Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon's Journal

Journal Banner

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon's Journal Statistics
View Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon's profile
Entries 92 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 2 entries are private (2.17% of total)
Views 181645
Replies Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon has made 1744 comments [view stats]
Comments 1057 comments (11.49 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 281 props given to Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon [who be proppin?]
Buddies 0 buddies
Relation You are not Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries [Viewing Single Entry]
Oct 10, 2009 - 04:46 PM
55 Fake Cards (Magic the Gathering Nerdery)
I got into a somewhat heated argument with a friend last week. He works the overnight shift at a hotel reception desk and, to kill time, had made a bunch of fake Magic cards. He showed them off with pride but I was visibly less than impressed. Although he's been playing the game since around 1998, a lot of his ideas were either underpowered or just plain didn't work at all. I tried to offer suggestions for improving his ideas, without being a jerk about it, but he was already offended by my less than glowing reception.

We went back and forth on what constitutes a good card and eventually a challenge was issued: if I know so much about designing fake cards, why don't I make a bunch of my own and show him how it's done?

So I did. I spent a week, compared to his three, and cranked out 55 Magic cards. He has yet to see them, but I'm posting them here for general review, in case I'm overestimating my own skills.

(A note for those who know what I'm talking about: I'm a "top down" designer. I come up with a good card name, or find a compelling piece of artwork, and design a concept to match. Rarely do I come up with the mechanic first, then look for the aesthetics to go with it. I think this method adds a lot more to the flavor of some cards.)

Spoiler:

I don't play much anymore, but I like to think that if Wizards of the Coast were hiring, I'd stand a decent shot at getting an interview, at the very least.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [1] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (9 fleeps)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #55 of 90]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon's Journal