Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Rockgamer's Journal

Stuff.

Rockgamer's Journal Statistics
View Rockgamer's profile
Entries 386 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 0 entries are private (0% of total)
Views 136359
Replies Rockgamer has made 3260 comments [view stats]
Comments 2827 comments (7.32 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 83 props given to Rockgamer [who be proppin?]
Buddies 40 buddies
Relation You are not Rockgamer's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries [Viewing Single Entry]
May 28, 2009 - 04:33 AM
The tl;dr entry on TV show cancellations, 2008-09 Season
Response to: The tl;dr entry on TV show cancellations, 2007-08 Season by Rockgamer

For the third year now, I've once again visited http://tvseriesfinale.com/ and compiled together their lists of cancelled shows and added my own commentary as well. Nothing has changed from last year, as the list are still divided up by network, with my commentary following each show in spoiler tags, and any clickable links taking you to a previous journal entry where I first talked about the show. Unfortunately, The CW still hasn't died yet, though it may happen yet.

ABC:
According to Jim - This old-style sitcom about a headstrong contractor and his beautiful wife was successful in its early seasons but, by season five, the ratings really started to decline. Still, the network kept renewing it and the sitcom managed to survive for eight seasons.

Spoiler:
I've caught an episode or two of this show, but I could never get into it. It's lasted long enough though, so it doesn't seem like anyone should complain about it ending.

Boston Legal - The quirky legal drama that centers around attorneys at the Boston law firm of Crane, Poole and Schmidt. Due to a decline in viewership and attracting an older demographic, the network closed the show after five seasons.

Spoiler:
Good riddance! I fucking loved The Practice (I'd say it's in my top 10 shows of all time), but I hated this show. It was such a shitty follow-up to one of the best shows of all time, and it made me hate William Shatner. I just cannot see what the appeal of this show was, and I'm kinda glad it's over.

Cupid - A remake of the short-lived 1990s series of the same name, this show didn’t last as long as the original. Will we ever find out if Trevor is really Cupid — in either version?

Spoiler:
I was always puzzled as to why they wanted to remake a show that wasn't very good (ratings-wise anyway, never actually saw the show) in the first place. Regardless, the previews for this show just didn't appeal to me, and I never watched it.

Dirty Sexy Money - Even lawyer Nick George couldn’t save the Darling clan from being cancelled. ABC opted not to order a full second season and hasn’t gotten around to airing the remaining four installments.

Spoiler:
This is one of the few shows that I actually give a damn that ABC cancelled. It had a good cast, interesting characters, and intriguing storylines, and overall was probably the best of all the primetime soap-like shows ABC had on at the time. It really sucks how they just swiftly cancelled it, with no proper ending and a few unaired episodes left (they're supposed to air over the summer, but we'll see if that happens). Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Eli Stone - A successful lawyer begins to have visions that put his life in turmoil and take him on a personal and spiritual journey. ABC decided against ordering a full second season.

Spoiler:
I watched the first episode, and while it wasn't terrible, it just didn't seem like something I'd want to keep watching. It sucks that it was cancelled in the same way as Dirty Sexy Money and Pushing Daisies, but other than that I can't say I feel too bad about it.

Homeland Security - A documentary-style show that follows men and women who help to keep our nation safe. ABC thought that the public would find this interesting. They didn’t and the network cancelled it.

Spoiler:
Never watched the show, but I'm sure that cancelling is pretty un-American. Fuck you ABC, terrorist bastards.

In the Motherhood - Based on a web series, this sitcom looks at the challenges of juggling motherhood with work and love lives in a complicated modern world. The sitcom was pulled after four episodes and the last three installments will run next month. It won’t be back for season two.

Spoiler:
It looked mildly amusing from the previews (Cheryl Hines <3), but I never did end up watching it. Everything I heard about it wasn't that good though, so that was probably a good thing.

Life on Mars - A remake of a UK show of the same name, the series was struggling to hold onto its audience for its first handful of episodes. Then, the network put it on hiatus for three months and things got even worse. Thankfully the producers had enough time to wrap up the ongoing mystery.

Spoiler:
While this show wasn't terrible, it really didn't need to be made. The original UK show was much better, and this one just paled in comparison. I guess it was intriguing enough if you hadn't seen the original, but it still wasn't anything special. The show was able to wrap up though, so no one should really feel bad about it.

Opportunity Knocks - The Aston Kutcher reality game show was pulled from the schedule after three installments were aired. The rest may see the light of day eventually but they aren’t making any more.

Spoiler:
As I said originally, this was better than what you would expect from this type of show, but overall it was still meh. I doubt anyone is crying over this one.

Pushing Daisies - The piemaker with the magic touch couldn’t save his own series from the grim reaper. It ran for two short seasons and the network has yet to air the final three installments.

Spoiler:
While of course I'm angry as fuck over this, I can't say it's unexpected. This show even getting a second season was kind of a second chance, and it still wasn't able to deliver in the ratings. To be honest, it kind of even failed creatively at the beginning of the season, though it managed to get back to being awesome as the season went on. I'm just glad it lasted for as long as it did, and I'll always have the blu-rays around to watch whenever I want to remember how awesome this show was. There was talk about the show continuing in some form (movie, comic, etc.) but I'm always pretty skeptical about that kind of stuff until I actually see it come to fruition.

Samantha Who? - This sitcom looked very successful when it had a strong lead-in like Dancing with the Stars but few bothered to watch this Christina Applegate show without it. The final episodes are likely to air this Summer.

Spoiler:
This show had an awesome first season, but the second season was beginning to be a drag to watch. I don't know if the final episodes will resolve anything, but I also don't know if I care enough to catch up on this show and watch them anyway.

The Unusuals - An off-beat cop show that took over a Wednesday night timeslot from Life on Mars. ABC wanted this one to work but not enough people were interested. The show won’t be back next season.

Spoiler:
Fuck, I haven't got a chance to watch this yet and it's already cancelled. It looked pretty damn interesting from the previews, but now that I know it's already over I kinda don't even see a point in starting it.

CBS:
Eleventh Hour - A brilliant biophysicist helps the government investigate strange cases. The ratings weren’t too low and the show has a devout following but CBS execs cancelled it after 18 episodes.

Spoiler:
It looked kinda interesting, but I ultimately ended up not even watching it. Not much more to say about except oh well.

The Ex List - A psychic tells a young woman that she’s already dated the man of her dreams and, if she doesn’t marry within a year, she’ll always be alone. The series was pulled after four installments but all 13 episodes were completed for a possible DVD release.

Spoiler:
I tried to like this show, but it was just terrible and I ended up bailing out of it by the second episode. And seriously, how many people are gonna buy this show on DVD? Only around four million people were watching by the time it ended, and I doubt most of them were passionate enough about it to actually buy it. But they already made the shit, so they might as well recoup some of their losses.

Game Show in My Head - A hidden camera show from Ashton Kutcher in which everyday people perform crazy stunts in public to try to win up to $50,000. The show enjoyed a brief eight episode run in January and won’t be back with more.

Spoiler:
Uh, yay? I never watched this show, but I'm pretty sure the less Ashton Kutcher on TV, the better.

Harper's Island - This murder mystery show started out pretty strong but quickly lost viewers. CBS is burning off the existing 13 episodes on Saturday nights. If there was going to be another season, it would have revolved around a new mystery.

Spoiler:
Fuck this show. It premiered at the same time as Southland, and while that show was awesome, this one was pretty terrible. Now that means I'm behind on Southland and have to catch up because I backed a loser. But seriously, I was hoping this would be good (I was getting a kind of Storm of the Century vibe from it), but it just turned out to be generic. Meh, it deserved to be cancelled.

Swingtown - A drama that follows three families in the swinging seventies. CBS ran it during the summer months and it attracted a small but devoted audience. The network tried to find another outlet for season two but couldn’t.

Spoiler:
I had always been kinda interested in this show, but for some reason never got around to watching it. So like most shows that are cancelled before I even watch them, I probably won't ever get around to watching it.

The Unit - This beloved military drama followed the lives of both a special forces team as well as their family members at home. A victim of cost-cutting measures, Dennis Haysbert and company won’t be returning to fight again.

Spoiler:
Oh no they didn't. They did not just cancel the BIG BROWN BEAR. I admit this show has always had its ups and downs, but this latest season in particular had been especially good. I thought it was a pretty stupid move to put it on Sunday nights (mainly because I had to choose between it and Brothers & Sisters), so it's not surprising that when they do it gets cancelled. Unfortunately I haven't got around to finishing this season, but I definitely will since I want to see how it ends (however satisfying or unsatisfying it may be).

Without A Trace - This venerable crime drama about the FBI’s New York Missing Persons Squad is about to go missing itself. Due to budget cuts and sinking ratings, the show won’t be back for season eight.

Spoiler:
I've seen a few episodes and thought it was okay, but that was well after it had premiered. I just filed it as one of those shows I'd probably get around to watching on DVD one day, and I still might. With seven seasons, it sounds like it had a good run, and honestly these procedural shows can end at any time because they're all interchangeable anyway.

Worst Week - Thankfully, we got to see unlucky Sam and his bride have their baby together. Unfortunately, we’ll never get to see if Sam’s klutziness is hereditary. The show has been cancelled after 15 episodes. There was talk of renewing the show as a cheaper, multi-camera sitcom but it didn’t work out.

Spoiler:
This was definitely the best new sitcom of the season, so it sucks that we don't get to see more of it. At the same time, what's there feels pretty complete, so I'd rather have it end now instead of like halfway through the second season. But still, this show was way better than some of the other sitcoms CBS is bringing back next season, so it's sad to see it go while those lesser shows get to stay.

CW:
4Real - This reality series follows celebrities as they travel around the world and meet inspiring community leaders. Eight episodes were produced but only seven aired.

Spoiler:
I can honestly say this is the first show out of any of these lists I've done that I've absolutely never heard of. Bravo, CW! It sounds fucking stupid though, so it's not like anyone is gonna give a flying fuck that it's cancelled.

13: Fear Is Real - A horror-reality show that revolves around 13 contestants trying to survive scary movie scenarios and win $66,666. Unfortunately, the show couldn’t scare up viewers. It’s been cancelled after all eight episodes aired.

Spoiler:
At least I've heard of this one, though I can't say I actually cared enough to watch it. It probably has something to do with the show being on The CW.

Easy Money - Part of the Media Rights Capitol Sunday night line-up, this drama centers around a family of loan sharks. Eight episodes were made but only four saw the light of day.

Spoiler:
The fact that the network can't even program its own Sunday night of programming must tell you something is wrong with this fucking channel. But yeah, I doubt this show was any good, again, because it was on The CW (except not).

Everybody Hates Chris - A semi-autobiographical sitcom about the early life of comic Chris Rock. The show lasted for four seasons and 88 episodes. It was looking pretty certain that the show was going to be cancelled so Rock ended it on his own terms.

Spoiler:
This is another show that I've always wanted to watch but never got around to. I have the first season on DVD, so I probably will one day, and it's good to hear that the show ended properly.

The Game - After three seasons and 64 episodes, Melanie and Derwin were finally married. Since the network is no longer interested in sitcoms, creator Mara Brock Akil pitched an hour-long dramady version of the series for season four but the CW didn’t go for it. There’s been some talk that BET might pick it up.

Spoiler:
Last year they got rid of WWE Friday Night Smackdown (one of their highest rated shows) because it 'didn't fit their image', and now they're getting rid of all their sitcoms (and not to mention their only good show, Reaper)? Why don't they just take the next step and get rid of all of their programming, because all they have left is a bunch of teenybopper soap opera shit.

As for the show, never watched it, so I don't have much of an opinion about it. But if it appeals to BET's audience, it must be fucking terrible. I never thought I'd be saying this, but that'd actually be a step down from The CW if BET did pick it up.

In Harm’s Way - A reality show that details dangerous professions and the people that do them. The show got very low ratings and was pulled after only five episodes had aired. Five installments are still on the shelf.

Spoiler:
What? Yet another show on this list that I've never even heard of? You're really pulling a number here CW, cancelling all these shows no one has ever fucking heard of. As for this show, I'm pretty sure it already exist on THE Discovery Channel, TLC, and The History Channel as fifteen other shows already, so why do we even need another clone?

Privileged - This dramedy stars JoAnna Garcia as a young journalist who becomes a tutor to two spoiled, rich teens. Though the series has a devoted following, it just didn’t attract a large audience. There won’t be a second season.

Spoiler:
This sounds like a show the fucking Disney Channel rejected, so why it was on The CW I have no idea. Either way, it sounds terrible, so whatever.

Reaper - Sam, a young slacker, learns that his parents sold his soul to the devil and, in return, must hunt down escaped souls for the Devil. The fun supernatural series was cancelled after two short seasons and 31 episodes. ABC Studios, who produces the show, is measuring interest from CW affiliates about possibly continuing the series in first-run syndication.

Spoiler:
As much as I hate the fact that this show was cancelled, at least it means I never have to watch The CW again. Seriously though, this was the only good show they had, but I knew it wouldn't last long given what their audience likes. I just hate how it ended on a bit of a cliffhanger, since you know this syndication deal won't pull through (and to be honest, sounds like it might suck if even if it does).

Stylista - A group of fashionista wannabes compete for a junior position at the high-profile Elle magazine. It seemed like a natural partner for America’s Next Top Model but viewers tuned out. All nine episodes aired.

Spoiler:
I've pretty much let out all my anger for The CW in discussing the previous shows, so I can't it even complain too much about them even producing schlock like this.

Valentine - A romantic drama in which a group of Greek gods try to promote love among mortals. Four aired while four other installments are gathering dust on the shelf.

Spoiler:
I must be getting delirious, because that show doesn't sound half bad. Too bad it was on The CW and thus I've never heard about it.

FOX:
Do Not Disturb - A sitcom based in a posh New York City hotel. With bad reviews and few viewers, FOX pulled the plug after three installments aired. Three episodes, including the pilot, were never broadcast.

Spoiler:
Holy crap I wonder how this show even made it onto the air in the first place. It was fucking terrible. Glad it's gone, and good riddance.

Hole in the Wall - A strange game show in which contestants try to quickly contort their bodies to match the cutouts in a rapidly moving wall. There were 26 episodes produced and, to date 18 of them have aired. They may air at some point but there won’t be any more produced.

Spoiler:
Ugh, another terrible Japanese import. They did the right thing in cancelling it, let's just hope they decide to not even air the remaining eps.

MADtv - The fourth network’s answer to Saturday Night Live lasted 14 seasons before FOX pulled the plug. Producers want to find another home for the series but thus far, they don’t appear to have been successful.

Spoiler:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I fucking loved this show. I grew up with this show, damnit. I've pretty much been watching it from the beginning, so this is undoubtedly one of the hardest cancellations of the season for me. I really hope it does manage to find another home somewhere, because I just can't imagine not seeing anymore new episodes of it. I can't think of anything that'll fill the void either, since I've never been an SNL fan. Just fuck.

Osbournes: Reloaded - This strange reality show revolves around the crazy Osbourne family interacting with audience members and outrageous acts to create crazy stunts and comedy. Based on the poor performance of its March 31st preview episode, FOX has cancelled it. Five additional episodes were shot. They may see the light of day at some point but no others will be made.

Spoiler:
I never got the whole Osbournes obsession. They just fucking annoy me, to be honest. Thus, I'm glad to see that this show won't be picked up, because the less of them the better.

Prison Break - The network says that Michael Scofield and frenimies can finally stop running. The prison drama is ending after four seasons. A two-hour follow-up movie has made and is coming to DVD in July. FOX may or may not air it as well.

Spoiler:
Hooray! I feel like I'm the one who has broken out of prison, as now I don't have to suffer through this show anymore. Yeah, I could have just not watched it, but I just felt invested in it after having watched it for so long (I honestly can't think of a show I stopped watching after its first season). Regardless, it's over now (aside from that crappy movie, which I'm already downloading), so yay!

Secret Millionaire - A reality show in which millionaires go undercover in depressed areas and end up awarding money to people in need. The network has said there’s a chance that it may be revived someday but, for now, it’s dead.

Spoiler:
Never watched, but it seemed pretty contrived. Meh.

Sit Down, Shut Up - From creator Mitch Hurwitz, this animated series reunites several Arrested Development castmembers. Unfortunately, the series wasn’t beloved by viewers or critics as much. Four episodes have aired, leaving nine on the shelf. Again, they may air but there won’t be any new ones made.

Spoiler:
Eh, it was an alright show, but it felt dead on arrival. Besides, it's not made by Seth MacFarlane, and we all know you can't be an animated show on FOX unless you were made by Seth MacFarlane (except for The Simpsons, of course).

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - This sci-fi action series lasted just 31 episodes before having its plug pulled. Though you’d think that there’d be a big audience for a small-screen version of the Terminator franchise, not many viewers tuned in.

Spoiler:
This show wasn't bad at all, I just stopped watching it because it got too steeped in Terminator mythology, leaving someone who hasn't watched the movies (like me) left in the dark. I'll definitely watch it eventually, once I get around to watching the films. As for the cancellation, can't say I'm too surprised since its ratings had been pretty abysmal.

NBC:
America's Toughest Jobs - A reality show in which contestants try difficult and dangerous occupations. The winner takes home the combined first year salaries of all of the sampled jobs. The series performed poorly in season one and was shuffled to Saturday nights for its final installments.

Spoiler:
This was yet another show that I was kinda interested in before it aired, but I never did end up watching. I never really heard much about it after it premiered (except that the ratings were bad), so I never really gave it a second thought.

The Baby Borrowers - Based on a UK series of the same name, five young couples get a feel for what it’s like to take care of a baby for three days, then a toddler, a pre-teen, a teenager, and an elderly person. The network took a lot of flack for "borrowing" infants and didn’t even get good ratings.

Spoiler:
I caught a few minutes of this when my mom was watching it one day, and it was fucking terrible. I wanna shoot myself for ever thinking this concept could be semi-interesting.

Celebrity Circus - Pop culture stars are trained in circus acts and then perform for judges and home viewers to stay in the competition. Antonio Sabato, Jr. won the first season’s competition but there won’t be a second year.

Spoiler:
It's because of shit like this that NBC's list of cancelled shows is so fucking long in the first place. Seriously, how many fucking game shows featuring washed up celebrities do we really need?

Celebrity Family Feud - Al Roker (The Today Show) hosts the newest version of the classic TV game show with celebrity families competing for cash prizes that are given to charity. Six episodes were produced and aired but not enough people watched.

Spoiler:
See above.

The Chopping Block - The Chef Ramsay-like reality show was pulled after three installments and terrible ratings. The network immediately began airing the remaining episodes online but will it back on Friday nights in mid-June.

Spoiler:
I was intrigued by the fact that the guy who hosted this show (Marco Pierre White) was the guy who trained Gordon Ramsay, but other than that the show itself seemed pretty bland. Never did watch it, though from what I read about it my thoughts seemed to have been confirmed.

Crusoe - Based on the classic Robinson Crusoe novel, this series never achieved good ratings and was stranded on Saturday nights. All 13 episodes aired.

Spoiler:
I knew I wouldn't like this show, yet I watched it anyway. I turned out to be right, so of course I could care less about the fate of the show. I have no idea how much of the novel it covered, but it doesn't seem like the type of show that could go on forever anyway.

Deal or No Deal - The game show was a great success initially but then the network overexposed it. Audiences became tired of it and ratings dropped off. After four years and 197 episodes, NBC has cancelled the game show. The syndicated version will continue to appear in daytime.

Spoiler:
Wow, the game show that takes no actual skill to win at has been cancelled? Boo hoo. Not only that, but if you've seen one episode of this shit, you've seen them all. At least other game shows have different questions, different puzzles, etc., but this show is exactly the same every time. As for why it was cancelled, it seems to have suffered from the same overexposure that ABC did gave to Who Wants to be a Millionaire? back in the day, which anyone could see coming from a mile a way once this shit started coming on like three times a week.

ER - The venerable NBC medical drama that follows doctors and patients at a Chicago hospital. The show lasted 15 seasons and lots of changes is castmembers.

Spoiler:
RIP, ER. It sucks that I never got to watch this show as it aired, as I jumped on the bandwagon long after it started via the DVD sets, which never caught up to whatever the current season was (the DVDs will only be up to season 11 as of July). While of course I'd want the show to last forever (I know I'm known as a huge 24 fan, but I probably love this show as much as (if not more than) that one), it had very long, very good run, so I have nothing to complain about.

Fear Itself - This series is an anthology of horror/suspense stories, directed by well-known directors like Stuart Gordon, Brad Anderson, John Landis, and Rob Schmidt. Unfortunately, the series couldn’t scare up many viewers and NBC only aired eight of the 13 produced installments.

Spoiler:
Never really cared to watch this show. To be honest, the idea of doing a proper horror story on network television seemed kind of laughable to me, so I'd much rather watch something like Masters of Horror over this.

Howie Do It - A practical jokes series, led by Howie Mandel, that lasted just a single season of 20 installments. The ratings didn’t make the network smile.

Spoiler:
I actually watched more of this show than I care to admit (only because it was the lead-in to Friday Night Lights), but that doesn't mean that I think it was good. I guess if you're into hidden camera shows it's not that bad, but there are plenty of other shows that do it better. I doubt anyone's gonna cry now that it's been cancelled though.

Kath & Kim - A remake of an Australian series, this sitcom revolves around a dysfunctional mother and daughter relationship. Low viewership doomed this series to a 17 episode run.

Spoiler:
Despite thinking that it wasn't that good, and despite knowing that its ratings were terrible and thus it wouldn't be coming back, I actually watched every episode of this show. I don't know, I guess it was a worthy enough time filler for whenever I wanted to watch something but didn't have time or wasn't in the mood for a drama. I wouldn't have minded it coming back for a second season, but I'm not broken up about it or anything.

Kings - NBC had great expectations for this grandiose drama but it didn’t catch on. The final episodes will begin airing on Friday nights next month.

Spoiler:
It sounded like a pretty good show, but once I heard how terrible it was doing in the ratings I didn't even bother to check it out. Usually I don't let things like that stop me, but this season in particular I've been pretty busy with school and stuff and thus didn't feel like wasting my time shows that I knew would be cancelled (which totally contradicts everything I just said above about Kath & Kim, but yeah).

Knight Rider (2008) - This continuation of the 1982 David Hasselhoff series didn’t take off with enough viewers and has been cancelled after a shortened season of 17 episodes.

Spoiler:
I saw a part of the TV movie/backdoor pilot that aired last season and thought it was terrible, so of course I didn't tune in for the series. The last thing I need is for my memories of the original to be raped anyway.

Last Comic Standing - A reality show competition that seeks to find the most talented stand-up comedian. The winner receives his own comedy special and a development deal with NBC. Created by Peter Engel (Saved by the Bell), Standing has been hosted by Jay Mohr, Anthony Clark, Bill Bellamy, and Fearne Cotton. The series ran for six seasons and 59 episodes.

Spoiler:
Fuck, this show was pretty much one of the only summer programs worth giving a damn about, not to mention probably one of the best reality competition shows on the air. It sucks that there won't be another season, but at least I've discovered some pretty funny comedians through it.

Late Night with Conan O’Brien - The late-night talk show host is moving to the West Coast to take over The Tonight Show. O’Brien began as a veritable unknown but the show ran for 2,725 episodes and 16 seasons.

Spoiler:
If this show was getting cancelled without O'Brien moving to The Tonight Show, then I'd be screaming from the mountaintops. Seriously, I fucking hate this guy (he's just not funny at all), so while I wish that was the case, unfortunately it's not. I'll only be satisfied once he's off of TV completely.

Life - The ongoing story of Detective Charlie Crew lasted just two seasons and 32 episodes. The ratings weren’t high enough for a third season, even for the struggling peacock network.

Spoiler:
Though this show looks like another boring procedural on the surface, it really wasn't. Well, I guess it was, but it was so damn quirky that it didn't have that feeling of sameness that most of them have. Combine that with the fact that it had an overarching conspiracy storyline to go along with the weekly cases (think Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, where it had regular case of the week episodes (Stand Alone episodes) and also ones related to an ongoing storyline (Complex episodes), then you can see that the show was definitely above average compared to its peers. Plus, someone who worked on this show had an affinity for hot redheads, because there always seemed to be a lot of them on the show (which is definitely a plus in my book). I'd like to blame Jay Leno for this cancellation, because I feel that if they didn't have five less hours of programming to fill, this show almost certainly would have been picked up for another season.

Lipstick Jungle - The series about three powerful and beautiful ladies from the big apple, lasted just two short seasons and 20 installments.

Spoiler:
How this was not cancelled after its first season is beyond me, which is why Lipstick Jungle is the recipient of the 'What About Brian? Award for Excellence in Continued Crap' for 2009. Seriously, not even Kim Raver could make this show good, and I'm usually a sucker for shows that feature 24 alumni.

Medium - Though the show was still a decent performer for the peacock network, NBC cancelled the Patricia Arquette series after five seasons. Fortunately, CBS picked it up and will run season six on Friday nights.

Spoiler:
I'm actually kind of surprised by this, since Medium had been a stronger performer than every other Monday night show on NBC most weeks, yet Chuck and Heroes got renewed and this show didn't (by NBC anyway). Jay Leno is probably partially to blame for this, along with network/studio politics (the show was made by CBS Television Studios, which meant NBC Universal wasn't getting much of the aftermarket profits (DVD sales, syndication rights); this explains why they chose Heroes over it (it's produced by NBC Universal), but not Chuck (produced by Warner Bros.), though they probably have some screwed up reason why). I never got into the show myself, but that's because I never watched it rather than because it's terrible or anything.

Addendum: Apparently there is a screwed up reason why they saved Chuck over Medium. According to http://tvseriesfinale.com/articles/m...com-cancelled/, they didn't save Medium because there was no outpouring of support for the show. Let's see, the show was actually doing well in the ratings, so maybe the fans actually thought the show wasn't in danger of being cancelled in the first place. Seriously, I've heard some retarded shit from the networks before, but this may take the cake.

Momma’s Boys - Co-executive produced by Ryan Seacrest (American Idol), this reality show centers around a group of mothers who help to choose a mate for their complacent sons. All six episodes of season one aired and there won’t be any more.

Spoiler:
I saw a bit of this show, and it was terrible as expected. Pretty much anything that Ryan Seacrest produces is terrible though, so no surprise there.

Most Outrageous Moments - Used mostly as filler by the network, this series showcases humorous clips from television and everyday situations. A few unaired episodes will pop up in the coming months (July 21st, July 28th, August 26th, and August 28th) but no other original episodes will be produced.

Spoiler:
This is another one of those shows that I never seriously watched, but watched when I had nothing to do while waiting for something else to come on. It's exactly what it sounds like, nothing good, nothing terrible.

My Name Is Earl - NBC has cancelled the Jason Lee comedy about karma correction after four seasons. The show is currently being shopped to other networks and may end up on FOX.

Spoiler:
I watched the first season of this show on DVD back when I was doing that TV DVD Showdown thing (that turned out great, didn't it?), but even then I wasn't too enthusiastic about it (it's a good enough show, but not spectacular or anything). The one thing I did mention back then was that I just didn't see this as being an NBC show, and that I thought FOX would be a better fit for it, and now it may actually be making that switch (I'm kinda skeptical about it actually happening though). If it does actually get cancelled, I can't say that I didn't see it coming, since I heard it hasn't been as good in later seasons.

My Own Worst Enemy - Christian Slater’s foray into series television was cut short after only nine episodes. Viewers were left hanging and were robbed of any resolution.

Spoiler:
Eh, this show turned out to be pretty bad, and I ended up tuning out by the second episode. No shit off my back that it was cancelled without a proper resolution, because it never seemed like the type of show that would offer one to begin with (which is why I said in my original review that it should have been a miniseries or a movie rather than a weekly TV series).

Nashville Star - A reality competition that ran for five seasons on USA Network before moving to NBC. Billy Ray Cyrus hosted the most recent run, season six. The show’s been cancelled by the peacock network and there’s been no mention of the series returning to its original cable home.

Spoiler:
I kinda question who was even watching this show for the past five season on USA, but I can't believe that no one was smart enough to figure out that this show would do terrible on network television.

Superstars of Dance - A dance competition series that pits groups of eight international dancers against one another. Hosted by Riverdance veteran Michael Flatley, this show lasted five episodes. It won’t be coming back for season two.

Spoiler:
I really don't get this whole dance craze. Dancing With The Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, all these shows are terrible to me, so I guess one less dance show the better.

The Tonight Show with Jay Leno - After 17 years, the late night talk show host turns over the venerable program to Conan O’Brien. Leno will be moving to his own primetime series in September 2009.

Spoiler:
This is it. I feel like now, after going through all these shows, we have finally reached the final boss. Seriously though, before this, I never really had any problems with Jay Leno. I didn't really like his show, but I didn't hate it either. But now, to be quite frank, I hate the guy. The fact that he's taking away five hours of programming a week, which could be argued as the reason several of these shows were cancelled, just pisses me off. Hell, even if those shows were cancelled anyway, that's still five hours of potentially great new shows that we may never see. And if this actually turns out to be a success, I fear that other networks may start to follow suit. This is just bad, plain and simple, and while I hope it turns out to be a colossal failure, it'll still too late in some cases.

You can't overlook NBC's part in this, though. Leno was considering jumping ship, so they just played into his fear mongering by doing this. I know ratings have been pretty shitty across the board, and the threat of losing Leno to another network was too much for them, but was this seriously the best solution they could come up with? It seriously just makes NBC look scared and lazy in my book.

Currently Playing: Lost Season Five Finale (late, I know)

Response entries:
The tl;dr entry on TV show cancellations, 2009-10 Season by Rockgamer

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (14 agents)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #328 of 386]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Rockgamer's Journal