Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Ah! Amoeba's Journal

Journal Banner

Ah! Amoeba's Journal Statistics
View Ah! Amoeba's profile
Entries 208 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 2 entries are private (0.96% of total)
Views 102752
Replies Ah! Amoeba has made 1321 comments [view stats]
Comments 1263 comments (6.07 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 1278 props given to Ah! Amoeba [who be proppin?]
Buddies 39 buddies
Relation You are not Ah! Amoeba's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries [Viewing Single Entry]
Jul 8, 2009 - 01:17 AM
An Album for You?

Released: 1977
Genre: Country, Folk

Originally Posted by Allmusic.com
Townes Van Zandt is better regarded as a songwriter than as a performer, and not without reason -- he was a peerless lyricist with a singular ability to capture the landscape of the heart and soul in words, but while he was a fine singer he wasn't exceptional, and the ravages of alcohol, tobacco and drugs took a fearsome toll on his voice in his last years. But Van Zandt could work magic in front of an audience under the right circumstances, and while a wealth of live recordings of Van Zandt have emerged since his passing on the first day of 1997, Live at the Old Quarter, Houston, Texas ranks with the very best of his concert albums. Live at the Old Quarter is simple and spare, capturing Van Zandt in a 1973 solo performance at a Houston saloon with just his acoustic guitar for company, and the engineering ably captures the ambience of the room, with the audience clearly caught up in the spell of these songs. The set features 26 songs, all originals except for covers of "Cocaine Blues," "Nine Pound Hammer," and "Who Do You Love," and Van Zandt brings these tunes to life with an easy grace that's a striking complement to the emotional gravity of his lyrics, though he also gives his lighter side an airing here, occasionally cracking jokes and offering a pair of funny talking blues numbers, "Talking Thunderbird Blues" and "Fraternity Blues." If the renditions of "Pancho & Lefty," "If I Needed You," "Rex's Blues," "For the Sake of the Song," and "Tecumseh Valley" aren't quite definitive, they're beautiful and affecting, and thanks to the sharp performances, on-point vocals, and superb set list, this is a superior document of Townes Van Zandt on-stage, and is a fine introduction to his body of work.

Disc 1:

1. Announcement (by Wrecks Bell) – :44
2. Pancho and Lefty – 4:08
3. Mr. Mudd & Mr. Gold – 3:40
4. Don't You Take It Too Bad – 2:57
5. Two Girls – 3:51
6. Fraternity Blues – 3:07
7. If I Needed You – 3:18
8. Brand New Companion – 4:20
9. White Freight Liner Blues – 3:26
10. To Live Is to Fly – 3:20
11. She Came and She Touched Me – 4:09
12. Talking Thunderbird Blues – 2:33
13. Rex's Blues – 3:05
14. Nine Pound Hammer (Merle Travis) – 3:06

Disc 2:

1. For the Sake of the Song – 4:48
2. Chauffer's Blues (Lightnin' Hopkins) – 4:33
3. No Place to Fall – 3:08
4. Loretta – 2:26
5. Kathleen – 2:54
6. Why She's Acting This Way – 5:42
7. Cocaine Blues (Traditional) – 3:21
8. Who Do You Love? (Ellas McDaniel) – 3:44
9. Tower Song – 3:47
10. Waiting 'Round to Die – 2:35
11. Tecumseh Valley – 4:30
12. Lungs – 2:34
13. Only Him or Me – 2:42

These sorta entries are always sort of pointless, I think, as few download what anyone is recommending, and even fewer step up to carry the burden of listening to other people's bland taste in music. There may be a few others out there with a soft spot for old country tunes, though, so what the hell. Townes Van Zandt was a phenomenal lyricist, easily among the best in the genre, and wasn't nearly appreciated as much as he should have been. A friend recently clued me into this album, which is reportedly one of his best records. Amazon gives me the impression it's a somewhat pricey rarity ($50), and I've yet to come across it anywhere in person, so I'll share a Megaupload link here for any of you who would be interested in having this.

Enjoy?

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 cavestorys)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #113 of 206]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Ah! Amoeba's Journal