Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon's Journal

Journal Banner

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon's Journal Statistics
View Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon's profile
Entries 92 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 2 entries are private (2.17% of total)
Views 181536
Replies Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon has made 1744 comments [view stats]
Comments 1057 comments (11.49 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 281 props given to Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon [who be proppin?]
Buddies 0 buddies
Relation You are not Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries [Viewing Single Entry]
Dec 11, 2008 - 05:21 PM
Trapped In a Well-Meaning Limbo
I'm currently in Pittsburgh to participate in a drug study. The drug tastes like shit but it's effective and they already know it has no ill-effects. But that's not what I wish to discuss.

Because my visit is related to the local hospital system (UPMC), I can stay in something called a "Family House." It offers lodging at a reasonable rate - $10 per night - but lacks the frills and services of an actual hotel. You supply and prepare your own food. You make your own bed and change your own linens. You're required to clean and vacuum your room before you leave, and there's absolutely no food allowed outside the commons area. If you know what a Ronald McDonald House is, you can get the gist.

And I've grown to hate it here. Aside from the abject dullness, I've come to detect a strong sense of malaise in the air. Some folks believe that emotions can be imprinted in the walls of a building. I am wondering if this is true, as I have plenty of energy when I am elsewhere but find myself drained whenever I return to the Family House.
The typical visitor is here because a loved one is in the hospital for a significant period and the family, who lives far away, has nowhere else to go. Many people spend weeks or even months here as their loved ones recover, or sometimes, wait to die. Other patients have recovered from surgery and are well enough to move about on their own, but not well enough to return home, as I was for a while in November.

Whatever the circumstance, it produces an aura of boredom, fear and hopelessness in the vicinity. The expressions on some folks' faces is one of thorough fatigue and numbness: they've been here for months and all sense of routine and home life is gone - THIS is now their life, until their relative recovers. And it's a bleak existence, living from day to day with little purpose, forbidden to return home because of the sense of duty to the sick. Life in limbo is not life at all, in my opinion, and it's that muted sense of despair that permeates everything in this place.

And I can't stand it. The only reason I'm here is because I am not yet allowed to drive on my own. Had I my druthers, I'd be staying at a Marriott or Holiday Inn - they offer discounts to UPMC outpatients. But the cost for two people is still a lot, and it's hard to refuse a fee of $50 for five nights when you're forced to travel with someone.

It's nice that a place like this exists for those truly in need, but I've paid my dues and am in recovery with a lot of hope for the future. I'm not supposed to feel wrung out just because of where I am. I return home to Buffalo tomorrow afternoon and I'm already chomping at the bit. I don't belong in an environment like this. I tried to explain to my Dad and he doesn't seem to comprehend.

I just needed to get that off my chest.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (8 fleeps)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #29 of 90]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon's Journal