Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
i am good at jokes's Journal

Journal Banner

i am good at jokes's Journal Statistics
View i am good at jokes's profile
Entries 55 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 10 entries are private (18.18% of total)
Views 28988
Replies i am good at jokes has made 257 comments [view last 20]
Comments 195 comments (3.55 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 92 props given to i am good at jokes [who be proppin]
Buddies 27 buddies
Relation You are not i am good at jokes's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal Entry [Viewing All Entries]
Jun 15, 2016 - 08:40 PM
Meet people
I sure hope you aren't having the dirgey weather we've been having the last few weeks over in Maine, but I imagine it can't be that far off :-/. Apparently it's supposed to get real sunny and warm over the weekend! Miss you guys.

Also I am still alive, have mostly been reading books about brains when I have not been filing (now with more files).

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [5] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (3 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #45]

Jun 23, 2015 - 10:08 PM
Regarding Meet
I left things kind of hanging in the air when I left and was hardly able to vocalize anything that morning, because I was feeling extremely disappointed in myself and just could not find any words to describe it. I wish I could have done this in person, but the way I had behaved the days prior just made me feel it would be best if I allowed the proceedings to be on their way and take some time to face myself and reflect on what I had done. I was also not in top shape as can be imagined and I had a long road ahead. I’m really sorry to the people I didn’t get a chance to say goodbye to, please don’t take it as me not wanting to see you before I left, because that is so very far from the truth.

To get to the heart of the matter, all I really want to say is this:

I’m sorry.

I’m sorry I let you guys down and caused damage to what was such an awesome event, where everyone had brought their very best after so much planning and anticipation. I can’t begin to say how reflecting back on it I see that I was so extremely obtuse and unmanageable by the end of my stay that I’m frankly surprised action was not taken sooner.

I also want to say thank you to the guys for being extremely considerate and showing a great deal of emotional maturity in the way they approached me to let me know that I couldn’t keep going the way I was. You handled yourselves with extreme restraint considering how far gone I was, especially after most of you had actually tried to get through to me in more subtle manners beforehand. Your actions helped to level me out in a way that made me understand how things could not keep going on the course they had been, without causing any undue psychological strain. Was I shocked and saddened? Yes, of course, but that was on me for having been like that. Again, thank you for having shown that amount of courage and respect, even when I was lacking in both.

Some folks have shared that there is some concern regarding my well being, and although it is of great comfort to hear, please don’t worry. I am incredibly fortunate to have a lot of people around me who have been trying to get me to change my outlook on things, and I just hadn’t been paying attention to them as was warranted. That stops now. After I got back from Maine and took the proper time to recover from the abuse I subjected myself to, I’ve been reaching out to and engaging with my family and friends, to try and get involved in things again outside of work. My attitude towards smoking has flipped around again, I know I need to work at quitting, and at the very least cut down substantially on the drinking. I also finally have my own place again now, in which I am feeling more and more comfortable already, and which is geographically much closer to work and friends.

If anyone felt slighted personally by my actions or my words during my stay at Meet then please, please, contact me in any way you see fit and let me know if there is any way I can make amends. I truly mean it. I should not have brought my own stress down on anyone else, and I wouldn't want anyone to feel as though they have been unjustly targeted by the results.

I hope that the rest of the week went swimmingly and that everyone got home safely, multilayer flight delays notwithstanding of course.

Finally, I just want to say that even after all this I don’t regret for one split second having gone to Meet, although I am none too proud of the ugliness I brought to it. Believe me when I say that that was not my intention in attending, even if in this case my original intentions matter very little as I didn't quite deliver on them. It was a true joy and an honor to get a chance to partake in breathing proximate air with each and every one of you. I say without the slightest reservation that you are an amazing group of people and I truly love you all very much.

Oh, and to anyone who has considered going to Meet at any point but decided against it for any reason, below is what I wrote in a moment of inspiration regarding it. I didn’t feel the need to run it through a spellchecker as sometimes a text’s small faults can make its charm. Also my caps lock key was wonky when I wrote it but I think the general gist of it is still very clear.

Spoiler:

What is Meet like?

Well for starters, the minute you walk in, a friend hands you A bbyg ale with a smile! And if you don’t like beer, that’s fine too, you can spend the week drinkinG regular soda, Mike’s Hard Lemonade, or whatever else you want, the Meethaus has it. No need to start a taB rent a room or order diner my friend!!! No no! Meethaus has you covered.

Now, don’t be alarmed by the two guys moving all about and pointing at things, Chris-crossing around things. They are just Christening them with new and fun names. Now, your experience may vary slightly, but the next thing I saw was a girl who drew And drew And drew the whole time I was there. She drew all of the things. She drew a man who was firing a marshmallow firing rePeter at a man just as he pullS a rahbit out of his shirtsleeve.

There is a real live computer Dev in-house, his ability is inNate and he spends his days Codyng Quests for real live video games. If you decide to go to the basement, you realize that eveRy landing has a friend waiting to share in the fun.

Have you ever felt like talking to a real live philosopher? like Adam Smith Or Bertrand Russell? Well, there are some really wise folks at Meethaus too. If you ever feel your energy Dwyndling, you can just spend all Day very chill by the pool, waxing philosophical. But if you get too chill and forgot to bring a coat, then someone will surely lend you a PauloVer for the evening.

The only part of Meet that is hard, is if you want to win at Punch. Then, you will need Luc as well as skill, because these folks now their vidya. You should watch E rikording of any match played there if you don't believe me.

Really the bottom line of Meethaus is this: it will Ben ja mind! it is better than meeting a real life raJa son! It is filled top to bottom with totAlly reMarkable folks, no jest.

But the realest of the real best part? Jay lives there too! (sorry to hear about your iPhone friend. )

Hope I didn’t miss anyone!

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [16] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (17 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #44]

Feb 14, 2015 - 04:51 PM
Breaking News: Penis is not an acceptable word in a headline(say some)
My office's network filter definitely does not approve of being a force for gaming. I tried to log-on to the forums at work and it's a no-go. It is relatively unrestricted, as our job calls for a substantial amount of social interaction and research into cultural phenomena in order to work with clients and understand their goals.

In revenge, I can log-on at home from the same machine with no problems.

Which brings me to the pressing question of this entry: what is the best medieval simulation game you have played?

I've been playing a substantial amount of Mount&Blade, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it, almost as much as Chivalry. Crusader Kings II seems like a very thorough strategic experience. I know I am missing some awesome games here hence the question.

As an aside, what are you playing now that is worth it? Keep in mind my limited budget, last gen capacity (in console terms, no handhelds either Vita or 3DS).

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #43]

Dec 19, 2014 - 07:30 PM
Time to chop up some doods
Chivalry Deadliest Warrior on sale under 5 bucks on steam.

That is all.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (1 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #42]

Oct 12, 2014 - 01:06 PM
Getting a computron box that can run semi-recent games is quite delightful
I don't know what's going on in your part of the world right now, but for us it's a long weekend, and as it happens that I will be taking a rather lenghty trip for training in a week I decided to play shut-in for the weekend instead of driving back home on a rush to see my folks.

As it turns out this is the first period of time that extends beyond a day where I don't need to be doing something for work. I've started work as an associate financial planner, and I've been keeping my musical copyist and sound engineer jobs going on the side.

I guess the whole point of this entry is that I had to get a new computer for the job, as they have a lot of propriety software that I need access to and they have an agreement with, Dell, so I decided I might as well upgrade it as much as I can to be able to play decent games on it, as my Macbook works fine for all my personal stuff. Incidentally, cordoning off my digital work life from my more personal (usually music related [I am a sad, sad human being in personal terms) life has done a world of good.

And so: I finally got a chance to play Civ V properly, I gave One Way Heroics a good go, and I am currently working through Heroes of Might and Magic VI, which I had half-completed before the shitstorm.

Hopefully I will get a chance to join in some sessions with people here soon, I've seen a lot of Lethal League going on, but I'm probably more interested in doing some Street Fighter-ing (not street fighting, tha ain't proper).

Boing!

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (5 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #41]

Sep 18, 2014 - 05:55 PM
This is what happens when you make a man wait for his food and give him crayons

I forgot to take a picture of the final piece, after the people I was with actually challenged me to make it into a less sadistic scene. Adding arms in the windows as though the people were being pushed somehow only made it worse, but then I added burning clouds which were shooting flames and had set the building on fire to make it so they were actually TRYING TO HELP THEM ESCAPE. It still doesn't explain the dog eating a baby in lower right corner, but meh.

After that I had a chicken sandwich with waffles for bread, so that was cool.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [4] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #40]

Sep 13, 2014 - 02:07 PM
Summer's almost gone
But these guys just don't care.

YouTube Video

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (5 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #39]

Jun 2, 2014 - 10:34 AM
Deni why?
policebrutality
Why did you tell me about LCD Soundsystem?

I spent my entire weekend trying to live according to James Murphy's advice.

NEVER AGAIN

although my headaches is almost gone now and that beat sure is enticing...

Currently Playing: 45:33

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #38]

May 30, 2014 - 08:44 AM
This raspberry beer
Nopowerjuice
Is not all that great. Should've just gotten the Mort Subite instead. :/

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (8 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #37]

May 29, 2014 - 10:47 PM
It is official
That irc voodoo is too much for my present form.

Apparently I either type or think too fast and cannot ever again participate in any of this gfchat madness. I hath flooded thee for the final time.

14/05/22 (or so) - 14/05/30: forget at your earliest convenience.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (0 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #36]

May 28, 2014 - 08:27 AM
This one's for Skills
Variable
Enjoy!

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/28

Edit:

Also this one: http://existentialcomics.com/comic/23

Spoiler: Sartre dies. You should love the second one buddy!

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [4] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (10 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #35]

Apr 27, 2014 - 10:53 AM
Full Circle
:BrainPulseOw:
For some reason this morning I had an extremely strong urge to listen to the FF6 OST. Might be my trobbing head, who knows.

It immediately made me think of this place, as I recall that was the reason I first came here back in 2003 or 2004.

Love you guys!

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [6] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (13 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #34]

Feb 13, 2014 - 12:30 PM
This is gonna be... different
So after having retreated to the middle of the woods to lick my wounds and try to stop the world from spinning around me so much for about 4 months, I've recently been contracted through a community college to give an intro to computers class at a penitentiary.

Went for a visit there this morning, and though I've known about this job for at least a month or so now, the alternate reality I'll be stepping into for the next few months just hit me a bit more concretely. I'm sure it'll get even more real once I actually start interacting with the inmates (today was just meeting personnel and getting a rundown on procedure, though I did travel through different parts of the facility to do this).

I'll be working there full time for six weeks, but I've got a degree of protection afforded by the fact that I will be considered a visitor for the duration of my contract, and so I won't be privy to information that could make me a target for any kind of harassment related to that. Obviously my visitor badge will stick out to them and I'll still have to be on my guard for potential manipulation tactics or dangerous situations, but the context I'll be working in will be a school environment within the facility, so hopefully everything will go smoothly and there won't be anything too heavy to deal with. As well, the participants have been screened for good behavior and I've been told that this opportunity is really big for them (it's the first time such a class will be offered, at least at this particular penitentiary), so that's an extra chip that goes into the things going smoothly pile.

Still, I've not been in this kind of environment before, and I must admit after getting grilled by the two intelligence agents as a sort of psych armor 101, it really feels like I'll be going into a dark parallel universe, and I'm still somewhat skittish about it all. I have to keep in mind that this is a prison, so the people who are in there are in there for a reason, and being able to put up a good wall between my personal life and what goes on in there is gonna be important. I'm generally a very emphatic person, and so this is going to be a true challenge.

And since this is a first time class, building up the program from scratch is an extra challenge that I hadn't anticipated. It has the advantage of meaning I can adjust as I go along, but in reality until classes start Monday and I get a feel for their prior knowledge/learning ability, everything I'm preparing in terms of material is pretty much shot in the dark.

Seems my life just keeps getting weirder every day...

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [1] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (5 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #33]

Jan 25, 2014 - 02:41 PM
A brief reflection on religion and music
Response to: I am an atheist in favor of religion by Misogynyst Gynecologist

I'm writing this entry in response to LeHah's as it started a reflection that would have been inappropriate as a comment by its length. Hopefully LeHah ends up reading it as it is truly based on the thought process that was started by reading his entry.

What sparked my writing this is that I struggled for the longest time during my studies in classical music with religion's important presence in classical music, mainly through my progressive move towards atheism and the fact that I had a hard time reconciling my activity as a non-believing choir singer with the fact that a huge chunk of the popular choir repertoire is religious in nature. That choir singing in general still largely takes place in churches also caused me some discomfort with my changing world view, as I wished to avoid any kind of association with organized religion as much as possible in every aspect of my life. Ironically, I became much less of a contrarian after the double whammy I've lived in the last year and half (doctoral crash and burn / loss of the most significant romantic relationship of my life), though I'm still more of the opinion that organized religion causes more bullshit than it prevents.

Anyway, enough commentary on the commentary, here is the response~

---------------------

I can agree that historically, religious organizations seem to have been a boon to the arts in general. However, I'd say it's more a question of similarity in function as well as a question of socio-economics that makes it so, rather than a question of profundity in artistic intention being in some way dependent on a specific religious sentiment. And music, fortunately, is a much more solid edifice than organized religion in that it doesn't presume to dictate anything concrete about the way the world works. It's all just commentary and almost always intended as such.

A question of similarity in function in that both religion and music are an integral part of human ritual in all its forms (births, deaths, mating, comings of age, etc.). Of course, the church had a grip on these rituals for the more notable parts of Western society (i.e. the monarchy) starting at least in the Middle Ages. As this is the period of history where the tradition of writing and preserving music became more widespread and reliable throughout occidental culture, it goes without saying that the Church had an important grip on this. The influence of these earlier pieces extended to composers of subsequent generations making the base of the Christian religious musical catalog and its influence more extensive than the secular one. It had a head start, in layman's terms.

Of course this is also a consequence of the fact that the clergy were pretty much the only people who were well instructed enough and had enough funds to proceed to the exercise of writing music down and preserving it. What's untold here is that repression of alternative currents was also part of the Church's mission, and so we are left with very few examples of secular music from this era by virtue of its ephemeral nature when it isn't written down.

One such instance is the rise and fall of the Cathars, closely linked with the tradition of the Troubadours and Trouvères, mainly in France in the few centuries after the first millennium. In essence we had a group of nobles who decided to step outside the Church and develop a new belief system based on the ideal of courtly love. Their music has reached us as a big enough monument of songs of love not linked with divinity. The Church couldn't abide a group of heretics of such importance, and the crusader army was dispatched to quell this movement. A massacre of some importance took place, and so this tradition which held much promise as an alternative to the Christian influence on the arts was nipped in the bud. Here's a more detailed yet still succinct introduction to this if anyone's curious.

An interesting fact that goes counter to the idea that religion actually helped in the production of "great" music is the fact that there was a form of censoring present in the Church's ideology that prevented composers from expressing themselves to their full capacity. One specific example is the interval of the tritone, which was proscribed from most religious musical practice and which incidentally is the base of what makes most music truly interesting, as the potential for tension and release (one of the most fundamental of concepts that makes a piece of music interesting) it provides is unparalleled by any other interval in the Western musical system.

It's interesting LeHah mentioned Mozart as an example of religion's positive impact on music, as he is pretty much at the turning point historically of the strong dependency of music on religion and the monarchy. Most people are familiar with the historically cited fact that Mozart was the first really significant composer who was able to make a living without having to be dependent on some noble patron or the Church. Beyond the extensive use of the tritone being proscribed, dissonance in general was regarded as an undesirable phenomenon. Mozart had an understanding of the usefulness of dissonance that extended far beyond what was admitted in most of high-society (and even more so the rigid edifice of the Church) at the time, and he was given a hard time for it in professional terms. Hard to think of Mozart as a renegade today, what with his place as the figurehead of classical music, but he certainly ruffled more than a few feathers in his time.

Another very significant element of Church repression that prevented an added richness of musical expression for too long a time is the disdain for any instrument that wasn't able to produce a pure tone. I'm referring of course to percussion instruments in general, one of the two most basic, fundamental, and accessible means of musical expressions, the other being the human voice. In fact, outside of the Christian tradition of classical music, very few are the religious traditions which do not include percussion in their rituals in one way or another. If the human voice is the prime tool for visceral melodic and harmonic expression in music, the aspect of rhythm was largely ignored as insignificant or considered secondary for the longest time in the Western tradition of classical music, as a consequence of the Church's influence.

My whole point is that it could be argued that religion, rather than encouraging musical expression, may have been more of a stifling element than anything else. I'd cite Mozart's operas and even more specifically Beethoven's Symphonies as prime examples of the expressive power that might have been unleashed much sooner had it not been for the Church's influence. The fascination for religious texts and profound devotion of many composers to the religious tradition can obviously be considered a strong contra-argument to all this, but in my view it isn't immediately obvious that such great minds would not have been able to find some other source of inspiration, whereas the examples I mentioned of repression and control of output can hardly be considered positive.

As for current pop music being somehow inferior to music of a more religious nature, I'd say if people can be brought together by something in a positive manner, it doesn't really matter what the object itself is. I know that a lot of the schlock that plays on Top 40 radio doesn't hold a candle to the true greats, but it is also generally intended to be easily discarded as soon the "next big thing" comes along. And so, assigning the same kind of significance to it as we do to the classics is for the overwhelming majority of it an obviously erroneous way of proceeding. Still, in separating the wheat from the chaff, every now and again we see artists from this sort of environment emerge that change something or produce a meaningful body of work, and this just further proves the point that musical ingenuity finds its way regardless of societal pressures and conventions. Remember that the Beatles, LeHah's example, started off as nothing more than another pop band like so many others. Jazz music is another example of a tradition that veered off completely from its origins to form a corpus that cannot possibly be described as insignificant. Sure it stemmed from religious styles of music, but this is again simply a virtue of the close association of music with ritual, which has also historically been associated with religion.

On the idea of music as ritual outside of a religious context, raves and large scale electronica festivals can be cited as a prime example of music not needing religion to keep innovating and moving forward. I'm not familiar enough with electronic music to the point of citing specific groups or artists that fit the criteria for paradigm changing, though I know some people who certainly could. Regardless, the whole point is that we have here another example of music not needing religion to bring people together in a positive manner and of a significant (if still in relative infancy and thus not as widely recognized) body of musical works that may well one day have examples be cited alongside the greats of the classical tradition, though it will certainly be a while before the rigid edifice that musical academia has become allows it. And in the end, if you want a tune to help you reach a state of bliss it is a much different thing to wanting a tune that will make you want to shake your booty, although the two aren't necessarily exclusive. As most people here (I imagine) I tend to favor the first, but give me a good funk record every now and again and I won't fight you.

To return to the initial point of this rambling, if we have a great number of historically significant works have been written in a religious context, this doesn't in any way justify the continued pressure religion has and continues to exert on society. I'm no longer in as much of a rush in general to confront people on their religious views as I have been in the past. If an individual holds a certain amount of conviction that there is something more out there in his heart and this helps him get through his day, I'm happy for him. What I still have a hard time swallowing is the group-think and pressure that comes from groups of people codifying these individual convictions into a set of rules you absolutely must follow or else... And this is what prompted me to write this entry, as I'm an atheist that couldn't possibly be in favor of religion in any organized form. I'm not much more of a scientist than LeHah is, but, by nature, religious doctrine cannot be reconciled with what we know about the world by simple virtue of it necessarily having to posit explanations that are not based on experience and quantified fact, but on some supernaturally obtained knowledge of reality. Whether we posit a deity or not is of little significance, as the simple virtue of basing one's decisions on factors outside of our physical reality is foolhardy in its most benign form, and plain dangerous in cases where decisions affecting important issues and large masses of people are concerned.

Post-scriptum sum up: Yes imagination is an awesome thing, and I can appreciate the monument of religiously-inspired works as much as anyone else. I just don't agree that we need to approve of religion to do so, nor that it was ever necessarily a pre-condition to it.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #32]

Sep 30, 2013 - 09:01 AM
Looking for advice on studying software engineering
Well in the whirlwind that has been my life for the past year I've had to put my thinking cap on and figure out what I would like my life to be in 5 years.

I've long wanted to learn computer programming/software engineering, I've just never had the impetus to do it what with my trying to make a career in music work. Well that no longer seems like an option I wish to pursue full time, so I figured I might as well go for it.

My main problem is that I've landed back at my parents house after a long summer of trying to fix my 8 year relationship by any means necessary and hitting rock bottom in the process. As such, moving to another city to enroll in a study program is not a viable option right now financially as well as psychologically.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good study program with the following criteria:

- Completely online
- At your own pace (If I'm doing this it is going to be full tilt, I don't want it to take 4 years if I have the capacity to do it in two)
- Not prohibitively expensive
- Leads to a recognized certification or diploma

Any ideas, suggestions, or questions are welcome!

Also: I imagine the fact that I am in Canada would probably affect possible avenues in terms of accreditation, etc.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (6 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #31]

Mar 26, 2013 - 07:22 PM
A forlorn love letter to Pang and the other game night buffoons
Not that it will surprise anyone, but I once again won't be able to make it tonight and it will probably be this way indefinitely.

I didn't expect to be called every day I'm available, as I was told that there were already too many supply teachers in the city, but I have gotten a call every single day since my application was processed. I guess it helps that I'm willing to do teaching assistance for kids with difficulties.

Unfortunately getting up at 6:30 AM Atlantic time every morning to wait for the phone to inevitably ring means that I won't be able to stay up late on Tuesdays for a bit.

I may be able to drop in every now and again, and I have a few different prospects for more stable employment which may change the situation, but for now I need the money badly enough that I have to keep getting up this early every day for a bit. To be honest I'm actually enjoying this a whole lot too, and I can see that I wasn't wrong in thinking I would like to go into teaching music as a profession. I'm not teaching music per se right now, but the experience of teaching itself is quite enjoyable nonetheless.

I'll try and make it for a night or two of EmulApril, but even there I can't guarantee anything.

Have a good game night everyone!

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (1 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #30]

Jan 10, 2013 - 06:05 PM
I have a secret
Yes, Please
My new username is a lie.

If anything, I'm mildly good at making bad puns (and whether or not that actually qualifies as being good at something I'm not quite sure either), and that's about it. I won't even mention punctuation. (does it go before or after the parenthesis in the previous sentence? What about now? :s)

Skills and Pang were quite generous in their assessment, even though the formulation itself is not too far from what I actually said during game night. I guess my ego was running off with that one.

Sorry to disapoint everyone so.

Currently Playing: Nah, I'm serious

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [2] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (3 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #29]

Dec 25, 2012 - 04:40 AM
This just may turn out to be awesome
haeppy
So I went to my mother's parents' house tonight as I do every year.

And my uncle started talking about his plans for his basement, how he wants to turn it into an apartment, etc...

and I told him in turn how I was looking for a place, which accepts dogs and, ideally, me playing drums.

He's a musician (guitarist, singer, DRUMMER), and so are his two sons. He's been divorced for a while, and even though we have good relations, I didn't really want to bother him for a place to live in Moncton, even though he's been living there for a while. I didn't know his living arrangements and didn't want to impose.

Well, he brought up the fact that he wanted to renovate his basement and make it into an apartment, and he has two dogs so no problem in bringing mine there as well.

Best Christmas present ever!

Ah, and a merry Christmas etc. to all!

Hopefully, you eat well, sleep accordingly, and have a generally awesome time.

I love you guys and wish you the best!

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (0 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #28]

Aug 16, 2012 - 01:54 PM
For Acer (and all dog lovers)
Corgis!

Kléio (ok, half corgi)

And Reefer (all right, he's a mutt, but he looks like a cross 'tween a fox and a corgi, methinks)

I love being back home!

(P.S.: Acer give me those magic items now! I wanna be a hero!)

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [9] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #27]

Aug 9, 2012 - 09:20 PM
Need advice on making a purchase online (Amazon)
So I've been playing lots of guitar lately, and I've just come upon a book (well, a boxed-set of books) that looks mighty tasty to me. The problem is it's been out of print for a while (as far as I can tell), and very little info exists on it that I could find online. I came upon the book here: http://www.deaddisc.com/books/Anthology_Box.htm

Now, that page links to an Amazon link, but the Amazon page is confusing to me. Very little info is available here as well, and of the 4 sellers, the one selling it new (I'm looking at hardcover here) sells it for less than the others. To make matters more confusing, every link under "formats" seems to point to a different item completely.

I don't think I've ever ordered anything online, so I'm a bit wary of making this my first purchase, since so little info is available. So here are some questions for those of you who are used to hunting rare items out online:

- What would be the safest way to pay for the item, in terms of refunds/returns if it turns out to be false advertisement, i.e. wrong item shipped? (credit card on Amazon, or Paypal?)

- Is 88% positive feedback for the new seller a good enough indicator? (out of 24, 984 in the last 12 months)

- Does this look too good to be true, and should I try one of the used sellers instead?

As a final note, I should add that I could get both items separately in paperback form, but the box would just be a much nicer item, especially considering that the second book is out of print (with the original cover) and by itself is quite expensive in that format.

EDIT: Found an isbn, but it seems to be for the paperback edition, maybe that's the only one there is...

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #26]

Jul 8, 2012 - 10:13 PM
I may be a rock
Or maybe an ISLAND

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [4] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (1 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #25]

May 24, 2012 - 01:52 AM
What a day, what a night
So today was a pretty busy day for me, and what started as a great day ended up being a pretty suck-ass affair.

The day started with me going to the shop of the company I work for, and getting an impromptu shift for tonight. An easy gig on top of it, which lasted an hour and a half but pays me four, since that's the minimum for a call.

Then, I went around to the University to get my student loan (which got here about a month late due to bureaucratic error ) and dropped that off at the Post Office.

During all this, my ipod started behaving badly with regards to the headphone connection, and since it's on warranty I decided to not put something off for once, and so I did a backup before heading to the shop I bought it in.

So I was feeling pretty good about my day (minus ipod crap out) up until I left the gig I was working at midnight. As I backed out of the parking lot, I didn't pay attention and I scraped the side of the car on a structural support beam, which, in my tired haste to get back home, I didn't notice. Well, I get out and look at the damage, and it seemed like little more than a scraped paint job and a dented panel. I get back in kind of bummed out, and I drive about half a click before I notice this vibrating sound. I dismiss it as bumps in the road for another quarter click before it gets louder and I decide to get out and see what's up.

Turns out I pierced the tire on the bolt of the support beam, and I now have a flat. Luckily, I have a CAA membership that my GF's parents got us for Christmas, and so I call them up and wait.

Half an hour later the guy gets there, and the first thing he says is: "I need to get you out of here, the protesters are headed this way and the cops are about to lock down the sector." Okay, fine. (for those not in the know, Montreal has had its 30th nighttime protest in as many nights tonight) We leave and stop at a gas station a few blocks away, and as he gets out of the truck and looks at my car, he says "oh, I can't just change your tire, I have to drop it off at the dealership, because your axle looks bent." This guy, by the way, is very nice and courteous, but he seems to be beyond burnt out, and he even tells me so at one point.

So he looks on his GPS for the nearest dealership, and finds one not too far off, but he finds it odd that he's never seen it before. When we get there we see why, as the Honda "dealership" the GPS pointed him to was a small motorcycle shop. So, we get back in and head to the CAR dealership which he knows is truly one, which is halfway across town.

He's just dropped me off about 15 minute ago, and am I ever glad to be home. Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to get to work on Friday, and I can only hope this isn't going to end up costing me the balance of my student loan once I've paid my tuition. This isn't even really my car, just my GF's parents are nice enough to lend it to us longterm.

EDIT: Well, apparently about 400 people where arrested at the protests tonight, right about the time they were marching in my direction while I was waiting for the tow truck.

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #24]

May 18, 2012 - 05:45 AM
Oddly appropriate
So,

Since I couldn't sleep, I decided to tune in on the emergency debate in the Quebec Legislature on the special law that the Quebec government wants to pass to quell the student protests while playing a bit of Minecraft. When, as the speeches for and against finally end at 6:30 AM, they call the vote and the stream cuts to some cheesy elevator music, I suddenly notice the sound of my in-game cats and the many colored sheep we have in our virtual backyard against this priceless musical backdrop.

A cacophony of farm animals, which oddly enough didn't sound that different from what I had been listening to for the previous 4 hours...

Currently Playing: The Minecraft barnyard choir does the Quebec Legislature

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [3] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #23]

May 17, 2012 - 02:29 PM
Dis' some Bullshit
So we live in a condo that my girlfriend's dad bought.

And there's a condo association which goes over snow removal, lawn mowing, etc. costs, and what have you that has to do with community living.

Now, I don't get implicated so much because I pretty much just live here as a renter, but since my girlfriend's dad lives about 1000 clicks away, my girlfriend has to go to the yearly meetings they have.

Well, this year, our next door neighbor decided that my girlfriend wasn't allowed to speak because she wasn't the owner, even though she went to previous meetings (we've been here six years). So she gets my girlfriend to make her dad send a letter that says she is allowed to speak in his name. She also had the good sense to hand this piece of paper to my GF and make a speech in front of everyone about how this is unusual but it will be OK for this once because her dad said so.

Now, this neighbor, although she is a bit quirky in a weird kind of way, has always been quite cordial with me and since we share a porch in a way we often have conversations about different things when she comes out (I spend a lot of time on said porch).

Well, at this meeting, she decides to talk about how we shouldn't have our dogs do their business on the front lawn anymore because it turns the grass yellow.

Putting aside the fact that we can't control other people's dogs from going on our lawn (and there are tons, we live on a busy boulevard), and the fact that she hasn't even mowed the 4 meters square lawn yet this year (which she is paid for btw), who the fuck is she to make this decision? Also, this was obviously directed at the two of us, as only two other couples have a dog in the building, and they are lap dogs. One of them have a pee pad for their dog, and the others live on the ground floor so they have their own little patch of grass behind the building.

This isn't the first time she's done something like this, I became good friends with one of the people in the building who moved out this year, and he said he quite giving a fuck about all this because she was always so anal at these things. A year or so before we moved in she decided that people weren't allowed to have barbecues on the porch because it smells bad, and she admonished everyone at the last reunion about how she was redoing her floors, and that she had the decency to ask everyone if it was OK because it's written in some bullshit agreement she probably wrote herself.

Obviously If I would have been there, I would have told her quite squarely how ridiculous this is, but since I'm just a renter, I'm "not allowed to speak".

Bullshit.

Currently Playing: Minecraft

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #22]

Mar 4, 2012 - 03:00 PM
Was considering this for SAUS
YouTube Video

But there's a bit too much talking going on. I guess the Good Book song it is then.

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #21]

Mar 2, 2012 - 01:04 PM
I think I'm being trolled...
By the administration of the Music Faculty.

So I have a doctoral analysis exam coming up.

I have to analyze a Mozart sonata, the passacaglia from Ravel's piano trio, and...

The intermezzo from Hindemith's Lustige Sinfonietta, which is subtitled Zoologische Merkwürdigkeiten, which as far as I could figure out means "zoological strangeness".

I'm going to be heading to the library to find more info on this piece because so far I've done a quick internet search and there isn't much readily available information about it that isn't in German.

Currently Playing: Around with the soundtrack to a strange zoo

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (6 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #20]

Feb 27, 2012 - 03:11 PM
When the (moose) shit hits the fan
A pretty interesting story is developing regarding the last Canadian federal election, which somehow doesn't surprise me. Automated calls, and even live calls issued from call centers were sent to voters who had been identified as voting for parties other than the Conservative Party, misleading people by telling them the polling station had changed places, and just generally being rude and aggressively calling multiple times at all hours of the day and night.

The Conservative Party has already been caught red-handed with regards to election fraud (they were caught transferring funds around to evade campaign spending limits in 2006), and it seems that getting caught once wasn't enough.

Fingers crossed that this will somehow keep developing enough to somehow rid our country of this Conservative majority before it's term is up.

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #19]

Feb 18, 2012 - 11:34 AM
This could get interesting
:/
Well, the students of the Music Faculty at the Université de Montréal have decided to go on strike to protest a planned increase in tuition cost.

I understand the feeling behind this and since I'm of the opinion that education should be the next priority for funding after healthcare, this is going to make it odd going to work on Wednesday. Apparently there are going to be picket lines, and I never thought I'd be one of the people who would have to cross them, but here I am. I'm a TA, so I need to show up and see if there are any assignments handed in regardless of the fact that all the students have declared all classes to be cancelled until further notice. My own classes are one on one with my research director, and he said if things get too hairy he'll just have me over at his house so we can keep working.

I'm still having a hard time grasping how this is a productive solution to the problem, since we are the ones paying, not the University. We aren't providing the service, they are.

Oh well, we'll just wait and see I guess.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (8 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #18]

Jan 23, 2012 - 03:08 PM
Well, I guess that'll do for now
So, I've got a working PS3 again, albeit not the same one I had before. My little brother had kept his old 40GB model when it YLOD'd, and he said he wasn't going to be doing anything with it, but it didn't have the right laser for mine. So I went ahead and used the heat gun trick on it and to my great pleasure I now have a working PS3. Apparently this doesn't always work for very long before YOLDing again, so I'll probably still get my other one a new laser when I have the time to search for a decently priced one and fix that one up too.

I was quite disappointed to see that I couldn't transfer my Dark Souls save file without PSN+ though, that kind of shit is just fucking annoying as hell.

Oh well, it's such a cool game that I don't mind starting it up from the beginning again all that much.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #17]

Jan 19, 2012 - 01:56 PM
PS3 Blu-Ray problems
I posted this in the Help Desk already, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it here as well, seeing that some journal dwellers might not notice the thread and might be able to help...

-------------------------

About two days ago my PS3 started behaving oddly when playing games, and eventually it would just stop reading the game disc and the game would very quickly crash afterwards. I had to force the system to shut down, and when I turned it back on, it would take a long time to read whatever disc I put in, and would promptly crash after a few minutes of gameplay. After trying multiple times to leave it off and come back to it, I noticed that the behavior was getting worse, and now it's to the point that if it does recognize the disc it will most likely not get past the first loading screen. However, we put in a DVD yesterday and it played all the way without a hitch. I just put one in now, and it seems to be playing back fine. A blu-ray movie however would not play back.

From reading around, it seem that my issue is somewhere in the blu-ray drive, but I'm not sure how to diagnostic it properly, and I was wondering if anyone here has had similar issues and has found a DIY way to repair it. I've gone through all system options except HDD formatting, and that didn't change anything. I've also opened up the drive and cleaned the laser, but that also did not change anything. I've done the fan test as well, and the fan works.

I've seen a lot of people talk about replacing the laser, which sounds like a more attractive solution for me financially than buying a new PS3 or paying Sony to repair it. Have any of you actually gone through the process of changing the laser and had satisfactory results? Would it be safer to just change the whole drive, in case it's something else in there that's causing this problem?

By the way, my PS3 is a 160GB fat model (CECHP01) if that helps.

Currently Playing: NOT Dark Souls :mad:

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #16]

Jan 6, 2012 - 06:08 PM
What I've been missing
:woot:
So, my headphones shit the bed while I was back home, since I just crammed them into my bag with the rest of my stuff. Stupid, I know, but now I'm sort of glad I did, since I just got back from headphone shopping and I can't believe how bad my old headphones actually sounded.

My old ones were Sony MDR-V300, and I regret not having invested in something better last time around. My new pair are Sennheiser HD380, which is still not the most expensive pair of headphones ever (I got them for 150 tax-in, I see them online hovering around 200$ so I guess I got a good deal), but the sound quality is just mind-boggling in comparison. It makes me want to go back and listen to everything I've enjoyed in the last few years just to hear what I missed the last time around.

By the way, for anyone in Montreal, I got the phones at Moog Audio on St-Laurent. Very helpful people, though it took a while to get service as the store was packed. They have an online store, but I have no clue what their shipping policy is like.

Currently Playing: Steely Dan - The Royal Scam

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [1] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #15]

Jan 1, 2012 - 02:06 AM
New year entry
Happy new year everyone!

I figured I would take five to write a short entry, seeing that I've been away from the forums since I came back home to New Brunswick.

I've had a good holiday season this year, I hope all of you have as well. I got to see all of my family and everyone seems well, so that's all that I needed. It's been calmer than the last few years, but I don't mind having the time to rest, I feel like I needed it anyway. What's more, I caught a pretty nasty throat cold as soon as I got back home, and didn't feel much like partying.

I played my first game of Catan this week with my brothers and GF, and now I'm hooked. My GF and I bought it to play with her family, and we've played 5 games in the last 24 hours. I'm also playing the PC version now, so I'm pretty much hooked!

Got to level 47 in Skyrim with my craft-happy Nord (Smiting, Alchemy and enchanting are either at 100 or just about), but I don't have access to a PS3 right now since I'm staying at my GF's folks' place, which is in Moncton, roughly 250 klicks from my folks' home in Bathurst. I can't wait to get back into it though. My GF also got me Dark Souls for Christmas, so that's another thing I have to look forward to.

I did get a few occasions to jam in the last weeks, and I'm glad I did, since just writing music all year isn't the same as just playing and enjoying the actual experience of making music. I need to get back to the writing though, since that is what I do...

So how about all of you, has your holiday season been all you hoped for?

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #14]

Dec 4, 2011 - 03:49 PM
Random musical observation
I just realized how much the soundtrack to Dragon Quest VIII sounds like Maurice Ravel's Valses Nobles et Sentimentales.

That is all.

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #13]

Oct 7, 2011 - 05:11 PM
This so shiny
Apparently I've been living in the stone age of the internets. By that I mean I for some reason still had firefox version 3.6.something on my laptop, and now all of a sudden I find out that 7.0.1 is available for mac? I thought I had it set-up to warn me when a new version is released. Apparently this isn't the case.

Truth be told the fact that my tabs are now above my address bar is probably gonna fuck with me something fierce for the next few days. Oh well, gotta keep up with the times!

Currently Playing: Around with these tabs

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #12]

Jul 11, 2011 - 01:36 PM
Fun times in a canoe
I just got back from a three day canoe trip on the Restigouche River.

The run starts at the red star and stops at the north east part of the map marked rafting grounds. A total of 90 kliks, which usually takes 18 hours of paddling to get to. We stopped on friday at Whites Brook Island, and we stayed there 'til Sunday morning. Most people usually paddle during all three days, but since my uncle has a motor he can haul the people who don't feel like paddling for the flatter stretches that don't have much current to pull you forward. We choose to stop at Whites Brook because the other camping grounds (Red Bank and Cross Point Island) are always jammed full of people, and quite often your sure to have your stuff pilfered at one point or another. Hopefully, you only lose a beer or two, but sometimes you're not that lucky.

Had an awesome time this year as usual, and I feel like I was better prepared than I was both other times, which made it even better. Having your stuff be a bit too damp because of bad planning can make that kind of weekend be a lot more stressful. I also had a chance to go part of the way with two of my brothers, which means I've gone down the Restigouche in the same canoe as all four of my brothers and my dad at one point or another. My mom never went back on the river after the first year, when she and my eldest brother tipped and she got a pretty big scare.

It was all family and close friends, and in all we had 9 two seater canoes, 1 two (and sometimes during the weekend three) person motor canoe, and two single seater kayaks in all. Five dogs came down with us on the trip, including mine, who got courted pretty much all weekend by my uncle's Boston Terrier. We had a great laugh watching him follow her everywhere and be real protective of her all weekend.

We also had three guitars, a ukulele, multiple shakers and hand percussion and a drum set. That last one was all me, I put my snare drum, my cymbals and my hardware in my keyboard gig bag and off I went. I had a good laugh going down river with people trying to guess what was in there. Since we camped on a particularly quiet island, we didn't get too many visitors during the weekend, but both nights we had at least seven or eight people with us on the island, and I can say they were really glad to see that we had all that music gear since it made for quite a party. I hid the drums when I went to bed at five or six in the morning (I was the last one up both nights, except for my younger cousin on friday), so they wouldn't be in plain view all day.

I think the biggest thing I did differently this year is that I didn't drink too much, which was not the case both of the other times I went down. I can say that made a lot of difference, since I was a lot more cautious in making sure that my stuff didn't get lost or soaked. I did smoke a good deal of weed too, but that doesn't make you go crazy in quite the same way. Between myself, my three brothers, my dad and my little brother's girlfriend, we had brought about 120 beers, which we finished sunday afternoon while paddling.

I can't wait for next year when I get to do this all over again, but for now it's back to listening to the BACH pairings before the polls close and I haven't voted on half of the first round!

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #11]

Jun 7, 2011 - 05:26 PM
Reflections
This is most likely going to be a rather long entry, simply because I've found myself having quite a bit of time lately to simply read and listen to podcasts about different things that I am interested in but often give up in times of multiple real world obligations. I'm writing this more as a means to go through everything that I've explored in the last two months or so (or whenever it was that the university semester ended), than necessarily to get comments on any of this, but I obviously will be glad if anyone wishes to discuss any of the topics I'll be skimming over in this entry. A big part of the reason why this is going to be so long is that I don't feel like I've had any of the long-winded conversations that I very much enjoy to have with people in the last few months, as much because none of the people I usually have these conversations with have crossed my path since then as because I didn't bother to phone anyone up. My girlfriend has been working a whole lot lately, and unfortunately it happens to be mostly late afternoons to evenings, which clashes quite a bit with my mostly night and morning shifts.

Anyhoo, here comes the Tangent Express, feel free to hop aboard anywhere, diagonal read, skip paragraphs, go straight to the comments page and call me out on my bullshit without reading any of this, whatever.

-------------------------------

The first thing that has been on my mind of late and keeping me up some nights is that I'll be starting my doctorate in September. I know what I'll be working as my main project, but I have yet to really start working out the details on paper. A big part of the reason why is that, since I'll be writing a large scale work for percussion ensemble and choir, I'll be needing a libretto to start my project, or at least part of one. For the last six months, I've been debating whether or not this was the best idea, since I don't really feel like handing over such an integral part of my project to another person, yet I'm pretty sure if I wrote it myself it would be laughably absurd and not very good. This uneasiness has been somewhat settled since last week, when I called up an old friend who'll be moving to Montreal on the 1st of July and talked to him about it. He replied quite enthusiastically, which isn't typical of him, and I'm looking forward to working on this with him. He's just finished a Master's in literature, and I have great confidence that he will be able to provide an adequate text for me to work with. This also has the advantage of me being able to work very closely with him without ever feeling like I'm distracting him from his other work, since we have an open enough relationship that he would probably feel comfortable in telling me if it were the case.

The work I chose to write the music to is Ajax, a Greek tragedy by Sophocles. The reason is quite simply that I was rather mesmerized by the short tale when I read it, there's just something about a guy doing himself in for slaughtering cattle because of a goddess' curse and those who survive him fighting about whether he should get a proper burial or not that seems a bit epic to me.

-----------------------

Sometime in the last year I came to the realization that I was an atheist. I had been an agnostic for the longest time before this. It is rather odd, since I have been quite interested in the world's different religions for quite a while, and I woke up to my atheism after a spell of simply not having the time to read up on spirituality and such that lasted about a year. I was brought up in a catholic family, though my parents never really forced religion upon us any more than taking us to church every Sunday for maybe the first 10~12 years of my life. My mom went through a phase of being part of bible study groups for a while when I was younger, but nowadays she barely ever goes to church, and I've had enough discussions with her to know that she isn't convinced that the bible is anything more than a book written by men to either gain an amount of control over the population or simply because they believed the stories to be true themselves. Either way, she's not much of a believer anymore, though I imagine she still thinks there is a god, which is cool. My dad has probably always been the kind of guy who just questions all of it when he has the time but doesn't let it influence the way he lives his life. He probably has certain beliefs, but he's the kind of guy who usually doesn't talk too much about this kind of thing.

So, I've been listening to a lot of podcasts that specifically discuss atheism, and I have to say it's interesting to see that there are so many people who actually are atheists around the world. It's also interesting to note that a lot have a real hard time being open about it to their families and friends. I'm lucky enough to be in an academic environment at the moment in which pretty much everybody is open to the idea or at the very least tolerant of it. I'm pretty open about it to everyone in my life, but I'll admit I probably won't ever tell my only living grandparents about it, because it might cause quite a bit of strain with them. To give you an idea, my grandparents do still go to church at least every sunday, and every year at Christmas my grandmother prompts my grandfather to ask god to bless our family for the coming year. Actually, this year they asked my eldest brother to do it since he has three kids now, and they wanted him to take up the mantle and be the one to do it. Maybe just this once, maybe it'll be every year. I'm not sure how my brother feels about religion and the question of god, but I'm glad I wasn't him at that moment. Knowing him though, he probably didn't fuss about it and just went through the motion to keep everyone in good spirits. He's rather like my dad on these kinds of questions, not much of a talker, and, as a corollary to that, not the type who would try and convince anyone away from their own convictions. Actually, out of the five of us, there two of us who are most likely to have these kinds of conversations, and a third who joins in when he has a chance, but is usually so all over the place all the time doing activities and organizing other activities that he only joins in on the rare occasion that he can hold still for more than five seconds.

The one brother I have with whom I most often have the long conversations that I referred to in the beginning of this post actually came to be somewhat convinced that there must be some kind of higher power around the time that I went the other way. He keeps far away from organized religion anyway, and we have such open communication that I can't imagine it would ever drive us apart. As for most of my extended family, I know that quite a few have taken the religious leanings of my grandparents and rolled with it to varying degrees, so I won't bring it up unless the setting is right. I'm not yet convinced that being militant about my beliefs is necessarily a good thing, though I certainly won't shy away if someone confronts me about them.

-------------------

Another podcast I really got into for a while is called The Partially Examined Life, which I came upon while searching for information about the concept of absurdity in philosophy. It's mainly three guys discussing different works and topics of philosophy, and the main point that makes it effective is that they run with the assumption that the people listening are pretty much clueless to what they are discussing. This is not to say that they dumb it down, just that they take the time to fill in the pieces when a point of reference is absolutely needed to understand what they are discussing. Philosophy was my major for one whole semester when I first started university, but I've kept on reading mainly works of philosophy since I changed to music, so this was a welcome accompaniment to my evening walks with my dog. I've come to the realization that the two main areas of philospohy for which I have a great amount of interest are Aesthetics (who would have guessed) and Ethics. Actually, I probably read about 4 or 5 works on Ethics for every other work of philosophy that I read. I just realized that while thinking of the things I've read lately.

-----------------

What prompted me to write this entry was that I've spent the morning reading a book of Fidel Castro's reflections titled Obama and the Empire, which is all writings that Castro has made about Obama's policy decisions and public adresses. It's a bit shocking to me to read this, since I had no clue that the man writes as much as he does. Now, I'm conflicted to a large extent because I feel a certain degree of admiration for the man in reading his thoughts, yet I've heard so many stories about how he is a dictator and has caused so much suffering to his people. I know a lot of this is probably little more than fallout from the United States government's stance towards Castro and the Cuban revolution, but I'm still having a hard time understanding what exactly is the truth in all this. Are the Cuban people really happy under their current government, or is it true that there's an iron-fist weighing over all of them? The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, but I'll need to read up more on this, without a doubt.

----------------

I say that I have a lot of time to read and think lately, but I do still have obligations. My main occupation this summer is working for a company that does lighting and sound setups for corporate events, though I work only on days when they have a need for me, which is actually frequent enough so far this summer to allow me to pay my rent/bills and not feel too squeezed for cash. My biggest expenditures besides my rent is cigarettes, which I'm starting more and more to feel is not very wise of me. I love smoking though, so this battle is far from won. There's something about just sitting on my porch, listening to music, sipping my coffee, and having a smoke that just makes my day.

The rest of my obligations have to do with concerts, though most gigs don't pay, or barely do. I'm part of a vocal ensemble and a choir at the moment. The choir is the gig that I'm paid for, though it's an hour drive from Montreal and it pays 10$ an hour, so it's not really something I can live off of, especially since every concert we were to put on this summer was canceled because of floods in the region where the choir is based. We are supposed to put on a benefit concert next week for those affected by the flood, and I hope that the director is able to find enough people to perform to make it feasible, since our choir probably wouldn't be able to get enough people to come to make much of a difference, without considering that we really haven't practiced much in the time since our concert two months ago. The director is a pretty fascinating guy from the conversations I've had with him, which makes it a bit difficult for me to break it to him that I'm going to be quitting the choir soon. The benefit concert if it happens will probably be my last gig with them since I won't have the time to take ~six hours of my week to go down there for a practice every week for 30$ when uni starts up again. Maybe if I can convince him to let me go once a month (which would be amply sufficient for me to get comfortable with the repertoire), I'll stay on, but I'm not even sure I want to commit that much time to it.

As for the vocal ensemble, it's starting to pick up a lot of steam lately, and it's encouraging to see that. The people in charge have started looking for financial support form the Arts Council of Canada and other such organizations, and the fact that we premiered a mass by a composer from Québec (he's part of the ensemble, but he's also a teacher at the Université de Montréal) should help to show the seriousness of the endeavor and help win us support. If all goes well, it should start to be a paying gig in the coming years. I really like this ensemble, and the fact that my girlfriend is also part of it makes it all the more enjoyable for me, as it provides a venue for us to socialize as a couple, which god knows is a pretty rare occurrence, considering our very different interests.

-------------

I think the thing I admire and respect most about my girlfriend is her will to realize her dreams. In my view she's had a pretty rough time in the last few years, but she hasn't faltered in her drive to make it as a professional opera singer. It's been all the more hard on her since moving to Montreal because in her years working on her master's she's had to brush of systematic rejections by the university opera workshop, having only had the chance to sing in the choir one year and having a very minor role another year, with nothing in the year in between the two. The politics of the voice division of the music faculty is pretty messed up, with operas being chosen with specific singers already chosen in advance for certain roles, with auditions that are basically just for show more than anything taking place at the beginning of the year. Being the skeptic that I am, I had a hard time believing this when we my girlfriend first started telling me about this, but after being in contact with a bunch of other singers and teachers in my years here I've come to see the truth in it. A very sad state of affairs for an academic milieu that is supposed to be a place for students to live experiences that will help them in shaping their careers.

She's had a few audition since finishing university, though no jobs so far. She is singing pretty much every solo that is written for a soprano in the vocal ensemble, which is definitely a good thing. She's always had a bit of a confidence problem (which was worsened to the extreme by her years doing her master's), but she is finally starting to break through it, or at least it seems like it to me. I'm behind her one hundred percent.

If you are wondering why this is what I admire most about my girlfriend, it's because I've always been the kind of guy to just roll with it, and I don't really think about the future too much. Sure, I hope to be able to work as a music teacher once I'm done school, or at least work in something music related, but I can't say I've got any of the kinds of dreams that drives her so passionately. It's truly a wonder to behold, and I just love her so, for this and so many other reasons.

---------------

The strategy game buff in me is starting to crave for a handheld gaming system. I've never really owned any kind of portable game system in my life. Okay, I bought a GBA from my GF's brother a while back for 20$ with a few games, one being Zelda: the Minnish Cap, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I didn't buy any games for it myself though. The reason I'm getting this itch is because of all the great titles I'm seeing going to the PSP and DS which aren't available on the PS3 and PC. Stuff like Fire Emblem, FFT and Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 to name a few. I probably will never have the money to shell out for one of either, which is just as well since I don't really need a portable gaming console to make me spend even more time doing stuff that isn't really all that productive.

What brought this on is that I blitzed through Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes HD on the PS3 this week and when I saw that it was originally on DS I thought to myself that the portable game systems are getting a lot of strategy game love these days.

---------------

If you've made it this far, you deserve a good pat on the back. I swear I'll give you one as soon as they get those ehands up and running, or if we ever meet in person. Alternatively, give yourself one on my behalf.

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #10]

Oct 15, 2010 - 01:15 PM
I wonder what effect dropkicking my PS3 would have on its Wireless connection
Because seriously, right now anything would be an improvement. I hadn't touched my PS3 for quite a while, and it has been since the Castlevania LoS demo has been released that I was thinking about trying it out. I was hesitant because I remembered how much of a hassle it was to download the last thing I did, but this morning I figured I had enough time to try and configure the piece of shit again to see if I could maybe try out the demo some time over the weekend. Now I've changed my mind.

Fuck this shit.

Seriously, I've tried just about every single configuration possible on both the router and the PS3, reset both a million fucking times, and the damn thing still can't get a decent connection. I'm not much of an expert on routers and Wi-Fi, but I know it's not supposed to be this complicated to get the thing to work. Since I've bought the PS3 I've bought a new router, brought both as close as possible to each other with my current setup (it is still about 40 feet, but there's not too much wall separating both as it goes along a hallway). I know the distance is a bit much, but seriously my laptop has no fucking problem whatsoever getting a perfect signal and the connection rarely drops, and even then it only does so if I've been torrenting over it for a while, which a router reset fixes perfectly.

What's worst is that I actually did get it to connect quite decently on a few occasions, but it has never lasted more than a day or so, even though I changed absolutely nothing in my settings or setup.

Really, I can't for the life of me figure out the use of putting a wireless adapter in a machine if it won't be able to get a decent connection without being in the same room as the router, which kinda beats the point of having the adapter in there at all.

Guess I'm going to need to convince my GF to let me run ethernet cable across the apartment ceiling if I ever want to use my PS3 for anything besides watching movies (since, you know, most any game I pop in is likely to ask me to update, and wouldn't you know it, that requires me to connect the piece of *@$! to the internet!)

This really sucks, as I really wanted to try this game. Castlevania, and especially the 3D iterations, is one of the series I could actually be accused of being somewhat of a fanboy of. Metroidvania was interesting for the first game or two, but I just never felt that it captured the atmosphere of the earlier or 3D Castlevania games at all. Symphony of the Night was still close enough to the source it seemed to retain some of it, but then the newer ones felt too cartoonish to actually pull me in the same way.

Oh well, more Starcraft 2 will be played it seems.

Currently Playing: NOT Castlevania Lords of Shadow :(

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #9]

Sep 27, 2010 - 11:37 PM
Pie à la mode
Response to: /EKG Mode by PiccoloNamek

Response entries:
Combo Breaker by THIEF

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [1] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (0 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #8]

Sep 26, 2010 - 09:58 AM
Attention Starcraft 2 players
I've been playing quite a bit of this game lately, but I don't really know too many people who also play beside my little brother, so I was wondering if any of you guys on here who also play would be interested in playing a game with me every now and again.

I'm as of yet unranked in the ladder, and the main reason for this is that I don't much like playing against random people I don't know. I know that most of the people on here who play I don't know much better, but I would still prefer it, as at least this way we would get to know each other through the game, and it wouldn't be as random as the ladder.

I'm in for playing pretty much any game type, from 1v1 to 4v4, going through dicking around with custom maps. Also, if any of you guys actually make maps and want people to help test them out, I'd be glad to help you out with that.

I'm not so sure what my skill level is, as I haven't been ranked yet, but I'd say I'm an advanced player with good knowledge of most every unit in the game. I've got the fundamentals of the whole macro-micro thing down pretty good, it's just the execution that still lacks in fluidity most games.

Anyhoo, if anyone is interested just comment this entry and I'll PM you my character name and code.

Currently Playing: Starcraft II

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #7]

Sep 23, 2010 - 09:29 AM
More contracts
Well, it seems I've just about reached my goal since the last entry. I'll be able to earn my keep exclusively out of music related activities, and I couldn't be more happy about this. A side effect of this is that my schedule is going to be quite erratic, but I feel this is more a positive side effect than a negative one, as I've never quite been able to handle the old 9 to 5 crunch without starting to feel restless. Needless to say school was torture to me before I started University.

I actually got two more jobs since my last entry. The first is a contract that lasts until April to sing in a vocal ensemble. It's in Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, which is 90 kilometers from Montreal, but the director lives in Montreal and I'll be hitching a ride with him to get to practice, so it's really not a big problem.

The second job I got will be working on setting up and tearing down stages for shows. Now, this isn't exactly a job in music per se, but to me it still fits in my career path, as I'll be making new connections with people in my field all the time while working, so I think it's still pretty cool. This job will be the hardest to fit into my life though, as it'll usually mean working nights, from 12 to 9am. In reality, I don't really mind that too much, as it'll still permit me to go to University to pick up/ drop off the assignments that I have to note during the day. Also, this job is not going to be constant, as they'll simply call me when they have a job to do, and I'll be under no obligation if I have other things to do, so it fits quite neatly with the rest of my work.

----------------------------------

In other news, I brought Kléio to the vet to have her spayed yesterday, and I'm going to go pick her up very soon. I can't say how much it saddened me to have to leave her there for a day and a half. I know she's probably fine, but I can't help but feel that she was probably quite sad and lonely before they sedated her. The operation went well though, so I'll probably not have to leave her anywhere overnight for a long time now.

Currently Playing: Starcraft II

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #6]

Sep 10, 2010 - 04:29 PM
Movin' on up
Commanding
This entry is kind of long so for all you tl:dr people:

I got me three contracts that should permit me to enjoy my life even while I'm working, as I won't be doing it just for the pay, it's actually going to be work that is related to my field of study.

Also: My doggie still good doggie! ^-^

Now that that's out of the way, here's the long version.

My life has just been getting better and better of late, and I can't help but feel that my hard work and dedication to my studies, as well as my willingness to help out people who ask nicely, over what is almost a decade now are finally starting to pay off.

My last entry was centered on how a new member joined our little family, and that in itself was enough to get me in high spirits. At the time of that entry I was hurting pretty bad financially though, and I was dreading the thought that I was going to need to start job hunting. I've had to do that every summer since I've finished high school, save for one where I had retained my job for the school year, and the one that's just passed now, where I was able to get student loans to permit me to finish my master's degree. As anyone who's ever had to hunt for jobs while being a student knows, it's a bunch of ass, and rarely do you ever come across something that is even remotely related to your actually field of study, especially if your studying in the arts or social sciences. Last year I spent a month and about 50 or 60 resumes to wind up working as a salesman in an electronics store.

Well, A few weeks ago I got an email from a girl who's in charge of putting together a musical for a Cégep (Basically a transitional college between high school in university, Quebec is the only province in Canada which has this system), and she was looking for someone to produce arrangements of the entire musical Nine for this year's show. I was recommended to her by a friend who had done the arrangements for the last three years, and who had asked me to produce an arrangement of the Elephant Medley from Moulin Rouge for last year's show as he was too swamped to complete it. I agreed purely out of kindness, as the pay isn't all that great (really, 700$ for the whole thing :/) and he needed the money, but I said I would do it for him if he paid me a lunch at one point so we would have a chance to just hang out.

Now, this in and of itself is a very minor contract, and it's going to take more time to do than the pay is worth, but I figured I needed the experience as I've not had the chance to complete this big of a project outside of school. Musicals really aren't my thing, but I'm not enough of a fool to think that I'll only ever get to work on projects that fit my tastes, so I agreed to do it.

Last weekend I headed out to Chicoutimi to see my brother's newborn son, as I hadn't been there in a while, and I figured since it was Labor day weekend I wouldn't get much job hunting done anyway. My GF was in New Brunswick with her folks, so I got Kléio in the car and of we went.

Now, when I got back home on sunday evening, I had a message on the phone from the same friend who had gotten me the arrangement contract, and he was saying that I had to get back to him before the next day, as he needed someone to be his TA for his Conterpoint class and he had some sort of deadline the next day. Which was Friday. Before cursing my luck, I decided to call him up and see if it was still possible, figuring I might as well at least take the opportunity to talk to him. Welp, it turns out that he was mistaken about the deadline and he still had ample time for me to go through the required administrative gauntlet to get the job. A big problem was going to be the fact that I was not a full-time student, which I was under the impression meant that I would not be eligible for these types of jobs. I figured I might as well email whoever was in charge to see if the fact that I was still technically a student, since I had just submitted my master's and was now considered enrolled in a "Corrections" trimester while I awaited judgment on it, would allow me to get the job. Hooray for technicalities, it worked.

Now, this job is just 45 hours a trimester for two trimesters. The rate is upwards of 20$ an hour, so it's an extra 2000$ or so over the next 8 months to add to the 700$ from the arrangements contract. Still better, but not nearly enough to get by either.

That's when we get to this morning, as I'm exiting the music faculty and I come across my first orchestration teacher, who's just coming into the building. We became friends pretty quickly when I was in his class, as circumstances have made that he needed my help on a few occasions and I was happy to oblige, seeing how he's a really nice guy and was always willing to answer questions and oftentimes gave us the opportunity to have short compositions played in class, when we had players come in to explain their instruments.

The first such occasion was at a point where a bunch of disgruntled students in class starting passing around a petition saying that he was incapable of teaching his class, due to not being in full control of the subject matter and the fact that his french was not adequate to transmit the information (he had just gotten to Canada from Russia a few years earlier and was still learning to speak french). Now, I was in agreement that it was sometimes hard to grasp what he was saying, but anytime I felt this way I took the time to ask more specific questions or see him after class to clarify, which, being the nice guy that he is, he was happy to do every single time. The other point was complete hogwash, as I've rarely met anyone who's more passionate and knowledgeable about orchestration. When asked to sign the petition, I argued these points with the people who had initiated it (this was in class, the prof was out for some reason), and I did get them to hesitate a bit, but they kept on anyway. Now my friend caught wind of this because the petition inevitably got handed to the administration, which in turn got forwarded to my friend's composition teacher, who then let him know of it, as he had to address the issue if he didn't want this to escalate and eventually get him fired. So the next week, he started class by getting it right out and asking the class why they hadn't simply brought these issues up with him directly. An argument ensued, with a few of us clearly voicing that we were in total disagreement with this, and the people who had started the petition eventually apologized, realizing that they had been a bit rash in starting the whole thing. I usually don't get involved in this kind of petty politicking but in this case I really felt that this was toying with this guy's future as a professor, and I couldn't stand by and watch him go down while he was trying as hard as he could.

The second time I helped him out was when he was putting together a concert of his symphonic works. He needed an entire orchestra, which he had to put together himself, and it so happened that the percussion section was a bit thin. Now, I don't play much anymore, but I'm still able to fulfill most basic percussion roles in an orchestra without too much trouble, so I agreed to play the parts he had for me, which were a bit of a stretch, but still doable. Now, on the morning of the concert he comes to me, looking like he hadn't slept in a month, and tells me that the entire percussion section bailed on him the night before as they had to be out of town for a gig and they had misread the dates or whatever. So here I was, slated to be sole percussionist in a symphonic orchestra, with parts for just about every percussion instrument to play that I hadn't ever looked at save for the small part he had given me before. Now, I told him I would do what I could, but we both knew it would be impossible for me to play everything in there, as much physically as with regards to ability. He just said "well, do what you can, you're already doing more than I should ask". Well, as luck would have it, two of the sound/ lights guys working in the hall that day had played percussion before, and one of them actually felt comfortable enough to play the timpani. The other one was hadn't been playing as long so he took toms and cymbals. This left me with everything else to play, including keyboards, but we somehow pulled it off. My friend was quite enthusiastic at the end of the performance, so I figure we did a good job. To me, it was all a blur, and I don't think I've ever been quite as mentally spent as I was at the end of that concert.

Anyhoo, jump back to today and I meet the guy when I'm leaving the music building. We exchange hellos, it's been a whiles, and then he asks me what I'm up to. So I says to the guy, I says "Just looking for work, yo" and so this guy man, he says "well, I needs someone to help me with my orchestration class, ya feelin' me?".* And there you have it. This contract is a bit more lucrative than the other one, as it counts 60 hours of pay, at the same going rate as the other one. I still need to get a job, but it needn't be a 40+ hours a week drudge fest like all the jobs I've had in the past to simply get by.

The only thing that is missing now is a call from the University of Montreal Youth Music School to tell me they have an opening for me teaching kids that will permit me to round up the rest of the $$ I need to actually live off of music. Either way, I feel my career prospects are shaping up quite nicely of late.

* This conversation has been lightly modified from its original version for reader enjoyment

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #5]

Aug 22, 2010 - 09:45 PM
Me new best friend! [With pictures]
Well, I've been having an awesome couple of weeks. My Masters should be handed in by Friday, and my Research director has reviewed my work and seemed thoroughly impressed.

But, more importantly, I got a dog last week!

Here are some pictures of her:

Now, this came about in a completely unexpected way. My girlfriend's brother was the one who owned her before us, but his girlfriend was allergic like hell so they had to get rid of her. My GF and her family were simply too torn to have to let it go from the family that we decided to take her in. From what I've been told, she is a Corgie/Labrador mix. Her name is Kléio. I've rarely seen a dog so well behaved, especially considering she's in her third home now, and she's only 8 months old. Fear not, she'll be staying with us for life, no matter what happens.

It's pretty great for me to finally have a dog around the house again, as I raised one in my last years of high school and had to leave him at my parents house. I really wasn't too sure how long I would be staying in one place back then, and I couldn't really afford the food, vet bills, etc.

Currently Playing: With me new doggie!

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [7] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #4]

Jun 6, 2010 - 02:09 AM
Belgian pub crawl
Well... just got back from the Mondial de la bière, and I must say, I wish I had gotten there six hours earlier. I hadn't heard about it until about noon today, so my planning time was quite limited.

I saw a guy with a VIP pass. He was in heaven. Then, I saw him puke like it was time to let go.

Next year, that will be me.

Happy summer solstice everyone*.

In approx. two weeks

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #3]

Mar 13, 2010 - 01:33 AM
The props of life
Fuzzy
I've found myself on more than one occasion lately looking for prop and diss buttons at various moments in my day, even in things unrelated to this place.

If only life were as convenient as Gamingforce.

Currently Playing: the game of life

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [2] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (0 dynamos)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #2]

Dec 24, 2009 - 05:14 PM
First entry ever!
Yuletidey
AAAAAAAAAAAAAnnnnnnnnd

I'm gonna use it to wish everyone a merry Christmas.

Hope it's all you wanted it to be!

You ougtha get you some sleep

Currently Playing: Around

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #1]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
i am good at jokes's Journal