Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Miles's Journal

Sneaking into my journal are you~

Miles's Journal Statistics
View Miles's profile
Entries 264 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 14 entries are private (5.3% of total)
Views 105337
Replies Miles has made 684 comments [view stats]
Comments 3199 comments (12.12 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 395 props given to Miles [who be proppin?]
Buddies 70 buddies
Relation You are not Miles's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries [Viewing Single Entry]
Aug 23, 2008 - 05:54 PM
Day 7 up to the return home - Japan was freaking awesome.
Response to: Day 5 and 6 - Japan continues to be awesome by Kairyu

Well, here we go. Another few episodes on our adventures in Japan crammed into one entry. On Monday we decided to head out to Kyoto to visit the Fushimi Inari Taisha shrines which had fox statues all over the price. It ended up being a long hike for us in which we managed to take a detour and get lost.

Spoiler:

This is the beginning of a long trip which took much longer than
expected.

Just a bunch of photos around the entrance area.

Another tanuki statue. Kairyu had to take a picture of it since he's
obsessed with these statues and their oversized nutsacks.

Here is one of many fox statues we will see.

Needs more fox.

We both decided to pose for a quick picture before tackling this loooooooooooong path.

Map of long path.

More pictures of the pathway. These gate tunnels are absolutely
amazing.

After the first set of tunnels there were charms and other little things you could buy. These are wooden fox faces that visitors could write their name and draw a face on the fox before hanging it up here for others to see. We bought a few charms which I'll show and explain later.

Just a bunch of more pictures that were taken as we climbed this monster. We must have passed over a 100 foxes by now.

Lots of cats along the road. They're used to people and don't run at first sight.

This was a photo taken off a side path we took. You would get a really nice view of the city from up here.

This is from the JR station. The circle shows where we took the picture before this one. Yeah, we were pretty high up.

On the way back down we took a detour which led us off the path into a forest area with a dirt path. After a long walk we randomly ended up far off into a residential area (which was literally a maze). Some old guy who could speak English came up to us and offered his help. He asked what temple we're looking for and I showed him a picture off my camera. He gave us instructions on how to find our way out and after walking into a few dead ends we found the school he was talking about. From there we used a map to get to the JR station which was another stop away from where we originally got off.

These are the charms we bought. They each have different meanings. I bought one for safe travel while driving, one which should help me find true love, and another for something else (I don't remember at the moment). Kairyu bought a bell and a charm for smooth traveling and good luck. His smooth traveling failed at first since we managed to get lost on the trail. It worked later on though when we had to race the train system back to Narita.

All in all, the trip here was well worth it. I did get two foot blisters though which made the next day a bitch. After that we made ANOTHER trip to the Pokemon Center in Osaka since Kairyu loves wasting time to buy more Pokemon crap. It was worth it though because after he blew more money we got to try out a MOS Burger which had fantastic food. They even played American music inside.

http://www.mos.co.jp/english/

And here's a 5 minute video of the path we were on:

YouTube Video

On Tuesday we went to Himeji Castle. It was about an hour train ride on the special rapid from Shin-Osaka to Himeji. The trip was fun but a bit painful for me since I had foot blisters on my right foot. Once we arrived it didn't hurt as much since the excitement of being in a huge Japanese Castle made me forget about the pain. More pictures inside:

Spoiler:

Just some shots outside the entrance.

Some distance shots of the castle. Won't be long before we're actually inside.

MAP SHOTS! Pretty cool~

More outside shots. Pretty soon it starts pouring rain as soon as we enter the west side. Before you enter you are required to take off your shoes and wear sandals. They gave us larger ones since Americans have big feet. The big ones they gave me were actually too big and easily fell off my feet when going up the steep stairways.

Some shots inside the castle. You can see how they attacked their enemies through these little holes.

Just a few more shots of the inside.

After that we made our way towards the center main part of the castle. Once there, it was the same thing again with the no shoes allowed rule. The main area was a tower with steep stairs to climb. Inside there were plenty of weapons and other things to look at, along with a nice view up top.

And these are some photos from the inside and 2 photos from the view you get at the top of the tower.

And a few other random photos.

Great castle overall. It had a much more authentic feel than Osaka Castle did just because they didn't completely transform the inside of the castle into some museum. Anyone who visits Japan needs to see this place.

On Wednesday we decided to explore the nerd area of Osaka. We went to Nipponbashi and visited Den Den Town which had a ton of electronic stores and Video Game stores. Some of them had 6 floors of video games, video game music, anime, anime music, and hentai. One store that really stuck out was this retro store which carried old obscure Japanese games ranging from Mother NES carts to Neo Geo games. The floor was covered with retro game screenshots and the store was playing retro music along with TVs playing random retro games. It was like gamers heaven. We were saying that people like Colonel Skills would bust a nut 10 times straight just from setting on step into the store. It was fucking AWESOME.

On the second floor they had a whole area of US imported games and of course a bunch of old obscure video game music. Kairyu and I probably spent a good half hour just browsing the VGM section alone. However, most of the stuff there was out of print and expensive. Kairyu bought one album while I waited for another video game store with new stuff to spend my money on.

This is a picture of the stuff we bought that day:

On Thursday we spent most of our day on trains riding back to Tokyo. We had a hotel room arranged in Narita, Tokyo right next to the airport in order to save money since our JR pass is no longer active on our last day and its expensive to travel back and forth from central Tokyo. After checking in we decided that we needed to at least visit Akihabara just once. The last Narita express train rain at 8:03 and it was already almost 6 PM by the time we hopped on a train back to Tokyo. We made it to Akihabara and spent a good hour exploring the area. Once again we found an awesome electronics store with a HUGE floor dedicated to just video game stuff. Kairyu bought some stuff while I passed since I was running low on yen. Then we rushed like madmen back to Tokyo itself since we only had 15 minutes to catch our train. Since we mastered the JR system at this point we managed to run back and make it on time. That charm Kairyu bought came in handy.

Last day was pretty boring and depressing. After waking up we checked out and pretty much hung out at the airport and a bit of Narita while waiting for our flights. Then we said our goodbyes and took the ride back home. I honestly didn't wanna leave. The experience I had in Japan was amazing and I enjoyed every bit of the trip. My only regret is that we didn't get a chance to make more friends. We were mostly busy with sightseeing and buying stuff. Next time I come back I hope my Japanese will be better and that I can do more social things like visiting the English speaking bars and socializing more with the Japanese locals. We only exchanged emails with one of our Japanese roommates in the hostel. I'm hoping I can get cheaper tickets next year for another trip back because just after one day being back home I already feel down from not being in Japan anymore. I'm jetlagged as hell too.

I'm trying not to miss it too much and view this more as an opportunity to improve my Japanese in class so I can have better communication skills when I return. This trip has definitely increased my motivation to study the language a lot more. Even Kairyu was saying he wants to brush up on his Japanese before he returns.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [9] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (8 pounces)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #181 of 250]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Miles's Journal