Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon's Journal

Journal Banner

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon's Journal Statistics
View Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon's profile
Entries 92 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 2 entries are private (2.17% of total)
Views 181676
Replies Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon has made 1744 comments [view stats]
Comments 1057 comments (11.49 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 281 props given to Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon [who be proppin?]
Buddies 0 buddies
Relation You are not Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries [Viewing Single Entry]
Dec 10, 2008 - 02:46 PM
Let's Try This College Thing One More Time, Shall We?
Now that I am stable and have effectively triumphed over my respiratory problems, I should probably do something with my extended life. Thus, I'm going to college. My first two attempts failed because I kept falling ill.

I spent some time researching the two fields that interested me most - cooking and meteorology - and came to the decision that while the weather is indeed awesome to behold, the scientific side is perhaps a bit too dry for someone like me. With such an emphasis upon math, a subject I've never liked, I believe I would become bored, perhaps before I graduate. Cooking, on the other hand, is all about design and innovation, skills close to my heart. It doesn't pay as well as the sciences but I would prefer to be satisfied with my career than resent a dull one.

After some research, I've concluded that the Art Institute of Pittsburgh's culinary arts program is the best and most accessible for me. The syllabus is nearly identical to each other culinary school in the tri-state area, including the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY, but for less money and within reasonable driving distance. The other culinary in Pittsburgh is a cordon bleu and focuses only upon French cuisine, and I'd like to be more well-rounded than that. It's also 40% more expensive.
It also helps that I'll be required to visit the hospital in Pittsburgh routinely for the next few years, so if it's only 20 minutes away, all the better.

I toured the A.I. yesterday, mostly to see if it was even a place I could tolerate. I'd heard mixed reviews. I was, however, pleasantly surprised and the environment felt correct for me. I observed the students passing through the corridors, sketching at their tables, chopping ingredients, etc. I didn't have to exchange a word to know that they were my people. The building is right in the heart of metropolitan downtown, making for a backdrop to which I'm not accustomed, but one that is also quite fascinating to watch. I think those who gave me bad reviews of their time at the A.I. expected more of a sprawling campus, more of the traditional ivy league environment.

I'll be obtaining a Bachelor's of Science degree in cooking and restaurant management, but attempting to squeeze the four year degree into three years. It is apparently very common for A.I. students to study during the summer, though not mandatory. Studying in summer probably isn't a bad idea, as that's when I normally feel my best anyhow. The third year is optional but it's also the difference between an Associates and a Bachelor's degree.

There's a ton of stuff to do, I suppose. My target enrollment date is October 2009, pending approval from my doctor. The idea is frightening, even at 32, as my health never allowed me to live away from home before. I don't really know anyone here aside from Capo and Ultima, and they have their own courseloads to contend with. And there's so much stuff I'll likely need to acquire. I mean, I need to get dishware! Towels! A vacuum! Pots and pans!

I feel slightly intimidated by the whole process and cannot imagine how 18 year-olds so energetically go off to school. I'm getting ahead of myself - I haven't even filed for financial aid and scholarships yet - but part of me is already wondering if I'll be able to accept a different bed for three years. Or a roommate. I'm a light sleeper and don't need to be disturbed by some idiot snoring all night. I'll fill his nostrils with glue if I must. I qualify for a single-bedroom apartment, but there aren't many available. Perhaps I'll get lucky.

I just feel the need to forge onward and get this done while I can. I'm almost 33, I don't want to work in a supermarket deli forever.

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [2] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (11 fleeps)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #28 of 90]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon's Journal