Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Omnislash124's Journal

Omnislash124's Journal Statistics
View Omnislash124's profile
Entries 54 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 0 entries are private (0% of total)
Views 17467
Replies Omnislash124 has made 76 comments [view stats]
Comments 162 comments (3 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 18 props given to Omnislash124 [who be proppin?]
Buddies 2 buddies
Relation You are not Omnislash124's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries
Sep 10, 2008 - 02:14 PM
This is a first...DMCA notice on Sekirei?
I made this post in my FTP thread, but since nobody goes there, I thought I'd find some other place to bitch generate discussion on.

At about 3:00 yesterday afternoon in the midst of my CS homework, I got the following e-mail.

Quote:
Source:
IP Address: 198.82.106.142 (hc6526a8e.dhcp.vt.edu)
Timestamp: Fri Sep 05 15:54:43 EDT 2008
Type: BitTorrent
Files: 3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Content:
File Name: [Chihiro]_Sekirei_09_[h264][C8BCD545].mkv
Title: Sekirei
File Size: 241197747
URL: http://tpb.tracker.thepiratebay.org/announce
File Name: [Chihiro]_Sekirei_08_[h264][4FE8F8A0].mkv
File Size: 240816129
URL: http://nyaatorrents.info:3277/announce
File Name: [Chihiro]_Sekirei_09_[XviD][7986BED8].avi
File Size: 175757312
URL: http://nyaatorrents.info:3277/announce

================================================== ===========
Mr. ***********,

It has come to our attention that copyrighted material is or was available for public access from a computer in your room.
Specifically, (a) copyrighted copy(ies) of...

File Name: [Chihiro]_Sekirei_09_[XviD][7986BED8].avi
File Name: [Chihiro]_Sekirei_08_[h264][4FE8F8A0].mkv
File Name: [Chihiro]_Sekirei_09_[h264][C8BCD545].mkv

...has (have) been found available to the public via your network connection numbered TP01D in 234 PAYNE Hall.

It is our understanding this (these) copy(ies) is (are) not authorized for reproduction or distribution at your site. This notice is
sent to all roommates in the identified room. It pertains to the individual whose computer is connected to the above-listed portal
(or Ethernet connection).

Unauthorized use of Virginia Tech communications facilities and disregard for intellectual and artistic property rights are
violations of Virginia Tech's Policies: #7000 - "Acceptable Use of Computer and Communication Systems" and, "Acceptable Use of
Information Systems at Virginia Tech".

Additionally, ***>this activity violates federal and/or state copyright laws and may constitute a criminal violation, subjecting you
to both criminal and civil legal charges.<*** Information on related legal issues my be reviewed at the URL:

Stanford Copyright & Fair Use Center

>>> READ THIS CAREFULLY...
If you do not send an e-mail reply to this message within twenty-four hours (one business day) of the time this note was sent,
commenting on your involvement or knowledge of this incident and confirming you have ceased unauthorized sharing of copyrighted
files, your network access will be curtailed. It will not be reactivated until you send e-mail to ************** to confirm
that the problem with your computer has been resolved.

THIS CASE IS BEING REFERRED TO THE UNIVERSITY'S JUDICIAL AFFAIRS OFFICE FOR FURTHER ACTION. Judicial Affairs may be contacted by
phone at ********* or by e-mail to **************.

NOTE: Refer any technical questions or comments on this matter to 4Help by calling ******** (********* or, ******* on campus) or via
the web at ***********.

================================================== ===========
Stuff blurted out for obvious reasons.

After doing some research, I found that I wasn't the only person to get this. Apparently, Aniplex is using a company called BayTSP in the US to send out DMCA notices on their works. I can only assume that my DMCA letter (though I have yet to actually _see_ it) is from BayTSP. Seems that they had crawlers obtaining IP address from torrents and sending the notice to the obtained IP addresses.

For the average person, this doesn't mean much, but for the college student, this gets blown a tiny bit out of proportion, because, as you can see above, I get thrown a judicial referral, which usually means some formal warning and a seminar about copyright protection and whatnot.

So, at the very least, if you're downloading Sekirei recently, I'd advise against using BitTorrent to do so. The known list also includes Tetsuwan Birdy Decode and I've heard some talk about Persona - Trinity Soul also falling under a similar issue.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #44]

Jul 31, 2008 - 02:46 PM
What do you suppose they're doing with my package?
Any guesses for the explanation behind my package?

Seriously, I'm an hour away from Amazon's warehouse. Where's my Disgaea?

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (6 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #43]

Jul 24, 2008 - 06:30 AM
This man is awesome.
So if you didn't know, I just bought a brand new PSP off of eBay (For a whopping $117, courtesy of eBay's 10% off promotional code and an ironic help from Microsoft Live's cash back program, which refunded another 25% off.)

I bought the order and paid sometime Monday night, and I was told that it would take 1 - 2 days to process the order. Unfortunately, I'm leaving for home temporarily on Friday, which means, if it gets here over the weekend, that would leave the PSP out on my doorstep for the entire weekend, which, I don't trust as much. Tuesday passed, and I didn't get any tracking information. OK, I guess it's going to be 2 days then.

Wednesday (yesterday) passed slowly and I still didn't get any. I sent a message to ask about the status of the order last night.

So this morning, I woke up to a reply.

Quote:
Hi,

No bother at all. I apologize for the delay in getting tracking info out...I just got back from out of town.

In any case, tracking has been emailed to your PayPal email address and has an ETA of today.

Thanks again for contacting me!
Holy shit. ETA of today? How in the hell did you get a package from New York to Northern Virginia in less than a day?

Quote:
Scheduled Delivery: 07/24/2008
Shipped To: ASHBURN,VA,US,
Shipped/Billed On: 07/22/2008
That makes much more sense. I just didn't get the tracking number for a while.

Quote:
LAUREL,
MD, US
07/23/2008 7:46 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
07/23/2008 12:27 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
SADDLE BROOK,
NJ, US
07/23/2008 3:05 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
07/23/2008 12:50 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
MASPETH,
NY, US
07/22/2008 11:51 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
07/22/2008 7:27 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US
07/22/2008 6:00 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
So all is well, and I'll have a brand new PSP for the weekend. Panic averted.

Currently Playing: Soon to be my new PSP.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (0 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #42]

Jul 22, 2008 - 02:45 PM
Maybe I should finish some of these games...
I'm pretty sure I have one of the worst completion rates out there.

This graph isn't exactly reassuring either, seeing as the wrong line is climbing.

Maybe I should play more games or something. Except:

Maybe I should actually try to beat them, instead of just having them active. To be honest, I'm not sure why I started Pokemon Emerald anyway. I just finished Pokemon Diamond. Fire Emblem 6 has been going on for a while now, I'm on chapter 13 or something, but I haven't touched it in about a month. I started La Pucelle Tactics a while back after I finished Kingdom Hearts, but that's been left untouched for the past 3 weeks or so. Etrian Odyssey, I am actively playing because I want to finish it before EO2. Nocturne was somewhat active before Pokemon Diamond came along. I think I should be fairly close to the end of Atelier Iris by now. I've logged about 36 hours? Though admittedly, a lot of that was doing the shop synthesis, which is strangely fun. Mario Kart Wii and Tales of Symphonia haven't been touched for a while now. Mario Kart Wii just continuously pisses me off with bullshit, and I'm not sure why I haven't gone back to Symphonia.

On a separate note, I need a better banner. The default gets old quickly.

Currently Playing: See entry.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (5 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #41]

Apr 4, 2008 - 06:09 PM
Because Miles said so.
As willed by Miles.

To think of the amount of influence GFF has on me. (Even if I was going to get this eventually.)

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #40]

Apr 2, 2008 - 07:37 PM
Playing some more PS2 Catchup: Ar Tonelico
Ar Tonelico came in today.

Everything looked pretty spiffy, except for the disc. I'm just being picky here, but I have some right to do so. The description says very explicitly:

Quote:
The case is perfect, game disk is perfect(no scratches or anything),manual is perfect, art book is perfect, slip cover has a small dent at the top of the cover.
Well, everything is indeed perfect, and the slip cover does have a small dent at the top of the cover, but the game disc is most definitely not free of scratches. Most of it is just dirty, but there are 3 distinct scratches on the disc. Granted, they're very light, and I'll probably still keep it as it doesn't interfere with anything. (Just to describe how light the scratches are, it's hard to capture well on a camera, but if you hold it in your hands near a light source, they're quite distinct.)

Outer box itself. And yeah, you can see the minor dent at the top. (Or maybe you can't, it's really minor.)

The Art Book. Pretty much Flawless.

The Case. Also flawless. That is one damn fine case.

The Manual. If not perfect, damn close to it.

And the game. It's only like this on one part of the disc. It's so light that it could be the seller brushing off dust with a tissue and having the tissue scratch it. (I've done it before, I know what happens.) It took me a few shots to get any scratches to show up in the picture, just to give another idea of how light the scratches are.

Overall, I'm happy. I'm not terribly anal, at least not anal enough to demand a refund for some light scratches.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (1 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #39]

Mar 27, 2008 - 09:41 PM
One hell of an expensive journal entry....Part II
So the final piece of the puzzle comes in the mail today:

The outer case itself. Damn fine condition.

Pop it open. The soundtrack's place in the case is quite nice. The side of the front page of the manual leaves a bit to be desired, but still damn good condition.

Flipping the OST CD over, we find the actual game CD.

Finally, the condition of the disc: Damn Fine Condition. (maybe a bit dirty, but a few spins in the PS2 and that'll all dissipate.)

Good times.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (2 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #38]

Mar 26, 2008 - 03:53 PM
One hell of an expensive journal entry
So I just got something in the mail today...

(This one might still be blurry).

Just the box containing the two games, this time clear.

Side view of the set, looking at the game sides

First thing to come out. Supposedly, this only came with Pre-orders:

Then DDS2, next to the original placeholder for it. And yes, DDS2 is sealed.

Then DDS1, obviously open, but indeed "phenomenal condition".

Last, but not least, DDS1 soundtrack.

Yeah, definitely broke.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [2] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (6 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #37]

Mar 25, 2008 - 07:18 AM
Happily broke
Well, I shouldn't say that I'm happy about being broke (relatively speaking).

So over the course of the past 2 weeks, I've been scouring eBay for a PS2 and some rare games for it. And since the PS2 had a bunch of really good RPGs, I ended up buying quite a few of them. Included in this list:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
Tales of Legendia
Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny
Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm
Ar Tonelico
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
Odin Sphere
La Pucelle Tactics
Phantom Brave
Stella Deus
Makai Kingdom
Xenosaga III
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2

And then...the single non-RPG I picked up:

Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection (aka MGS Boxset)

Through all of this I have used over $700 in games within 2 weeks. (playing through all of these will take a few years...) I am ridiculously bad with money. I really do need a job, but I've been saying this for a while now.

Unfortunately, I don't have a memory card yet...

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (6 comments)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #36]

Mar 19, 2008 - 01:07 PM
I hate Computer Science
Mildly annoyed
More specifically, I hate the bullshit I have to deal with. Submitting programs into automated graders is a bad idea, especially when you consider how many ways of writing any given program is possible. People can take different approaches, yet using a computer grader limits other, possibly better or easier, alternatives. I much preferred when I had a programming class in Computer Engineering where all we had to do was to write a program and make it work, taking whichever approach we wanted to. That and there's no computer grading my shit, so I don't have to worry about formatting output exactly to the way they want it.

Forcing me to follow a specific interface that I have no control over sucks balls. It usually means whatever approach I did have in mind when thinking about it has to be warped to match their interface, and that usually doesn't end well. I see what they're trying to establish with this, but programming is too "free" to be constraining us to interfaces. It's like telling an artist to create art while limiting their tools and what they can create. Granted, it'd still work, but you usually lose some individuality (and no doubt, personal style as well) to the piece of art that results.

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #35]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Omnislash124's Journal