Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
map car man words telling me to do things's Journal

Journal Banner
Welcome!

map car man words telling me to do things's Journal Statistics
View map car man words telling me to do things's profile
Entries 747 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 1 entries are private (0.13% of total)
Views 420047
Replies map car man words telling me to do things has made 4279 comments [view stats]
Comments 6494 comments (8.69 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 2226 props given to map car man words telling me to do things [who be proppin?]
Buddies 61 buddies
Relation You are not map car man words telling me to do things's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries [Viewing Single Entry]
May 8, 2007 - 08:39 AM
Whoa nao
So what did Q do while GFF was down? Did he buy something? Why yes he did! Are there photos? Not really, no.

I did complete three games, though. Exciting!

Shortly after GFF went down again, I finished God of War 2. What a massive disappointment that turned out to be.

It had its moments of course (mostly when fighting something really, really big), but in the end, I felt regret over buying the Special Edition (even though it's unopened for now as I played the promo copy I already had).

Basically more of the same, but I no longer gave a shit about Kratos and his destiny. The first game managed to tread a fine line between keeping Kratos both likeable and unlikeable. He is, in effect, the kind of videogame character I despise. Ape-like, violent, brutish bag of cliche and "gruff" voice, he still earned my respect through the constant moments of "oh holy crap" the game brought on, and his turmoil and hatred of himself over his family was in the end somewhat sympathetic. I felt his vengeance was justified.

GoW2 didn't have even that. A boastful, excessively violent brat gets slapped down for getting carried away with missbehaving, and I'm somehow supposed to cheer him on on his quest for "vengeance"? Sure, I was with him the whole time when fighting the Colossus and Kraken, but Perseus? Icarus? I felt like I was picking on little children, it was pathetic. The blood sacrifices and such were all things that made me repulsed even more.

And to end it all in an extremely annoying boss fight followed by an unsatisfying cliffhanger ending? I'm beginning to think I now know how many Halo 2 haters must have felt back then. And the spike wall of Hades had nothing on that fucking elevator with the lowering ceiling and the skeletons.

So yeah, still had an admirable amount of "oh holy crap" moments, but the rest just overweighed them and while I don't regret playing it, I can't agree with people giving this such high marks, much less warbling it's better than the first.

ANYWAY.

After GoW2, I was at a loss of what to play. At some point I suddenly got a craving for Half-Life 2 (PC) and decided to try and finish it.

I hadn't played it for a good year or so and had never completed it, much to my shame. Turned out I was only a few hours away from the ending. Perhaps a slight letdown on the whole outcome, considering everything it had been building up to till then, but the setpieces were so amazingly strong I felt more than willing to forgive it. I'm just saddened I'll need a new computer before I can tackle Episode 1 and 2 (and possibly Lost Coast as well).

Still a magnificent game, either way. I kinda wish I could combine analogue movement with mouse control for even a slightly smoother experience, but even like this, crappy keyboard and aching wrists included, it stands head and shoulders above other FPS games (excepting Halo of course, but that's a different matter). Orgasmic, as I said years ago.

After HL2, I was looking through my games for more short titles. Looking back and forth between Second Sight (Xbox) and Psychonauts (Xbox), I eventually went with the latter and proceeded to finish it with about 16 hour completion time. I absolutely loved it. I think it was the combination of Tim Schafer's wonderful writing and design, the freedom of movement, and the fact that I haven't played a 3D platformer for ages, that is felt so addicting and fun.

The characters were marvelous, and while the basic structure was that of any other hub-based 3D platformers, the dialogue, visuals and excellent abilities kept it hilariously entertaining and actually funny. I want to order a Lili T-shirt from Double Fine's store now ;_; Damn lack of credit cards

I also hope Double Fine gets funding for their next game and this time around it'll get the attention it deserves

Other than that, been working on this flash project that got rolled on me by my teammates, plus watching Lovely Complex, Gurren-Lagann and reading new chapters of UxU, whenever available.

Currently Playing: khuskan: Outside (Absolut Fin)

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [1] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (4 haibane)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #237 of 746]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
map car man words telling me to do things's Journal