Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Temari's Journal

Journal Banner

Temari's Journal Statistics
View Temari's profile
Entries 425 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 2 entries are private (0.47% of total)
Views 196116
Replies Temari has made 1579 comments [view stats]
Comments 3159 comments (7.43 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 716 props given to Temari [who be proppin?]
Buddies 51 buddies
Relation You are not Temari's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries [Viewing Single Entry]
Jan 26, 2014 - 10:24 PM
NOLA - Go for the business, stay for the beignets
It's been almost two weeks since my trip to New Orleans ended. It feels like I'll never catch up on the sleep I lost on the road to getting there (which is saying something; I didn't even go there to party), but all in all, I'd do it all over again if I had to.

I've been pretty quiet about it, mostly because I've been entangled in my work. My company produces training for pharmaceutical companies, most of which have their big conferences at the beginning of every year. Quite by accident I was made a producer for one big training project spanning three different brands, all to come together at this big conference in New Orleans. It felt much longer than it actually was (projects kicked off around mid October), and there were some 70 hour work weeks mixed in that made me question what in the hell I was doing. But it all came together nicely, my boss was happy, the clients were happy, and I've pretty much secured myself as the producer for all projects associated with these three brands.

Unfortunately, I can't talk too much about the business side of things that happened during my time in NOLA... confidentiality, and all that legal stuff. But during the meeting we had a few opportunities to get out (mostly for dinner), and almost a whole day before our flight left. I wasn't disappointed. Not that I needed to get out to see all the sights. Here's the view from the hotel:

First, the food. Its a super food-centric city, and I tried every traditional food I could. Just about everything had a kick to it, which I absolutely loved. Gumbo, étouffée, beignets, muffalettas, po'boys, pralines, collard greens, and just some good 'home cooking'. Missed out on jumbalya though.

The po'boy was a BBQ Shrimp po'boy from the fancy restaurant in the hotel, was the first thing I ate in NOLA, and actually made me sick (Actually, I'm not sure if it was the food that made me sick, or the nerves at the start of the meeting). Later that day, we went to a place called Mother's, which showed me what a REAL po'boy looked like... and I regretted that my stomach still felt off, preventing me from trying the authentic NOLA staple.

At Sim's recommendation, we ventured to Cafe Du Mond, for the Beignets. Sim. Sorry I didn't tell you'd I'd be down there, but I knew I'd have next to no time to meet up. But you were spot on with Cafe Du Mond.

Naturally, I came out covered in confectioners sugar. Delicious, delicious sugar. Best hot chocolate I've ever had.

Oh yeah, and craft beers. Aw yeahhhhh (even though my co-worker pointed out that the frosty glass makes it look like pudding in this picture).

It have to say that even though it wasn't as warm down there as I would have liked, it helped clear up the sore throat/cold that I'd had for nearly 3 weeks. But its easy to forget about the 'cold' 55 they had down there when there's palm trees and trollies everywhere.

You know what else was everywhere? Mardi Gras beads.

EVERYWHERE.

Unsurprisingly, neither one of my sisters were willing to wear this if I bought it for them. (For those confused... Skills... this is what boobs look like! )

And, of course, the music. Music on every corner. In every bar and restaurant. I ventured down Bourbon Street with my co-worker on the last day, grabbing a beer in one and walking through others. It was fantastic... and since it was the middle of the day, there were only a few drunks wandering around, and only the slightest scent of piss and puke coming off the street.

Also, I saw the Mississippi River. It was gross looking. But kinda pretty at the same time.

All in all, it was a delicious, gorgeous city. I'd like to go back without the business tied to it, and more time to just wander around. Especially since our lack of time to wander around almost made us miss our flight back. We were still on Bourbon street at the time we said we'd be on the way to the airport. We made it to our gate about 3 minutes before they started boarding. It was a memorable way to rush from a city that never seemed to be in a rush itself.

Bonus Anecdote!:
One thing that DID make New Orleans a little uncomfortable and heart breaking for me was the sheer amount of homeless everywhere. I realize this might be, in part, due to Katrina.

On the last day, I had two very different experiences with the homeless of NOLA.

On our way to Cafe Du Mond, a man sitting on a large set of stairs saw us coming and turned over the cardboard sign he had, so we couldn't see what it said. He started speaking to us as we approached, and essentially said "Ladies. Ladies. Look. I've been thinking about something. There's something I've been thinking about doing. And I want you to tell me. Should I do it? Yes? Or no? Yes or no?" I'll be honest, my first thought was that he was asking us to tell us if he should hurt himself, or hurt someone else. We walked away, not saying anything. He began screaming at us, cursing and cat -calling all at once, blasting us for not giving him a simple yes or no. For the next quarter mile we had to tone him out.

On the flip side, we were walking down Bourbon Street and heard the soft tones of what sounded like a home-made xylophone. It was coming from a young man in ragged clothes, sitting on a bucket at the end of the bar section. From the other direction, another set of tourists, enjoying the party scene, made it to the young man before we did. The man in the lead pulled out a half-full bottle of whiskey, leaned in, and held the bottle out over the instrument in the man's lap.

The young man looked up at him, stopped playing and said very clearly, "I don't want that. Thank you, but no." And he smiled and nodded at us as we walked past.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [6] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (5 fans)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #417 of 423]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Temari's Journal