for cable standards in the first place, as the violence and profanity on the show was about on par with anything else you'd see on any other basic cable program of this type (they actually use words such as "fuck" and "shit" in the show, though obviously they were bleeped out since it aired on a broadcast network; I'm obviously hoping TNT will air it uncensored).

So yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens with these two shows in the new year. While what they're doing isn't exactly unprecedented (other shows have been brought back based on the strength of their performance on other networks), the way they're going about doing it is certainly different and worth taking a look at if it does indeed turn out to be successful.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (6 agents)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #360]

Dec 10, 2009 - 03:48 AM
Pretty much the last entry about TV I'll write for the rest of the year
I was bored, so I decided to write about a couple of new late night shows that premiered last month, and a new show that started this past Monday. Afterwards, I kinda wrap up the season so far, and talk about what's coming up during midseason.

Lopez Tonight - This is your typical late night talk show, with an opening monologue, a couple of guests, a few other segments to fill time, and a musical guest at the end. And like most other late night talk shows, how much you like it will mostly depend on how much you like the host. I think George Lopez is a pretty funny guy (while I never watched his sitcom while it originally aired, I have been watching it in syndication and I think it'spretty good), and while overall the show is pretty reflective of his humor, it doesn't save the show from being a bit boring. I watch it if there's someone interesting on there, but even then I usually only watch the repeat airing. There's just not enough there to keep me watching it night after night like I do with other late night shows.

The Wanda Sykes Show - If Lopez Tonight is your typical late night talk show, then this one is anything but typical. It does start off with an opening monologue, but after that it takes a much more casual approach. Wanda Sykes has segments where she chats with her friend/announcer Keith Robinson, shows pre-taped skits, gives her take on current hot topics, and finally, talks with her guests. This is done in a much different approach than other talk shows, as she has all three guests out at the same time, and doesn't really interview them as much as she discusses different issues with them. And everyone is drinking the whole time, because alcohol makes everything better. After that they all play a game (hosted by the show's resident drag queen Portia), and then the show ends.

So yeah, once again a lot of it depends on how much you like the host, and while I don't think Wanda Sykes is the funniest person ever, she manages to make some good jokes most of the time. Overall the show is alright, but it's probably a good thing that it only comes on once a week rather than every weeknight or else it'd probably be a bit tiring. And while it's a good enough show to watch late on a Saturday night, it doesn't hold a candle to the previous show that occupied the timeslot (MADtv), and it's not even as good as FOX's previous late night talk show effort (Talkshow with Spike Feresten).

Men of a Certain Age - The only background you really need about this show is that it's about three middle-aged best friends played by Ray Romano, Scott Bakula, and Andre Braugher. That's about all the background I had going into it, anyway. The show seemed funny enough based on the commercials, it's just unfortunate that those were about the only funny parts in the pilot. Now to be fair, the show is as much a comedy as it is a drama/slice of life-type of show, but you can't be blamed for having the impression that it'd be funnier based on the commercials and the fact that it stars Ray Romano. So overall, while the show wasn't terrible, it didn't really do much to wow me after this first episode. It does have the potential to get better though, so I'll probably stick with it for a bit longer.

So we're now coming to that time of the season where most shows are going on break, some just for the holidays, some for the rest of the season, and some permanently. So far I'd say this first half of the season has been alright, with some pretty good new shows premiering, and some older shows staying good or coming back to greatness after a lackluster previous season. If I had to pick three shows that really stood out this season, I'd have to go with Sons of Anarchy (the first season was pretty damn good, but this season was fucking amazing), Friday Night Lights (as I mentioned in a previous entry, it ended its last season in a way that could have totally ruined the show, but instead it managed to totally rejuvinate it for the better), and Glee (not only was this the best new show of the season, but after only 13 episodes it already rivals some of my favorite shows of all time for a spot on that list).

As for the upcoming midseason, it'll be good to have some of the old favorites return (24, Chuck, and the final season of Lost come to mind), but there aren't really that many new shows I'm looking forward to. The only one I've actually seen anything from is Human Target, since FOX is already running commercials for that, and that just looks okay (I'm not gonna lie, I thought it was a commercial for 24 when I first saw it, strangely not featuring Jack Bauer). Obviously I need to look more into them as midseason approaches, but as of now I'd wager my money that most of the good new shows have already premiered during this half of the season.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (5 agents)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #359]

Nov 12, 2009 - 12:22 PM
My day...it has been made.
Sequel to Hotel Dusk. Fuck yes.

Now let's just hope Nintendo gets their shit together and releases this here relatively quickly.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (7 agents)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #358]

Nov 7, 2009 - 11:06 PM
You thought it was over?
It's never over.

The League - For those that don't know (i.e. the lucky ones), this is an FX sitcom about a league of fantasy football players. I actually haven't seen much advertising for this show beyond a few commercials on FX (which is pretty fucking tame as far as promotion goes for FX), and I'm not surprised as to why this was the case. This show blows. I usually try to watch the entire first episode of a show before I decide whether I like it or not, but this show was so terrible that I just couldn't do it. My first attempt (yes, there were multiple attempts) to watch this show ended about three minutes in when I decided to watch the latest episode of Friday Night Lights instead (hey, at least it did get me in the mood for football, just from a totally different show). On my second attempt I made it to about six minutes in when I just couldn't stand it anymore and just turned it off. The show is just terrible. It's not funny, the cast isn't that great (what did you expect from a cast comprised of one of the stars of Cavemen and a regular from Best Week Ever?), and this may just be a personal thing, but I don't give a fuck about football in the first place, so of course I'm not gonna care about a show that focuses on fantasy football. Even if you do like football and even fantasy football, I still can't imagine why you'd like this show.

V - I guess I'll preface this by saying I've never seen the original V, so I can only say how much I liked this version based only on this version. That being said, I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't so enthralling that I can't wait to tune in next week to see what happens next, but I was intruiged enough to keep watching it for sure. The cast was pretty good, especially since I knew the majority of the main characters from at least one other show. Another thing I liked was the obvious influence from Scott Peters, as there were a few instances that just screamed The 4400 at me (other than the fact that the guy who played the main character from that show also plays one of the main characters on this show) even before I found out he was a producer on this show. So yeah, I'll definitely stick with it for now, though it certainly wasn't as spectacular as ABC would have you believe.

Secret Girlfriend - I'll just go ahead and admit right now that this show is nothing but a guilty pleasure for me. I'm not going to try to explain why I think it's good, or even say that it's good in the first place. I know I probably shouldn't like this show, yet for some reason I do. Maybe it's the whole 'you are the main character' thing, or maybe it's because of how goofy and juvenile it is, but for some reason I do find enjoyment in watching this show. The show got horrible reviews, and the ratings probably aren't all that great (then again, The Jeff Dunham Show was one of Comedy Central's highest rated premieres ever, so their audience obviously isn't the best judge of what's good or not), so I know it probably won't be on for much longer, but damnit I'll keep watching it for as long as it does air.

The Jeff Dunham Show - And speaking of this show, I checked it out too (mainly because it premiered at the same time as Fringe comes on, but Fringe wasn't airing that week). Now, I've caught a bit of some of Jeff Dunham's stand-up before and it didn't seem that bad, though for the life of me I couldn't figure out why he was as popular as he seemed to be. But that was his stand-up. His show, on the other hand, was fucking terrible. They pretty much assumed everyone was already familiar with all the characters, which I obviously wasn't (though that's probably a good thing, as they all suck). He also seemed to be reusing the same jokes over and over again. And let's face it, ventriloquism is a one-trick pony, so the fact that these puppets are acting on their own half the time pretty much makes them lose any appeal they could have had in the first place. Just don't watch.

In other TV-related news, I've been watching Dragon's Den on BBC America since ABC has stopped airing Shark Tank for now. It still has some of the same appeal as Shark Tank, but the British are just so fucking demure that it's hard to find it as interesting.

And speaking of shows that no one watches on a channel that no one cares about, I have to give a mention to Friday Night Lights, which has been amazing so far this season. Not to spoil things, but last season ended in a way that could have potentially ruined the show. They basically had to reboot the show this season (expected from a show set in high school which is now entering its fourth year, which they've already taken some liberties with in earlier seasons), but they did it in a way which created lots of awesome conflict and drama.

Of course, as I said earlier, it's on a channel that no one cares about, The 101 Network. I don't have this channel (it's only available to those who have DirecTV), so usually that means I won't watch a show, but I decided to make an exception this time. You see, this show originally premiered on NBC in 2006, but after its second season NBC made a deal with DirecTV to co-produce the series, giving them first crack at the new episodes. So basically, DirecTV gets to run the show in the fall like a normal series, while NBC can run them anytime after it finishes its run on The 101 Network. For season 3 NBC aired the episodes during midseason, so I had no problem waiting. But for this season, NBC isn't airing the eps until next summer, which is kinda ridiculous. Combine that with the fact that I've heard that NBC edits the episodes (it's obviously for time rather than content, though I can't see why since the episodes aren't really much longer than any other show on network television these days), and you can see why I'd rather just watch them now.

And there's some useless information for you.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (5 agents)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #357]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Rockgamer's Journal