Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Admiral Amara's Journal

Journal Banner
Ah, the good old days. Before people asked left and right: "Adama?" When Pangalin was still a member called Pangalin, and I ran into him once and got nominated for an award. When Mucknuggle still had the first post in the Music Exposure Club. My disastrous thread-making incident. When Crash was still smarter than me - wait, that one hasn't changed. When Zephyrin was still a *%&tard, even though I thought he was a girl that one time. When nobody knew who I was at all outside of the MEC. When I couldn't count to my user number without spending days and days on the task. When ChocoJournal was bright and new, and I actually updated. Yep. Good times.

Admiral Amara's Journal Statistics
View Admiral Amara's profile
Entries 168 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 2 entries are private (1.19% of total)
Views 70617
Replies Admiral Amara has made 866 comments [view stats]
Comments 965 comments (5.74 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 72 props given to Admiral Amara [who be proppin?]
Buddies 68 buddies
Relation You are not Admiral Amara's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries
Dec 18, 2006 - 05:22 PM
GFF NE Mini-Meet!
Christmas >.>
Inspired by the wonderful card I received from Sassafrass today in the mail, I've decided that I actually want to make a New England Mini-Meet happen. Sassu pointed out that sprouticus and Seris both live up here as well as her and Dopefish, and considering that Dopefish's house is within biking distance (if I really want to bike for like an hour), I think we should meet in Portsmouth, NH. It seems like a logical sort of "middle point", and it'd make Dope's life pretty easy, too. We could hang out downtown, maybe have some Joe's New York Pizza or eat at the Friendly Toast or Gilley's, whatever. There's also Bullmoose Music, the theatre, and all of downtown to hang out it.

Oh, and something else I almost forgot - Stoob would enjoy coming along to a Mini-Meet like this, because he and I live in the same town. ^__^ If we wanted to get something together over Winter Break, maybe on a Saturday so that Stoob could tag along, that'd be super-neat. Just a Portsmouth hang-out day in early January.

So, Sass, Dope, sprout, Seris, and anybody else nearby Portsmouth, NH that would be interested in such a thing, comment or PM to talk about possible dates.

Oh, and thanks again for the card, Sass. It was a really nice card, and I was all smiley when I was done.

Currently Playing: Sonic Youth - Stereo Sanctity

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (29 tactics)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #146]

Dec 14, 2006 - 03:51 AM
PANDA PANDA PANDA
PANDA
...also known as "best song ever".

Deerhoof are such a ridiculous and fun band, and "Panda Panda Panda" is no exception - in fact, it's pretty much the definitive example of the band's craziness. This is just one of those songs that puts me in a good mood - it's hard not to be cheery when Satomi Matsuzaki is singing "Pan-da pan-da pan-da pan-da pan- DEE DEE" and the like in her cute, childish, birdlike voice alongside clangy, chiming guitar riffs and snazzy percussion. It's such a loose song, but that works - it doesn't try to make sense, and it's just too much fun to listen to. There's this inexplicable, subtle warmth to it as well; I really have no idea what it is. This song just makes me feel all ^_____^

Listen and enjoy.

Also motioning for a dancing Panda smiley or a "Panda Panda Panda" smiley.

Currently Playing: Deerhoof - Panda Panda Panda

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [2] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (5 tactics)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #145]

Dec 3, 2006 - 06:49 PM
Obligatory inclusion of Yama into my Journal title.
DESU
So I ate a Belgian Waffle today for breakfast.

Does that make me a cannibal?

Because I tasted SO DAMN GOOD.

Currently Playing: Will Gattis Trio - Guitar

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (8 tactics)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #144]

Nov 14, 2006 - 01:24 AM
Admiral Amara, Music, and You: E
is for...
I am sorry that I'm so late with this "Admiral Amara, Music, and You" update, which I promised I'd have up yesterday. Well, if you live on the West Coast, I guess it's still Monday, but for me, I missed my deadline. For the second part of the Double Edition of the series, I've chosen two artists and uploaded two albums by one of them! I will still have an "F" entry up later today (or tomorrow, for some of you) as scheduled.

I should start archiving these or something.

PLEASE TELL ME WHEN LINKS START TO EXPIRE. (PM works best)

E.S. Posthumus

Album upload: Unearthed

You might recognize some - okay, a lot - of the music on this album. All of the tracks have been liscenced for use in such places as movie trailers. Perhaps this is because the music that E.S. Posthumus creates is brilliant, epic stuff, and plenty of fun to listen to. "Pompeii" achieved a share of notoriety through a series of YTMND fads and memes (notably "Hax War"). Everything on here has wonderful touches of atmosphere, and the blend of electronica convention and danceable percussion with classical composition techniques and instrumentation is pulled off incredibly.

Album download

Sample downloads:
Pompeii [Unearthed]
Tikal (DJ Tiesto remix)

Explosions in the Sky

Album upload: How Strange, Innocence

Ah, Explosions in the Sky. A Post-Rock band out of Texas, the foursome was signed to Temporary Residence based on half a listen of their demo. This upload is, in fact, that demo - and I can most certainly understand the label's willingness to pick these guys up. The quartet looks, on the outside, like your standard Rock get-up - two guitarist, bass, and drums. However, the music created by these conventional instruments is entirely unconventional. EitS have a knack for blending guitar and bass lines to create interesting affect, melody and counter-melody, as well as the ability to throw out powerful walls of sound. The band is young, and sounds young and new on this album, with instruments not always even in tune with each other. How Strange, Innocence is no less wonderful for it - the sonic landscapes created by the band are extraordinary, and this shows remarkable gusto for a first release.

Album download

Album upload: The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

This is a fantastic album. Seriously. It flows perfectly from start to finish, crafting absolutely beautiful melodies and harmonies, with rich guitar lines mixing perfectly throughout. My mother is not big into Post-Rock (at all), as she often finds it "repetitive" and unpleasant. However, she thinks "Your Hand In Mine" is quite pretty, possibly because it's one of the most beautiful songs written in a long time. Seriously. You have to hear this. The only real complaint that I have is the lack of instrumental variety - songs blend so well, it's hard to tell them apart sometimes.

Album download

Sample downloads:
Greet Death [Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever]
Day Four [The Rescue]

Currently Playing: Explosions in the Sky - Your Hand In Mine

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [5] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (11 tactics)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #143]

Nov 13, 2006 - 12:42 AM
Admiral Amara, Music, and You: D
is for DOU
Today's edition of "Admiral Amara, Music, and You" is a DOUBLE EDITION! That's right, folks. Instead of one letter today, you're getting TWO! E will be coming later on in the day. However, it's not just the letters getting doubled - in this entry (D), sample downloads are doubled for one artist, giving you more of an opportunity to listen to that particular artist before listening, as well as more tracks not from the uploaded album!

The next entry (E) will be a double-album entry - one of the selections will have not one, but two albums uploaded! Exciting!

Deerhoof

Album upload: The Runners Four

You may know Deerhoof, even if you don't realise it - would it ring a bell if I said "the panda song" or "Panda Panda Panda"? Yes, yes, it's THAT Deerhoof. A strange, Experimental/Arty/Whatever Alternative group with a cute-voiced Asian girl on vocals (the guy who sang on this album is now out of the band, actually). Some bands and genres have been identified as "mixing honey and vinegar" - with Deerhoof, it's more like pure sugar and, say, curry. Poppy melodies and catchy guitar licks merge with onslaughts of sharp attack and feedback noise or whatever the hell else the band felt like doing. Take the first track, for example - two guitars playing extremely crisp, precise staccato attacks while a bird-like voice floats on top singing obtuse lyrics about... well, who knows. You can barely understand her as it is. It was cuter when she was singing "Pan-da, pan-da, pan-da!" Don't let these comments fool you, though - the end result of the band's reckless, ritalin-deprived adventuring is truly an experience, and when Deerhoof write an actual song, it's awesome.

Album download

Sample downloads:
Running Thoughts [The Runners Four]
Wrong Time Capsule [The Runners Four]

Dinosaur Jr.

Album upload: You're Living All Over Me

Dinosaur Jr. were a product of the New York Punk scene, which had already spit out Art-Punk pioneers and feedback wizards Sonic Youth. Incidentally, Sonic Youth were instrumental in Dinosaur Jr.'s success. Right off the bat, that's some good credit to this band's name, at least as far as I'm concerned. J. Mascis really took the helm of the band, and his style of American Punk is plenty Alternative in approach. There is no set form to the band's songs; in fact, "Sludgefeast" lacks a chorus entirely. Not as dangerously experimental as Sonic Youth (save for "Poledo"), but not as outrightly simplistic as other Punk acts, Dinosaur Jr. created a wonderful meeting of energy, enthusiasm, and artistry on 1987's You're Living All Over Me. The album as a whole is short, catchy, full of great guitar work and really, really solid.

Oh, yeah, and they covered Frampton. And wrecked the shit out of it. That's gotta count for something.

Album download

Sample downloads:
Kracked [You're Living All Over Me]
In a Jar [You're Living All Over Me]
Out There [Where You Been]
On The Way [Where You Been]

Currently Playing: Dinosaur Jr. - Not The Same

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [2] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (7 tactics)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #142]

Nov 12, 2006 - 08:47 PM
Admiral Amara, Music, and You: C
is for COO
Time for another epic installment of "Admiral Amara, Music, and You"! Today's letter is C, third in the alphabet, on this, the third day of my journal series. This one shows yet more variation in my musical library, and I hope you enjoy these new additions!

Carbon Leaf

Album upload: Indian Summer

Carbon Leaf are a very agreeable Pop/Rock band from Richmond, VA, and have been putting out albums since 1995. Indian Summer, their 2004 effort, is incredibly consistent and even, as well as catchy and varied. Acoustic leanings and the introduction of a variety of instruments often gives the album a Celtic feel, mixed at certain points with Country feel and Rock sensibilities. Lyricism is an important element of Carbon Leaf's music, and the clever writing is one of my favorite things to listen for. Take the single, "Life Less Ordinary", for example, in which "I'm a saddened man/I'm a broken boy/I'm a toddler with a complex toy/I'm falling apart/Since the ambush on your heart." Every element blends nicely together to create a pleasant listening experience.

Album download

Sample downloads:
This Is My Song! [Indian Summer]
Let Your Troubles Roll By [Indian Summer]

Christopher O'Reily

Album upload: True Love Waits: Christopher O'Reily Plays Radiohead

2003 saw the release of True Love Waits. On the album, classical pianist Christopher O'Riley's created 15 solo piano arrangements of various Radiohead songs, a remarkable feat considering the complexity of Radiohead's work. In doing so, O'Riley works to make each piece his own, while staying generally inside the structure and framework of the original songs. Generally, he succeeds. In particular, tracks like "You" and the lead-off "Everything In Its Right Place" are shimmering works of elegance that maintain an excellent level of faithfullness to their original pieces, while "Thinking About You" takes a radical departure, in which only the chord changes and melody notes are recognizable as having anything to do with Radiohead's version. If you're a Radiohead fan, this is an excellent listen, breathing new life into old favorites. If you're not, then True Love Waits is still an intriguing listen simply due to its nature, as well as the incredible skill of the performer. Chris is really good at what he does.

Album download

Sample downloads:
Let Down [True Love Waits]
You [True Love Waits]

Currently Playing: Christopher O'Riley - Fake Plastic Trees

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (5 tactics)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #141]

Nov 12, 2006 - 12:40 AM
It is now in my possession.
Panic!ky
Yes, friends, I have now indeed placed my hands upon a (burned) copy of Panic! at the Disco's smash hit album A Fever You Can't Sweat Out. I can now commence the proper listening that I promised to give it before any further chewing of the notorious out variety.

In plain English - I'm gonna listen to this sucker and then rip all over it. But I am giving it a fair trial first. Let it be noted, though, that I'm REALLY not impressed so far.

Currently Playing: Panic! at the Disco - Nails for Breakfast, Tacks for Snaks

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (10 tactics)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #140]

Nov 11, 2006 - 04:03 PM
Admiral Amara, Music, and You: B
Letter B
It's now time for another installment of "Admiral Amara, Music, and You"! Today's letter is B, and here are two more really great artists and albums in our alphabetic exploration of my musical taste. Do yourself and read Krelian's journal as well; it was from him that I stole this idea. He deserves credit for the idea.

Let's dive in, shall we?

Boards of Canada

Album Upload: Music Has The Right To Children

Huge, huge, HUGE thanks to the MEC for this one. This album is what kick-started my real interest in Experimental Electronica, and was a great launching pad for my interest in artists like Aphex Twin and Massive Attack. BoC have a real knack for creating a unique sonic environment; in particular they find interesting ways to inject a certain warmth into a purely electronic sound, particularly in "Roygbiv" and "An Eagle In Your Mind", and more esoteric, short tracks like "The Color Of The Fire" and "Bocuma". Their textural landscaping and excellent use of sampling and fresh, clever beats is what keeps me coming back for more, and part of what makes this an essential Electronica masterpiece. If you're a fan of Electronic music, you owe it to yourself to listen to this. Even if you're not, this gem of an album and some quality time with it has a good chance of converting you. I know it turned me on to it.

Oh, and the bass riff in "Aquarius" owns. So does the mixed vocal sampling.

Album Download

Sample downloads:
An Eagle In Your Mind [Music Has The Right To Children]
Aquarius [Music Has The Right To Children]

Burton Wagner

Album upload: In The Realms of the Unreal

Recorded using only a single guitar, an effects pedal, and the free Audacity program, Burton Wagner's self-produced In the Realms of the Unreal is as Indie as it gets. And the authenticity that most Indie artists strive for is there manyfold - the music created is meant to depict, musically, the artworks of abstract surrealist Henry Darger. As such, it is extremely difficult to classify this music. It would fall under the umbrella category of Post Rock, especially as per the original definition of the genre: Rock instruments used in distinctly non-Rock ways. Burton's guitar playing layers sound upon sound in waves that roll and wash over the listener, flowing alternating between emotions with ease. He can turn on a dime from pleasant imagery of consonant chords and polite melody to harsh, violent emotion that overpowers the listener; alternately, he can build long, dramatic rises and falls with exceptional tension; at other times, he throws in dynamic, sequential, two-guitar attacks reminiscent of Explosions in the Sky. He incorporates so many different approaches into this record as to make it impossible to label in a short way without saying "Post Rock". He is certainly "experimental". He knows how to create "Ambience" at any given moment, and also is well-versed in using techniques found in "Noise". It's production value is underwhelming, but that's to be expected from the single most "Indie" release on the planet. Burton doesn't want money or fame. He just wants to make music and get his music out there. You have to respect that.

Album Download

Sample downloads:
The Vivian Girls of Abbiennia [In The Realms of the Unreal]
(sister) [In The Realms of the Unreal]

Currently Playing: Boards of Canada - Roygbiv

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 tactics)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #139]

Nov 11, 2006 - 03:45 AM
[03:30] AdmiralAmara2: YEAH [03:30] EdibleDragon: YE- NO!
YEAH
Tritoch and I basically had a conversation for several minutes parsed entirely out of stream of conciousness. Or something like that. We basically just kinda went back and forth with things that may or may not have been vaguely related to whatever the last person typed. Needless to say, it was awesome.

Note the time difference between the first two messages in the sequence.
Quote:
[03:03] AdmiralAmara2: Cliffhangerish!
[03:30] AdmiralAmara2: So, YEAH
[03:30] EdibleDragon: YEAH
[03:30] AdmiralAmara2: YEAH
[03:30] EdibleDragon: YEAH
[03:30] AdmiralAmara2: YEAH
[03:30] EdibleDragon: YE- NO!
[03:30] AdmiralAmara2: AUGH
[03:30] EdibleDragon: AUUUGH
[03:31] AdmiralAmara2: OH NO
[03:31] EdibleDragon: BABIES
[03:31] AdmiralAmara2: O GOD
[03:31] EdibleDragon: WHAT THE-
[03:31] AdmiralAmara2: NONONONO
[03:31] EdibleDragon: GANGRENOUS
[03:31] AdmiralAmara2: NOT ALLOWED
[03:32] EdibleDragon: IN SWEDEN
[03:32] AdmiralAmara2: NO, NOTHING
[03:32] EdibleDragon: PANIC!
[03:32] AdmiralAmara2: AT THE DISCO
[03:33] EdibleDragon: IN THE FRUIT LOOPS AISLE
[03:33] AdmiralAmara2: FUCKING SHIT
[03:33] EdibleDragon: YOU BASTARD
[03:33] AdmiralAmara2: GODDAMN IT
[03:34] EdibleDragon: EDIBLE SATAN
[03:34] AdmiralAmara2: PERSONAL JESUS
[03:34] EdibleDragon: JESUS WHORE
[03:34] AdmiralAmara2: DIRTY WHORESON
[03:34] EdibleDragon: CONAN O'BRIAN
[03:35] AdmiralAmara2: LEAF-EYED SONS OF BITCHES
[03:35] EdibleDragon: KITTEN PILE
[03:36] AdmiralAmara2: ATTENTION SHOPPERS!
[03:36] EdibleDragon: BLUE LIGHT DANGER
[03:36] AdmiralAmara2: MARTHA STEWART BITCH
[03:36] EdibleDragon: POTPOURRI FIGHT
[03:37] AdmiralAmara2: ...AND THE COCK CROWS
[03:37] EdibleDragon: AT MIDNIGHT
[03:37] AdmiralAmara2: ABBOT AND COSTELLO
[03:38] AdmiralAmara2: I think I just won
[03:38] EdibleDragon: WHAT HOW
[03:38] AdmiralAmara2: You stopped responding
[03:38] EdibleDragon: I'M FIGHTING TANKS
[03:38] AdmiralAmara2: What?
[03:38] EdibleDragon: AND BUNNICORNS
[03:38] AdmiralAmara2: WHAT?
[03:38] EdibleDragon: YOU HEARD ME
I love late-night conversations. Nonsense a go-go!

Oh, and that last one, "ABBOT AND COSTELLO", that one actually relates to "AT MIDNIGHT", and only so many people would actually catch that bit of reference humor. In one of their better sketches, Abbot and an unnamed female repeat, back and forth, the phrase "at midnight". Just for all of you trivia buffs to know.

Currently Playing: Coldplay - Moses [Live 2003 bonus CD]

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 tactics)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #138]

Nov 10, 2006 - 12:56 PM
Admiral Amara, Music, and You: A
Kool Thing
I am starting a new ChocoJournal series in this here entry. I was browsing CJ this morning, and read a nifty entry by Krelian, and I was struck with inspiration. I borrowed (nay, stole, ripped off, et cetera) from his latest entry, the idea of going through music I love alphabetically. You can read Krelian's entry here. I've decided upon some specific rules for this:

1. For each letter, I choose 2 bands.
2. For each band, one album and 2 sample tracks.
2a. The sample tracks do not have to be from the uploaded album.
3. A brief commentary on the band/album will precede each set of downloads.
4. The albums are all awesome, mmkay?

Let's start with a recent love of mine, which I've recently journaled about.

A Silver Mt. Zion

Album upload: He Has Left Us Alone, but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms

Commentary/album link are here

I will make one additional note apart from what you'll find in the link below: these people have the longest freaking album titles this side of Fiona Apple, not to mention bulky track titles. It's not so much fun to type these things out repeatedly.

Sample downloads:
Sit In the Middle of Three Galloping Dogs [He Has Left Us Alone, but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms]
Babylon was Built on Fire/Starsnostars ["This is our punk rock," thee rusted satellites gather+sing]

Alexi Murdoch

Album upload: Time Without Consequence

Alexi Murdoch is a very quiet, sincere fingerpicking-Folkist Indie Rock guy (try saying that five times fast), and I love him for it. The music is typically sparsely accompanied, focusing mostly on Alexi's voice and guitar, both of which are typically hushed. He's typically compared to the likes of Nick Drake, a fact that I'm sure this Scotsman relishes in. Many of us have probably heard "Orange Sky", perhaps not even realising it. For anybody who enjoys incredibly relaxing music, this guy is your man. The biggest surprise of the album for me was the exceptional "12" - a track that mixes sound samples and what I think are complicated hemiolas at the beginning with an overall tone that is a blend of Sigur Ros and Coldplay - acoustic guitar strumming, pleasantly rounded bass lines, shimmering slide guitar, and Alexi's repeated cries of "shine" all surrounded by a level of atmosphere that most Post-Rock artists strive for.

Album download

Sample downloads:
Breathe [Time Without Consequence]
Orange Sky [Time Without Consequence]

Currently Playing: Cake - Meanwhile, Rick James...

[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #137]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Admiral Amara's Journal