Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Traveller87's Journal

Traveller87's Journal Statistics
View Traveller87's profile
Entries 31 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 4 entries are private (12.9% of total)
Views 8719
Replies Traveller87 has made 74 comments [view stats]
Comments 69 comments (2.23 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 3 props given to Traveller87 [who be proppin?]
Buddies 2 buddies
Relation You are not Traveller87's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries
Jan 9, 2009 - 12:19 AM
Evolutionary Attractiveness?
curious
Something rather interesting happened in my evolutionary psychology class today. We were talking about mating practices once again, why women are more inclined to prefer committment and high status in mates, and so forth. Some people strongly argued against evolution as the only explanation. A case was discussed about a guy with 14 girlfriends as an example that the exceptional can still be explained through evolution. Throughout the discussion, I noticed how the student sitting next to me got increasingly angrier with each minute, as he listened to (mostly female) students saying that most men would probably prefer multiple partners, if it were socially approved. Many agreed, some argued against it. Suddenly, the guy sitting next to me blurts out in a serious, passionate tone: "No! That is NOT true! I think most men believe that true intimacy and love can only be achieved through a trusting, monogamous relationship." (These were literally his words, I did not make it sound more eloquent here.)

This was followed by a moment of silence, during which you could immediately see all females in the room shifting their gaze to him. And I swear, a lot of them were thinking "I wish I had your phone number". His attractiveness rose immediately.
So much for evolution...

On another note, I am still in Canada, and still happy here overall. Spent Christmas in Oregon, had the greatest time ever...missing it dearly.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (12 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #27]

Dec 7, 2008 - 12:21 AM
Christmas Lights
thoughtful
I went Christmas shopping in town today (after I was done studying, of course), and the lights were really pretty. I love Christmas shopping, because you can shop without feeling guilty, because you're buying stuff for other people. Of course there's the consumerism associated with it, but I think a little consumerism won't hurt the damaged economy just now. And you can imagine whether people will like the presents or not, or what they would be happy about, and it's so nice to picture their reactions.

I also took the long bus back, rather than the quickest route, because that one goes via the 'Uplands' (rich people's area), and you can see all the huge houses/mansions with their Christmas lights. Very nice. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to live in such a huge house, but I don't think people are generally happier there. I just love looking at all the lights and families, and going to the beach at the moment, although I know it's a sad time for many people. Do people have Christmas lights up in your neighbourhood?

It's very sad to see all the homeless around Victoria - not just around this time of year, but at any time, really. I want to do something, but I don't know what. It also makes me realize that so much of the magic I miss, the magic I grew up with, was a middle class privilege.

I am lucky to have people I care about in my life, I know that. But sometimes, I do feel lonely being in another country. The whole not going home for Christmas thing makes it a bit more difficult around this time of year. I am here by choice, though, so I've got nothing to complain about. In any case, I know I don't really miss home that much, because a great part of me doesn't feel at home there anymore. Just haven't found the substitute yet, really. I don't know where I'll be two years from now, or who will be alive two years from now, and that's a frightening thought.

There's a certain ambivalence there that I think we all feel from time to time. Christmas lights are pretty, but at the same time, they give me that tight feeling inside, almost like homesickness, and I haven't felt homesick in a very long time. I don't know what I miss, really. Maybe certain people. Maybe things that can never be the same way again - although, would I want them to? Maybe a feeling that some things are special and magical. But they are not. There is no Christkind, no Father Christmas, no Santa Clause, no P`ere Noel, no Easter Bunny, no hidden treasure on an island, no Enid Blyton adventures, no Hogwarts, no God.

I suppose we all must grow up sometime.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (0 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #26]

Aug 25, 2008 - 06:47 PM
Happy Birthday to me!
I can now drink, gamble and go to strip clubs in every country. Hooray. I am officially old.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (5 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #25]

Jul 6, 2008 - 10:44 AM
Thoughts
I often wonder what writing does for me, or what it could do, if I actually did it regularly. It wouldn't be a career or anything like that. So what is it? Some sort of catharsis? Maybe. Fun? Not really. A way to have an achievement to be pleased about? Don't know.

I also wonder why I don't write here, in this country, or hardly. Why it's so hard. Perhaps things are too down-to-earth here, or maybe I'm just too busy (considering that I spend my evenings watching TV, I wouldn't think so). I'm just pretty much tired after I get off work, and don't really use my brain anymore. But it's strange how I suddenly don't have any more ideas.

I wonder if writing can make things better by giving you something to do and giving you an outlet, or if it makes it worse by making you dwell on things (then again, what if you tend to dwell on them, anyway?).

I wonder why I'm so immature when I live at home, during the break. Why I act so not like 20.

I wonder if I could ever do anything with my degree, which I'll have in two years. Am I really that grown-up? I don't know why, but I get increasingly unsure about my course, rather than more certain in what I want to do.

I wonder if I will ever fall in love.

I wonder where I'll end up in two years. I still haven't decided yet, and I don't know if I'll ever be able to make that choice. I can't stay here. I can't stay there. I have to stay here. I don't want to. But I don't want to go somewhere else, either, if it's the wrong thing to do.

I wonder if I'll ever be able to deal with the fact that everyone dies, and that my mother, too, will die.

I wonder if I'll ever develop the competence I need to get with bank things, insurance things, tax things, etc.

I wonder if I'll ever know "right, now I'm an adult". Because at the moment, I feel confused and scared, and I don't have a clue where I'm going, which is something I'm not used to. I've always had a plan.

I wonder how I'll get out of bed tomorrow, knowing that it will be Monday, the beginning of another week.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (0 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #24]

May 21, 2008 - 02:52 PM
The Smell of Resin - Chapter 1 Preview
nervous
absurd
mid 16th cent.: from Latin ‘absurdus’ – out of tune, hence irrational; related to ‘surdus’ – deaf, dull

I.

For as long as I can think back, all I have longed to be is a ghost. Ghosts appear solid at first glance, but if you get a closer look, you can see that they are actually transparent, that objects can pass through them without doing any harm. Nothing touches them. A ghost is not alive, but not dead, either. Not quite. It floats freely, with no concept of permanence except for that of its own existence.

Sounds fancy, doesn’t it? But who believes in ghost stories, anyway. They’re kind of like Santa Clause – non-existent, but wouldn’t it be awesome if you met one? No, by now, it should be pretty clear that there is no such thing, and that God, if there is one, doesn’t throw a lightning down from his holy throne if something doesn’t please him (and why is it a ‘him’, anyway?). Like you always said, ‘stop bullshitting me, Nat – grow up’. Jeez, aren’t we philosophical today?

You’re probably wondering why I’m writing this by now. I’m not sure, to be honest. We have to write an essay about Sartre’s concept of absurdity for French –no idea what that has to do with the language, anyway- and somehow, that made me think of you. Do you remember how Mom used to freak out over things like a messy kitchen, whenever Dad blew up on her? She’d explain later that if our house were tidier, all of us would be more ‘balanced’. Or that if we ate less unhealthy food, we wouldn’t be so spoiled and overfed, and therefore wouldn’t let unnecessary frustration out on her. She always got to be the victim. That’s what ‘absurdity’ means to me.

You see, I should be doing my French homework right now, but sometimes, the thoughts just come too quickly, too intensely. I can’t hold on to them, because they keep me from doing ‘important’ things. I can’t let them go because I’m afraid to lose them. That’s why I write. Writing makes sense of things; it keeps me sane. At the same time, though, it’s so hard to give things that sense, that structure. Words are not enough, they’ll never be enough. What is a moment, by definition, other than something that passes? More, so much more. But can you ever truly write a moment? You see, time, it doesn’t pass, it keeps jumping backwards and forwards, stopping and accelerating. I don’t know where to start, or what to tell you. Everything. Nothing.

All I can give you are fragments. Like our cave. I think that’s a good place to start, something you’ll understand. Do you remember how we used to go there every day after school? Of course. But do you remember the smell, Rae, that fresh, rough wooden mixture of tiny flowers and that little something else that we could never really guess? I do. Every detail. And I so wish I didn’t.

We left Washington, you know, to forget. Dad, being the all-or-nothing guy he is, didn’t think we would be able to do that in Oregon, or California, or even bloody Alaska. Nope, it had to be the other end of the world, and since the Aussies weren’t too keen on having some more we-rule-the-world Americans around, the other end of the Northern hemisphere had to do. Bonnie Scotland. Yeah, feel free to have a good laugh there. We’re in the land of the kilts and the bagpipes. And the sad thing is: It’s not even a cliché. No judgement.

Admittedly, I didn’t understand a word when we first moved here. My theory is that their Scottish-speak doesn’t really have much to do with English at all; the government made that up to promote ‘unity’ or something like that. You think I could publish a book on that? Probably.

When we first moved into that definitely-not-posh brick neighbourhood, and I was forced to meet the neighbours at some point (the ones who didn’t live in council housing, of course, we still had some snobbishness left), I was in complete smile-and-nod mode. It only took me a few days to figure out that ‘aye’ is actually still in use, before I could move on to the joys of ‘I can’t be arsed’, and finally understood that animal names generally refer to me. You know, ‘pet’, ‘hen’, ‘lassie’, the whole range. I can really picture your face here.

My first bus ride went somewhat like this:
Driver: ‘Student card, please.’
Me: ‘Uh…sorry?’
Him: ‘Your student card, hen.’
Me: nods, still unsure what the hell he’s talking about.

Yep, I’m sure I made a great impression on the other people on that bus. (‘Not another fat, stupid American!’) The same sort of stuff happened to Mom, although she hardly left the new house during those first few months, not even to go to Tesco’s. I did most of the shopping then, although I really didn’t give a shit what we ate.

The night before my first day of school was hell. You know me, always worrying, a complete chicken. Ironically, it was a good day for Mom. She got up with me and made breakfast, even made me eat something. Although the buttered toast did make me choke at seven in the morning, that sure was something. She smiled and said it would be fine, that as a stranger from another country, I would automatically be interesting. A part of me believed her, wanted to believe her, after all, people are strangely fascinated by the unfamiliar, by anything that could possibly entertain them, any distraction from their own grey lives.

But let’s look at the facts: A foreigner with a dumb accent. An American. Fat. Kind of quiet. Among thirteen-year-olds? Hell yeah, I was popular right away! So popular, in fact, that I got to be the new target for paper balls, paper clips, and various non-paper-y items right away.

From the second I entered that 1970s concrete building, I got the feeling that everyone was staring at me, measuring me. Yes, I know that a part of it only happened in my mind, that the eyes of the world aren’t always on me, but I couldn’t help being paranoid. Mom and me had gone to four different stores to find affordable school clothes that fit me without making me look like a complete idiot, but she still claimed that the blouse I got was ‘disadvantageous’ for my figure. She would rather have dressed me in a tent, and believe me, it would have looked better.

Mrs. Galloway, the English teacher, introduced me as a new student from Washington (‘the state, not the city’), telling the class to lend me their notes, point me in the right direction if I got lost, and just generally be nice to me. She was all right, really, an enthusiastic teacher who was even interested in the stuff she told us. It wasn’t entirely her fault that the class did whatever they wanted, wrecking her nerves by October. All she wanted to do was to teach us something, and that’s fair enough, isn’t it? Being cruel in a hideous way that the parents wouldn’t be able to pin her down for, and keeping us kids in line that way, really wasn’t her strength. I liked her.

By the time we were concentrating on the different sonnet forms again, I heard a few girls giggle behind me. It’s the worst thing, sensing that somebody is laughing at you, but not knowing it for sure, being unable to do something about it. That uncertainty follows you around, makes you insecure, keeps you from doing things you should or could do, shuts you up until you’re almost mute. When I did throw a quick glance behind me, I saw a thin, tall brunette with braces, who I later learned to be Sarah Laverock, whispering something to her neighbour. The other girl was looking at me and laughed again. I never found out what it was they were saying about me. It must have been pretty bad, if they thought it was so funny.

There they were with their high-pitched girl laugh, and I was their joke. I don’t know if you remember that feeling. To be honest, I don’t know if you would have cared if it had happened to you. Then again, of course it wouldn’t have happened to you in the first place. You always seemed so confident, so don’t-mess-with-me-bitch, that I doubt anyone would have dared. Also, you weren’t Miss Piggy. But at that moment, I was thinking of you, missing you. Wishing you could be there, talk to me about it, laugh at them with me, tell me that they were pathetic little princesses, who couldn’t go for a pee without their best friend holding their hand.

On my way to geography, I finally found someone who didn’t look at me like I was an alien. Actually, he didn’t look at me at all, since he was too busy learning something about the former Soviet Union’s agriculture. After a minute or two of subtle staring, I found the courage to speed up my pace and started walking next to him.

‘Hi.’
He only glanced up for a second, readjusting his glasses. His face was pimply and his black, flat Beatle hair needed a cut badly, but behind his specs, I could make out the most amazing hazel eyes. Soft, but still inquiring. Like he was seeing something, not gazing at it, but actually seeing. ‘Hi.’
‘I’m Natalie. Nat.’
‘Stuart’ he mumbled.
‘I’m new here.’
‘I know.’
‘Yeah. Um, I was wondering if I could borrow your algebra notes.’
‘Sure.’ He didn’t look for them, but just went back to studying the contents of his folder.
‘Do you like geography?’ How forced, how desperate.
He just shrugged. ‘It can be interesting.’
‘I like travelling.’ There was a short pause. Apparently, he had nothing to say on the subject. Travelling, seeing the world, how boring! ‘So…where do you live?’
‘Cornton Road, about ten minutes from here.’
‘Ah. You like it there?’
He shot me one of those ‘you’re weird’ looks. ‘No.’

I was lucky the bell rang a few seconds later and saved me from my verbal incompetence. I didn’t end up sitting next to Stuart. These half-hearted attempts to corner an outsider ended soon, and after a while, I just tried to be invisible. You know, walking close to the wall with your head down, blending in with dark, baggy clothes, making no sound. Sometimes it works, more often not, but it’s better than standing out. I got over my embarrassment at always being alone when everyone was standing around in groups by taking a book everywhere I went. That way, I ended up making it through A Clear Light of Day, Heart of Darkness and Midnight’s Children before my fourteenth birthday. Not the typical girl books, and no, Mom wasn’t too pleased, as you can imagine. She kept giving me these awful teen books for my birthdays for years, with titles like Britney’s First Kiss, Summer Love, etc. Never read them. I tried, really, but the first five pages usually did the job.

My books, though, mine were different. I don’t know what it is about them, what draws me to them, but they are so clear, so alive. Every sentence crawls through you and pulls you along with it. Most of all, they make you feel something. In all their beauty and ugliness, there’s something there. It’s not always realistic, but sometimes more real than life itself. They bring clarity. I need to be very clear.

You know, a lot of the time, when things don’t make sense, I imagine that I’m just an actress on a stage or in a film. Nothing’s real, it’s all just a big play, and I’m the lead, the centre of everything. It is my performance that is constantly being evaluated, my performance that matters in everything. Am I doing the right thing? What would the audience say about it? Am I showing the right expression of emotion? Does my life make a good story? Am I doing the right thing? And I know it’s not true, of course I know that, but sometimes, it’s hard to stop pretending, because it’s what keeps me going, and because I’ve been doing it for so long. Years of pretence. Without that stage, I wouldn’t know what to do, what to think, what to want. I would be alone.

I can’t believe I’m telling you that. It’s pathetic. You used to make fun of religious people all the time, but what if we are all somewhat dependent on something like that, some little bit of magic to make our life matter? It’s hard to get over the loneliness sometimes, the insignificance. Imagining that characters from a book are watching you, or that people you know are watching you on film – is that really so crazy? And if it is, aren’t we all a little crazy? God or Dumbledore, grandma or Gandalf, does it really matter?

It was hard back then, too, with the loneliness. I think that’s how this whole thing started. It was hard not to know anyone who knew. Just going to school every day, pretending that everything was fine, that the greatest problem in life is ‘does Jake like me or not’. I hated them so much, these girls with the eye shadow and the sparkly bracelets, who would giggle in groups and discuss where to go out on a Friday night. I hated them, and at the same time, I would have traded with them in an instant.

Once, soon after I started school in Scotland, I told one of them exactly what had happened, just totally calm and down to earth. She must have thought I was the biggest creep ever. I don’t know why I did it. My head was hurting, and I felt like clawing at my own skin, like I would explode if I didn’t do something. I guess I just wanted to see her reaction. You know what she said? ‘Oh…seriously? Wow, that sucks.’

I remember how tired I felt after my first day at school, how sick of people. All of the new impressions can make you dizzy. They blur into a haze of colours, which is far, far away. It’s like watching a silent movie.

On the bus, I sat by myself, putting my black bag down next to me so nobody would feel invited. I stared out the window, which grew damp under my breath. Tree. Meadow. Rain. Grey sky. Meadow. Sheep. Brown houses. Grey, green, brown, grey, brown. For some reason I recall these impressions very clearly. I remember how I made up a story, as you do when you get bored. This wasn’t a school bus, it was actually taking us out into the woods. The bus driver was a psychopath, that had to be it, he would drive us out into the middle of nowhere, trying to slaughter each and every one of us kids. What a pervert. He would kill the boys first, slitting their throats. The girls he would keep, until he had drunk in every bit of their fear, sucked it out of them. But we were smarter, we would escape. I don’t know how. The rest of it has slipped from my memory. It was all very foreign and unreal, like a third-person narrative: ‘Nathalie was sitting on the bus, watching the grey, hopeless autumn sky fly by. Suddenly, it stopped…’ Guess what, it turned out that the bus driver wasn’t a psycho after all. He was just an old guy with a beer belly, who liked to chew gum. He would grunt an annoyed ‘student card?’ at the loud crowd every day, although he knew them. Nothing happened. Nathalie just drove home.

The house was silent when I arrived. I dropped my bag in the corridor, took off my scarf, school blazer and clogs, and slurped into the kitchen. The first thing that hit me was the smell – a mixture of sour spices with something else, something old, like cold grease left to dry up in a frying pan. It had to be from the chicken Mom had cooked a couple of days before. The old plates, pots and pans were still stacked everywhere in unstable towers, with left-overs stuck to them. A plastic shopping bag was dangling from a drawer, as it was being used for lack of a bin. And still, the floor was littered with paper napkins and bread crumbs. When I accidentally brushed against the bag, a swarm of flies burst out, hovering above it, suspended in the air. The kitchen turned me into something small, powerless. There was no beginning, no end in sight. Just work.

In the living room, I discovered Mom lying on our new, uncomfortable couch, fast asleep. One of her arms was dangling from the sofa, nearly touching the floor. Her mouth was open, with small breathing noises coming out of it. Not snoring, just breathing. Not dead, but sleeping. An empty yogurt cup was lying on the table, having tipped over from the weight of the spoon.

I stomped over to the sofa, and turned on the TV without consideration. I wanted to wake her up, shake her, make her come back to me. Mom, my first day sucked. Mom, I don’t get half of what the teachers are talking about. Mom, the guys in my class are a bunch of pricks, and the girls bitches. I want to go home, Mom. Come back to me. Come back to me, please.

I turned up the volume, but didn’t listen. On screen, some kids were pretending to be war evacuees or something like that. One girl about my age was extending her arm carefully, and started screaming when a cow began to lick her hand.

Mom opened her eyes. For a moment, I thought she didn’t recognise me. ‘Hi, honey’ she muttered quietly.
‘Hi.’ Her face looked wrinkled and sleepy. Old. I don’t know why, but nothing pisses me off as much as her acting old-ish. It’s weak. Weakness is despicable. I wanted to grab her shoulders and shake her, shake her hard. Dig my nails in. Get a grip, stop being such a wimp! Get on with it, toughen up a little, don’t show it so everyone can see. Don’t act it out. We don’t cry, we don’t lose; nothing less that perfect will be tolerated in his house. Don’t you dare screw it up. Beat them all, hurt them all, but don’t show them your inside. Beat them. Fuck you, God! (Back then, I still believed. Not anymore, though, I don’t. I don’t. I don’t.)

‘How was school?’
‘Fine.’
‘Did you meet any nice people?’
‘No.’
The corners of her mouth actually dropped a bit. ‘Make an effort, Natalie. It’s important.’
Gee, Mom, really? ‘I did!’
‘I’m just saying. I don’t want you to become a loner again. You need to try harder. How are your classes?’
‘I don’t know. Hard.’
‘Your teachers?’
‘Okay, I guess.’

She sighed. ‘So what did you do today?’
I started to tell her about my chemistry lab, but after the first two sentences, she had spaced out again. Her eyes were unfocused, staring straight ahead, her jaw tense, her expression grim. I was half expecting her to start humming and snapping her fingers again any second.
‘Mom!’
‘Hmm-mmh?’ Her jaw remained locked, her face unchanged. I could have said anything; she wouldn’t have heard me.
I turned off the TV and got up. ‘I have homework to do.’

The homework, however, remained unfinished that evening. I found myself re-reading the same sentences over and over again without grasping their meaning. And although I kept staring out the window, I somehow missed the sunset. It just went from light grey to dark grey, to black. Then again, I suppose you can’t see the sunset through a drizzle.

~

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #23]

May 11, 2008 - 05:01 PM
The Bus Service on Sunday sucks...

...and I sure as hell am not spending another 50 minutes walking back to the flat from uni, as I've already walked here and back once today. As I came out of the cinema, the bus just left, leaving me with - well, no bus for another half an hour (no drama, I know). So I'm sitting in this computer lab, very bored. I dislike wasting time, although I did enjoy going to see Walk the Line (again) by myself. The movie is still good. My friend was going to go see it with me, but alas, she changed her mind again (what's new). So I had a date with myself, which was pretty good.

Other than that, life is fine, whatever that means. Exams are okay (two more to go), work at the kids' club is great, friendships are strained but all right (we are ready for a break from one another), Canada is something to look forward to and frustrating to plan because no one ever gets back to you on questions/applications.

The only thing that is starting to bug me a bit is going home on the 1st of June. I know it will be okay, and I've got my Canada mantra in my head, but still, I always get a little nervous before, there's always that "oh no, going back to Germany..." anxiety. Here, if something happens at home, if someone says something, it hurts, and it upsets me...but in the end, it will always be a few hundred miles away, there will always be that distance, that "right, that's what Mom is saying, but I'm doing what I want here". Home, my life here quickly crumbles to bits and becomes meaningless, unreal, almost. It's as if I know that really, this is just some joyride, some intermission before the serious "real life" starts, where you jsut do what you have to do, no matter how unhappy it makes you. Where all this doesn't matter. Where I'm a failure who lets family down.

The thing is that every time you go away, it splits you up a little more. Every time you go somewhere new, you leave a little piece of yourself there, and you get more confused. But...we'll see, I guess.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #22]

May 3, 2008 - 04:36 PM
Exams, end of semester stuff, life
okay
Things have been going okay lately. My first final exam is on Tuesday, and I'm getting very sick of the topics this semester, of stats and all that brain and behaviour stuff. There's things that I don't want to learn anymore, things that I don't feel I need to be reminded of all the time. This semester has been a frustrating experience in general, but that's not just me, that seems to be the general consensus among all psychology students. The modules weren't very well organised, but difficult and there were some things going on that weren't exactly fair in the way it was conducted. But oh well, it's almost over. It felt very excruciating, and I'm glad that my classes are all done now - no more classes in Stirling until September 2009, yay!

Exams are freaking me out right now, but I just finished my painful Jefferson transcription of a 4-minute interview between Ali G. and Tony Bennett (hell to transcribe marking every little change in pitch, speed, overlapping speech, etc.)! So that's the last piece of hand-in assessment done. Now I only need to get through two stats and one Brain and Behaviour - Clinical Perspectives exam - the latter is multiple choice, fortunately. I feel like stats has kept me from studying properly for Brain and Behaviour, although I have been taking notes on the insane amount of material and all that. It'll be fine. Hopefully. As long as it's over. I wouldn't care so much if it weren't for the tiny condition that my going to Canada depends on me getting grades that are above a 2C. Never got anything below a 2C, but who knows, this might just be the perfect (WRONG!) time for it.

Need to stop talking myself into anxiety here. It'll get done. Less than four weeks of work at the kids club left, and I will miss some of the children, as I've realised. Student ambassador-ing, German lessons, English tutoring and all that I will not miss particularly, although it was money, and money is always good. I like money. Especially since I'm still a bit in trouble about the financial aspect of next year, which I still have to figure out. Basically, I will be getting the same amount of money from the state and a bit from my mother (although I hate taking that), but that won't cover the estimated costs of living there. My study permit won't allow me to get a job outside of the campus in Victoria, and I'm not counting on on campus jobs rendering huge sums of cash. So it's all savings, which have to be scraped together, transferred internationally, and so forth. The conversion between this currency and that and the third one is driving me crazy. I hate the bureaucracy with all the troubles I've had with the bank here and the bank in Germany, the government, insurance companies, etc. But that's just life.

And with all of this, I shouldn't lose sight of the important thing: If all goes well, I'll go to Canada next year! I WILL go to Canada next year! I'll be away from rainy, grey and depressing (and beautiful, beloved) Scotland, and even further from Germany. And I love the thought of that, the chance I'm getting here, the opportunity it provides. I'm lucky.

The only (other) thing I'm worried about is my family, of course. It doesn't make that much of a difference to them whether I'm in Scotland or Canada, I suppose -either way, I'm not in Germany- but I'm worried that if I'm so far away, the psychological distance will increase and I'll lose sight of their well-being. I have this deep fear that something will happen to my mom next year. That she might...while I'm away. I know there isn't some sort of supernatural connection, but in the past, me going away has always led to bad things happening in my family. It's as if I'm sacrificing them to follow my selfish desires. I want to protect them. I want to make it all better for them, as we all do, but I also see that I'm not improving life for them even when I am in Germany. I will always be a disappointment. (And a trophy in certain contexts, but mainly, a disappointment.) And I also know that if I'd stayed in Germany, I wouldn't have gotten through this.

But I'm happy now, sort of. There's good days and bad days, as with everyone, but for the most part, I'm really okay with the way things are. And excited for Canada!

Okay, I have to go research interest rates =/ (ugh) for my mom now.

Bye.

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #21]

May 1, 2008 - 11:33 AM
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - best film of the year

Actually, it is among the best, most honest films I have ever seen. The fact that Jean-Dominique Bauby managed to dictate his story by blinking one eye in itself is amazing, but more so is the story itself and the way it is told on screen. Very sad and truly emotionally draining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G69Zh7YIg8c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrOB-E1lVBQ&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMzQN...35E295&index=3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKVPV...eature=related

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #20]

Apr 26, 2008 - 05:18 PM
Taking Lord of the Rings too seriously

Is it normal to start crying during the part where Gandalf says "I will not say do not cry, for not all tears are an evil" (or something like that)? And to feel yourself choking up in the conversation between him and Pippin in Minas Tirith before, when Gandalf explains his vision of death to him and the Hobbit replies "that doesn't sound so bad"?

Is it possible to be too sentimental to watch a harmless film like Lord of the Rings?

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #19]

Apr 21, 2008 - 04:50 PM
No Valediction
cathartic

But I wanted to say goodbye to Daddy!

But I wanted to say goodbye to Daddy.

That was what she had said. Or sobbed into the phone, over and over again. But-I-wan-ted-to-say-good-bye. And if she wanted it, she had to get it. That was all there was to it. He couldn’t have d…he couldn’t have d…he couldn’t have disappeared before that. She refused to acknowledge it. At sixteen, she, her youngest, was too old for this. Too young for this.

And what was she to tell her? Two years, that was what the doctors had said. A few months had been the worst estimate from a physician ‘friend’, who had quickly been shunned for even saying such a thing. What was she to tell her baby? What was she to explain in the hardest phone call of her life? How could Mum just change it around?

This wasn’t how it was supposed to happen. This wasn’t the right procedure. This was all wrong. She had prepared herself for the end, had picked out what she would take to the hospital, the music, the expensive lotion that was supposed to prevent more necrotic wounds. She would have been loving, would have done everything a wife could possibly do, been everything a human being could possibly be. The loneliness of his d… was what she couldn’t stand. The thought of him alone, falling asleep forever in a room full of strangers. Alone. Alone forever. She should have stayed. She should have defied the nurses and stayed. She should have taken some of the pain on herself. A good wife would have.

How could she even dare to say, to think that? She hadn’t been there! Who had been taking care of him, who had been there day and night, day and night, scrubbing urine from the floor, begging him to swallow the pills, placing a feeding cup at his lips even when half of it ran down his chin, trying to turn a 200 pound man –shrunk as he was- loving him, finally falling in love with this new vulnerability, talking of second chances, making up absurd fantasies to preserve his hopes? Not her spoiled little one! Those who should have helped her had yelled at him, hurt him more, yelled at her, made it all more complicated. Those who should have been there had left her.

Stop, Dad, stop that, I know you can, don’t act crazy! Don’t act fucking insane! See, here, just take the bread into your hands –there- and now we put it up to your mouth, no circular movements. Well done - no! Stop it! Stop being an idiot!

Please get up, oh please, just get up, Daddy. Just get up, I know you can. I’ll help you, see, I’ve got you, but you need to help me…just move your legs. We’ll do this together. Come on, right leg, left leg. You’re too heavy, move your legs, now! Why are you doing this to me? Why are you being such a stubborn ass? Come on, move your legs! Please…please…

He hadn’t deserved that. And what on earth had she done to deserve this? Why was it that it was her who would be going to her daughter’s graduation alone, her who wouldn’t get to enjoy her retirement with a partner, her who wouldn’t get a future? No second chances – this was it. It had all been a lie. Why had her care not been enough? Should she have consulted a different specialist, sold the house to fly to America? Why had the doctors done this, why had they lied to her? Why had these bastards belittled her, why humiliated him over and over and over again?

But I wanted to say goodbye to Daddy. The sentence followed her into her dreams. The wrongness, the finality, the unchangeability of things. Her own powerlessness. No tearful embraces, no closure. And her baby, her innocent girl who she didn’t know what to do with. Who she didn’t know what to say to. Who she sometimes hated, but mostly just wanted to protect. Who she would have to be everything for, now that he had d… .

It wasn’t much she had asked for. All she had wanted was a simple farewell.

Goodbye, Daddy.

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #18]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Traveller87's Journal